PDA

View Full Version : Adventures With Mar - Calgary Cops Are Jerks

Mar
04-11-2017, 12:30 AM
I really don't understand why, I've lived all over North America and I've never seen it as bad as here. I've lived in Manhattan, Atlanta, east coast, west coast, cops here are worse than anywhere else I've ever been. I have to share this story for just how ridiculous it is.

June of 2016 I was heading to see a client at 7:30am and thought I'd stop at Sunridge Starbucks since it was on the way. As I was pulling in on the far side of the lot, I could see police lights flashing by Starbucks and thought that was pretty odd. Just as I get close enough to see, the lights turn off and I see 2 cops just stopped in the middle of the parking lot roadway, partially in a space but mostly on the road. There are zero other cars around so I could take the first or second spot but don't want to park directly behind / in front of the cars so I move one over to not be such a jerk. I am so afraid of cops here that I don't even look in their direction, I get out, look at the ground, turn around and walk away. I hop up onto a concrete divider, then down the other side onto a crosswalk to get across to the Starbucks. As I step into the crosswalk I notice the 2 cops are coming around to cross the crosswalk I just stepped into. I again don't even look their way, just look straight ahead and walk across the crosswalk.

I think I walk normally but people tell me I walk a little strangely, I don't even notice it if I do. It's likely due to the fact that I exploded my ankle and broke my leg in 3 places a few years prior and my leg is held together by a drawer full of metal and screws. I have a total of 10 degrees of flexion in my ankle. Anyway, I thought I was walking normally but if I wasn't, that's why.

So in this diagram I pulled up and parked near the cops. They had just turned off their flashing lights as I was pulling up.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/1.jpg

Then I walked through the concrete divider which they drove around behind me, to come around and cross through the crosswalk to leave.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/2.jpg

To pick up where I left off in the story, the 2 cop trucks (depicted by cars in these diagrams) sat there waiting while I crossed at a regular pace. I have no desire to give cops a reason to beat me. At this point I still haven't looked their way and I hear, "HEY, TAKE YOUR TIME!" I couldn't quite tell what it was that was said at first but I knew someone was shouting something towards me so I looked behind me and nobody was there, so I thought maybe it was one of the cops that said something.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/3.jpg

I still didn't quite know what was said so I stepped back 2 steps so I could see into the second truck's window and said, "What?" The cop sticks his head out and yells, "MOVE, DUDE!" At this point I realized what it was that he said at first and I was just frozen in shock, like I was in disbelief that a police officer had just yelled at me because I wasn't crossing a crosswalk in a manner to his liking. Is this real life?

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/4.jpg

After about 2-3 seconds of just staring in disbelief, I figure I'm going to get beat down so I just turn and start walking to get out of there. As I do that, the cop behind that was yelling at me flips on his lights and just floors it around the cop truck between us. Immediately I think, "Oh here we go, he's going to ask me for my identification and hold me up for 20 minutes." So at this point his lights are flashing, I couldn't show that in this diagram.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/5.jpg

I figure he's going to ask me for my identification and search me so I just stop and wait for them both to get out and ask me. To my surprise he doesn't stop at all, he stops just short of me and then uses the push bar on the front of his truck to physically push me out of the crosswalk. I had to put my hand up on the bar to stop it from hitting me and then push myself off to the side so I didn't get run over.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/6.jpg

After I'm out of the way, the cop with the lights on roars off as fast as the truck will go and then the other cop that wasn't involved in any of this takes off right behind him. Aren't cops supposed to stop when there's a pedestrian struck in a crosswalk? He just left.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/7.jpg

I was shocked. Then as I look across the road there was a girl coming across the crosswalk so I ask her if she saw that and she said yes, those cops were jerks. So I got her contact information figuring it would be great to have that witness to back everything up.

