PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Internet deemed basic telecom service by CRTC

rage2
12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/crtc-internet-essential-service-1.3906664

Good call. I was against internet being a basic human right, but guaranteeing 50/10 service as a minimum purchasable service is a step in the right direction.

HiTempguy1
12-21-2016, 08:53 PM
My parents live, quite literally, one minute outside the Red Deer city limits in an acreage community (ie. everyone has money and would gladly have high speed internet if it was available).

Nope. Friggin crazy in this day and age, they have to use cell modems :nut: 6gig for only $1gajillion/month!

01RedDX
12-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Thaco
12-21-2016, 08:56 PM
every time i see a CTRC ruling, i just watch for the companies to poke holes all through it and make it in to complete bullshit.... happens every time

Must unlock phones
$50 CA-CHING

Must eliminate 3 year plans
CA-CHING charge people more for hardware, more for plans, no more grandfathered plans if you want a subsidized phone

must provide basic cable for $20
CA-CHING give the garbagest garbage and charge for every channel addon and un bundle it from intternet if they want that plan so it actually costs MORE!

now this....

The only real solution is open the damn border so we get some REAL competition! I dont know how this entire industry cant be cited for price fixing, they all just follow each other around like dogs sniffing each others asses.

https://cuteoverload.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/13703238355_9eddc4852e_o.jpg

RealJimmyJames
12-21-2016, 09:15 PM
You do know that there are a ton of websites that will unlock phones for much less than the carriers, right? Last phone I unlocked was like fifteen bucks.

Thaco
12-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
You do know that there are a ton of websites that will unlock phones for much less than the carriers, right? Last phone I unlocked was like fifteen bucks. you do know those websites existed before the CRTC ruling right?

thats the exact point of my post, the telco companies just spin it in to another way to make money, they could do it for free, but the CRTC was too vague so they charge what they want

RealJimmyJames
12-21-2016, 09:32 PM
so the unlocking is widely available, and you are concerned about the prices that one segment of the market charges?

That's like complaining that Boston Pizza costs more than Panago.

pheoxs
12-21-2016, 09:37 PM
50mbit rural will be nice, my parents barely get 5mbit via radio where they're at, though telus' new 250gb option is really enticing.

Will be curious at pricing, I didn't see any limits so it's entirely plausible they launch it for 200/month for rural areas

Thaco
12-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
so the unlocking is widely available, and you are concerned about the prices that one segment of the market charges?

That's like complaining that Boston Pizza costs more than Panago. the point is the ruling was a completely useless joke, it was widely available before the CTRC ruling, and for a lot better pricing, the ruling did nothing except make it easier for lazy people with too much money

jacky4566
12-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Ive always wondered why Canada isnt adopting a wireless schema? Why waste all this money on Fiber to the home and copper lines when LTE speeds are plenty enough for most people. Build 1 tower per 1000 people with a strong fiber backbone and they could be laughing in profits.

ercchry
12-21-2016, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
50mbit rural will be nice, my parents barely get 5mbit via radio where they're at, though telus' new 250gb option is really enticing.

Will be curious at pricing, I didn't see any limits so it's entirely plausible they launch it for 200/month for rural areas

Nah, not their style... probably more likely to see a price hike across the board

speedog
12-21-2016, 10:59 PM
I wonder how many peole are currently at or above the CRTC's newly updated target minimum speeds of 50mbps download and 10mbps upload?

Build one tower per 1000 people, that would probably mean double the amount of cellular towers we have right now in Calgary.

No subsidized cell phones on two year plans that will be able to keep a grandfathered plan? Interesting as I upgraded my Rogers device less than a year ago and was able to keep my grandfathered plan.

Matty_10
12-22-2016, 10:00 AM
We get 3Mbps for $80 a month on our acreage.

Anyone know how much data streaming off an android box uses, if say 2 hours a day of streaming? Right now we can barely watch a Netflix video without mega buffering. Thinking about just going with a ridiculously high GB cell data plan instead.

msommers
12-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Confirmation Canadians get owned in the mobile world

http://images.dailyhive.com/20161221064957/LhEbn9M.jpg

From a Swedish study:
http://media.tefficient.com/2016/12/tefficient-industry-analysis-5-2016-mobile-data-usage-and-pricing-1H-2016-1.pdf

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Matty_10
We get 3Mbps for $80 a month on our acreage.

Anyone know how much data streaming off an android box uses, if say 2 hours a day of streaming? Right now we can barely watch a Netflix video without mega buffering. Thinking about just going with a ridiculously high GB cell data plan instead.

Depends on the quality but standard HD (High Quality) would rip through even a pretty huge cell phone plan in a couple of hours.

http://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ximg_555b8fb262ec9.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.nMO4BlQOP1.png

soloracer
12-22-2016, 10:19 AM
I live by Priddis and my options are minimal. I tried Davinci Broadband but the service was slow and intermittent. I remember when I got Apple TV to watch some shows. I ordered a movie and the message popped up saying it would take 24 hours to download. I guess I will have to watch the next day, right? Well the next day it still said 24 hours to download. Then I remembered you could stream from an iPad to the Apple TV. So I went and ordered the movie again on the iPad. Shortly after it started I got another message saying the file was too big and to go through my home provider. ARRRGGG! I paid twice for a movie that I could not watch. So I cancelled Davinci and looked for something else. Platinum doesn't get a good signal at my house and I have heard horror stories about Xplorenet. So now I have a cell based router. It is OK for speed - not super fast but not Davinci slow either. We try to be cautious on what we download and even then we end up around 11 Gig a month. The cost? Around $175. I would love another option and am glad the CRTC made the announcement.

