PDA

View Full Version : AC (alternating current) motor wiring

frozenrice
03-01-2017, 08:55 AM
I recently had to remove the evaporator fan in my fridge to clear an ice build up. I put everything back together, but now I'm having issues with the fridge side not cooling enough. The evaporator fan works, but I'm wondering if it is possible that I may have reversed the wiring when I reconnected the fan making it run backwards?
The fan motor is a 120vAC. Has three lead connections, one ground and then two for what I assume are live and neutral? I know I have the ground connected properly but it is possible that I may have flipped the two others around. I'm not up on electrical but I don't think AC motors work that way in that it doesn't matter which is connected to where. Anybody confirm or correct me?

Crazyjoker77
03-01-2017, 09:24 AM
AC motors don't have a polarity you can mix the hot and identified conductor up and everything will work the exact same. To actually reverse the rotation you have to pull the end plates off and remove the rotor and physically flip it 180 degrees in the housing. (unless it is the reversible type which would be clearly marked on the diagram/label)

There are reversible single phase motors but they will have more than 3 leads and and are usually multispeed and have 7-10wires depending on how many speeds.

frozenrice
03-01-2017, 09:42 AM
That sounds like good news then. So since i can hear the fan, I don't have to worry about it blowing the wrong direction? That at least rules out at least one possible source to the main problem.

Just in case here's a pic of the fan: ground lead is on the left and the two others are on the right

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/frozenrice/8A8FA1BC-C320-4E77-9F79-C2E040FC55B1_zpsozoa4jkw.jpg

Crazyjoker77
03-01-2017, 10:07 AM
that's called a "c frame" or "skeleton" motor its about as simple as it gets. It has no provision for reversal. Only way you could wire it wrong would be if you put the hot on the ground stake.

The other two(on the right) are just L1 and L2 doesn't matter which is hot or neutral