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/8.jpg

I got the numbers from the sides of the vehicles and called in a complaint to the police department and what happened? I got a call a little while later saying they would look into it. Then I got regular calls and letters to remind me they were still going through some procedures and reviewing the evidence. Finally earlier this year I get a call from the officer reviewing the case and they tell me I should just drop if because if it goes to a formal investigation I would likely lose and nothing would happen. WTF? Is this good advice? Just convince the person to forget about it? I stuck with it and told them I would do whatever it took to restore my faith in the justice system that the proper outcome would be achieved.

So what happened? Did the cop go to jail for a hit and run? He at least went to court right? Now for sure he must have gotten a ticket for breaking the traffic laws and leaving the scene. No............NOTHING HAPPENED. I got a letter in the mail stating they reviewed what I said, they spoke with the witness and they reviewed the dash camera which showed the whole event, the officer did nothing wrong and they decided there was no problem with his conduct. This is just a normal day for a police officer and how they're allowed to act.

I called the officer reviewing the file and asked how this could possibly happen and they asked me what I would have liked to see happen. I told him I wanted to see exactly the same thing as if I had yelled at a cop in a crosswalk and then pushed him out of the way with my car and drove away. I can guarantee you they wouldn't think about that for 7 months, they would hunt my ass down and hit me with enough fines and jail time that I'd never be driving again. That's insane the 2 outcomes can be so different, it upsets me just to think about it.

Let me quote some of my favourite parts from the letter I received and comment on them.

Constable A said while he and Constable B were parked discussing the call they had just dealt with,
you parked your vehicle directly in front of his police vehicle effectively blocking him. He said there were hundreds of other parking stalls for you to choose from.

Okay, I'm obviously going to choose the stall closer to the door if every single one of them are empty. I even moved over 1 or 2 so that I wasn't right in the way of a vehicle that was parked right IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING ROAD. Jesus, you don't get to park on the road and then complain about someone that actually used a stall. I could have pulled through to the stall in front of mine and been nose to nose with his truck, I didn't want that.

Constable B said he and Constable A were parked door to door to their respective police vehicles after clearing a call at Sunridge Mall. Constable B said you parked directly in front of Constable A's vehicle when there were many other stalls you could have chosen. Constable B believed you had either done so to have conversation with the officers or to be rude and intentionally cause inconvenience for Constable B

Really? There was plenty of room to move around me, or you could have easily backed up, there was a whole stall behind you. That's ridiculous, if I want to get harassed by the cops I'll walk around downtown for 5 minutes.

ICDV footage showed that Constable A activated his overhead emergency lights and steered his vehicle around your parked car as he was unable to pull straight forward.

Bullshit, he didn't turn on the lights until after he yelled at me. Also, it clearly states here that he was able to easily pull around my car. So he had to turn his wheel? Whoopty fuck, at least I left him enough room like a decent human.

Constable A stopped before turning left and commented in a calm, quiet voice, "Take your time", "move bud" and "go quickly" before making a wide left turn to approach the crosswalk. At that point he said, "Move Go,
go, go, go, go."

Even the way this is worded sickens me. A calm and quiet voice? I was there, he was not calm, can you even imagine someone saying those words calm and quietly? It wouldn't even make sense. It's like they know they can't outright lie but they can word it a certain way to make it seem a little better in their favour.

You remained in the crosswalk. You slowed, faced the police truck and then continued to cross slowly in front of it.

Yes, that's what you do when someone says something to you and you ask them to repeat it. Do you just ignore them and walk away? That's rude.

Constable A denied your allegation and stated he was unaware of making any contact with you.

Oh, well then, case closed. He said he didn't do it, better shut this one down. I know cops have never lied about any criminal offences before, especially in Calgary.

There is insufficient evidence to prove officer misconduct. The matter is therefore "Dismissed" pursuant to section xxxxx of the Police Service Regulation.

Please be advised that pursuant to section xxx of the Police Act, any decision concerning the allegation is final.
i.e. there is no avenue to appeal.

Wow, so they're effectively telling me not to even bother trying again, their word is final and there's nothing I can do about it. They answer to no one.

spikerS
04-11-2017, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I really don't understand why, I've lived all over North America and I've never seen it as bad as here. I've lived in Manhattan, Atlanta, east coast, west coast, cops here are worse than anywhere else I've ever been. I have to share this story for just how ridiculous it is.

