PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Gateway PVR

dj_rice
02-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my home to the Shaw Internet 150 and got the new upgraded Shaw Gateway system from the old Motorola PVR DCX Box before.

The internet portion is fine. The TV portion is where I've having problems.

First day install was fine. 2nd day I noticed while watching shows, the shows would lag slightly/glitch or freeze for a second. No biggie. Reset the box maybe that'll fix it.

3rd day, I come home from work and turn on the news to see an error "Cannot communicate with Shaw Gateway, please contact Shaw etc". Reset box once again and all issues fixed temporarily for a few days. Portal has the same issue but I believe it all stems from the hub Gateway system

I've called Shaw tech support numerous times, they told me to hard reset the box a couple times, once they did a hard reset on their end, and the last tech call ended up saying my box didn't receive any software updates since Dec 20 so they applied all the updates current to date but I'm getting the same shit. Not sure if I have a defective Gateway

Are any of yall with the Shaw Gateway systems experiencing the same issues as me before I call them again to send a tech out?

RickDaTuner
02-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Did you install the system or did shaw install it?

Part of the requirements for running a gateway is the use of MoCa filters, they prevent the gateway from communicating beyond your own houses cable connection.
If they aren't installed then it may lead to signal disruption.

The other thing it could be, is that there are too many splitter before the gateway hub, or just old ones that have crapped out.

I recently had slow internet, and cable issues, where the higher channels would start to pixelate, and drop out audio. In my case it was a combination of a bad cable, and a few old splitters. replaced them, and haven't had a problem since.

dj_rice
02-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Did you install the system or did shaw install it?

Part of the requirements for running a gateway is the use of MoCa filters, they prevent the gateway from communicating beyond your own houses cable connection.
If they aren't installed then it may lead to signal disruption.

The other thing it could be, is that there are too many splitter before the gateway hub, or just old ones that have crapped out.

I recently had slow internet, and cable issues, where the higher channels would start to pixelate, and drop out audio. In my case it was a combination of a bad cable, and a few old splitters. replaced them, and haven't had a problem since.

Shaw came and did the install. I'll mention the MoCa filters thing to the next agent I call if it keeps doing this.

But yes theres a few splitters on the old cable line the old installer installed when I just had a regular HD PVR box. The Gateway installer guy didn't remove any of the splitters or make new lines, just re-used everything and installed the box. He did install a new splitter at the main box in my basement beside the breaker panel.

The last tech agent who I called who did the last software updates did mention if it keeps persisting, it might be related to my lines in the house.

RickDaTuner
02-07-2017, 10:05 PM
Call them in and ask the tech to install an inline amplifier, I dont say for any other reason than why not get one installed, they really help with TV signal, and internet speed quality
Also..
Some times in older neighborhoods the Nodes are the culprit, old corroded, or damaged and rather than replacing them - Shaw has the techs install signal boosters.

Hope they sort it out!.

Hero_X
02-08-2017, 01:08 AM
keep calling shaw until they fix it.

this is most likely a signal issue. The gateway system is pretty dope and usually doesn't have this kinda shit going on, unless there's signal problem.

Ask them to send out a tech and ask the tech to fix and finalize the solution.

Good luck!

LLLimit
02-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my home to the Shaw Internet 150 and got the new upgraded Shaw Gateway system from the old Motorola PVR DCX Box before.

The internet portion is fine. The TV portion is where I've having problems.

First day install was fine. 2nd day I noticed while watching shows, the shows would lag slightly/glitch or freeze for a second. No biggie. Reset the box maybe that'll fix it.

3rd day, I come home from work and turn on the news to see an error "Cannot communicate with Shaw Gateway, please contact Shaw etc". Reset box once again and all issues fixed temporarily for a few days. Portal has the same issue but I believe it all stems from the hub Gateway system

I've called Shaw tech support numerous times, they told me to hard reset the box a couple times, once they did a hard reset on their end, and the last tech call ended up saying my box didn't receive any software updates since Dec 20 so they applied all the updates current to date but I'm getting the same shit. Not sure if I have a defective Gateway

Are any of yall with the Shaw Gateway systems experiencing the same issues as me before I call them again to send a tech out?

I'm going through the same problem, right now.
I get the TV schedule in the guide, but get the same error message.
1 hour of resetting the gateway and they agreed to get a a tech to come in.

dj_rice
02-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by LLLimit

I'm going through the same problem, right now.
I get the TV schedule in the guide, but get the same error message.
1 hour of resetting the gateway and they agreed to get a a tech to come in.

Is your issue fixed?

I"ll post a reply once they send out a tech and install this MoCa filter and new splitters and see

Today I noticed when I was using my internet and watching TV, both seem to lag at same time? So I'm narrowing it down to the signal

LLLimit
02-12-2017, 03:01 PM
The tech ran a bunch of tests in the diagnostics, and worked with the guy in the shop to zap resets to the box. After 20mins they gave up and concluded it was the gateway.
They claim they've never seen this happen before even though the account & related info was correct.

Got a new gateway and had to leave all portals powered off for an hour, while they "rebuild my account". No new filter or splitter installed but also heard MoCa mentioned a few time, but nothing came out of it.

It's working just fine now.