PDA

View Full Version : Bought a house, found bugs :\

B.Spilner
02-13-2017, 06:29 PM
As the title states, we bought a house built in 06, inspector found a couple things but nothing crazy. People had 2 dogs and a cat in the home and didn't keep it as clean as they should've.

Anywhoo today marks 3 weeks since we took possession, 2 days ago I moved our safe and found 2 little larvae looking bastards squirming under it. Moved a couple other things around and found some in every room.

Called up the realtor to see what she said, apperantly since it passed inspection were sol.

We're both clean freaks, plus have a 4 year old boy roaming around and this shit is disgusting.

Am I sol? Or can I go after the sellers? It is what it is and I'll deal with it, but want to know if I should call up a lawyer or just start getting carpet quotes.

Thanks I'm advance!

spikerS
02-13-2017, 06:34 PM
you are a clean freak, but didn't notice any of this in the pre-walkthrough before taking possession? Or during the cleaning before moving your stuff in?

My $0.02 is you are SOL.

BerserkerCatSplat
02-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Can't help you with attaining compensation (would guess your are SOL as you've already taken possession, and there's no way to prove they didn't come along with your furniture), but the good news is that they are probably just carpet beetles. They tend to accumulate in places that have gone uncleaned for a long time. A good, thorough vacuuming will get rid of most of them, and you can use low-toxicity insecticides in the house to make sure they're gone.

https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/pests/carpet-beetles.aspx

bjstare
02-13-2017, 06:37 PM
+1 SOL.

How can you prove that they weren't introduced to the house during the move? Or for that matter, that you didn't bring them with you from your last house? And no, stating you're a clean freak doesn't count as proof.

Not trying to be a dick, just playing devils advocate. That's a shitty situation, but since you waived the conditions and inspection was passed, I'm guessing you don't have a lot of recourse.

B.Spilner
02-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Good enough for me!

We had the carpets steam cleaned the day before we moved in, the inspector, the carpet cleaner, and the guy fixing our carpet didn't see anything.

Hopefully with us cleaning daily we can resolve the problem.

Thanks again guys!

B.Spilner
02-13-2017, 06:41 PM
And thanks for the link, looks like that's what we have.

gwill
02-13-2017, 07:38 PM
pretty sure a bug infestation is something the sellers would need to disclose.

BokCh0y
02-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Carpet beetles? Looks like this:

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/CCMGBlog/blogfiles/26663_original.jpg

Not good, but not bad. As in much better than bed bugs.

Sonic
02-13-2017, 08:40 PM
How do you know YOU didn't bring it in?? It passed inspection and steam cleaned....so ......

SOAB
02-13-2017, 08:51 PM
we had a spider issue when we first moved into our current house. the previous owners were not clean freaks and it seems like they liked to leave doors and windows open.

we would find spiders and insects crawling around daily. :whipped: 2.5 years later and now, no more bugs.

gwill
02-13-2017, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Sonic
How do you know YOU didn't bring it in?? It passed inspection and steam cleaned....so ......

Its amusing people think an inspection catches everything. First inspectors miss all sorts of stuff. Second they arent looking for bugs.. odds are he saw something but didnt mention it.

Tik-Tok
02-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by gwill

Its amusing people think an inspection catches everything. First inspectors miss all sorts of stuff.

I had to show our "experienced" inspector the difference between a pressure relief valve and a shutoff valve. Lost all confidence in home inspectors at that moment.

JudasJimmy
02-14-2017, 12:25 AM
I hate bugs too. Seems centipedes and wolf spiders are in every house.

I use this every couple years. I haven't seen any live bugs in 7 years of ownership. I see the odd centipede carcass in the basement that I have to vacuum up. But that's it.

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/homed.jpg

B.Spilner
02-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks for all the replys.

We have an exterminator coming in tommorow.

riander5
02-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Bugs are bad mmkay

C_Dave45
02-14-2017, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by gwill

Its amusing people think an inspection catches everything. First inspectors miss all sorts of stuff.
Whaaaa? You mean my inspector can't look at my finished basement, covered walls and with his x-ray vision tell me what condition the foundation walls are in, and what date they will fail?? :eek:

Pffft. Useless inspectors. :rofl:

mr2mike
02-14-2017, 09:51 AM
Inspectors are useless. I'm basically paying them to use their thermal camera.
Also, the papers you sign... they're not liable for anything.
TL;DR: Shit doesn't stick to Home Inspectors. If you know anything, you're probably better off doing the inspection yourself.
Unless of course you're looking for grounds to get out of the deal. ;)

imranm
02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
I'd get the carpet cleaners in again and tell them to redo with super hot water. Should kill what's living inside