rage2
12-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
I live by Priddis and my options are minimal. I tried Davinci Broadband but the service was slow and intermittent. I remember when I got Apple TV to watch some shows. I ordered a movie and the message popped up saying it would take 24 hours to download. I guess I will have to watch the next day, right? Well the next day it still said 24 hours to download. Then I remembered you could stream from an iPad to the Apple TV. So I went and ordered the movie again on the iPad. Shortly after it started I got another message saying the file was too big and to go through my home provider. ARRRGGG! I paid twice for a movie that I could not watch. So I cancelled Davinci and looked for something else. Platinum doesn't get a good signal at my house and I have heard horror stories about Xplorenet. So now I have a cell based router. It is OK for speed - not super fast but not Davinci slow either. We try to be cautious on what we download and even then we end up around 11 Gig a month. The cost? Around $175. I would love another option and am glad the CRTC made the announcement.
Jesus that sucks haha. I'm lucky if I don't go over 11gb during breakfast.

speedog
12-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Jesus that sucks haha. I'm lucky if I don't go over 11gb during breakfast.

Man and here I am thinking going over 350gb a month is a lot, our average is under 300, old people, eh.

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 10:42 AM
I probably average 20+ GB/day (up to 300 GB/day on occasion if I decide I want a new TV series or a few movies haha), I couldn't imagine having cellular internet and 11GB/month!

Disoblige
12-22-2016, 11:10 AM
My cell plan is 500 mb/month, and my internet is 3 MB/s fastest speed. I get by, I guess.. LOL :rofl:

Edit: I mean 3 Mbps.

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
My cell plan is 500 mb/month, and my internet is 3 MB/s fastest speed. I get by, I guess.. LOL :rofl:

3 MB/s actually isn't that bad if you aren't a heavy user, that's about 25Mbps which is in line with most entry level internet plans and used to be Shaw "extreme" lol.

Disoblige
12-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

3 MB/s actually isn't that bad if you aren't a heavy user, that's about 25Mbps which is in line with most entry level internet plans and used to be Shaw "extreme" lol.
Sorry, I mean I have 3 Mbps, LOL. And it's always at 3 Mbps no matter what time of day, so it's the infrastructure itself that is limiting it. Pretty sure I won't be around here by the time we get "high speed".

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Sorry, I mean I have 3 Mbps, LOL. And it's always at 3 Mbps no matter what time of day, so it's the infrastructure itself that is limiting it. Pretty sure I won't be around here by the time we get "high speed".

Oh my, that's no good :rofl:

soloracer
12-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Must be why Telus rolled out their $60-50GB - $75-250GB LTE rural internet service recently: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1889954-60-50GB-75-250GB-LTE-smart-Hub-(Rural-AL-BC)

250GB of LTE data for $75! You can't even get a 5GB phone plan for less than that. Shows you what a ripoff mobile data rates are.

Awesome! Thanks for that. Should save me $1200 next year plus I get 20x the data. Sweet!

KrisYYC
12-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm in the city and I'm on some old bare bones Telus plan that barely gets me 10mbps. But I'm a cheapskate and it's been fine for me so far.

Will this new ruling mean my speed will go up eventually?

rage2
12-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC
I'm in the city and I'm on some old bare bones Telus plan that barely gets me 10mbps. But I'm a cheapskate and it's been fine for me so far.

Only if you pay for it.

The ruling only stipulates availability of said speed. You can still purchase bare bones internet or even dialup if it's available.

pheoxs
12-22-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

Not necessarily, my understanding of it is they merely have to offer 50mbit / 10mbit as an option to everyone, however they can still offer slow speeds for less money if people want. If you're in the city you almost certainly already have access to 50mbit/s DSL so in theory it won't really make a difference.

That being said one of two things can happen:
A) it encourages more competition and pushes speeds higher for the same dollar as smaller ISPs may benefit from this push as well
B) big telecom will find some excuse to make it sound like this is costing them an arm and a leg and they'll jack up prices (see 2 year cell plans)

ZenOps
12-22-2016, 05:24 PM
250 GB for $75 cellular LTE makes living out of city limits of Calgary possible for me. Might make more trips out to the lake.

Seriously, how did people out in rural areas live for this long without? It was like third world internet.

Teksavvy also dropped its prices by a dollar and bumped up their caps 100GB per month on the bargain basement teirs.

soloracer
12-22-2016, 06:18 PM
Just checked my latest bill. Used 18Gig in the month. Strangely my data use increase coincides with my Grand Tour fetish. Cost = $263.74 :banghead:

Just called and ordered the new router and signed up to the 250 Gig / 2 year plan for $75 a month. Really didn't want to sign up to a plan but they say you don't have a choice. Figured I won't see any other alternatives in my area for at least two years so went with it.

KrisYYC
12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Only if you pay for it.

The ruling only stipulates availability of said speed. You can still purchase bare bones internet or even dialup if it's available.

Originally posted by pheoxs

Not necessarily, my understanding of it is they merely have to offer 50mbit / 10mbit as an option to everyone, however they can still offer slow speeds for less money if people want. If you're in the city you almost certainly already have access to 50mbit/s DSL so in theory it won't really make a difference.

That being said one of two things can happen:
A) it encourages more competition and pushes speeds higher for the same dollar as smaller ISPs may benefit from this push as well
B) big telecom will find some excuse to make it sound like this is costing them an arm and a leg and they'll jack up prices (see 2 year cell plans)

Ah that makes more sense. I just skimmed the article on my phone earlier.