PDA

View Full Version : Is GSM network coverage still a thing??

16hypen3sp
01-31-2017, 02:08 PM
I'm considering using a device which uploads data via GSM. Is this sort of tech still active? Isn't it super old now?

Just wondering if there is still broad coverage in Canada (or everywhere) using GSM.

Thanks for any help.

RickDaTuner
01-31-2017, 02:16 PM
last I recalled the only thing being phased out was CDMA. if your phone uses a Sim card, then its compatible with GSM. All the current network acronyms like LTE, and HSDPA, are just GSM signals at specific frequencies.

16hypen3sp
01-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Ahh, ok. Yah the device has a SIM card.

jacky4566
01-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes. I would say GSM is the most dominant network globally. Where did you hear that GSM was going anywhere?

FYI. Telus CDMA2000 network will shut down on January 31, 2017.

16hypen3sp
01-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Yes. I would say GSM is the most dominant network globally. Where did you hear that GSM was going anywhere?

I didn't, I just don't know that much about it.

D'z Nutz
02-01-2017, 08:15 AM
So on a related note, are you able to take phones purchased from a provider like Rogers and use it on Telus or Bell now and vice versa, assuming the phone is unlocked?

taemo
02-01-2017, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
So on a related note, are you able to take phones purchased from a provider like Rogers and use it on Telus or Bell now and vice versa, assuming the phone is unlocked?

if it's an HSPA/LTE device and has been unlocked then yes.
my unlocked iphone can take either my Bell SIM or wifes Fido SIM

D'z Nutz
02-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by taemo

if it's an HSPA/LTE device and has been unlocked then yes.
my unlocked iphone can take either my Bell SIM or wifes Fido SIM

Thanks. I've been on the look out for a Pixel on Kijiji and a few have popped up that were originally purchased from Telus but I wasn't sure if they could be used on other networks.

Xtrema
02-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Only WIND/Freedom has special bands. Almost all phones will work on the big 3.

Thanks. I've been on the look out for a Pixel on Kijiji and a few have popped up that were originally purchased from Telus but I wasn't sure if they could be used on other networks.

Not 100% sure but it should follow the Nexus line that it will remain unlocked so you should be safe.

tha_bandit
02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
A true GSM device will only work on Rogers/Fido (for example, Original iPhone). A device that supports HSPA will work on any network in Canada. Wind requires devices with AWS (1700MHz uplink/2100 downlink).

Escape
02-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Pixel are sold unlocked only, doesn't matter if you get it from a carrier or Google

But I suggest you avoid kijiji for buying phones. Too many stories of people blacklisting their phones after selling them

D'z Nutz
02-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Not 100% sure but it should follow the Nexus line that it will remain unlocked so you should be safe.

Originally posted by Escape
Pixel are sold unlocked only, doesn't matter if you get it from a carrier or Google

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. The question was about whether or not they were compatible on a different network's band(s).

Escape
02-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. The question was about whether or not they were compatible on a different network's band(s).

Pixel should work fine on any carrier in canada

cam_wmh
02-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

FYI. Telus CDMA2000 network will shut down on January 31, 2017.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1084805

Zorac
02-02-2017, 08:55 PM
what kind of device? 2g is on its way out (as per the link above) so don't go buying a 2g shield for your arduino/rasberry/etc. not really any good 3g options out there either, but there are a few, unfortunate all expensive.