R!zz0
03-12-2017, 10:36 AM
What do you guys think?

http://www.macleans.ca/society/alberta-could-get-rid-of-daylight-saving-time/

Sugarphreak
03-12-2017, 10:41 AM

FraserB
03-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Wasn't there an article a while back that showed that DST results on more power usage?

If you want to dump it for that reason, then I can kind of agree with it. But that's probably the only reason

speedog
03-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Saw the thread title and all that came to mind was 'who the hell is Thomas Dang'. DST, I don't really care if it's here or not, minor annoyance to change some clocks, that's about it.

Xtrema
03-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That basically sums it up for you

Hate to call you out for it, this is one of the rare items where both NDP and Progressive Conservatives are calling for the same thing, especially rural Albertans.

If people start diving into policies instead of just party labels, our political system won't be as radicalized.

Originally posted by FraserB
Wasn't there an article a while back that showed that DST results on more power usage?

If you want to dump it for that reason, then I can kind of agree with it. But that's probably the only reason

TLDR on that PHD's study:

- Albertans tends to raise and go to work early.
- Alberta tends to get sun rise at later in the day.

Those 2 combined is cause of extra energy used.

On top of that, a Colorado study concluded that the Monday after spring forward will have 17% increase in fatal traffic deaths as many are fight with 1hr less of sleep.

The big fight is do we stick with MST or MDT if we are leaving the clock alone. And consider how much it cost the IT industry last time Bush Jr screw with the clock, how much would this cost businesses in this front.

JRSC00LUDE
03-12-2017, 10:52 AM
We don't have it, it's great!

C_Dave45
03-12-2017, 11:09 AM
I guess I'm one of the weird ones. I love it. I look forward to it at each turn.

I like it in the fall as the turning back makes it light when I wake up, as the days are getting shorter and darker. Plus getting that extra hour Saturday night to watch movies or party is a nice mental boost.

I especially love the spring time change as it seems to be a significant factor in those "longer days", meaning summer and camping is just around the corner.

I would be majorly bummed to lose it. Have lived with it for over 50 years and have no problems whatsoever adjusting to it immediately. For the life of me I can't understand people who can't figure it out and try to blame grogginess, car accidents, loss of workplace production, etc, on such a simple concept. :dunno:

And with almost every timepiece and alarm system we use being based on computers or smart phones, there's hardly anything to adjust. (The stove and microwave?)

I've had this weekend highlighted as something to look forward to for weeks now. :clap:

firebane
03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I guess I'm one of the weird ones. I love it. I look forward to it at each turn.

I like it in the fall as the turning back makes it light when I wake up, as the days are getting shorter and darker. Plus getting that extra hour Saturday night to watch movies or party is a nice mental boost.

I especially love the spring time change as it seems to be a significant factor in those "longer days", meaning summer and camping is just around the corner.

I would be majorly bummed to lose it. Have lived with it for over 50 years and have no problems whatsoever adjusting to it immediately. For the life of me I can't understand people who can't figure it out and try to blame grogginess, car accidents, loss of workplace production, etc, on such a simple concept. :dunno:

And with almost every timepiece and alarm system we use being based on computers or smart phones, there's hardly anything to adjust. (The stove and microwave?)

I've had this weekend highlighted as something to look forward to for weeks now. :clap:

The time change in the spring doesn't bother me too much as I have a tendency to be awake earlier but the fall change really throws my bodies internal clock for a loop and the first few days to a week I am really out of sorts.

M.alex
03-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

And consider how much it cost the IT industry last time Bush Jr screw with the clock, how much would this cost businesses in this front.

This - just leave it alone. Too much f*king backend work because a bunch of pansies can't adjust to 1hr less sleep immediately.

kertejud2
03-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Some fun info on DST

84aWtseb2-4

R!zz0
03-12-2017, 01:24 PM
^ There's nothing on that video :(

Tik-Tok
03-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The big fight is do we stick with MST or MDT if we are leaving the clock alone.

I'm ok with keeping it, or getting rid of it, but IMO if it's the latter it needs to be MST, just so we don't have a 2 hour time difference with BC for 1/2 the year.

spikerS
03-12-2017, 03:03 PM
48 states, 9 provinces, and 3 territories observe daylight savings time. The remaining 2 states and 1 province clock block.

Gestalt
03-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Its dumb, and there is no reason for it.

rage2
03-12-2017, 06:52 PM
If you work for any international company and have to deal with non local customers, not following along with the majority is a pain in the ass. India doesn't have DST so our shifts in that office changes anyways to accommodate DST which makes it more troublesome. Managing meetings with customers are a bitch because you have to deal with their timezone and DST when booking and it makes it non intuitive when trying to find a slot on each other's calendars.

We have a vendor that we deal with in AZ and he always fucks up our meeting times because of DST.

Escape
03-12-2017, 07:13 PM
I think many would appreciate an extra hour of sunlight in the winter evenings.

