PDA

View Full Version : Best electric range or gas upgrade

OU812
12-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Wondering who has recently upgraded ranges and what you went with?

Need to replace mine after 10 years its a crappy Frigidaire.

Also an option but MAY consider upgrading to gas. On that note any one know a rough cost to put gas in? The basement below is unfinished and the gas line to the bbq passes right under the range location. No idea if its as simple as tapping off or if the line needs to be upsized or seperate?

Thanks.

codetrap
12-30-2016, 09:32 AM
Gas line can be up to $1600, depending on if it needs to be up-sized or just a tap off it. I used Instant Plumbing and am happy with them.

As for the stove, there is no *best*. It's whatever is best for you. I'm probably going to buy a Samsung gas range from Costco because it fits my budget, has all the features I want, and comes with a couple years of extra warranty due to my Mastercard and Costco policies.

J-hop
12-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Can't recommend brand but we love our gas stove top. Hate the gas oven. Maybe ours is just shit but takes longer than I expected to heat up and seems to bake stuff "funny". Also hard to tell if the flame is actually on which sketches me out. Maybe it's going to take a few more years to get used to gas vs electric oven but I hate it.

OU812
12-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replys so far. I was wondering what it cheaper to run as well between gas vs electric?

The_Rural_Juror
12-30-2016, 10:48 AM
I am a strong proponent of induction if not for the initial cost of the range.

dj_rice
12-30-2016, 11:35 AM
My parents have the Frigidaire Professional Gas Range/Oven combo. My mom loves it and cooks some amazing meals on it when I visit. They bought it as a package along with the fridge as well. Not sure where they got it from. Most likely Trail Appliance

If you want the best. Get a Wolf Gas range. Not sure on your budget though

OU812
12-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Hahaha not anything like wolf......just a good ol basic stove i would think 1500 would be my max.

G
12-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
My parents have the Frigidaire Professional Gas Range/Oven combo. My mom loves it and cooks some amazing meals on it when I visit.

That analogy is the same as you take wicked pictures because you got a very expensive camera. :rofl: I'm sure your mother can cook a wicked meal even on a camping stove :)

Yeah induction is > gas. Only heats the pot, temperature control is just amazing, looks sleek, cleaning is easy and no igniter issues that most gas stoves. :)

fzE1bv8ig_Y

realazy
12-30-2016, 12:14 PM
+1 for induction. It heats up amazingly fast and super easy to clean as the surface is not the heat source so food does not burn as much if you spill.

Mitsu3000gt
12-30-2016, 12:42 PM
I've had a gas stove top (Frigidaire Professional Series) for the last 7 years and Induction is SOOOO much better. I will never even bother with anything else.

They are much easier to clean, boil way faster, and have a much more precise heat control. On top of that they are a lot safer (especially if you have pets or kids) because they heat the pot not the cooktop. We cook through paper towel all the time (between the burner and the pot) to completely eliminate mess with things like bacon that spatters when it cooks.

cet
12-30-2016, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Get a Wolf Gas range.

I have a Wolf gas range and love it.

J-hop
12-30-2016, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I am a strong proponent of induction if not for the initial cost of the range.

I had a coworker who raved about induction, how great it was, that you could touch it right after boiling water and not burn your hand. That you could boil water so much quicker.

Yea that bragging all ended the day the induction stove top stopped working and she got the estimate for a new motherboard replacement. She is now in the market for a new (non-induction) stove

Mitsu3000gt
12-30-2016, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

I had a coworker who raved about induction, how great it was, that you could touch it right after boiling water and not burn your hand. That you could boil water so much quicker.

Yea that bragging all ended the day the induction stove top stopped working and she got the estimate for a new motherboard replacement. She is now in the market for a new (non-induction) stove

How is that different than any other presumably high-end appliance having a severe failure?

My parents have a GE induction top and it's been about 10 years now without any issues but as always there are stories on both sides. Pick any appliance you want and there will be people who have had no issues and those with horror stories.

rage2
12-30-2016, 10:05 PM
I hate how slow gas is to boil water. Instant noodles is hardly instant. Large pot for pasta? Gotta start that shit early. Compared to induction it feels 5x longer. The most annoying thing with gas is that the side of the pots gets fucking hot as hell. Took me months to not burn myself cuz I'm terrible at cooking. When I pour out my noodles the soup touches the sides and sizzles all over the place making a huge mess every single time.

I wish we went with induction, but since I don't cook as much nor was I paying, I had no say in the matter.

The_Rural_Juror
12-30-2016, 10:10 PM

You probably drive a Prius.

Mitsu3000gt
12-30-2016, 10:32 PM
The main reasons I hated my gas stove were:

1) 10 minutes to boil a pot of water, more if it was huge

2) Having to perfectly center the pot over the flame, the burners never seemed to be the right size for my pots and options were extremely limited obviously.

