PDA

View Full Version : Energy Efficiency Alberta

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dirtsniffer
03-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Turns out the government wants to give away our money on a mass scale to a 3rd party contractor who will come into your home and upgrade the following for free:

LED lightbulbs
LED nightlights
Faucet aerators
Low-flow showerheads
Advanced power strips for audio-visual equipment
Smart thermostats

So possibly around $100 worth of things we can claw back from the NDP. But, two site visits, lets say around $75 dollars an hour for a tech

$150 tech time
$50 tool charge
$75 vehicle mileage
$100 vehicle and tools
$115 charge for parts

$500 invoice for the government per house!
3 house a day, 780 houses per year per unit, 50 units province wide 39,000 upgrades a year
$20,000,000 a year for the government to change lightbulbs

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/residential-no-charge/

fucking awesome.

Hallowed_point
03-01-2017, 10:08 AM
But... "it's free" ,,,,, ;)

I signed up lol. If I'm gonna get fucked by the ndp, I might as well take what I qualify for.

rx7boi
03-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Thanks for posting this. I signed up just now haha.

lilmira
03-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Free installation of light bulb, showerheads? Can I sign up to be an installer? My specialty is screwing and unscrewing light bulbs.

dirtsniffer
03-01-2017, 10:45 AM
https://www.indeedjobs.com/ecofittcorporation/jobs/5bd0062686faa5ed1ad7

Nitro5
03-01-2017, 10:51 AM
I read it as free inspection and installation. I bet you will have to pay for the materials in the upgrade.

dirtsniffer
03-01-2017, 10:53 AM
How does it work?
Getting your no-charge, energy-efficient products is easy:

Fill out the form to register.
You’ll receive a call to schedule your installation, and a second call from the installer the day prior to their visit.
An installer will visit your home, and conduct a walkthrough to identify potential opportunities for energy-efficient upgrades at no charge.
The installer will upgrade your home to energy-efficient products, and show you how to use them. Most installations don’t take longer than an hour.
You’ll save money and conserve energy—immediately. And the products are yours to keep at no charge!

jwslam
03-01-2017, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Free installation of light bulb, showerheads? Can I sign up to be an installer? My specialty is screwing and unscrewing light bulbs.
I'd bet that like most members here, you have too much experience screwing things you shouldn't have. :rofl:

FraserB
03-01-2017, 11:05 AM
It will be hilarious when Kijiji is flooded with the thermostats that the government is installing through this program. You won't be able to sell a Nest, EcoBee or an LED bulb at retail price for a while.

suntan
03-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Not a thing about insulation.

Proving once again the NDP have no fucking clue about anything at all.

Xtrema
03-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Am I getting a Nest or something like that out of this deal?

ExtremeSi
03-01-2017, 11:16 AM
What the hell? Just give us a credit or something for installing the bulbs ourselves. This is ridiculous. The website reads like an April fool's joke.

Sugarphreak
03-01-2017, 11:20 AM

ZenOps
03-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Cheap LED bulbs are already here. I paid 77 cents for my last 8.5 watt 60 watt equivalent.

Ontario had crazy rebates for many years before us, but they need it.

http://www.ontario-hydro.com/current-rates

Currently 18 cents per kwh on peak.

mr2mike
03-01-2017, 11:28 AM
How do I become an installer. Can do it when home owners are there too. Evenings and weekends.
I'll even do follow up servicing as a 1 yr warranty on all bulbs.

Wish it would allow for a gen set to be purchased. Then I can run my electrical on natural gas and remove my electrical services. As the carrier fees are higher than my usage... Consoldation.

Nitro5
03-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I need to remove all the LED lights from my home and sign up for this ASAP

Free inspection
+
Free products

So.... how much is the installation?

No I read it as they come in and inspect your home and then sell you light bulbs.

suntan
03-01-2017, 11:35 AM
No problem, I'll buy a fuckton of incandescents, put them in and then I'll get the sweet sweet LEDs.

