PDA

View Full Version : Silent Mini Fridge?

NoPulp
01-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Grandma has been living in a senior lodge for about a year now. Freaked out that her mini fridge is too loud. Not sure why its just an issue now, the staff made her put the fridge on a stand rather than right on the floor so maybe the compressor vibrates more now? Dunno.

Anyways, I've been given the task to find a silent mini fridge. Her room is small so she sleeps very close to it.

A lot of fridge claim to be quiet, but that's relative. Does anyone have any experience with an easily available (big box store?) fridge that's near silent?

- Don't need freezer
- "Full" size mini fridge (not cube) that can hold 2L milk containers.
-Black in colour would be nice - apparently her friends have quiet black fridges so thats what she wants? :rofl:
-Budget: Not beyond baller, but she does have money saved up so if it improves her quality of life there's no problem spending the money.

jwslam
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Try putting a piece of carpet under the stand and/or cardboard between the stand and fridge.
Cheap fixes might do the trick.

NoPulp
01-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Cheap fix possibly, but she won't buy it... she's really upset and wants a replacement.

ercchry
01-11-2017, 08:42 PM
If she is that stubborn, is there anyway to win unless you buy the exact model her friends have?

NoPulp
01-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Have no idea what that is, when asked she just said it was black. I have no doubt that the fridge she has could be annoying, I had a fridge in my dorm room and in the middle of the night the compressor is loud.

Any recommendations?

jacky4566
01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Black, Quiet, good for parties!

https://res.cloudinary.com/livingdirect/image/upload/c_limit,d_no_product_image.jpg,dpr_1.0,f_auto,t_dwsites,w_500/v1/product-images/KC2000/KC2000_001

But honestly there might not be much selection for quiet mini-fridge.

Maybe you want to check out some used commercial equipment. Quality stuff goes for cheap because its no longer certified.

ercchry
01-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Have no idea what that is, when asked she just said it was black. I have no doubt that the fridge she has could be annoying, I had a fridge in my dorm room and in the middle of the night the compressor is loud.

Any recommendations?

I can't think of any traditional fridge that would be quiet due to just the nature of how they work... I have 3 different mini fridges and they all give off similar db, keggerator, wine fridge, and old second hand traditional mini fridge

Perhaps one designed to be built in with a custom mdf cabinet stuffed with fireproof insulation?

Thaco
01-11-2017, 10:01 PM
dynomat it and paint it so she thinks its different.

NoPulp
01-11-2017, 10:04 PM
There's suppose to be "hotel grade" ones that are quiet, but I can't seem to find which models those are and where to buy them.

I've also read about compressor-less mini fridges, but haven't came across where to buy locally.

Seems to not be an easy solution... if I can't find anything soon I think we'll buy the cheapest black fridge and hope the placebo affect works.

suntan
01-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Buy an RV mini-fridge. Dead quiet as they don't have a motor.

NoPulp
01-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Superconductor fridge! Anyone have experience with these??

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-2-5-cu-ft-Superconductor-Mini-Refrigerator-in-Black-SHP2501B/203464664

suntan
01-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Keeps electrons fresh forever.

Darell_n
01-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Buy an RV mini-fridge. Dead quiet as they don't have a motor.

I'm not sure a system containing ammonia would be allowed in a residence or any indoors really.

Rocket1k78
01-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
If she is that stubborn, is there anyway to win unless you buy the exact model her friends have?

:thumbsup: Genius right here. Dont waste your time and just go to her friends unit and find the model and get the same unit. Seniors are clicky like this and all want the same thing if they believe it to be the best

Nufy
01-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

This...

I had kind of the same situation with my wife's grandmother a few year back.

She was convinced the bathroom vent fan was going to fall out of the ceiling while she was in the tub.

It was perfectly fine but that didn't matter.

I had to change it out with a new one.

speedog
01-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Kind of like happy wife, happy life - figure it out boys.

NoPulp
01-12-2017, 02:00 PM
From her description she won't care if its the same model, just a black one will do. I'm guessing the ones her friends have aren't any quieter, they just claim they are because they can't hear :rofl:

So I think I'll try the superconductor one I linked above unless someone actually wants to give a suggestion.

jacky4566
01-12-2017, 02:06 PM
Yea you could try a peltier. They don't get super cold but you said she doesn't need a freezer so maybe its fine.

It will certainly be quiet. Peltier are solid state so no noisy compressor. Reading the reviews it has 2 PC type fans you could replace with some super quiet Noctua fans.

NoPulp
01-26-2017, 08:46 PM
So I got the Avanti superconductor mini fridge. Nobody in Canada could get it, except this random company in Quebec on amazon. I order it and set it up today. The fridge is quiet, sounds like a quiet aquarium when your near it. It just a hum from the fan.

Seems to be a good solution? Hopefully it lasts, that's my only concern.