PDA

View Full Version : Voles!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BokCh0y
04-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Now that the snow is finally gone, I can see the significant damage that's been done to my luscious lawn by all the fucking voles this past winter.

What are you guys doing to protect your lawn or kill the voles? Apparently there are specialized traps and bait out there for use as compared to the typical style mouse traps.

Anyone know where to but these specialized traps? I have a small dog and there is friendly neighborhood fat cat that roams around, so I don't want to inadvertently kill the wrong animal, am really looking for the voles traps. Have not seen those style of traps at homedepot or rona either, thinking may have to go to a pest control joint.

Also how do i fix the trails they've gnawed up? Just grass seed I guess?

Thanks.

heavyD
04-01-2017, 08:46 PM
I had a vole problem once in my back yard. Tried everything but the solution was these sticks. They kind of looked like dynamite sticks and you lit one, placed it in a vole hole and cover up with dirt. It basically smokes them out through their tunnel network. I used them in a couple of different places and never heard from the again. I can't remember what it was called as this was maybe 10 years ago.

suntan
04-01-2017, 08:47 PM
Mouse traps work fine. I caught over 30 last year.

Rake up the dead stuff, reseed with soil, fertilize with something that has a middle number greater than zero. Water.

Thaco
04-01-2017, 10:29 PM
yeh my inlaws have had issues for a couple years, seems like nothing works!! if there are any good solutions i'd love to hear em too!

found this on youtube, might be worth a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMf2SuXVArU

BokCh0y
04-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Wow those little dynamite things are awesome, wondering if those are available here in Calgary?

I also thought about trying this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

J-hop
04-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Wow those little dynamite things are awesome, wondering if those are available here in Calgary?

I also thought about trying this too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrwNpxyaiA

As far as I know you can't buy them in the city as I believe there is some bylaw that prohibits their use within the city. We bought some at the strathmore UFA. The ones we used are called "the giant killer". Worked great for gophers.

Was going to say get a dog in there OP but sounds like you have one. Ours dug up and killed the voles in our yard shortly after we moved in.

88CRX
04-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Had a vole problem 2 winters ago and I still have them. I keep traps and poison out 24/7/365. Used to catch lots. Now only the odd one but there still around.

Good luck!

phreezee
04-02-2017, 10:18 AM
You can get the Giant Destroyer at Rona. I had voles under the front steps and the Giant Destroyer got rid of any signs of them for week or so but they come back after.

I got a sulphur smell in my basement after using the Giant Destroyer under the steps, so I wouldn't risk CO with the tail pipe trick unless the hole is far away from the house.

Bought one of those ultrasonic motion detectors and it got rid of them for good.

bigbadboss101
04-02-2017, 10:50 AM
We caught 3 last year with trap and peanut butter. I am afraid there are many more. Don't want to use poison. The smoke or the sound method might be an option. Will look more into it next few weeks.

BokCh0y
04-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll run out this week to see if I can find one of those smoke bomb things.

As for smoking them out with exhaust...that was more of a joke haha. I'm not redneck enough to shit like that, although it would be fun to gas out the voles.

My dog btw is a little bichon x toy poodle, she digs nothing. And I'm pretty sure the voles would scare her instead of her trying to chase and kill them haha. She's like a fluffly cat minus the murderer mentality.

Waldi
04-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll run out this week to see if I can find one of those smoke bomb things.

As for smoking them out with exhaust...that was more of a joke haha. I'm not redneck enough to shit like that, although it would be fun to gas out the voles.

My dog btw is a little bichon x toy poodle, she digs nothing. And I'm pretty sure the voles would scare her instead of her trying to chase and kill them haha. She's like a fluffly cat minus the murderer mentality.
Use mouse traps with no bite just place them in those trails with trigger in the trail, possibly few next to each other. Since you have dogs and cats, may have to use some cover to protect. I used to catch 4-5 a day using this method.

