PDA

View Full Version : Version of your smart phone

speedog
12-29-2016, 10:58 AM
It seems that there are a number of beyond members that will go out of their way to ensure that they have the latest version of a particular model of cell phone - iPhone or the Galaxy S series as examples.

That said, I wonder how many do not rock the latest and greatest and why. Myself, my last upgrade was about a year ago to a Galaxy S4 from an S3. I didn't want a huge screen and use the phone mostly for email, calendar, note taking, texting and photos in a minor amount, Dropbox and Google Drive and some surfing. No gaming, no videos, no FaceTime or equivalent stuff, no Instagram and such - just simple shit I would say. Best of all, I got to keep my ancient grandfathered plan - thought I'd have to lose that plan but the Rogers rep said I could keep it because my upgrade was so minimal. Didn't really make sense to me but I was happy.

So what are others doing, waiting to jump to that next fancier version or satisfied for some older clunker?

relyt92
12-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Rocking an S5 from a bit over 2 years ago. Had an S3 for 2 years before that. Really don't feel a need for anything fancier. Probably upgrade in another 6 months to a year.

blairtruck
12-29-2016, 11:25 AM
have a 6 plus for a few year now. didn't get it on release or anything. had a 4s before that. will use this till a 7s probably.

revelations
12-29-2016, 11:25 AM
I am on my 3rd Sony Xperia Z Ultra (released 2013 - used to be the biggest phone on the market).

I will continue to rock this device for the next few years as it works fantastic. 64gb SD storage is plenty for me.

jwslam
12-29-2016, 11:28 AM
Back when the Nexus line was affordable, yes I was on the latest and greatest bought outright.

Currently, for work it's whatever they offer without the pay-to-upgrade fee, so essentially whatever is $0 on a 2yr contract. Got a LG G3 back in Feb.

Personal phone: running a BB Priv. Debating an upgrade but as stated in other threads, I'm riding out micro USB as long as I can before I make a big jump to USB-C so I'm limited on my choices if I wanna upgrade again immediately.

Derail: I put my parents onto BLU phones bought out from Amazon. Bought them brand new at $140 each. Wondering who here rocks a non-mainstream phone i.e. the ones at Costco or the cheapo Huawei's (obviously excl Nexus 6p and likes)

Neil4Speed
12-29-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm a one feature phone guy, (within reason), I will try to continually buy the best camera phone on the market. I have an S6 edge and I am consistently impressed with the photo quality (everything else is good too), I will upgrade to a S8/Pixel when pricing comes to about $500 for an unlocked version.

01RedDX
12-29-2016, 11:45 AM

The_Penguin
I usually upgrade every 3 years. After 3 years my current phone is usually getting old and battery issues. There's rarely a new feature that I just gotta have.
Though the 6 plus being so much bigger was an incentive.
I also seem to be the only person who doesn't give a rat's ass about the camera "quality".
Yes it's convenient to have, but I don't care what chip/features you cram in, you're still shooting through a tiny POS lens. :)

ZeroGravity
Using iphone 4s since launch. :cry: Want to upgrade, but couldn't stomach the price, maybe the next iphone version. With the 4s, I won't be enticed into getting the watch as well since it is not supported.

D'z Nutz
12-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by speedog
That said, I wonder how many do not rock the latest and greatest and why.

According to this poll, not as many as you think:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398154/how-often-do-you-upgrade-your-phone/

speedog
12-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

According to this poll, not as many as you think:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/398154/how-often-do-you-upgrade-your-phone/
From that thread, jwslam with 32 phones already in probably a timespan that I've owned 5 or 6 - that makes my head swim.

AndyL
12-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Hahaha, back to a nexus 4 after my 5 decided to get stuck in a reboot loop...

Debating hunt for a 6P/5X or going to look at the Costco phones... this 4s screen has lost its very center channels on the digitizer...:dunno:

blairtruck
12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
ive had a iphone 3gs. iphone 4s and now an iphone 6s
all were bought after a new release was done.
so 3 phones since june 2009. before that i just used work flip phones.

G-ZUS
12-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Rocking an S6 from a year ago, bought it used

firebane
12-29-2016, 12:38 PM
I started with a S2 which just got slow and lack of space so upgraded to a S4. From there I went to a S7 as my S4 started having issues and I look for a phone that has an expansion slot for sd cards.

EK 2.0
12-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Always gotta rock the newest phone...

You want to be the shark of the ocean or a fish of the ocean??....

BokCh0y
12-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Sporting the BB Priv.

raceman6135
12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
I had been using a Samsung Galaxy S5 since January 2014, but after I've dropped it a couple of times, the front glass is in horrible shape, and the rear camera now takes crappy photos. Also, the battery life has diminished so much that I have to recharge way too often for the little activity the phone has. Not impressed.

Thought about hitting up eBay for parts to fix it, or get a local shop to do it, but I'd still have an outdated model after $100 to $200 in repairs.

