PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy Mitsubishi Warranty Work

scboss
01-03-2017, 09:00 PM
Bit of a Rant here

I brought my car into the dealership (platinum) to get my ayc pump checked as it was leaking oil and was about to fail. Guys tell me its fine, scans my ECU, tells me its covered under warranty and they will replace it when the code comes up on my dash.
Fast forward to when its completely fails. They do a scan on my car again and now they say my ecu has been modified after supposedly sending the codes to Mitsubishi canada. They then refuse to replace the part (which costs 2400 installed).
I contact the service manager and ask for proof as I know the previous owner, I have every service record from the dealer (courtesy) and I know 100% my car is stock. He continues to reject me and says my car has been modified etc. I contact Mitsubishi Canada and they just redirect me back to the platinum. I then recontact the manager and he just say straight up nothing we can do.

After Dealing with this back and forth crap for 3 weeks I made a last ditch effort and brought the car to Courtesy Mitsubishi. They do the scan and tell me everything is stock and they dont understand why the other dealership wont do the warranty work. They then go on to tell me that Mitsubishi didn't even receive the CAL code off my ECU previously. Night and Day how I was handled. Got the car back the next day repaired and washed.

I tried contacting Mitsubishi Canada about the issue but no response yet. Such a waste of time. Courtesy will be getting my business for now on even though its out of the way for me.

qualthar
01-03-2017, 09:17 PM
A buddy of mine had a similar issue, he told me it was his AWD pump acting up (from cold weather?). His car also has a tune from the previous owner. The pump was replaced 2 yrs ago and was replaced again in the beginning of December. He had to fight with the dealer and Mitsubishi Canada, they ended up knocking 50% off.

No way I'd own an Evo 10 if I have to replace a $2400 pump every 2 yrs out of warranty.

scboss
01-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Yeah thats weird. I know because of where they put the part its exposed to everything on our roads. They launched a 10 year or 100000 km warranty I believe because so many people have issues.

The car I have has 84000km and its a 08 and this is the first time its gone. Ive heard of some tunes destroying that pump though

V6-BoI
01-04-2017, 02:55 PM
I'm on my 3'rd AYC pump right now. Recently got it replaced about a year ago. But I think this one is starting to act up. During cold weather the mode indicator (ie. Snow. Tarmac, Gravel) starts blinking and then stops after it warms up. All my other ones did the same before it shit the bed.

I'm hoping it'll be okay still. I don't understand how a tune can destroy the pump though. I thought it's just engine parameters that's being adjusted during a tune.

nobb
01-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Did they ever change the pump design to correct whatever design flaw it has? What kind of half assed solution is it for the manufacturer to just warranty it by replacing it with the exact same part only to wait for it to fail again after warranty of which then it's not their problem anymore.

revelations
01-04-2017, 03:42 PM
From EVO forums:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51452

Some consensus info:

1) You NEVER need to change, drain, bleed, or otherwise service the fluid in the ACD/AYC pump circuit UNLESS lines where removed, the differentials where replaced, or the system experiences catastrophic failure. Just keep it in between the levels in the reservoir in the trunk. Bleeding the system requires the Mut3 factory tool and costs $$$ at the dealer, the procedure is a real PITA. Evoscan may support this in the future.

2) The fluid in the AYC / ACD pump circuit (fed by the reservoir in the trunk) is ISOLATED completely from the ATF fluid in the rear differential (clutch paks) and the gear oil in the transfer case (both in the clutch pak and the rest of the case). The fluids should NEVER mix.

3) A big thing that throws most people into confusion is that the ACD clutch pak sits in gear oil, and the AYC clutch paks sit in ATF fluid. Neither is pressurized. The fluids just sit there and lube the clutches, there is an air pocket at the top in ALL CLUTCH PAKS.

4) The ACD / AYC Pump (called the "Hydraulic Unit" in the service manual) uses high pressure to activate the ACD and AYC clutches.

5) If you notice the level of fluid fluctuate slightly in the rear reservoir for the ACD / AYC Pump circuits, it's normal. If it becomes completely filled and overflows or it runs completely out of fluid there is a problem, at this point the system will most likely throw codes and warnings.

6) Change your gear oil in the Tranny Case every 30k miles for normal use. Change it every 15k miles for severe conditions and track use.

7) Change your ATF fluid and gear oil in the Rear Differential every every 30k miles for normal use. Change it every 15k miles for severe conditions and track use.

8) Various problems plague the ACD / AYC pump (Hydraulic Unit) but most have to do with something called "Galvanic Corrosion". This occurs when two dissimilar metals with a fluid layer in between them form corrosion. There is no real solution to this problem in terms of preventative maintenance except changing the fluid in the Transfer Case and Rear Differential (gear oil and ATF) more often. DO NOT service/change/drain the fluid in the AYC / ACD pump in terms of preventative maintenance. Keep it at the correct level and make sure it's not brown and smelly (indicates BIG failure) and your good.

dirtsniffer
01-04-2017, 04:03 PM
regarding #8, oil shouldn't really conduct electricity unless it absorbs water over time. I would expect that this is the reason for the accelerated fluid change outs. Probably wise to send it for an analysis once a year to check to see if there are significant water volumes.

revelations
01-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Did they ever change the pump design to correct whatever design flaw it has? What kind of half assed solution is it for the manufacturer to just warranty it by replacing it with the exact same part only to wait for it to fail again after warranty of which then it's not their problem anymore.

I dont know anything specific about this issue - I would presume that that if its a severe cold weather issue the OEM might figure its cheaper to warranty the unit than design a device that would last. Perhaps the next Gen evo will have a better unit?

heavyD
01-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Next gen EVO? Not sure if we will ever see a next gen Lancer let alone a next gen EVO.

scboss
01-06-2017, 10:21 PM
My unit was messed up from the crap on our roads lol. It literally ate away at the seals because they put the pump in the dumbest spot. I believe they have been using the same pump design and location since the 8 but i could be wrong.

revelations
01-06-2017, 11:53 PM
^ one of the EVO forums has a simple fix for the unit being exposed to road crap.