KPHMPH
04-02-2017, 07:45 PM
I had them down in Mahogany - I used those dynamite sticks, they are CO2 bombs.... they basically suffocate the voles and their babies. It was the best way to get rid of them AS LONG as you know where all their holes are.

craigcd
04-02-2017, 07:47 PM
I think I have them under my shed. I am going to buy a couple and see if i cant bomb them out!

BokCh0y
04-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Yeah i'll try the trap thing for sure, but gonna try the smoke bomb thing too!!! I can only find the one hole, but I'm pretty sure the fucker dug one from one side of the driveway to the other. My lazy neighbors have holes all around their driveway, I'm pretty sure they're part of the reason.

jwslam
04-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Looked into my back yard a few days ago and wondered wtf happened, but didn't think too much of it.

Today I learned I have voles too :banghead: :banghead:

schocker
04-03-2017, 08:33 AM
Now that the snow is (was) gone front and back, after three years I am finally free of voles :burnout:

I think they live fairly close so check under structures/walkways/driveways and gardens where they have their little hovels and either remove them or destroy their home.

suntan
04-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Guys, voles don't make underground tunnels. If you have tunnels then you have something more annoying, like ground squirrels.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Are these dudes thinking of Moles? Those can fuck up your yard, although I don't think they are that common.

bigbadboss101
04-03-2017, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Guys, voles don't make underground tunnels. If you have tunnels then you have something more annoying, like ground squirrels.

The make grooves like this and I have seen one in the front yard. In the back is where we caught 3 using trap and cheap peanut butter not the organic natural stuff we eat :-)

http://www.getridofthings.com/pests/animals/get-rid-of-voles/

Thaco
04-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Definitely voles. and they do dig tunnels, however only slightly below the surface of the grass.

https://www.thespruce.com/vole-control-getting-rid-of-voles-2131148

bigbadboss101
04-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Moles are much more ugly. These voles are slightly cute but you have to kill them anyways. Keep us informed how you all are doing when it comes to trapping and killing. We will be doing the same.

Thaco
04-03-2017, 01:48 PM
this might be worth a try if they're bated like mice anyway

https://www.facebook.com/AnAmericanHomestead/videos/1313749961994461/?hc_ref=SEARCH

hampstor
04-04-2017, 08:26 AM
A few years ago one of the employees at HD recommended for me to use the "GREAT STUFF Pestblock" expanding foam to plug up some of the holes left over the winter on my lawn. Was told they don't like the taste of it and will actually move on to another area all-together.

Oddly enough, it actually worked for a many years to prevent them from coming back (this year is the first year i've had issues again, and it's only 2-3 holes).

BokCh0y
04-04-2017, 08:50 AM
So you just fill the holes with some sort of expanding foam? I found one hole yesterday by the front walkway, but I know my neighbors have tons of holes. I wish it was just holes, my grass is all chewed up. Will post some pics later today if the one area.

Thaco
04-04-2017, 09:01 AM
So you just fill the holes with some sort of expanding foam? I found one hole yesterday by the front walkway, but I know my neighbors have tons of holes. I wish it was just holes, my grass is all chewed up. Will post some pics later today if the one area. yeah its because they burrow just below the surface to eat the grass roots, at least if you fill the holes on your side maybe it'll keep them over on your neighbors side, unfortunately the smoke bombs wont do you any good unless you can cap all the other holes, which it sounds like you cant because its on your neighbors side.

littledan
04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
I've had good success with the standard mouse traps. I use PB as bait, smear it on real good on the trigger. Make sure you put the trigger side of the trap right down into the path of the tunnels. I found that I caught them all at the entrance to their main hideout. Once I caught one, I moved all the traps into that area and would catch them all at the exact same spot. Got rid of about 6 or 7 last summer and had no vole damage this spring.

Prelude_dude
04-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
A few years ago one of the employees at HD recommended for me to use the "GREAT STUFF Pestblock" expanding foam to plug up some of the holes left over the winter on my lawn. Was told they don't like the taste of it and will actually move on to another area all-together.