4:30pm darkness sucks

Stick to MDT/CST all year!

acedia
03-12-2017, 07:29 PM
I love it. Allows me to get some pretty late evening golf in during the summer.

NoPulp
03-12-2017, 07:33 PM
I think I'd rather not have a shift. It doesn't take long to adjust, but still annoying. In the winter I'd rather have sunlight longer into the evening.

Masked Bandit
03-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Today is the first day of "spring". Okay, not really, but when it's 7:30 PM and there's still some sunlight I feel like winter is mostly behind us and that makes me happy. Getting rid of DST feels like I'm slipping further back in to the archaic times of my youth in Saskatchewan when the NDP ruled and everyone was broke. Not interested in any more of that.

JRSC00LUDE
03-12-2017, 07:54 PM
Dang's Saving Time yo!

C_Dave45
03-12-2017, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I think I'd rather not have a shift. It doesn't take long to adjust, but still annoying. In the winter I'd rather have sunlight longer into the evening.
So you want "daylight saving" to be applied year round? In the winter time it wouldn't be getting light until almost 10 o'clock in the morning!
Really?!! I'd find that fucking depressing as hell.

NoPulp
03-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

So you want "daylight saving" to be applied year round? In the winter time it wouldn't be getting light until almost 10 o'clock in the morning!
Really?!! I'd find that fucking depressing as hell.
In the winter I go to work in the dark regardless of the time change or not. It's depressing as hell to go to work in the dark and drive home in the dark... I'd rather enjoy my time off work in the light than have light in the morning.

Gestalt
03-12-2017, 08:31 PM
My wife showed me the suncalc website, and if I am using it right, winter time should be used all year, as that puts solar noon closest to 12:00 o clock for most of the year. With this leap forward, we are getting solar noon at 1:45

16hypen3sp
03-12-2017, 09:40 PM
Either keep it as is or keep DST year round. I will be pissed if we lose our later evening sun in the summer.

OTown
03-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Either keep it as is or keep DST year round. I will be pissed if we lose our later evening sun in the summer.

+1

ZenOps
03-13-2017, 08:37 AM
I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

R154
03-13-2017, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

sig'd

jwslam
03-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps

Join me.
Also slow down the orbit so there are more summer months for the northern hemisphere. The south is always warm anyways!
15 month years please!

Thaco
03-13-2017, 09:17 AM
i am all for it, its a stupid archaic thing that really doesn't benefit anybody.

Swank
03-13-2017, 09:30 AM
The only thing I don't like about DST is the twice a year whining about it. In fall I get extra sleep, in spring I get extra sun after work, who the hell doesn't want more sleep and sun? Bunch of narcoleptic vampires :whipped:

speedog
03-13-2017, 09:52 AM
So for North America, getting rid of DST in Alberta would gain us what advantage when probably 95% of North America still has DST?

http://i.imgur.com/vpAdh1q.png

Hallowed_point
03-13-2017, 10:03 AM
I love DST. Who needs more than 5-6 hours of sleep besides babies?

sexualbanana
03-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

They mentioned it on the news I saw this morning. I guess in Ontario, DST cuts power consumption by 1.5%, while in Alberta it raises consumption by 1%.

Apparently we get up for work earlier or something.

Aleks
03-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
I love DST. Who needs more than 5-6 hours of sleep besides babies?

Everyone under 65 :dunno:

Escape
03-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by speedog
So for North America, getting rid of DST in Alberta would gain us what advantage when probably 95% of North America still has DST?

http://i.imgur.com/vpAdh1q.png

I can see more and more states and provinces ditching dst in the coming years. alberta is just getting a head start.

especially BC, i think they will follow quickly if alberta goes ahead

Hallowed_point
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Everyone under 65 :dunno:

on much sleep does Arnold Schwarzenegger get?
I've always figured out that there 24 hours a day. You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend.Apr 19, 2012

Masked Bandit
08-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Bump:

I can't believe this shit is gaining steam:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/daylight-savings-consultations-dates-feedback-1.4260338

What's more valuable, an extra hour of sun in the summer when you have the weather to be outside, or in the middle of winter when everyone is huddled up inside anyway? Stupid goddamn NDP jackasses!

Xtrema
08-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Stupid goddamn NDP jackasses!

http://www.macleans.ca/news/albertans-tell-government-lose-daylight-saving-time/

The only issue where NDP isn't wrong and has majority support of Albertans AND was initially introduced by a PC MLA.

So don't pin everything on NDP. Keep sticking it to them on debt. Almost everyone on all political spectrum is ok with this.

https://perryponders.com/2015/03/31/daylight-savings-time-was-first-introduced-by-the-germans-in-the-great-war/

After all, Germans came up with this back in WWI, they lost both wars and we don't burn lantern any more for light. So who cares, no point risking car accidents and drowsy kids twice a year for this.

suntan
08-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Why getting rid of Dang Sexy Time?