FraserB
03-01-2017, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Nitro5

No I read it as they come in and inspect your home and then sell you light bulbs.

It says you keep the products free of charge.

Sugarphreak has the right idea, strip out the efficient products you have installed already, get the government ones I stalled, swap back after they leave and sell the government stuff on Kijiji

bjstare
03-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

It says you keep the products free of charge.

Sugarphreak has the right idea, strip out the efficient products you have installed already, get the government ones I stalled, swap back after they leave and sell the government stuff on Kijiji

Thrift level: Asian

rx7boi
03-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by suntan
No problem, I'll buy a fuckton of incandescents, put them in and then I'll get the sweet sweet LEDs.

You can still get incandescents? I thought those weren't available for purchase as of several years ago?

Sugarphreak
03-01-2017, 12:06 PM

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Haha, if you actually do get the parts for free, people are just going to re-install old junk they have laying around so they get a bunch of free stuff. If you don't get the parts for free, participation is going to be next to zero. Seems like a massive failure either way to me. How does nobody in power think of these types of scenarios which will probably end up being the vast majority?

You’ll receive a call to schedule your installation, and a second call from the installer the day prior to their visit.
An installer will visit your home, and conduct a walkthrough to identify potential opportunities for energy-efficient upgrades at no charge.
The installer will upgrade your home to energy-efficient products, and show you how to use them. Most installations don’t take longer than an hour.
You’ll save money and conserve energy—immediately. And the products are yours to keep at no charge!

Might as well sign up and get a free thermostat, couple new HT power bars, and a bunch of LED bulbs :rofl:

I find this almost unbelievable that anyone would even think this up believing it will have the desired outcome.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-01-2017, 12:26 PM
What if I don't want new showerheads?

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
What if I don't want new showerheads?

Reinstall the old ones in 2 minutes and keep the new ones as backups, or sell them on Kijiji like everyone else is going to do. Or pop out the water savers in the new ones. Too much trouble for some people I'm sure but I bet a lot of people will just be abusing this to the max, especially with the amount of people who hate the NDP.

carson blocks
03-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

So possibly around $100 worth of things we can claw back from the NDP.

They're not spending their own money on this, they're spending ours. Everyone who signs up for this program probably costs us $500 with installer fees and gov't overhead, program administration costs etc. to end up with $100 of free shit. That said, I just might sign up because my old house could use a new thermostat and some LED bulbs. I'll take the new showerheads too as I can usually remove the restrictors in just a few minutes and get a decent shower. I modded my current Costco 2.5gpm showerheads to just short of 5gpm.

JordanEG6
03-01-2017, 12:43 PM
I would only do this if the temperature of the lights are the same as incandescent. My relatives typically buy the white/cool temp LEDs and I hate the light it produces.

Nitro5
03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Haha, if you actually do get the parts for free, people are just going to re-install old junk they have laying around so they get a bunch of free stuff. If you don't get the parts for free, participation is going to be next to zero. Seems like a massive failure either way to me. How does nobody in power think of these types of scenarios which will probably end up being the vast majority?

Might as well sign up and get a free thermostat, couple new HT power bars, and a bunch of LED bulbs :rofl:

I find this almost unbelievable that anyone would even think this up believing it will have the desired outcome.

I think people are reading it wrong. The walkthrough and installation is no charge. I don't see any specific language stating the actual products themselves being installed are free.

I think the government is wasting millions to give a company a chance to sell you a light bulb that they will screw in for free (charge the government)

lamp_shade_2000
03-01-2017, 01:11 PM

I think people are reading it wrong. The walkthrough and installation is no charge. I don't see any specific language stating the actual products themselves being installed are free.

I think the government is wasting millions to give a company a chance to sell you a light bulb that they will screw in for free (charge the government)

kenny
03-01-2017, 01:17 PM

"the products are yours to keep at no charge!"
"Getting your no-charge, energy-efficient products is easy"
"And the products are yours to keep at no charge!"