Oddly enough, it actually worked for a many years to prevent them from coming back (this year is the first year i've had issues again, and it's only 2-3 holes).

Really? This stuff works outside? like it bonds to the dirt? All the reviews and even the description of the product appears to be for indoor use.

suntan
04-04-2017, 04:49 PM
No, it'll decay from weather and UV radiation will destroy it in months.

craigcd
04-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Got looking at the damage today, they went to town. They are under my shed so not sure the best way to get them. I cant see any holes/mounds coming up from the ground so they must be burrowing under the shed then tunneling out to the lawn!

I set 6 traps with peanut butter, not sure how that will work. I want to try to bomb them also, but under the shed deck isnt sealed so it might be ineffective.

speedog
04-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Where are y'all living to have these voles problems? We've been in our home for over 20 years and haven't ever had a vole about, haven't even seen them in our community.

craigcd
04-04-2017, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Where are y'all living to have these voles problems? We've been in our home for over 20 years and haven't ever had a vole about, haven't even seen them in our community.

Panorama Hills

Thaco
04-04-2017, 07:29 PM
my inlaws are in sherwood, likely near by construction stirring them up out of the fields.

botox
04-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Panorama and Hamptons for me. Apple pieces and standard traps worked great for us. Caught about a dozen or so last year. Doesn't help that our back yard is a field so I imagine we will be fighting this for a very long time. But we have an apple tree so we have unlimited bait. My wife at one point was reusing the traps but I find that disgusting and I have been throwing them out once one was caught.
https://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/topmade/Lego.jpg (https://s65.photobucket.com/user/topmade/media/Lego.jpg.html)

colsankey
04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Got some rough spots here too in Garrison. Time to break out the dynamite.

Thaco
04-05-2017, 06:39 AM
if they're bated similar to mice you could try this

6SIlYiiCGLI
yC1XNDyxE4c

or if you want to place it at the mouth of the hole

9MWGhn2u52Q

JordanEG6
04-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by craigcd
Got looking at the damage today, they went to town. They are under my shed so not sure the best way to get them. I cant see any holes/mounds coming up from the ground so they must be burrowing under the shed then tunneling out to the lawn!

I set 6 traps with peanut butter, not sure how that will work. I want to try to bomb them also, but under the shed deck isnt sealed so it might be ineffective.

Exact same problem. These little guys are burrowing under my shed. I've been able to block the little holes where they seem to be coming out of with gravel and pieces of wood. Set out a few traps and poison.

I'm hesitant on using the smoke bombs as well because the underside of the shed is a pallet that isn't sealed shut.

BokCh0y
04-05-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
if they're bated similar to mice you could try this

6SIlYiiCGLI
yC1XNDyxE4c

or if you want to place it at the mouth of the hole

9MWGhn2u52Q

That rolling mouse trap looks great!!! I did setup something similar but with a coke can instead, but it didn't catch anything, don't think voles care for peanut butter.

I'd relocate all the mice to coventry.

botox
04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
^^ Try just apples. I caught maybe a couple a week with peanut butter and apples. Then I switched to just apples and was getting some everyday consistently for weeks.

suntan
04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
If you use a bucket to catch them in you should fill it with water so they drown, as voles and mice can easily jump out of those things.

jwslam
04-05-2017, 12:12 PM
If you use a bucket to catch them in you should fill it with water so they drown, as voles and mice can easily jump out of those things.
You're also supposed to add dish soap to break the surface tension

craigcd
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
I am at 6 with peanut butter. 5 in a 24 hour period then 1 the following night. Might switch to apple. No idea how many there actually is but seeing how I got 5 in one night I am guessing there is more to come.

colinxx235
04-06-2017, 05:35 PM
I live in a new area in Aspen and have a MAJOR vole problem. I went through probably 40-50 traps last summer (at least) and caught probably 80+, I thought I had it pretty much under control, when I went to Palm Springs in September for 2 weeks I left with only 2/3 holes that kept coming up and came back to about 20 holes. This spring with the snow melting I easily have 40-50 holes along my front driveway and have yet to check the back yard.

