PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace speakers?

R!zz0
02-09-2017, 12:07 PM
I have in walls 6.5 inch speakers and 6.5 ceiling speakers that i want to swap out with cheaper ones. We're moving and i want to take my good speakers to my new home. Do i need the exact cut out or can i get away with few cm?

Since i have never installed or removed any speakers, how hard is it for a first timer?

Vdubbin
02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
there are usually 3-4 screws that are attached to pinch points on the back to hold them into the drywall. Once those are backed out you can usually just drop the speaker back out. Your replacements will either need to be the same size, Very Close or even larger then the ones you are removing as I've found the grill surround usually doesn't cover too much extra drywall on the side.

Check Monoprice for decent replacements

Thaco
02-09-2017, 12:26 PM
if you get the same size they should fit theoretically, it should be pretty easy, just use a flat screwdriver to pull off the grills and you'll see a few screws holding them up, it might be actually screwed in to the wood or drywall, or just use an anchor system where you turn the screw 1/4 or 1/2 turn and the wings will move in to the hole and allow you to remove the speaker, really depends on how they were installed

this shows an image of the little wing tabs you need to turn
https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20150603153500/ImageHandler/scale/978/978/core/learn/article/3725/jbl_in-ceiling.jpg

And some are spring loaded, you just give em a tug and they come out far enough that you can get your fingers in there to push the springs a bit more to pass the bend at the end.

http://www.toa.jp/assets/images/TOAProduct/pc2852_pn1e.jpg

yellowsnow
02-09-2017, 12:33 PM
just take off the speaker grill first and see how it's secured. mine are just secured by these screw anchors, unscrew it and the speaker will loosen and pop out

R!zz0
02-09-2017, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
just take off the speaker grill first and see how it's secured. mine are just secured by these screw anchors, unscrew it and the speaker will loosen and pop out

Mine are exactly like that. I was watching when they were being installed.

Cut out dimensions that i have is...(10.79 x 7.64 in.)

The ones i want to install is...(11 x 7.4)

Thaco
02-09-2017, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Mine are exactly like that. I was watching when they were being installed.

Cut out dimensions that i have is...(10.79 x 7.64 in.)

The ones i want to install is...(11 x 7.4) as long as the grills and outer rim cover the hole it should be no issue, might have to shave a bit of drywall but its really not a big job at all.

yellowsnow
02-09-2017, 02:03 PM
when you buy the new speaker, it'll come with a piece of circular cardboard to measure the size of the hole you need to cut. i installed myself, and just used a hacksaw to cut my holes. the speaker covers up any imperfections ;)

Mitsu3000gt
02-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Should be fairly easy. Replace them with Monoprice speakers which cost next to nothing and are actually excellent. I don't know what you have in there now but you might even decide to bring those with you instead :rofl:

R!zz0
02-10-2017, 08:21 AM
I bought some cheap speakers from Amazon with free shipping :D

It's very close in dimensions. I have the Kef ci and qs series right now and they sound amazing.