I was able to get well over 3 years on its predecessor, a Samsung Galaxy SIIx.

I wanted to get the Nexus 6P because of the good reviews and I liked the looks of it, but TELUS would have made me increase my rate plan from my current $60/month to $90/month for a 2-year term. I have been without any income for a year, so I couldn't justify that.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy J3 from Costco for $175 about a month ago and have liked it so far. Not as fast nor as fancy as a brand new Galaxy S7 or iPhone, but it's what I can afford now and it does the job I need it to.

Once my contract commitment with TELUS ends in mid-January, thinking I'll switch to Public Mobile and will pay $45/month and will get 2 GB data in place of my current 1 GB/month with TELUS. Will have paid off the phone in one year, and not be under a contract, and will still have a lower monthly plan compared to current plan.

TL, DR: I'm too old and too poor for the newest version of a cell phone.

danno
12-29-2016, 01:10 PM
I'm going to upgrade right away to a iphone 7 plus, I'm not happy with my Samsung s6 as it's starting to fail.

max_boost
12-29-2016, 01:11 PM
iPhone6s+ but I am missing the size of the 5. usually get a new one every 2 years.

I had the 2g, skipped the 3g, got the3GS, skipped the 4, got the 5, skipped the 5s, got the 6+, gave the 6+ to gf and got the 6s+, skipped the 7, will buy the new one in sept or whenever released.

spikerS
12-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
I don't care what chip/features you cram in, you're still shooting through a tiny POS lens. :)

Photo courtesy of Rage2, taken with his tiny POS lens on his iPhone 7 (as much as I hate apple, its a sweet pic)

rage2
12-29-2016, 03:05 PM
haha that was a joke. That was shot on my Canon 40D 10 years ago. :rofl:

spikerS
12-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by rage2
haha that was a joke. That was shot on my Canon 40D 10 years ago. :rofl:

oh, well, you fooled me then! :rofl:

Dumbass17
12-29-2016, 03:31 PM
I've got my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact I bought new 2 years ago, contract is over and the phone is paid for. I find myself researching newer phones but nothing is really worth a) signing a contract for or b) spending $500+ for a phone. I'll rock this one til it dies. It's been the best phone I've ever owned so far!

killramos
12-29-2016, 03:53 PM
6S, had a 5 before that. I use whatever work gives me.

I use them until battery/slowness pisses me off too much then
I ask for a new one.

jltabot
12-29-2016, 04:39 PM
just "upgraded" from a 6 plus to an SE (see the million of RFD threads on Koodo's upgrade policy regarding the tab).

I missed the small, one-handed functionality of the iPhone 5. Now I have the best of both worlds where it still packs the guts of a 6s (for the most part). So far, no regrets.

ShermanEF9
12-29-2016, 09:38 PM
S5 active for work
Xperia Z3 for personal.

OU812
12-30-2016, 09:48 AM
OP3

flipstah
12-30-2016, 11:02 AM
Had to upgrade to the iPhone 6 because my iPhone 5 was dying.

danno
12-30-2016, 11:21 AM
Wife went and bought me a iPhone 7 plus and a Apple Watch yesterday. Going to keep my Samsung for obdeleven app for my golf r, normally I sell my old phone.

taemo
12-30-2016, 11:48 AM
did some shuffling through 2016 from 6S+ to SE to 6+ to 6S

pretty happy with the phone now and don't really need to upgrade to a new one anytime soon.
size of the + is nice but PITA to have in the pocket.

Bladeh
01-02-2017, 10:04 AM
iPhone 5, I'll keep it till it dies. I have no need for the latest features as I mainly use it just to text once in a while.

Used to get a phone every 3 years with Telus contract, it was free then, now who decided to change it to 2 year contract has the customer being bent over and spanked, $400 plus $85 a month for iPhone 7 come on that's BS!

Xtrema
01-02-2017, 12:50 PM
BB PRIV, now I can't get off this thing and sad that there won't be a follow up. If they just swap in latest Qualcomm chipset and change nothing else about the phone, I'll buy another one.

Perfect phone for Citrix Receiver for work.

All phone makers are now doing planned obsolescence. They don't want a repeat of the PC industry where PC users see no need to upgrade for 5+ years as long as your OS is current. So Qualcomm and Google deliberately stops offering drivers for older chipsets.

I just flashed Android 7.1.1 on my old Nexus 4 and it's still one of the best phone if you only do light work. That's a 4+ year old phone at this point and last OS Google put on this is 5.0. With 7.1.1 it still put most 2016 budget phone (<$200) to shame.

jacky4566
01-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bladeh
iPhone 5, I'll keep it till it dies. I have no need for the latest features as I mainly use it just to text once in a while.

Used to get a phone every 3 years with Telus contract, it was free then, now who decided to change it to 2 year contract has the customer being bent over and spanked, $400 plus $85 a month for iPhone 7 come on that's BS!

Same here. i5 is still a great phone. Just replaced the battery and its a new phone. There just isnt enough new features to make me upgrade.