If you guys find any of these smoke bombs let me know where, as I definitely need to try the method.

For those wondering about the bait traps, I used a small ball of peanut butter with oats mixed into it. Worked very well, the traps just can't keep up with how much they are breeding under my front steps though. Not to mention the trap setting is a pain in the ass and had my fingers snapped enough last summer to want to try something else.

And yah, they destroy the yard, had to rake up 6 or so bags of dead lawn last year, ordered 2 yards of top soil and then went through a couple hundred dollars of grass seed to try and regrow it. Fuckers are costing me a shit ton.

Oh and Zap pest control, is a useless waste of money.

blubs
04-06-2017, 10:23 PM
You can buy the smoke bombs at UFA. I recommend covering as many holes as possible. They do work though, killed lots of gophers with those things.

Thaco
04-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
I live in a new area in Aspen and have a MAJOR vole problem. I went through probably 40-50 traps last summer (at least) and caught probably 80+, I thought I had it pretty much under control, when I went to Palm Springs in September for 2 weeks I left with only 2/3 holes that kept coming up and came back to about 20 holes. This spring with the snow melting I easily have 40-50 holes along my front driveway and have yet to check the back yard.

If you guys find any of these smoke bombs let me know where, as I definitely need to try the method.

For those wondering about the bait traps, I used a small ball of peanut butter with oats mixed into it. Worked very well, the traps just can't keep up with how much they are breeding under my front steps though. Not to mention the trap setting is a pain in the ass and had my fingers snapped enough last summer to want to try something else.

And yah, they destroy the yard, had to rake up 6 or so bags of dead lawn last year, ordered 2 yards of top soil and then went through a couple hundred dollars of grass seed to try and regrow it. Fuckers are costing me a shit ton.

Oh and Zap pest control, is a useless waste of money.

if its right beside your driveway might be worth trying the redneck vehicle exhaust thing boychoy posted earlier, at least to doesn't cost anything to try...

jwslam
04-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
https://www.rona.ca/en/rodent-control-gas-sticks-pack-of-4-5067001

BokCh0y
04-07-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm gonna buy the gas control sticks and try them out, let you know how it works guys. And if I still have voles I'm gonna gas them with my trucks exhaust. Traps, I'll try that afterwards.

bigbadboss101
04-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Yup lets us know. I haven't looked hard enough for new holes or grooves. Will inspect is weekend while cleaning poop from the yard :-)

hampstor
04-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude

Really? This stuff works outside? like it bonds to the dirt? All the reviews and even the description of the product appears to be for indoor use.

No it didn't bond (nor was I expecting it to) ... i used maybe 3-4 cans of the pest block (not regular one) to fill the holes, waited for it to expand and cure, trimmed it down a few inches, then covered with dirt and reseeded.

I figured they'd just burrow around it and continued to wreck my yard, but they ended up moving onto someone else's yard. Obviously, YMMV.

For some context as to why I even tried this - my home backs onto a ravine so my yard was getting wrecked by mice and voles regularly. I had nothing to lose at that point because I had tried traps, poisons, gas bombs ... I even took cat piss that was clumped from the litter box and shoved it down the holes. I'd kill a bunch, it'd be ok for a few weeks, then they'd come back.

88CRX
04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I even took cat piss that was clumped from the litter box and shoved it down the holes.

Aggressive! :rofl:

hampstor
04-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Aggressive! :rofl:

yeah definitely not my finest hour.... I went from trying to kill them all, to trying to make my yard less desirable for them to live in relative to my neighbour's yard. :D

ZenOps
04-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Looks like voles have hit me too. Need more neighborhood cats.

suntan
04-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Set one trap out yesterday, had dead vole this morning.