It can't be more clear than that. The audit, installation and products are all included at no cost. They do take the old stuff away though so they aren't just dropping new stuff off for you to sell.

lilmira
03-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Eligible refrigerators
Eligible clothes washers
High-efficiency windows
Tankless water heaters
Thermal insulation
ENERGY STAR® LED light bulbs
Load-sensing power bars
Heavy duty timers
Smart thermostats
Hot water saving products:
Showerheads
Faucet aerators
ShowerStarts©

There's no way that they are paying for new fridge, washing machine, new windows, water heater and insulation. This whole thing is written by a 10yo.

oops, jumped to conclusion with this one. These are for incentive.

Feruk
03-01-2017, 01:43 PM
To all you trying to profit from this: Why would anyone buy the stuff the government gave you on Kijiji when they can just get it free from the government themselves? :nut:

suntan
03-01-2017, 01:51 PM
Profit? I'm just hoarding for the zombie apocalypse.

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2017, 02:03 PM

It clearly states the products you receive are yours to keep, free of charge:

So unless I am grossly misinterpreting that somehow, it sounds like everything is free.

Nitro5
03-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Fuck I'm missed that. Nvm

rx7boi
03-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Breaking News: 9/10 people in this thread cannot/do not read haha.

rage2
03-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
To all you trying to profit from this: Why would anyone buy the stuff the government gave you on Kijiji when they can just get it free from the government themselves? :nut:
ebay isn't province wide. USD is strong. So many opportunities! haha

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2017, 02:16 PM
16 Pack of 60W bulbs = $13 or so.

Costco Pack of 3 LED bulbs = $20 or so.

Even people with existing LED setups are probably going to go out, buy a couple boxes of crappy bulbs and get a second set of LED's for free in their house probably worth at least couple hundred $. If they do track lighting, chandeliers, and halogens with LED's too, that can get to be some pretty big money. This is going to get abused like crazy. Getting free power bars will be the easiest, you simply plug your stuff into the wall for a day haha.

dj_rice
03-01-2017, 02:17 PM
Signed up. Nothing to lose

Sugarphreak
03-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Swank
03-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

You can still get incandescents? I thought those weren't available for purchase as of several years ago? I believe only 60 watts and lower are still available for incandescents in stores.

I see no mention of replacing bulbs with the same lumen output. Last I checked 100w equivalent LED bulbs were still damn pricey and too large for many closed fixtures despite being the same bulb code (i.e. A19).

jwslam
03-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
They're not spending their own money on this, they're spending ours. Everyone who signs up for this program probably costs us $500 with installer fees and gov't overhead, program administration costs etc. to end up with $100 of free shit.
Of course I'm signing up anyways. If I'm a 1%-er I pay more taxes than 99% of the population and as such I should get more back out of MY tax dollars. Not signing up is the equivalent of literally throwing my money away at Rachel and her crazies.

bjstare
03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Of course I'm signing up anyways. If I'm a 1%-er I pay more taxes than 99% of the population and as such I should get more back out of MY tax dollars. Not signing up is the equivalent of literally throwing my money away at Rachel and her crazies.

But if you sign up, then you're contributing to the figures they'll publish that advertise the programs "success" :drama:

rx7boi
03-01-2017, 03:37 PM
The program is still happening either way.

That's why I signed up haha. NOTHING TO LOSE!

That said, I'm not going to swap my bulbs out for shitty ones or plug shit into the wall just for a free powerbar. I'm happy to be more energy efficient in general as it means lower bills for me.

Xtrema
03-01-2017, 04:34 PM
That's why I signed up haha. NOTHING TO LOSE!

Someone to scope your place for break in later.

Masked Bandit
03-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Or put you on their mailing list to sell you a new furnace, HWT, etc. down the road.

phreezee
03-01-2017, 04:41 PM
How smart are the thermostats they offer? Free Ecobees and Nests?

Mitsu3000gt
03-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

I'd be shocked if it was anything more than a basic programmable one, which really do the same thing as the other ones unless you have sensors in every room of the house.

