PDA

View Full Version : Alterations - Got skinnier - worth it?

ExtraSlow
03-20-2017, 10:29 AM
So I'm less of a fatass than I used to be, and now my dress shirts and sportcoats are baggy in the gut area. What's it cost to have a shirt taken in by a place that'll do a decent job? I assume a sport coat is a lot more work and money?

Where do people recommend for this stuff?

If the cost is too high, I may just buy new ones, but when you have a closet full of clothes you already like, seems like alterations would be better.

I know there are a lot of more stylish dudes on beyond than myself, so I'm hoping to get better info than just phoning around.

Could always gain that weight back. I don't think it would be that hard.....

Mitsu3000gt
03-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Jaafars Tailor took some of my dress shirts in for $15 each and he always seems to be recommended (or at least used to be).

I took a suit to Giovanni (the other one often recommended) and I'm sure he does a good job but his prices were outrageous. Basic alterations to a suit coat and pants were $200 and he wanted another $150 to make the sleeves shorter. Another $100 I could have bought a brand new custom suit :rofl:

max_boost
03-20-2017, 12:19 PM
probably just alter half your stuff in case the weight comes back.

Henry's Tailoring in Heritage Plaza next to the cop station.

blubs
03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Depending on how much weight you dropped it can for sure be worth it. Being a small guy I have to get most of my stuff done. Pants always seem to be the most noticeable on people when they are over/undersized. In your case they can take the back of them in a fair amount, just watch that the pockets dont get too close together.

For shirts most places will toss a few darts in the back of shirts pretty cheap and can make the difference. I'd be bringing a few by a few places and get some quotes.

Dumbass17
03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
probably just alter half your stuff in case the weight comes back...

+1
A guy I work with apparently lost 75lbs 4 years ago. He hasn't bought new clothes or got them altered and he looks ridiculous. Like a scarecrow wearing his dad's work clothes.
:whocares:

ExtraSlow
03-20-2017, 12:55 PM
Yeah, it's been around thirty pounds from my previous 230. It's only mildy ridiculous, but since I'm trying to present a professional image to get my business off the ground, I feel like wearing clothes that fit is a good idea.

Pants haven't been as much of an issue since a lot of my pants were worn out and I bought a few new pairs.

Not super worried about gaining it all back, since I've been able to keep pretty stable through the last six months. This isn't any kind of yo-yo diet setup. At least, if I do gain it back, I figure it'll take a decent amount of time anyway.

Anyone have an idea on cost for sportcoat?

Akumaz
03-21-2017, 09:12 AM
the new trend is the more fitted look for suits and jackets
i personally like it over the traditional fit

it might be worth the money to invest in a new suit or jackets
instead of getting them tailored

Rw&co usually have 30-40% off regularly, their sports fit or tailored fit jackets fits pretty well i find, slim fit is way too slim.
you can get a full suit for 200-250 while on discount.

Or Indochino, 350-500 usually for a full suit (while on promo)
much better material, but will take a month or so, longer if you have to send it back for alterations or remakes
my favorite suit by far is my indochino one, though i had to get it remade, the remake came in perfect.

CMW403
03-21-2017, 10:48 PM
If you go the alteration route, check out Mansours in Dalhousie.

Owned and operated by a close friends family, he has been doing all of the alterations on my and my fathers suits for years now.

BokCh0y
03-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Just buy new stuff cuz when you put the weight back on, you'll have that stuff to wear.