June of 2016 I was heading to see a client at 7:30am and thought I'd stop at Sunridge Starbucks since it was on the way. As I was pulling in on the far side of the lot, I could see police lights flashing by Starbucks and thought that was pretty odd. Just as I get close enough to see, the lights turn off and I see 2 cops just stopped in the middle of the parking lot roadway, partially in a space but mostly on the road. There are zero other cars around so I could take the first or second spot but don't want to park directly behind / in front of the cars so I move one over to not be such a jerk. I am so afraid of cops here that I don't even look in their direction, I get out, look at the ground, turn around and walk away. I hop up onto a concrete divider, then down the other side onto a crosswalk to get across to the Starbucks. As I step into the crosswalk I notice the 2 cops are coming around to cross the crosswalk I just stepped into. I again don't even look their way, just look straight ahead and walk across the crosswalk.

I think I walk normally but people tell me I walk a little strangely, I don't even notice it if I do. It's likely due to the fact that I exploded my ankle and broke my leg in 3 places a few years prior and my leg is held together by a drawer full of metal and screws. I have a total of 10 degrees of flexion in my ankle. Anyway, I thought I was walking normally but if I wasn't, that's why.

So in this diagram I pulled up and parked near the cops. They had just turned off their flashing lights as I was pulling up.

Then I walked through the concrete divider which they drove around behind me, to come around and cross through the crosswalk to leave.

To pick up where I left off in the story, the 2 cop trucks (depicted by cars in these diagrams) sat there waiting while I crossed at a regular pace. I have no desire to give cops a reason to beat me. At this point I still haven't looked their way and I hear, "HEY, TAKE YOUR TIME!" I couldn't quite tell what it was that was said at first but I knew someone was shouting something towards me so I looked behind me and nobody was there, so I thought maybe it was one of the cops that said something.

I still didn't quite know what was said so I stepped back 2 steps so I could see into the second truck's window and said, "What?" The cop sticks his head out and yells, "MOVE, DUDE!" At this point I realized what it was that he said at first and I was just frozen in shock, like I was in disbelief that a police officer had just yelled at me because I wasn't crossing a crosswalk in a manner to his liking. Is this real life?

After about 2-3 seconds of just staring in disbelief, I figure I'm going to get beat down so I just turn and start walking to get out of there. As I do that, the cop behind that was yelling at me flips on his lights and just floors it around the cop truck between us. Immediately I think, "Oh here we go, he's going to ask me for my identification and hold me up for 20 minutes." So at this point his lights are flashing, I couldn't show that in this diagram.

I figure he's going to ask me for my identification and search me so I just stop and wait for them both to get out and ask me. To my surprise he doesn't stop at all, he stops just short of me and then uses the push bar on the front of his truck to physically push me out of the crosswalk. I had to put my hand up on the bar to stop it from hitting me and then push myself off to the side so I didn't get run over.

After I'm out of the way, the cop with the lights on roars off as fast as the truck will go and then the other cop that wasn't involved in any of this takes off right behind him. Aren't cops supposed to stop when there's a pedestrian struck in a crosswalk? He just left.

I was shocked. Then as I look across the road there was a girl coming across the crosswalk so I ask her if she saw that and she said yes, those cops were jerks. So I got her contact information figuring it would be great to have that witness to back everything up.

I got the numbers from the sides of the vehicles and called in a complaint to the police department and what happened? I got a call a little while later saying they would look into it. Then I got regular calls and letters to remind me they were still going through some procedures and reviewing the evidence. Finally earlier this year I get a call from the officer reviewing the case and they tell me I should just drop if because if it goes to a formal investigation I would likely lose and nothing would happen. WTF? Is this good advice? Just convince the person to forget about it? I stuck with it and told them I would do whatever it took to restore my faith in the justice system that the proper outcome would be achieved.