Tik-Tok
03-01-2017, 05:15 PM
This is great in theory, but I will not be at all surprised when a bunch of bullshit comes from it.

I can see it now, people getting good LED's swapped for shitty ones that burn out in 6 months. NESTs swapped for $30 programmable thermostats. Houses suddenly getting B&E'd because the NDP hired companies that hired lowlifes with no proper vetting.

mr2mike
03-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Thought it was just the install they pay for. Not the thermostat.

71/454
03-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Didn't everyone complain that the carbon tax was just a cash grab and some even said they would be ok with it if it was spent on actually doing things to help the environment?
You guys kinda asked for this...

Star1995
03-01-2017, 06:30 PM
I just picked up an old school thermostat to replace when they show up, next is to find a few more light bulbs, I need a total of 30 and I've got 15 or so in a storage container. Then make sure I have my TV's and audio equipment plugged into different locations to maximize the free power bars. I'll need to make sure I have a TV in every room to get as many power bars as possible. Last but not least I'll need a least 2 laps in every room... more searching Kijiji for free lamps...

:clap: :clap:

eblend
03-01-2017, 07:01 PM
This is pretty stupid. I am going to wait and see some reviews on this before I go ahead..I got a full bag of incandescent bulbs in the garage......when i moved in 8 years ago I replaced most bulbs with CFL...do CFL quality? I haven't bothered changing CFLs out for LEDs and only use LEDs in the living room and kitchen as those lights are almost always on and have the most amount of bulbs.

SKR
03-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Turns out the government wants to give away our money on a mass scale to a 3rd party contractor who will come into your home and upgrade the following for free:

Low-flow showerheads

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/Ghent/clips/the%20shower%20head.mp4/thumbnailImage

rx7_turbo2
03-01-2017, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 71/454
Didn't everyone complain that the carbon tax was just a cash grab and some even said they would be ok with it if it was spent on actually doing things to help the environment?
You guys kinda asked for this...
How is this program "helping the environment"?

ragu
03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
This creates jobs? I find with the slump of oil, Albertans really won't leave anything to complain about.

I see all these folks bitching about Justin's delayed presence at FM fires, yet whoever is involved in rebuild will tell you how much gouging takes place...

speedog
03-01-2017, 09:36 PM

You can still get incandescents? I thought those weren't available for purchase as of several years ago?

Nah, incandescents are still available - you can't get regular incandescents but you can get long life bulbs, rough use bulbs and other non-standard variations.

Kind of a joke really but while LED lamp prices have been dropping, incandescents have been going up and when one factors in energy savings with LED lamps it is quickly becoming a no brainer as to what type of lamp is quickly becoming the better choice.

Maxt
03-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So there are 1.39 million housholds in Alberta, if ~70% of them sign up for free shit an average cost of ~500$ to the government. This little program will cost the government around 700 million dollars

700 million dollars? Fuck.... these NDP twats sure like to rack up debt, didn't they just post a 10.8 BILLION dollar deficit budget?

Just send them to me, people in Van have a hard on for cheap power efficient goods
I seem to recall hearing this program had 36 million in funding, so 25 bucks a house?

rx7boi
03-01-2017, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Not if I get some sweet energy efficient security equipment :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

M.alex
03-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Why are they using a company headquartered out of Ontario??? Are there no Albertan companies that are able to go around and give out free stuff?

googe
03-02-2017, 02:39 AM
nice, someone send me an ecobee!

Seth1968
03-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
But... "it's free" ,,,,, ;)

Yes it's free. The Gubments goin pay for it.

Seriously, I can't wait to see the final tally and how this all works out.

ZenOps
03-02-2017, 08:49 AM
Save the electricity and sell it to Ontario for 20 pennies per kwh.