Also found a rabbit leg in the front yard this morning. WTF.

Boat
04-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Our lawn is and front garden is really f'd up by voles. Back too. Just ordered the traps, will post back in a couple of days

jwslam
04-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Boat
Our lawn is and front garden is really f'd up by voles. Back too. Just ordered the traps, will post back in a couple of days
You just need a cat that actually does cat things.

Boat
04-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

My cat think she's a thug so it's going to chase after a rabbit and get lost. :banghead:

Boat
04-17-2017, 12:53 AM
Planted 2 traps this afternoon. Caught 2 this eve. Cute little buggers. The trap looked like it gave them clean deaths. The battle has begun!

Thaco
04-17-2017, 09:14 AM
i have seen these things everywhere lately, many places i haven't seen them before.

BokCh0y
04-17-2017, 01:38 PM
Yeah shit forgot to update.

Ended up just trying the snapper traps first. Set a bunch of traps around the place, one at my lazy neighbors house - whamo caught one later in the evening at his place, fat mother fucker too. Haven't seen any after that, hopefully it was just that fucker that did all the damage. Set the trap right by the entrance hole btw.

88CRX
04-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Yeah shit forgot to update.

Ended up just trying the snapper traps first. Set a bunch of traps around the place, one at my lazy neighbors house - whamo caught one later in the evening at his place, fat mother fucker too. Haven't seen any after that, hopefully it was just that fucker that did all the damage. Set the trap right by the entrance hole btw.

You never have just one!

I had a false sense of victory at first, then those fuckers wrecked even more grass. Keep the traps going there will be more haha

BokCh0y
04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

You never have just one!

I had a false sense of victory at first, then those fuckers wrecked even more grass. Keep the traps going there will be more haha

Yep I left all the traps out, one at the neighbors place and the rest around where I've found other holes and shit. I think they may be under my shed too.

J-hop
04-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Can't comment on the effectiveness but I finally figured out what this was on my neighbors lawn. He has a beautiful lawn and I always thought this was to keep dogs away buts it's for voles.

https://www.amazon.com/Repeller-Ultrasonic-Gopher-Rodent-Garden/dp/B01JFESC3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492480094&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+vole+repellent

botox
04-18-2017, 11:16 AM
^^ Interesting, just bought 2 sets and will give it a try. I haven't seen any this year so far but there were lots of tracks in the grass when the snow melted.

craigcd
04-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Trapped 11 to date. Started using poison before the long weekend. I haven't had a trap kill since so:

- I either caught them all in traps/poison
- They have outsmarted me

See how the next couple days go!

Waldi
04-19-2017, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

.. or dog, I have two dogs, young one is catching voles like crazy, herd that once dogs pee in the yard kind of keeps voles off.

BokCh0y
04-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Interesting comment about dogs. Mine pees all over the backyard and they still damaged it.

Do voles move as fast as mice? I heard they're slower.

suntan
04-22-2017, 09:22 PM
I've caught mice with my hands. Harder to do with voles though (I grab mice by the tail).

jwslam
04-23-2017, 09:49 AM
I've caught mice with my hands. Harder to do with voles though (I grab mice by the tail).

suntan
04-23-2017, 04:57 PM
Hey I was really hungry at the time.

jwslam
04-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Hey I was really hungry at the time.
Because you couldn't catch any voles to eat?! :nut:

colinxx235
04-24-2017, 10:09 AM
Interesting comment about dogs. Mine pees all over the backyard and they still damaged it.

Do voles move as fast as mice? I heard they're slower.

I've never come across mice in person, but the Voles are pretty damn quick through the grass. Not to mention a bit tough to see at times.

