PDA

View Full Version : use Ethernet port on Shaw gateway Portal instead of coax?

thetransporter
01-13-2017, 02:25 AM
trying to help someone here

they have a ethernet port in a part of the house, can it be used unofficially to bridge the shaw portal (ARRIS) after it has been paired by coax (like dishnetwork joey?)

side note:
the installer stapled a coax cable along the hardwood floor on a newly built home to get to one room where there is a unused ethernet port in the wall and to add insult to injury took the DD-wrt buffalo high power wireless router i provided them saying "dd-wrt is not authorized on shaw" and "Our wifi system provides better coverage"

killramos
01-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Doubt it but there has to be some way to transmit the coax over the Ethernet line.

As for the router that's a load of crap shaw, dgaf so long as you are paying their gateway rental fee.

Despair*
01-13-2017, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
trying to help someone here

they have a ethernet port in a part of the house, can it be used unofficially to bridge the shaw portal (ARRIS) after it has been paired by coax (like dishnetwork joey?)

side note:
the installer stapled a coax cable along the hardwood floor on a newly built home to get to one room where there is a unused ethernet port in the wall and to add insult to injury took the DD-wrt buffalo high power wireless router i provided them saying "dd-wrt is not authorized on shaw" and "Our wifi system provides better coverage"

I'd ask for the router back. That's stealing. I've never heard of Shaw techs taking away someones personal wireless router before.

ercchry
01-13-2017, 09:16 AM
Most of the features on the gateway are not active... not sure if there is a way to hack them or not, or if it's purely up to shaw to send the signals to use the features... there has to be an adaptor out there though to use cat5/6 ... coax is basically just two wires... I wonder if you could just terminate the cat X with coax fittings? Maybe use half the colours for each? Might take a while to find fittings that work though since usually the centre of them is just the coax wire itself

taemo
01-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Despair*

I'd ask for the router back. That's stealing. I've never heard of Shaw techs taking away someones personal wireless router before.

this
it's your own hardware, they can't just take it away, most they could have done is disconnect it from their network if it was a concern.

rage2
01-13-2017, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Most of the features on the gateway are not active... not sure if there is a way to hack them or not, or if it's purely up to shaw to send the signals to use the features... there has to be an adaptor out there though to use cat5/6 ... coax is basically just two wires... I wonder if you could just terminate the cat X with coax fittings? Maybe use half the colours for each? Might take a while to find fittings that work though since usually the centre of them is just the coax wire itself
Shaw doesn't have it enabled, haven't seen anyone hack it to turn it on. It's kinda hilarious because gateway uses MoCa over RG6 so basically passing Ethernet over RG6. In other implementations of the Gateway setup, you can connect the remote boxes using wired Ethernet or wifi. Just not with Shaw.

speedog
01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Coax cables are a whole different beast as compared to ethernet cabling - I don't think it's as simple as putting some coax connectors on the two ends of an ethernet cable run and voila, everything will be magically okay. Proper shielding is a box deal for signals transmitted over coax cables and improper shielding and/or terminations can create a whole host of problems. Things could've changed since I had extensive training in how different types of cabling work but I suspect the basics are still the same.

ercchry
01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
Cat 6 I believe is also shielded... the real solution would be to leave the boxes beside the hub and run extenders to the tv's via the cat

thetransporter
01-14-2017, 06:09 PM
i did find a pair of unactivated portal/gateway. i can confirm you cna use the ethernet cable as it opttained an ip address from a router providing dhcp) but if it would for TV i am not sure

blindsight
01-16-2017, 11:13 AM

revelations
01-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Yea taking a DDwrt Buffalo unit is pretty low. They probably knew it was a good unit.

thetransporter
01-18-2017, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by blindsight

Who cares about the tech stuff, I want to hear the resolution to the hardwood damage and stolen router!

told the family to call in , they did , and they have to research. i dont think anything will happen. - this was the router, i think its about 7 years old but still its not cool
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134

also i witnessed at my friends home:
my friend had shaw services, the signal was low, etc etc, he asked the installer to install a drop amplifier, "i cant install one, your bill is at almost $200" he explained well a 3 services are almost 200 a month. this happened in 2008 but still pretty low on shaws part.