Tik-Tok
08-24-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm probably the only one who wants to get rid of MDT and stay on MST year round :rofl:

J-hop
08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
I personally don't care either way about the basic idea of it, but the cost involved seems to me would be ridiculous. Just leave it as is IMO...

max_boost
08-24-2017, 12:01 PM
Get rid of it.

I thought this was about getting rid of GST lol

lasimmon
08-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Being 2 hours behind BC will be stupid.

Having hockey games start at 9:00 on weekends and 8:00 on weekdays will be stupid.

Sugarphreak
08-24-2017, 12:18 PM

tirebob
08-24-2017, 12:18 PM
I like DST... It is easier to get going in the morning when it is lighter earlier, and longer evenings in the summer is awesome! I can't understand those people that bitch... "Oh I am groggy for a day or two!" Whatever... The benefits far exceed the drawback!

M.alex
08-24-2017, 12:22 PM
I personally don't care either way about the basic idea of it, but the cost involved seems to me would be ridiculous. Just leave it as is IMO...

I can't imagine the technical head-aches it would cause.

Just changing it for internal systems is a pain in the ass, but then you compound that globally and........:facepalm:

suntan
08-24-2017, 12:23 PM
WestJet had some good reasons around keeping DST.

It's one of those things that should be changed continent-wide.

Seth1968
08-24-2017, 12:27 PM
I can't understand those people that bitch... "Oh I am groggy for a day or two!" Whatever...

Those that say that, do so because "someone else said it", or they're prone to a psychological placebo effect.

rage2
08-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Alberta getting rid of DST will kill off any chance of diversifying into Silicon Valley 2.0 or whatever buzzword we want to call it, or attract any global businesses. The headaches this would cause would be absolutely retarded.

India doesn't have DST, and our entire staff there revolves their work schedules around DST because they deal with every timezone in the world. So they work earlier/later during each change even though their times doesn't. Imagine having to do that in Calgary where your work schedule changes with your personal schedule 1/2 the year. People with families having to change work times which stepping over school times, hockey times, etc. It'll be madness.

And before speedog asks, I've let my thoughts known during the public feedback period. ;)

Masked Bandit
08-24-2017, 12:39 PM
those that say that, do so because "someone else said it", or they're prone to a psychological placebo effect.

b i n g o !!!

Xtrema
08-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Alberta getting rid of DST will kill off any chance of diversifying into Silicon Valley 2.0 or whatever buzzword we want to call it, or attract any global businesses. The headaches this would cause would be absolutely retarded.

India doesn't have DST, and our entire staff there revolves their work schedules around DST because they deal with every timezone in the world. So they work earlier/later during each change even though their times doesn't. Imagine having to do that in Calgary where your work schedule changes with your personal schedule 1/2 the year. People with families having to change work times which stepping over school times, hockey times, etc. It'll be madness.

And before speedog asks, I've let my thoughts known during the public feedback period. ;)

The way I see it, majority of Calgary works from 6am to 3pm anyway.

KrisYYC
08-24-2017, 02:17 PM
I work shift work so I couldn't care less about DST. That being said our sunrises would be crazy early in the summer if we stuck to standard time year round.

Tik-Tok
08-24-2017, 02:22 PM
I work shift work so I couldn't care less about DST. That being said our sunrises would be crazy early in the summer if we stuck to standard time year round.

If they go through with it, we'll be on Central time, which means summer stays as-is, but winter sunrise/sets will be different (compared to now)

KrisYYC
08-24-2017, 02:25 PM
If they go through with it, we'll be on Central time, which means summer stays as-is, but winter sunrise/sets will be different (compared to now)

Ah I see.

J-hop
08-24-2017, 02:34 PM
This whole thing sounds like something you'd expect out of Quebec not Alberta.

Makes me laugh because every time this gets brought up I just picture RDJ "you went full Quebec man.. never go full Quebec"

shakalaka
08-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Prime example of an accidental politician trying to do something that'll keep his name in the news and count as a 'contribution' towards the society.

Seth1968
08-24-2017, 02:40 PM
^ Exactly

The_Penguin
08-24-2017, 06:22 PM
As an I.T. guy, I say fuck DST. After all these years. there's STILL shit that doesn't handle DST properly.
That and it's really a silly thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw

But....
Don't change our time zone. And, all of North America should abolish it simultaneously.

Tik-Tok
10-31-2017, 08:22 AM
The bill is Officially scrapped.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3833827/alberta-government-officially-scraps-bill-that-would-get-rid-of-daylight-saving-time/

ExtraSlow
10-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Dang

rage2
10-31-2017, 10:36 AM
The bill is Officially scrapped.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3833827/alberta-government-officially-scraps-bill-that-would-get-rid-of-daylight-saving-time/
Thank god. Me along with every employee that deals with non local customers would've hated to change working hours twice a year haha.

Dang
Well played. :clap:

ExtraSlow
10-31-2017, 11:16 AM
When you take a lot of shots you have a chance to score some goals.