PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day

GDCivicSi
12-26-2016, 08:04 AM
Today is Boxing Day!

I posted a comprehensive list of all the best Boxing Day deals: http://www.calgarydealsblog.com/2016/12/boxing-day-2016-best-boxing-day-sales-dec-26.html

I'm in today's Metro News & Toronto Star newspaper Boxing Day article. You can read the 'Boxing Day Deals Worth Watching For' article here (http://www.pressreader.com/@Raymond_Lau/XQUKvTiMu9_RDHAFZwqqiW37HHEQ3yWP4CNeMnVGeL01)

What are you hoping to buy today? Plan on going to a mall or shop online?

RickDaTuner
12-26-2016, 08:52 AM
Boxing day sales are very soft this year... Most places aren't even offering up Loss Leaders in their flyers.
As far as I can tell Last years retail prices, are this years boxing day door crasher prices..

I'm on hunt for a Snowboarding helmet, and maybe some goggles.

ExtraSlow
12-26-2016, 09:15 AM
The Bay is always worth a look for some new pants, and minhas brewery tour on the groupon site seems okay. Those are the only ones I'm interested in.

A couple of interesting deals over at memex, but overall, nothing to get too exited about.

flipstah
12-26-2016, 09:25 AM
NE Visions was dead. Same as Golf Town.

Demo drivers for good deal though.

Will give sitrep for XIron soon.

flipstah
12-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Abort mission

Shlade
12-26-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm debating if I should go out and see if there's anything... problem is I don't need anything haha

flipstah
12-26-2016, 10:29 AM
I'm just going for the adventure of finding a good deal

JohnnyHockey
12-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Nothing I need other than windshield washer, same as last year hahah and if I load up today I can save up to a whopping $10-20 over the course of the next year:rofl:

flipstah
12-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Costco on Boxing Day is less busy than a weekday lmao

msommers
12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
The Le creuset skillets at The Bay are hella tempting. Plus Ebates?!

J-hop
12-26-2016, 10:52 AM
Are Boxing Day deals ever really that great compared to what you can get during regular sales throughout the year??

Every once in a while I see a stupid cheap tv go up but when you google the model number it's some random model that seems to be a made for the sale and half the time has some really undesirable feature like only 2 inputs or something stupid.

I'm dreading going to CTire to pick up a couple essentials today. People there are crazy on regular days haha

BigMass
12-26-2016, 11:01 AM
No matter how good TV deals continue to get, it's 2017 and pretty much everyone I know has a good TV at this point. Not many people with top of the line 1080 screens are rushing out to buy a 4k tv with often worse picture quality. Retail has been lucky with all the new tech advances over the past decade. Everyone moved from a dumb phone to a smartphone and moved through a few upgrades by now. Everyone dumped their CRTs and moved to flat screens. Everyone purchased a tablet. Laptops became more useful and a lot of people replaced their 200lb desktop towers from the 80s with modern sleek powerful laptops. Now what?

theken
12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Now they make the stuff last only a few short years, then you have to replace. We still have a toshiba 27 tube tv from when I was about 10, works fantastic still. I've gone through a dlp, an led and an LCD since I was 24.

flipstah
12-26-2016, 12:22 PM
I bought Jordan 8s! Merry Christmas bitches

danno
12-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Costco on Boxing Day is less busy than a weekday lmao

I needed some ski passes and it was dead. Was there right at opening.

HiTempguy1
12-26-2016, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
The Bay is always worth a look for some new pants, and minhas brewery tour on the groupon site seems okay. Those are the only ones I'm interested in.

A couple of interesting deals over at memex, but overall, nothing to get too exited about.

I love The Bay for closeout pricing on old stock name brands. Just bought a ton of stuff this morning, knowing how much the diesel sweater I picked up nornally goes for, I was stoked. Always been good for boxing day, and if you go in the morning, lots of stock on the shelves.

I also just realized I havent bought any clothes besides jeans and socks in almost two years #bachelor4lyfe

Nothing else really interested me. Car part deals are shit right now.

Mitsu3000gt
12-26-2016, 01:57 PM
I've literally not seen one item so far I would consider an outstanding deal, haven't bought a single thing. Mostly look at electronics though.

J.M.
12-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Chinook was packed, I didn't buy anything lol

BestBuy in Deerfoot meadows was also really busy

nismodrifter
12-26-2016, 04:20 PM
stayed home, in pajamas, relaxing. couldn't be bothered to go out to deal with chaos

speedog
12-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Popped into the NE Memory Express to pick up a small regular priced item, saw the insane lineup for the tills, turned around and left.

ZenOps
12-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Sales are weak, but still - remember that Trumpaggeddon will happen on Jan 20th.

Which could mean anywhere from 10% to 55% import tariff on Chinese goods. Although we are in Canada, we are at the whims of the US transportation network.

BokCh0y
12-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Popped into the NE Memory Express to pick up a small regular priced item, saw the insane lineup for the tills, turned around and left.

Same with me. Couldn't be bothered.

FraserB
12-26-2016, 06:50 PM
Did my shopping online. Might have to wait a few days for delivery, but it beats standing outside in the cold for a couple of hours.

Xtrema
12-26-2016, 06:56 PM
Was introducing an exchange student that is the horror of boxing day in North America at Crossiron Mill.

There was not many deals at CM, picked up some Sketchers and some workout clothes, that's it.

Lesson learnt, no more boxing day for her.

That said, still went to MemX in NW in the afternoon and surprising it's NOT a shit show. Bought 2 Chromecast and a 3TB USB drive, in and out in 10mins flat.

zieg
12-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Hit the south MemX, showed up 5 min before opening and the line was all the way to the east side of the building. Probably 15 minutes until I hit a till though, so good on them for that. Got a mediocre deal on some computer hardware, but I needed it anyway so what the heck.