3) keeping it clean was a nightmare. Not only was it super annoying to clean, but it also collected dust like a mofo, so you couldn't even procrastinate if you haven't cooked in a while, it ALWAYS looked dirty

4) As rage mentioned, the pots get super hot, and I've burned myself a few times before I got used to it. Even the handles would get hot if you left it on long enough.

J-hop
12-31-2016, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

How is that different than any other presumably high-end appliance having a severe failure?

My parents have a GE induction top and it's been about 10 years now without any issues but as always there are stories on both sides. Pick any appliance you want and there will be people who have had no issues and those with horror stories.

True, it seems though when things do go wrong the cost to fix is much higher with induction. Plus you have to switch over all your pots and pans, that is a pain in the ass.

Mitsu3000gt
12-31-2016, 01:44 AM

True, it seems though when things do go wrong the cost to fix is much higher with induction. Plus you have to switch over all your pots and pans, that is a pain in the ass.

Most people's pots & pans probably already work with induction. I know we didn't have to buy new ones. It is a consideration for sure, but I don't think it's an issue for most people and worst case scenario you can buy $1000 sets of pots for $300 all the time at The Bay or CT. IMHO even having to buy all new pots far outweighs how annoying it is to have a gas stove. Even the LeCruset stuff works on induction. Gas stoves still look more high-end though :)

The_Rural_Juror
12-31-2016, 10:16 AM
Here you go beyond buddies. Lowest prices on induction stove that I have ever seen. Courtesy of RFD.

Looks like the deal is dead (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sears-white-induction-range-750-2070242/)

Kenmore Elite for $899 + $75 shipping. I think this one is made by Electrolux.

Stainless Steel 6.1 cu ft (http://www.sears.ca/en/free-standing-stoves/-6.1-cu.-ft.-true-convection-range--stainless-steel-5201759_I.html?cgid=wh5_appliances_free_standing_stoves&AID=10626158&SID=rfdcb&affiliateid=749547&utm_source=comj&utm_medium=affiliate#prefn1=brand&srule=price-low-to-high&prefv1=Kenmore+Elite&start=1&cgid=wh5_appliances_free_standing_stoves)

Fugly Kenmore for the old people in the millenials thread. $749 + $75 shipping.

Kenmore 5.4 cu ft (http://www.sears.ca/en/free-standing-stoves/-5.4-cu.-ft.-true-convection-smoothtop-range--white-5201751_I.html?AID=10626158&SID=rfdcb&affiliateid=749547&utm_source=comj&utm_medium=affiliate)

jwslam
01-01-2017, 12:17 AM

This recently happened to me. The repair tech said it's because my 40A breaker was supposed to be upgraded to 60A which the appliance guy didn't tell me.

Currently still waiting for this $500+ replacement part plus the $120 I paid for this 5 minute assessment + whatever labour it'll take to replace this thing.

Nevertheless, I still love induction.

rx7_turbo2
01-01-2017, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
This recently happened to me. The repair tech said it's because my 40A breaker was supposed to be upgraded to 60A which the appliance guy didn't tell me.
Did the Tech elaborate? Because that sounds like a giant pile of bullshit. Were you having problems with the 40a breaker tripping prior to the issue? Also I've seen a few different appliance "Tech's" installing 60a breakers into circuits whose wires are not rated for that current so double check that's not part of the fix.

jwslam
01-01-2017, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Did the Tech elaborate? Because that sounds like a giant pile of bullshit. Were you having problems with the 40a breaker tripping prior to the issue? Also I've seen a few different appliance "Tech's" installing 60a breakers into circuits whose wires are not rated for that current so double check that's not part of the fix.
The guy who replaced the breaker said the wire was properly rated.

Not sure what the deal on the breaker size is, but I know I've had issues trying to pre-heat both ovens while using any burners (I have a dual) and neither of the ovens get to full temp

rx7_turbo2
01-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
The guy who replaced the breaker said the wire was properly rated.

Not sure what the deal on the breaker size is, but I know I've had issues trying to pre-heat both ovens while using any burners (I have a dual) and neither of the ovens get to full temp
If the oven draws too much it should be tripping the breaker. The breaker size itself or the fact it's tripping doesn't have anything to do with a malfunction of the oven. Sounds like a Tech that wasn't really sure what caused the issue and just yanked something out of thin air. None the less if the breaker has been changed, the wire size meets Code and the oven is up and running it doesn't really matter.

cidley69
01-03-2017, 03:46 PM
I have the Samsung Chef Collection Induction top, double oven range.

Would NOT recommend this to anyone.

the matching OTR microwave is super noisy on fan, the microwave is weak and slow.

The induction works great for 1 burner, but if you use 2-3 or heaven forbid all 4 at once, it bogs down accordingly.

All in all totally unimpressed with Samsung appliance and would never buy again.

We had gas prior to the induction and I'd go back to gas next range we get.