Win win.

dj_rice
03-02-2017, 09:12 AM
They are pushing for this hard. I see it all over the news, on the radio
:thumbsup:

FraserB
03-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
They are pushing for this hard. I see it all over the news, on the radio
:thumbsup:

Probably hoping no one catches on that they are taking a few hundred million from carbon tax revenues and sending it to an Ontario company when there are tons of people in Alberta who would love the work.

bigbadboss101
03-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Will sign up in a bit and see how it goes! I have old light bulbs for sale if you guys want them. $5 each :nut:

rage2
03-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by SKR
http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/Ghent/clips/the%20shower%20head.mp4/thumbnailImage
First thing I thought of when I read this. :rofl:

Nobody's touching my high flow showerheads haha.

bigbadboss101
03-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Too bad they are not offering to replace for free the toilets and older windows.
Save me $30 grand!

Seth1968
03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Low flow showers suck. If it's a requirement for the deal, I'll be re-installing my "real shower" shower heads as soon as they leave.

Does anyone know if they'll replace CFLs with LEDs? Reason being, CFL sucks too, so I'll replace those with incandescents to get LED. And they better be warm LEDs :)

ExtraSlow
03-02-2017, 10:54 AM
I'll let you dudes test this out before I sign up. Don't want anyone fucking with my toilets or showers.

ZenOps
03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Peasants, I take full baths ;)

Seth1968
03-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Peasants, I take full baths ;)

Followed by a long shower rinse :)

Swank
03-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rage2

First thing I thought of when I read this. :rofl:

Nobody's touching my high flow showerheads haha. Did you get your hands on a Commando 450 :clap:

71/454
03-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

How is this program "helping the environment"?

Which part, the one where led lights use less electricity or the part where a programmable thermostat uses less natural gas?:dunno:

rage2
03-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Did you get your hands on a Commando 450 :clap:
I was planning on getting something overseas but turns out our pipes doesn't flow that much water anyways and you can't fix the correction without replacing the pipes. Only pipes that go straight to bathtubs have true high flow. Not sure if this is by code or what, maybe someone with plumbing experience can explain better. Maybe it's not even the pipes but the faucet control itself, but I didn't want to rip open my walls to find out.

I ended up measuring flow rate for all of the tubs and showers with the head removed and timing how long it takes to fill a large bucket. Low flow showerheads just made things even worse, and I ended up removing the restrictor on some Waterpiks that also had a high pressure mode and it was able to match the maximum flow of the pipe with the most pressure possible but in a smaller spray pattern.

If anyone knows how to get more flow through existing pipes feel free to share. The bathtub has 2.5x higher flow rate than my showers, would love to get that flow rate to the showers haha.

Gestalt
03-02-2017, 12:37 PM
No one reads?

Uses google?

The program will cost $21 million and is being funded by the carbon tax.

Darkane
03-02-2017, 12:39 PM

I was planning on getting something overseas but turns out our pipes doesn't flow that much water anyways and you can't fix the correction without replacing the pipes. Only pipes that go straight to bathtubs have true high flow. Not sure if this is by code or what, maybe someone with plumbing experience can explain better. Maybe it's not even the pipes but the faucet control itself, but I didn't want to rip open my walls to find out.

I ended up measuring flow rate for all of the tubs and showers with the head removed and timing how long it takes to fill a large bucket. Low flow showerheads just made things even worse, and I ended up removing the restrictor on some Waterpiks that also had a high pressure mode and it was able to match the maximum flow of the pipe with the most pressure possible but in a smaller spray pattern.

If anyone knows how to get more flow through existing pipes feel free to share. The bathtub has 2.5x higher flow rate than my showers, would love to get that flow rate to the showers haha.

Technically, you can tie-in to your bath piping and if you're up for some quick demo/Reno run the line to a rain shower head up the wall, across the roof. I've thought about that.

bjstare
Originally posted by 71/454

Which part, the one where led lights use less electricity or the part where a programmable thermostat uses less natural gas?:dunno:

It's a moot point. The environment doesn't need to be helped in AB - we have some of the cleanest air on the planet. Moreover, 100% of Alberta could stop using all electricity and gas -period-, and it wouldn't make a difference - our total carbon contributions don't even amount to a rounding error on the global scale.

