PDA

View Full Version : Scurvy

ZenOps
01-12-2017, 05:20 AM
Noticed my hair was starting to curl up a bit (unusual for Asians)

Noted that it might be a vitamin C deficiency, it can be hard to get the required minimum every day in the winter.

Orange or apple a day will usually suffice, but surprisingly if you are desperate evaporated milk in cans is fortified with vitamin C (and D, the other vitamin that is sorely lacking at this time of year)

EK 2.0
01-12-2017, 08:27 AM
Wait, you're Asian??....

jwslam
01-12-2017, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Wait, you're Asian??....
Same reaction :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seth1968
01-12-2017, 09:05 AM
I thought Zenops was a Kazakhstanian.

NoSup4U
01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Wait, you're Asian??....

And apparently a sailor from 1768?

roopi
01-12-2017, 09:43 AM
In modern times, it occurs most commonly in people with mental disorders, unusual eating habits, alcoholism, and old people who live alone.

Seems about right. I wish you the best.

bjstare
01-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Wait, you're Asian??....

bulaian
01-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I thought Zenops was a Kazakhstanian.

Mitsu3000gt
01-12-2017, 10:54 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

eglove
01-12-2017, 10:55 AM
:drama:

Env-Consultant
01-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Noticed my hair was starting to curl up a bit (unusual for Asians)

Noted that it might be a vitamin C deficiency, it can be hard to get the required minimum every day in the winter.

Orange or apple a day will usually suffice, but surprisingly if you are desperate evaporated milk in cans is fortified with vitamin C (and D, the other vitamin that is sorely lacking at this time of year)

Very difficult....

http://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Large/142/547/142547.jpg

Aerobat
01-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Tonic water with quinine

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 09:17 AM
They sell commercial citric acid for pennies by the ton, and yet - you almost never see it in grocery stores (as its mostly just a flavoring and would be too confusing). Ascorbic acid I guess they figure its not viable to sell that way.

If you have to take a pill or a tin of evaporated milk, there is something wrong with the food distribution system. Ask yourself, why am I taking this pill? Is it because I know for sure that I am not getting enough nutrition in real food, or am I just covering my bases? One is ok, the other is not acceptable.

I blame Galen Weston.

J-hop
01-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Wait....I thought your first post blamed the winter season? Does our food distribution change away from vitamin C rich foods in the winter then? I know mine doesn't. I'm usually constipated for a week after Christmas with all the mandarin oranges I eat!

Literally millions upon millions live healthy lives on our current food distribution. If you're having problems that is on you or your genetics.

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 09:38 AM
I dunno, go 50 miles outside of city and try to find a fresh apple or orange and things start to get pretty rough.

The year is 2016, you can watch a Hockey game on your cellular phone at the arctic border, but you can't find a fruit to save your life.

As to the recommended daily vitamin C, it would take two oranges or twenty apples. Now that red meat (beef) is kind of out of price range as a daily food, I have no doubt that many people are probably C deficient without even realizing it.

J-hop
01-13-2017, 09:43 AM
I dunno, go 50 miles outside of city and try to find a fresh apple or orange and things start to get pretty rough.

What? I was under the impression you lived in the city?

I'm guessing you haven't left the city much because from 50 miles outside calgary in any direction almost you can get to a grocer in under an hour which isn't much different sometimes than doing errands inside Calgary....

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
The reason I don't even try to live out of city was because of three reasons. But even in city its pretty sad, it can be tough to get fresh milk and squeezed orange juice.

#1 Cellular internet sucks (now resolved)
#2 Banking sucks (still a huge problem)
#3 Food distribution is near third world.

If I do venture out of city, its pretty much assumed I have to A) Preload all and as much data as I need on a laptop beforehand B) make sure to have some cash handy C) prepare a cubic meter (two coleman picnic baskets) full of food to make sure I can survive more than a couple days.

rage2
01-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Wait, you're Asian??....

Originally posted by NoSup4U
And apparently a sailor from 1768?
http://m5.i.pbase.com/o6/93/329493/1/84399845.84Bz7if7.HamburgAug07545.jpg

J-hop
01-13-2017, 09:58 AM
The reason I don't even try to live out of city was because of three reasons. But even in city its pretty sad, it can be tough to get fresh milk and squeezed orange juice.

