PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Disclosure - Photo Radar Ticket

Env-Consultant
01-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Trying to figure out how to request disclosure in relation to a photo radar ticket. I normally wouldn't give a shit, but it was in that absurd playground zone on Elbow Drive that is basically there to appease the affluent citizens that live there.... because 40 km just doesn't cut it sometimes. That, and I'm curious to see what's in the package.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Public-services/Freedom-of-Information-and-Protection-of-Privacy-Act-request.aspx

Came across the link above, but I would find it odd that any fee would be associated (in this case a minimum of $25) with receiving disclosure/information related to a case. Any help/links/info would be appreciated.

Yes, I was speeding and no, I shouldn't have been. However, if I can save myself $163 by sending an email and playing Mike Ross for 10 minutes, I'll give it a shot. :dunno:

carson blocks
01-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Last time I did this, you had to request in-person, downtown and there was no fee, but there was no real disclosure for photo radar. If I recall right it was just a printout of the info that was on the ticket and I got to see the full uncropped image, from which I found another car in the frame and made them throw it out.

I don't see how disclosure would help you fight it, if your argument is that the playground zone shouldn't be there. I think you're hooped on this one personally unless you can find a technical error with the photo or ticket.

Edit: forgot a word.

pheoxs
01-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Last time I did this, you had to request in-person, downtown and there was no fee, but there was real disclosure for photo radar. If I recall right it was just a printout of the info that was on the ticket and I got to see the full uncropped image, from which I found another car in the frame and made them throw it out.

I don't see how disclosure would help you fight it, if your argument is that the playground zone shouldn't be there. I think you're hooped on this one personally unless you can find a technical error with the photo or ticket.

Pretty much this. If you can find a technical reason to get it thrown out go ahead.

But even if its 845pm, through a playground zone that used to be a school zone, by a highschool with no playground, on christmas day and you're just trying to say its not fair, its doubtful.

Env-Consultant
01-10-2017, 06:38 PM
What about calibration, age of equipment, usage, operator training, etc.? I work in oil/gas (science related) and all equipment used (safety and measurement) requiring calibration requires strict record keeping (dates of calibration, recorded/displayed values, dates of calibration gas, serial numbers of calibration gas, training dates of staff completing processes, maintenance dates, etc.).

I'm not sure if they'd be using tuning forks in this situation, but it would still be interesting to see the training certification of the person doing the calibration, when it was done, the equipment they used, etc.

I wasn't trying to say "it wasn't fair", as per my initial post. Interesting note on the playground zone that you relayed - the school zones weren't supposed to be changed into playground zones city wide, and Nenshi was pissed about it. But why not spend $545K on it to justify your job.... (completely unrelated to my specific issue though). http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2016/11/23/nenshi-scolds-roads-converting-school-zones-playground.html