Type_S1
12-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Was introducing an exchange student that is the horror of boxing day in North America at Crossiron Mill.

There was not many deals at CM, picked up some Sketchers and some workout clothes, that's it.

That said, still went to MemX in NW in the afternoon and surprising it's NOT a shit show. Bought 2 Chromecast and a 3TB USB drive, in and out in 10mins flat.

Lol....people wear sketchers?

I went to deerfoot meadows best buy and witnessed a pushing and screaming match. Grabbed a micro SD that was half off and got out of there. The deals were terrible...I looked at a few TVs that were advertised on the front of the flyer and you are saving maybe 10-20% off full blown retail on a 2015 model TV. Gopro accessories were 5% off, a sonos soundbar I've have my eye on was $850 when regular is $900. Its honestly not worth the time going out on boxing day I've decided.

R!zz0
12-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Black Friday > Boxing day

msommers
12-26-2016, 07:41 PM
I couldn't even imagine going to Cross Irons today. I was driving up to Olds and traffic was backed up from the entrance to the mall all the way beyond the Stony Trail offramp, two lanes wide at a standstill.

There is no deal worth putting up with that shitshow :nut:

spikerS
12-26-2016, 07:42 PM
Yeah, no BD deals caught my attention, and it is all hype now, but I have been saying that for years.

OTown
12-26-2016, 07:51 PM
When will retailers realize that making boxing day a week long event only saves them and their customers headaches and stress?

Many have started to do it. Ultimately they get the sales they want, and the consumer is happy to not wait outside for 5 hours in the cold. Never made much sense to me.

Shlade
12-26-2016, 08:15 PM
Managed to not buy anything today other than a Pizza lol

By the way... anybody know where I could get a natural gas BBQ this time of year?

taemo
12-26-2016, 08:17 PM
grabbed 4 continental wintercontact si tires at the canadian tire in cranbrook this morning as my blizzaks finally gave up after 8 seasons, a local was asking me if the tires were on sale :rofl:

hopefully someone in invermere can install the tires so that i can finally drive back home.

ExtraSlow
12-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Managed to not buy anything today other than a Pizza lol

By the way... anybody know where I could get a natural gas BBQ this time of year? BBQ galore should be open tomorrow.

Xtrema
12-26-2016, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Lol....people wear sketchers?

I like them, been pain free ever since I switched to them a few years back. They are fine for walking/casual, not for sports.

Originally posted by OTown
When will retailers realize that making boxing day a week long event only saves them and their customers headaches and stress?

Many have started to do it. Ultimately they get the sales they want, and the consumer is happy to not wait outside for 5 hours in the cold. Never made much sense to me.

Oh it is a week long event but good deal are usually cleaned out within the 1st few hours on 26th. By 11am, most the stuff I want to buy has only sizes xs, s or xl, xxl left. Unless they release stock on the 23rd. Glad I traded in my XBone into XBone S on the 23rd instead the gone show that is today.

Shlade
12-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
BBQ galore should be open tomorrow.

Excellent I'll give that a look

nzwasp
12-26-2016, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
No matter how good TV deals continue to get, it's 2017 and pretty much everyone I know has a good TV at this point. Not many people with top of the line 1080 screens are rushing out to buy a 4k tv with often worse picture quality. Retail has been lucky with all the new tech advances over the past decade. Everyone moved from a dumb phone to a smartphone and moved through a few upgrades by now. Everyone dumped their CRTs and moved to flat screens. Everyone purchased a tablet. Laptops became more useful and a lot of people replaced their 200lb desktop towers from the 80s with modern sleek powerful laptops. Now what?

My main tv is a 42" LG from 2009 that does max 1080i and has busted speakers. My backup tv is a 32 inch prima (unknown brand) from 2007 that does max 720p. Might by a 4k 50" from costco tomorrow if the deals are decent. Superstore was selling a 50" 4k today for 498$ but i had never heard of the brand (isense) and it seemed like Visions sold the same model for $50 cheaper.

jwslam
12-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You know the drill...

I bought this game on Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IWALX00/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pWEwNa8pICg

cycosis
12-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by OTown

My promos run all week! :D

nismodrifter
12-27-2016, 07:10 PM
So ventured out today, just went to Southcentre, was not bad at all. Took maybe 5 minutes to park, but after that smooth sailing.

Ended up buying a 50% off Flames Jersey from Sports Chek, and a sweater from The Bay.

Returned home after that. No way in hell would I venture to Chinook or Cross Iron, don't need anything in particular.

JohnnyHockey
12-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Cross iron was normal today.... Didn't buy anything but a new hat at regular price.

Only boxing day deal I got was the $1.98 washer fluid from Home Depot, 8 bottles lol saved a whopping $8 or so :rofl:

nzwasp
12-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Came to chinook today. Took 1 hour to park every spot was full. Regret it now though.

G-ZUS
12-28-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
Only boxing day deal I got was the $1.98 washer fluid from Home Depot, 8 bottles lol saved a whopping $8 or so :rofl:

They were ~1.49 on BF :poosie:

C_Dave45
12-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I don't understand why anyone would go to a B&M store for any boxing day sale. We didnt bother with gifts this year and instead just bought stuff online on Christmas day. Biggest purchase was a 49" 4K tv for $549.

sabad66
12-28-2016, 04:26 PM
Only thing I picked up was the 6 piece ryobi tools combo for $299 from Home Depot. Regular is $399 so not an amazing deal, but it came with a free Bluetooth jobsite stereo worth $130 so figured I might as well.