#1 Cellular internet sucks (now resolved)
#2 Banking sucks (still a huge problem)
#3 Food distribution is near third world.

Don't need fresh milk or freshly squeezed oranges to get your vitamins. Dont know what you mean by that. You can't get fresh milk anywhere in Canada unless you live on a farm (outside the city) anyways.

I used to spend most of my summers in a town of 500 and many of my friends are from small town Alberta.

#1 I'll give you that (in some cases)
#2 97% of my banking at least is done online so that is a moot point
#3 absolutely not, in fact on top of grocers being pretty well distributed you have the added benefit of fresh produce from local farmers

It's a big world man, get out and see it!!!!

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Asian or black makes a huge difference once you step out of city.

Because then, your only source of food are mostly white farmers, and you can't just go up to a farm (other than maybe the hutterites) and ask for some eggs, chicken, some fresh milk, and certainly not an orange.

Its pretty much pack like an 1800's explorer.

J-hop
01-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Because then, your only source of food are mostly white farmers, and you can't just go up to a farm (other than maybe the hutterites) and ask for some eggs, chicken, some fresh milk, and certainly not an orange.

Its pretty much pack like an 1800's explorer.

Have you ever lived in a small town?

A790
01-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o6/93/329493/1/84399845.84Bz7if7.HamburgAug07545.jpg
WTF did you Google to find that pic? :rofl:

lasimmon
01-13-2017, 11:05 AM
ITT I learned ZenOps hasn't left the city before.

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Have you ever lived in a small town?

Lived more than two weeks, no. Have end of world bunker 11 kilometers from a town of 100 people, yes.

Trust me, it gets exponentially harder to survive once you leave city limits. But that's not the main thing, I'm finding it much harder to get good non-processed food in city compared to say twenty years ago. I mean, I know people in city who will travel across town just to get some tomatoes.

I don't think there is a purchaseable fresh tomato within a kilometer of where I am in city, and I'm in Harperville (Canyon Meadows)

rage2
01-13-2017, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by A790
WTF did you Google to find that pic? :rofl:
Believe it or not, Asian sailor. First hit. The rest were slutty sailor moon wannabe cosplay chicks, but this pic was more fitting haha.

ZenOps
01-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Wait... Scratch that.

There is a SubWay sandwich shop, which will have fresh tomatoes. I often wondered if they would be able to just sell me one every other day or so before they chop it up for their sandwiches.

EK 2.0
01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

Are you sure it is scurvy that you are dealing with??

Seems to me you have completely (and finally) fallen off of your rocker.

jwslam
01-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Wait... Scratch that.

There is a SubWay sandwich shop, which will have fresh tomatoes. I often wondered if they would be able to just sell me one every other day or so before they chop it up for their sandwiches.
Or just eat Jared style.

klumsy_tumbler
01-13-2017, 12:51 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if ZenOps is serious or not... :nut: :nut: :nut:

Small towns often have farmers markets where the hutterites and farmers sell their fresh produce and meat. Of course you're not going to be able to get oranges and whatnot, because our climate obviously doesn't support that (especially in this season).

It really doesn't get "exponentially harder to live" once you're outside of city limits... Somehow I survived, and without contracting scurvy, to boot :dunno:

J-hop
01-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
I'm having a lot of trouble deciding if ZenOps is serious or not... :nut: :nut: :nut:

Small towns often have farmers markets where the hutterites and farmers sell their fresh produce and meat. Of course you're not going to be able to get oranges and whatnot, because our climate obviously doesn't support that (especially in this season).

It really doesn't get "exponentially harder to live" once you're outside of city limits... Somehow I survived, and without contracting scurvy, to boot :dunno:

How crazy would that be if one day he comes out as beyond's biggest troll.

ExtraSlow
01-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

How crazy would that be if one day he comes out as beyond's biggest troll. It would be more crazy to find out one day that he WASN'T trolling, IMO.

J-hop
01-13-2017, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
It would be more crazy to find out one day that he WASN'T trolling, IMO.

Haha no doubt. Although one could argue if he isn't trolling his life must be pretty interesting. The year is 1700, strange birds of death fly over leaving trails of white potion that rains down on us keeping us submissive to an alien god from the 10th planet. Beyond the city walls lie fields of dispair no man would ever willingly venture into. What a mystical existence!!!