Last year a few of them kept making holes at the property line next to my neighbors stones and if I came in the area would always run out and under my front step. Managed to kick two of them throughout the entire summer. Then after they would run onto the otherside of the fence til I left. At which point I started moving a trap right into the path they would come back. Got both of them :rofl:

I picked up 2 packs of those sulphur bombs, will use pretty soon once it warms up and I can rake/fill the holes on a weekend.

foos_guy
04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by botox
^^ Interesting, just bought 2 sets and will give it a try. I haven't seen any this year so far but there were lots of tracks in the grass when the snow melted.

I got a vole problem as well. Did you get these locally or online? Would prefer solar powered, but not a must...

Boat
04-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Up to 4 total now. It's been quiet for the last couple of days. They must be mounting an counter offensive

craigcd
04-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Boat
Up to 4 total now. It's been quiet for the last couple of days. They must be mounting an counter offensive

I felt the same, round 2 now though. Changed to apple and have another kill. Up to 12... bastards.

BokCh0y
04-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Still just the one from my neighbors that I killed.....waiting for more still.

botox
04-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by foos_guy

I got a vole problem as well. Did you get these locally or online? Would prefer solar powered, but not a must...
Not sure where or if they are available locally but I ordered them from amazon and they just arrived yesterday and yes they are solar powered. Had them in the house last night under some lights and they were all buzzing so seems to be working and will stick them in when the snow melts.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01JD91MVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TripleThreat
05-06-2017, 08:17 PM
They are digging holes underneath my fence. What is the best way to get rid of them? I put poison pellets but not sure how effective they are. Should I go with a mouse trap or gas bomb?

D'z Nutz
06-22-2017, 07:39 PM
I wonder if this works for voles

6SIlYiiCGLI

Warning for part two: I won't embed for those that don't have a stomach for that sort of thing :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNWJIkjOupg

JordanEG6
06-23-2017, 08:00 AM
UPDATE: Bought these about a month ago:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81ly78GRNpL._SL1000_.jpg

Amazon Purchase (https://www.amazon.ca/Repeller-Ultrasonic-Gopher-Rodent-Garden/dp/B0718WWMGS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498226293&sr=8-4&keywords=ultrasonic+rodent+repellent)

I thought they worked great until I found tracks yesterday afternoon. So disappointed. :banghead:
At this point, not sure what else works. I just set up regular traps with some peanut butter and blocked the hole they dug through. I hope they don't come back, because my lawn is almost restored from the damage they did over the winter.

bigbadboss101
06-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Keep trapping I guess. I haven't seen any but when I was out of country my friend who did the lawn said he say mice. Will look around this weekend. I only have two traps. Might have to get a half a dozen. I do have a small dog so I don't want to use anything toxic. And even with traps I have to be careful so my dog don't go for the PB. Good luck all!

88CRX
06-23-2017, 01:15 PM
You never have just one!

I keep traps and poison stations out ALL THE TIME. Haven't caught one in a couple months but I know as soon I put the traps away they'll come back. Its like they come in waves, dont stop your attack haha

colsankey
06-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Are the poison traps stationary or can they take the pellets? We brought in a pest control compant and they dropped pellets in 5 or 6 locations and said the voles will take it back to their nest and poison all the babies/other voles.

Havnt seen any further grass damage since they were here 2 months ago. But just curious what poison people are using.

BokCh0y
06-23-2017, 08:38 PM
I haven't seen any since the one day I caught the fat one that I posted, but I left the traps out and have managed to catch 5 mice so far. Regardless, the traps are there to stay.

craigcd
06-28-2017, 03:53 PM
All my Voles are gone, traps have been empty for ages now. The lawn has recovered also, the battle will resume next spring.

Pacman
06-29-2017, 12:45 PM
I gassed mine on the weekend and filled up 15 holes with dirt that were running along my front porch. Checked today and a couple of holes have been dug out. Last night, I made the "rolling log bucket" vole trap. I'll put it out tonight and see if I catch any. I'll probably gas them again this weekend.

jwslam
06-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Looked into my back yard a few days ago and wondered wtf happened, but didn't think too much of it.