HiTempguy1

Bitch to the city about low pressure in the mains. You might be hooped though, sometimes it is what it is in certain neighbourhoods. Its amazing how many large leaks there are that go unnoticed, for instance, they cause sizeable pressure drops. I once buried a city truck up to its axle in a grassy median to do a fire hydrant inspection, the whole area was turning into a sinkhole it was leaking so much water. Would never have found it otherwise!

You aren't going to be able to do much in the house besides have as few restrictions as possible between your water header and the outlet point. Of course, if the house is built/drywalled, not much you can do.

Might want to see if your water header is undersized, it happens a lot and people don't realize that. Should be readily accessible in the basement. For tubs and showers, I think the actual control valves themselves have restrictors on them/built into them nowadays. Will be a bitch of a time to replace.

Source: I worked water distribution in Red Deer for years, as well as did plumbing before that time. Oh those were the days :rofl:

Gestalt
03-02-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

It's a moot point. The environment doesn't need to be helped in AB - we have some of the cleanest air on the planet. Moreover, 100% of Alberta could stop using all electricity and gas -period-, and it wouldn't make a difference - our total carbon contributions don't even amount to a rounding error on the global scale.

It's a closed system? There's a giant dome over Alberta? Are you including impact from our exported oil?

It's part of a shift in thinking that will spread.

They just announced a exciting solar credit or rebate that we are keen to look into since we need a roof.

Also, hoping to we get an electric car rebate. similar to Ontario.

It's a fundamental shift in human energy production and use, probably the biggest change of our lives.

I already ordered 5 Canadian Solar solar panels for the garage since the one roof faces south. Their suggestion is a Meter upgrade so we can sell back to Enmax, and grid tied micro inverters. That's my first 3 months of paychecks from Uber :rofl:

Want to jump on this, because once the get enough micro producers selling to the grid, they will cap and grandfather, like some areas in the US.

Seth1968
03-02-2017, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Gestalt
No one reads?

Uses google?

The program will cost $21 million and is being funded by the carbon tax.

Who the hell are you referring to, as there was never any confusion about the cost or how it will be funded. In fact, some posters (including myself) sarcastically pointed out that "free-government paid" means taxpayer funded.

Gestalt
03-02-2017, 01:12 PM
We've had guesses of $500 per house, to $700 million.

The biggest complaint about the carbon tax was that it wont actually go to environment, and here it is, and people comlaining even more.

dirtsniffer
03-02-2017, 01:25 PM
that wasn't the biggest complaint about the carbon tax!

also my estimate appears to be spot on based on the government allocation of 21 million (to change light bulbs!)

first person back on the ignore list after I cleared it once Toma was banned.

How many NDP supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?
None, the government will pay someone $21 million to do it for them

Gestalt
03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
that wasn't the biggest complaint about the carbon tax!

also my estimate appears to be spot on based on the government allocation of 21 million (to change light bulbs!)

first person back on the ignore list after I cleared it once Toma was banned.

including the price of the stuff.

You might be right. There are 1.3 million households in alberta. How did you figure out how many would sign up for the plan?

What would you suggest spending the carbon tax dollars on?

JfuckinC
03-02-2017, 01:46 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

Nova316
03-02-2017, 02:31 PM
I think all the products are on their website

https://www.ecofitt.ca/products/

So its not an ecobee or nest haha

bjstare
03-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Gestalt

It's a closed system? There's a giant dome over Alberta? Are you including impact from our exported oil?

It's part of a shift in thinking that will spread.

They just announced a exciting solar credit or rebate that we are keen to look into since we need a roof.

Also, hoping to we get an electric car rebate. similar to Ontario.

It's a fundamental shift in human energy production and use, probably the biggest change of our lives.

Of course I'm not including the impact of our exported oil, because if we don't produce and export it, someone else will.

Alternatively, do you think because Albertans are the ideological climate change leaders that it's going to have an impact on the massive populations that consume oil/pollute the atmosphere at a staggering rate (China, India, etc)?

If so, get real - it won't. :rofl:

suntan
03-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Nova316

So its not an ecobee or nest haha Ecobee's on there.

