PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting a garburator

ExtraSlow
04-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Garburator is making a hell of a noise these days, it SOUNDS like something is stuck in it, but I've flushed it out pretty well, and even turned off the breaker and reached down in there, can't feel anything. The little blade things spin freely, like they always have.

Have run through some orange peels, which is the only thing I know that cleans it, and it made no difference.

So, how do i figure out what's going on? It's an IN-SINK-ERATOR model 444-6 if that matters. I could buy a new one for $250, so it's probably not worth any kind of service call.

Suggestions?

Asian_defender
04-11-2017, 08:06 AM
If something is stuck then your most likely SOL.
Check the housing to see if anythings cracked. Happened to my garburator. There is not much you can do if that is the case.

dirtsniffer
04-11-2017, 08:12 AM
mine developed a small leak, decided it was easier to replace vs troubleshoot. mind you i could see the leak and figured parts would not be available.

ExtraSlow
04-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Mine is not leaking, and the blades spin freely like they always have. Just sounds hellacious. maybe run some apples or something through it today and see if that helps. Otherwise, just replace.
Although, I don't really like garburators, maybe just remove and put in pipe in it's place. Wasn't there a thread on that topic?

revelations
04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Check the play on the spinner - does it bump from side to side? Also check the blades are tight and not flopping around.

How old is the unit? Could probably find one on Kijiij.

phreezee
04-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Super easy to remove and take a part for inspection. When I had to do it, there was a bone fragment jammed.

ExtraSlow
04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Unit is nine years old.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Well, managed to nurse the unit along for a while, but I think it's toast.
Kids dropped something (they say it was "a bead") in there. Didn't tell me until it was making a massive sound, and then was silent. It tripped its overload switch. I fished around in there, the blades spin freely, and I can't feel any solid particles (just the handful of rice that got rinsed down).

Reset the overload, and it just makes a quiet whirring sound, doesn't spin the blades.

Honestly don't even want a garburator. Going to decide today if it's worth putting another one in, or just replace with straight pipe.

speedog
05-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Green bins are coming, save your $250 for the extra monthly fee plus the compostable bags you'll have to purchase.

mr2mike
05-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Green bins are coming, save your $250 for the extra monthly fee plus the compostable bags you'll have to purchase.

Beat me to that statement.

realazy
05-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Try the hex key thing that you can use to turn the garberator manually on the bottom. After a few tries the lodged object in ours moved and I was was able to reach it with my hand from the top.

Tik-Tok
05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
I've got a slightly used in-sink-erator laying around that might be a straight swap. It was only two years old, but I never re-installed during our kitchen reno.