Today I learned I have voles too :banghead: :banghead:
I haven't done anything since I found out I had voles... there are no tracks nor holes in sight now, grass is growing green in that area. What gives?

BokCh0y
06-29-2017, 06:21 PM
I gassed mine on the weekend and filled up 15 holes with dirt that were running along my front porch. Checked today and a couple of holes have been dug out. Last night, I made the "rolling log bucket" vole trap. I'll put it out tonight and see if I catch any. I'll probably gas them again this weekend.

J, lmk how the gassing goes haha. I didn't do that to mine since the hole I found was actually at my neighbors house and not mine, I just used traps instead. Only caught one but haven't seen any new holes or destruction since.

ReAlly curious how well the gassing works.

Thanks!!!

Pacman
06-30-2017, 08:56 AM
J, lmk how the gassing goes haha. I didn't do that to mine since the hole I found was actually at my neighbors house and not mine, I just used traps instead. Only caught one but haven't seen any new holes or destruction since.

ReAlly curious how well the gassing works.

Thanks!!!

I think it worked well. Before, I had 14 or 15 active holes that I would fill up with dirt and they would all be dug back out over 2-3 days. After the first gassing, only a couple of the holes are back. I'll do round 2 of the gas this weekend and set up traps to catch any stragglers.

craigcd
06-30-2017, 07:50 PM
I haven't done anything since I found out I had voles... there are no tracks nor holes in sight now, grass is growing green in that area. What gives?

I have heard they often move on in the spring- I am sure they will be back in the winter!

bigbadboss101
04-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Voles. It's almost time to look for these guys or do preventative actions so these guys don't come around. Today we found a gopher hole by our front steps. Might have to smoke these guys out. Also need to keep the wasps from setting up camp.

Thaco
04-15-2018, 07:09 PM
they will definitely be back this year, stronger than ever, they LOVE soggy/wet conditions.

speedog
04-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Time to attract some bobcats to your area.

botox
04-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Thought I had gotten rid of them last year and now I see tracks everywhere after the snow is melting away. Time to stock up on mouse traps and I'll probably try that rolling barrel into water thing too.

colinxx235
04-16-2018, 09:37 AM
yah my front yard already looks like a cluster fuck of destruction... I tried so hard to get rid of them last year but unless you get every single one they just keep coming back. Used a lot of smoke bombs too

bigbadboss101
04-16-2018, 09:45 AM
I don't remember such issues until the past 3-4 years. That and wasps. Let see how everyone is doing in that regard, pest control. Gophers by our friend steps will need to be addressed. We see lot of rabbits but they are different. Leave em alone.

ExtraSlow
04-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Wasps were crazy last year, and I am now a 100% beliver in the disposable bag traps. They are 20x better than any homebrew solution.

Lex350
04-16-2018, 10:04 AM
As far as I know you can't buy them in the city as I believe there is some bylaw that prohibits their use within the city. We bought some at the strathmore UFA. The ones we used are called "the giant killer". Worked great for gophers.

Was going to say get a dog in there OP but sounds like you have one. Ours dug up and killed the voles in our yard shortly after we moved in.

That's exactly how we got ride of them. The dog evicted them.

Waldi
04-16-2018, 11:33 AM
I learned last couple fo year that we have "pocket-gophers". they build mounds but the hole is not in the center but on one side of the mound. They kind of look like moles. You need to have specialized traps, I spotted these in Princess Auto this weekend, they should work for gophers as well.

schocker
04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
My backyard has the worst vole damage I have had yet. Can't wait to see what awaits in the front when it melts in June.

88CRX
04-16-2018, 01:25 PM
If you get them you'll have them for ever.... run traps + poison all year round if possible.

schurchill39
04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Between the traps and my dog I've been vole and mouse free for two years now. Hopefully I can continue this streak this year. I just set the traps up where she can't get to like under my bbq or behind my AC and she takes care of the rest. Shiba's are ass holes but they are also great hunters