PDA

View Full Version : Attempting a bike build: '72 Honda CB450

DeathBy240
12-29-2016, 09:22 AM
I've always thought about tinkering on a bike, but before I started on this project I had absolutely no knowledge or experience with them. The best way for me to learn is by getting my hands dirty, so I decided to jump head first, and I bought a CB450 that had been sitting in a shed for 26 years... Then I bought another one for parts.

Here are the first three mini episodes that I've completed so far:

ohrol3fipjs

FWvtIcaaG7M

8C7_I05z2II

firebane
12-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Hope you didn't much for those bikes. Not being ran in such a long time and not hearing it run is going to take a few dollars to get it running.

Also be aware if it hasn't been registered in a very long time the bike may need to go through a OOP inspection.

Finally this isn't really a bike you would want to take on any extended road trips but more for short highway trips or in town rides.

Good luck you will need it and visit the soch4 forums for help and questions.

DeathBy240
12-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Didn't pay much at all. $300 for the complete one and $100 for the parts bike.

I've actually talked to a few guys who have taken this on pretty long trips with success. They are a bit buzzy being a twin, but very reliable and easy to fix, from what I've learned.

ercchry
12-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Shouldn't take much at all, clean out all the old gummed up fuel and I bet they fire up

firebane
12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by DeathBy240
Didn't pay much at all. $300 for the complete one and $100 for the parts bike.

I've actually talked to a few guys who have taken this on pretty long trips with success. They are a bit buzzy being a twin, but very reliable and easy to fix, from what I've learned.

It's the buzziness that people don't like. You get off and your hands and feet feel weird lol.

Good prices for the bikes and I would suggest looking at 4into1 for parts as well.

Seth1968
12-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by firebane

It's the buzziness that people don't like. You get off and your hands and feet feel weird lol.

In before, well you know what :). Ok ok. Mine was going to be, "sounds like the chicks would love it".

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how this all works out. Curious though, if the gunk is cleaned out, fluids changed, etc, then is there any major reason why they wouldn't run? Provided of course that they were in ok mechanical condition when stored.

D'z Nutz
12-29-2016, 11:08 AM
That's awesome. I'm looking forward to this. How did you come across this and what made you pick this bike?

firebane
12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

In before, well you know what :). Ok ok. Mine was going to be, "sounds like the chicks would love it".

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how this all works out. Curious though, if the gunk is cleaned out, fluids changed, etc, then is there any major reason why they wouldn't run? Provided of course that they were in ok mechanical condition when stored.

Lots of old cracked rubber bits and parts.

Rocket1k78
12-29-2016, 03:41 PM
Good Luck on this, should be a fun adventure building it. I wish i had the time to do this.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
That's awesome. I'm looking forward to this. How did you come across this and what made you pick this bike?

Im not 100% sure on this but from what ive seen the CB's are the bike of choice in the cafe world. Every other cafe i see or hear about is a CB. Should be easy for parts and help id think. There was a guy on here who bought a sick ass CB i think it was.

e31
12-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Looks like fun. Except the rubber/plastic parts mentioned above. I've got an RD250 of the same era waiting for it's turn in the shop. Zippy around town, but everyone else in traffic hates my fumes.

Girls seem to like the v-twins more for some reason; KTM works for me. If ass-less chaps are more your "thing" the American brand does it too.

roopi
12-29-2016, 11:22 PM
:thumbsup:

I've been thinking about doing this all summer and looking at CB's as well just because it seems like they have the most parts available. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a decent deal.

DeathBy240
12-30-2016, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

With zero knowledge on bikes, I asked around to people who knew much more than I did. Honda CBs kept coming up with almost everyone I talked to. This one came up for sale for a reasonable price so I jumped on it.

Originally posted by roopi
:thumbsup:

I've been thinking about doing this all summer and looking at CB's as well just because it seems like they have the most parts available. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a decent deal.

Honestly let me know what type of CB you are looking for and I'll track one down for you, if you're really serious. I seem to have a knack for finding good deals. I just picked up a complete '77 CB750 SOHC for $100. I didn't need it, but too good of a deal to pass up and I ended up giving it to my buddy who fell in love with it.

jltabot
12-30-2016, 01:50 AM
Most people will say CB because the tail end of the bike is relatively straight. This allows for a lot of aftermarket bolt ons for people who want to get into a cafe racer type build, end up slapping on a flat bench to the rear end and calling it a day haha. It also helps for people who don't have access to a welder..

ive got a CM450 and learned pretty quickly what platform worked well for cafe racers. Choose a CB if that's what you're interested in (for those asking or have thought about pursuing it further). Might just do a resto-mod to my CM.

Would be interested to watch how this build turns out :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
12-30-2016, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by DeathBy240
I just picked up a complete '77 CB750 SOHC for $100. I didn't need it, but too good of a deal to pass up and I ended up giving it to my buddy who fell in love with it.

Nice find! Pics?

If I had a garage, I'd want to do a CB project too. They look like some really fun bikes.

firebane
12-30-2016, 09:26 AM
CB750s have a cult following but all the Cb series bikes are great. The problem is pepe want to hack them up into "cafe" bikes and ruin the bike most of the time.

I have had a 2 year project CB750 in the shop that I am hoping to finish by spring.

DeathBy240
03-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Next video is up!

W1b7RNlelrA

D'z Nutz
03-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Why did you eat that pickle?!

DeathBy240
03-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Two more episodes online!

And don't worry... I didn't eat a contaminated pickle. The magic of television.

Qm_SHJ2dPko

XXddAzj3MNc

firebane
03-27-2017, 08:09 AM
Haha your the pickle guy!

DeathBy240
12-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Here's a mini update! Another big update coming very soon.

QDWQaRaWxAw