Dumping of 3 years contracts was a bad move as well. Just a bunch of teenagers complaining they broke the phone and are stuck in a contract they shouldn't have agreed to.

J.M.
01-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Upgraded to the iPhone 7 after using the 5 for 4 years, longest I've ever had a phone :rofl:

revelations
01-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
BB PRIV, now I can't get off this thing and sad that there won't be a follow up. If they just swap in latest Qualcomm chipset and change nothing else about the phone, I'll buy another one.

All phone makers are now doing planned obsolescence. They don't want a repeat of the PC industry where PC users see no need to upgrade for 5+ years as long as your OS is current. So Qualcomm and Google deliberately stops offering drivers for older chipsets.

I just flashed Android 7.1.1 on my old Nexus 4 and it's still one of the best phone if you only do light work. That's a 4+ year old phone at this point and last OS Google put on this is 5.0. With 7.1.1 it still put most 2016 budget phone (&lt;$200) to shame.

I somewhat agree but I'm not quite sure that its "planned" as you might think.

Even way back in the day I generally had dumb phones only for 1-2 years at a time because the destruction rate was so high. People break phones all the time so most think its easy to upgrade the same time - instead of getting the same device.

The OEMs could make/sell cases that protect the device but most people wouldn't use them, which suits their business plan just fine.

So, not planned obsolescence as much as planned destruction .... lol

master hec0
01-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Hahaha, back to a nexus 4 after my 5 decided to get stuck in a reboot loop...

Debating hunt for a 6P/5X or going to look at the Costco phones... this 4s screen has lost its very center channels on the digitizer...:dunno:

there's an easy fix for that.

power button is sticking on. wack the opposite corner (bottom left corner) on a hard surface and it should fix your issue. usually good for months before it will do it again.

AndyL
01-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Yeah I tried that - to the point of disassembling and cleaning - it's software not hardware I'm reasonably sure.

Grabbed a Acer liquid zest at Costco for 100$ - needed something that worked. Camera sucks but it it's not the worst phone I've ever used lol.

master hec0
01-02-2017, 05:06 PM
Yeah I tried that - to the point of disassembling and cleaning - it's software not hardware I'm reasonably sure.

Grabbed a Acer liquid zest at Costco for 100$ - needed something that worked. Camera sucks but it it's not the worst phone I've ever used lol.

if you still have it and want to part ways with it let me know.

Im keeping my old nexus 5 alive but I could use a new GPS antenna and screen

thetransporter
01-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by speedog
It seems that there are a number of beyond members that will go out of their way to ensure that they have the latest version of a particular model of cell phone - iPhone or the Galaxy S series as examples.

latest is not always good..
latest stuff usually has more bloat ware and overly comlicated

still using HTC Droid Incredible 1 Verizon CDMA / on telus since April 2010

Tried newer samsung android smartphones. simple features are not there at all

revelations
01-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Ill bet I was one of the last users of TDMA phones in Calgary before Rogers shut the system down in the Winter of 2006. Had no choice but to get a newer phone (eBay).

thetransporter
01-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Ill bet I was one of the last users of TDMA phones in Calgary before Rogers shut the system down in the Winter of 2006. Had no choice but to get a newer phone (eBay).

yeah they are getting really aggressive with me to switch

but i want to switch but now they said TELUS extend is going to be shutdown, but it was invite only

bulaian
01-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Derail: I put my parents onto BLU phones bought out from Amazon. Bought them brand new at $140 each. Wondering who here rocks a non-mainstream phone i.e. the ones at Costco or the cheapo Huawei's (obviously excl Nexus 6p and likes)

I'm using a LeEco Le Max 2

KrisYYC
01-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

There's a new Blackberry coming out with a physical keyboard.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_dtek70-8508.php

uPXXTCZRID0

AndyL
01-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Lol... So after getting internal storage full this morning decided to pop in a SD card...

Found out why the camera sucked ;) plastic wrap didn't have a pull tab, didn't notice :facepalm: so much better now.

Lmao! SMRT real SMRT.

Xtrema
01-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by KrisYYC

There's a new Blackberry coming out with a physical keyboard.

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_dtek70-8508.php

uPXXTCZRID0

No 2K screen and it's small at 4.5", no slide out keyboard, no 835 being a mid 2017 release. I was underwhelmed. Slide out keyboard is the key.

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Lol... So after getting internal storage full this morning decided to pop in a SD card...

Found out why the camera sucked ;) plastic wrap didn't have a pull tab, didn't notice :facepalm: so much better now.

Lmao! SMRT real SMRT.

I actually think that gets a lot of people. I know on some Samsungs, there is no tab to pull or see, and the film is virtually invisible. I suspect a ton of people are running around with plastic film over their camera lenses. As the phone gets older, dirtier, etc. the film starts to lift and people start to notice it haha.

Alpine Autowerks
02-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Microsoft 950XL - Windows phone