So what happened? Did the cop go to jail for a hit and run? He at least went to court right? Now for sure he must have gotten a ticket for breaking the traffic laws and leaving the scene. No............NOTHING HAPPENED. I got a letter in the mail stating they reviewed what I said, they spoke with the witness and they reviewed the dash camera which showed the whole event, the officer did nothing wrong and they decided there was no problem with his conduct. This is just a normal day for a police officer and how they're allowed to act.

I called the officer reviewing the file and asked how this could possibly happen and they asked me what I would have liked to see happen. I told him I wanted to see exactly the same thing as if I had yelled at a cop in a crosswalk and then pushed him out of the way with my car and drove away. I can guarantee you they wouldn't think about that for 7 months, they would hunt my ass down and hit me with enough fines and jail time that I'd never be driving again. That's insane the 2 outcomes can be so different, it upsets me just to think about it.

Let me quote some of my favourite parts from the letter I received and comment on them.

Okay, I'm obviously going to choose the stall closer to the door if every single one of them are empty. I even moved over 1 or 2 so that I wasn't right in the way of a vehicle that was parked right IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING ROAD. Jesus, you don't get to park on the road and then complain about someone that actually used a stall. I could have pulled through to the stall in front of mine and been nose to nose with his truck, I didn't want that.

Really? There was plenty of room to move around me, or you could have easily backed up, there was a whole stall behind you. That's ridiculous, if I want to get harassed by the cops I'll walk around downtown for 5 minutes.

Bullshit, he didn't turn on the lights until after he yelled at me. Also, it clearly states here that he was able to easily pull around my car. So he had to turn his wheel? Whoopty fuck, at least I left him enough room like a decent human.

Even the way this is worded sickens me. A calm and quiet voice? I was there, he was not calm, can you even imagine someone saying those words calm and quietly? It wouldn't even make sense. It's like they know they can't outright lie but they can word it a certain way to make it seem a little better in their favour.

Yes, that's what you do when someone says something to you and you ask them to repeat it. Do you just ignore them and walk away? That's rude.

Oh, well then, case closed. He said he didn't do it, better shut this one down. I know cops have never lied about any criminal offences before, especially in Calgary.

Wow, so they're effectively telling me not to even bother trying again, their word is final and there's nothing I can do about it. They answer to no one.

Sorry, i don't have time to read this now, but going to quote it for the lulz later when you edit it.

gwill
04-11-2017, 12:56 AM
you can request all the evidence they said they reviewed to come to their conclusions on things. Perhaps the dash cam footage verifies the officers stories or perhaps it doesnt. Either way thats your next step if your wanting answers.

Ask for everything they reviewed and go from there. You have every right to appeal their findings and to see the evidence they uncovered.

dj_rice
04-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

Sorry, i don't have time to read this now, but going to quote it for the lulz later when you edit it.

Thanks man. My thoughts exactly.

Thaco
04-11-2017, 06:33 AM
thats nuts, i think your only option is to lawyer up if you really feel that strong about it.

ZenOps
04-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Looking for immortality on the internet huh. Could happen, people love epic rants.

Yeah the cops have gone a little crazy of late, not to sure what it is. I mean its not like other cities where they are fighting for their pension cheques.

bourge73
04-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Sounds like the Cops were playing a fun game from "Super Troopers"
Ok Meow? Classic

Type_S1
04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Request for a copy of all evidence reviewed including the dash cam footage. If your description of events is true the dash cam should show the officer bumping you with his car which is illegal. Once you get this go directly to CBC with your story as they love this kind of stuff and will ensure its publicized and the CPS answer for it if there was officer misconduct. Also, post the cam footage on beyond for LOLs

Seth1968
04-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Lucky they didn't shoot you.

G-ZUS
04-11-2017, 07:55 AM
#NoLoveForMar

born2workoncars
04-11-2017, 08:03 AM
New attitudes to match the new paint schemes?

Shlade
04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by born2workoncars
New attitudes to match the new paint schemes?

Please....