Escape
03-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Nova316

So its not an ecobee or nest haha

That website is giving me a malware warning

rage2
03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Ecobee's on there.
Pretty sure you get the $50 one and not the $200 or 300 Ecobee.

Gestalt
03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Of course I'm not including the impact of our exported oil, because if we don't produce and export it, someone else will.

Alternatively, do you think because Albertans are the ideological climate change leaders that it's going to have an impact on the massive populations that consume oil/pollute the atmosphere at a staggering rate (China, India, etc)?

If so, get real - it won't. :rofl:

Absolutely. Large part of China's pollution is what we buy for 0.99 cents. Only so long it citizens will want to wear gas masks to go outside, and only so long we will continue buying from dirty producers without massive tarrifs.

bigbadboss101
03-02-2017, 05:31 PM
May be one can upgrade to the non basic ones for an additional cost? I might want my old Honeywell programmable thermostat over a less trusted make of a smart thermostat.

Tik-Tok
03-02-2017, 07:01 PM

Pretty sure you get the $50 one and not the $200 or 300 Ecobee.

I'm sure you'll be able to upgrade for $300 or $400 though :rofl:

ZenOps
03-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Carbon pollution is more of an issue at populated centers as its a health concern. Banning combustion engine cars (like Germany intends) would probably vastly improve the quality of life, lifespan and health of everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth

Once the carbon gets high enough, and diluted enough its not really significant other than maybe some climate effects.

Which throughout the entire 500 years of human industrialization has moved carbon from 0.035 percent of the atmosphere to 0.0407 percent

There is also the argument that with increased carbons in the atmosphere (above 0.04%) that plant life on earth naturally grows faster to absorb it (higher carbon content encourages plant growth)

The best greenhouse gas is actually Argon, which the best thermal windows are filled with and is 23x more common than carbons. At current rate, it would take 10,000 years for Carbons to match Argon per molecule in the atmosphere assuming that plant life would not increase to absorb the difference.

I'm not denying climate change, but its also fallacy to assume that extra carbon in the atmosphere will not have some positive effects as well.

cancer man
03-03-2017, 08:54 AM

LED lightbulbs
LED nightlights
Faucet aerators
Low-flow showerheads
Advanced power strips for audio-visual equipment
Smart thermostats

So possibly around $100 worth of things we can claw back from the NDP. But, two site visits, lets say around $75 dollars an hour for a tech

$150 tech time
$50 tool charge
$75 vehicle mileage
$100 vehicle and tools
$115 charge for parts

$500 invoice for the government per house!
3 house a day, 780 houses per year per unit, 50 units province wide 39,000 upgrades a year
$20,000,000 a year for the government to change lightbulbs

https://www.efficiencyalberta.ca/residential-no-charge/

fucking awesome.

Got a call this morning the fkers are from Ontario.
say no..

rx7boi
03-03-2017, 09:14 AM
Meh.

No clue how Ecofitt came to obtain the contract. Wonder if a bunch of vendors bid for the job and they're the ones that came back strongest.

kenny
03-03-2017, 10:45 AM
Meh.

No clue how Ecofitt came to obtain the contract. Wonder if a bunch of vendors bid for the job and they're the ones that came back strongest.

Notley made a deal with Wynne. :drama:

cidley69
03-03-2017, 11:45 AM
An investigative journalist should look up the names associated with that company to see if there actually is a connection, something sure seems fishy.

How many months till we get to vote her out?!

GOnSHO
03-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Since signing up for this(this morning), ive gotten 2 phone calls ALREADY asking for donations.

Wildrose/Conservatives
Firefighters association

WTF!?

Disoblige
03-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Glad I didn't sign up for this SHIT.

ZenOps
03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
I'm finding the NDP to be quite tame.

Really, they could have tried to push through a ban on combustion engine cars - that would be extreme.

Replacing bulbs with LED's? That's about as small as it gets. I'm actually quite liking the NDP right now for its minimalist approach.