Hallowed_point
04-11-2017, 08:31 AM
I had a cop try and give me a ticket for jaywalking as the walk signal was still active. It looked like the veins were going to burst out of his head. Some cops just can't handle the stress that comes with dealing with the public.

Or maybe CPS hates velosters?

sabad66
04-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Request for a copy of all evidence reviewed including the dash cam footage. If your description of events is true the dash cam should show the officer bumping you with his car which is illegal. Once you get this go directly to CBC with your story as they love this kind of stuff and will ensure its publicized and the CPS answer for it if there was officer misconduct. Also, post the cam footage on beyond for LOLs
This

If they actually bumped you that's pretty fucked up. Dashcam footage should show this

FraserB
04-11-2017, 08:51 AM
Why didn't you go to the news if this happened as you claim? Especially since your claim has now grown to include a cover up and false statements being provided to an investigator.

They would run with a story about a cop deliberately driving on the wrong side of the road to strike a pedestrian who had done nothing, especially since you apparently have an eyewitness. They also might have looked into getting the video from all the businesses around there.

In reality, we won't see anything come from this thread at all. Just another Mar-ism.

blairtruck
04-11-2017, 09:04 AM
9 months later.

Mar
04-11-2017, 09:07 AM
I wanted to wait for justice to prevail but I just received the letter notifying me it won't.

suntan
04-11-2017, 09:12 AM
The words are English yet it makes no sense.

G-ZUS
04-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
In reality, we won't see anything come from this thread at all. Just another Mar-ism.

Originally posted by suntan

:werd:

FraserB
04-11-2017, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mar
I wanted to wait for justice to prevail but I just received the letter notifying me it won't.

Bullshit.

No one who is deliberately hit and run by a marked police car in a cross walk and has an eyewitness and video sits on it for this long.

revelations
04-11-2017, 09:38 AM
^ yea thats something that would have gone viral locally. The CPS are taking a beating in the eyes of the MSM and the media would love another story that further perpetuates that (and makes them more money).

Can a member of the public can even ask for CPS footage without a subpoena/trial ?

LUDELVR
04-11-2017, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

This

If they actually bumped you that's pretty fucked up. Dashcam footage should show this

How long are they required to keep the footage on file?

I would not be surprised if all of a sudden the footage went "missing" or have I just watched too much tv?

revelations
04-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Without a lawyer or a public backlash - you really expected something to happen? Most LEO organizations in Canada go to great lengths to protect their own.

riander5
04-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Just get out of the crosswalk Mar you clown

D'z Nutz
04-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Remember everyone: with all things Mar there's what happened and then there's Mar's understanding of what happened.

The_Penguin
04-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by suntan

Welcome to a Mar thread. :)

Dumbass17
04-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO REPOST THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST??! WE ALL KNOW YOU'RE REPLYING TO THE OP

WHY THO:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

D'z Nutz
04-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO REPOST THE ENTIRE ORIGINAL POST??! WE ALL KNOW YOU'RE REPLYING TO THE OP

WHY THO:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Your username really suits you, doesn't it?

Gestalt
04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
You expected different from police that are not held to their responsibility?

With police, they have created a higher form of human, a better class then the rest of us.

Seth1968
04-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Gestalt

With police, they have created a higher form of human, a better class then the rest of us.

There's hope for you yet young whippersnapper.

mazdavirgin
04-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Gestalt

Originally posted by Seth1968

There's hope for you yet young whippersnapper.

Two peas in a pod of crazy.

You guys should go hold hands together with Mar in front of the CPS offices. You could have a sit in and sing kumbaya to protest this blatant injustice!

:nut:

01RedDX
04-11-2017, 11:18 AM

Seth1968
04-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Two peas in a pod of crazy.

You guys should go hold hands together with Mar in front of the CPS offices. You could have a sit in and sing kumbaya to protest this blatant injustice!

:nut:

Except, I never stated any position in Mar's case. No surprise though. I'm getting used to being flamed for things I didn't say.

My only position was stating that people in authority tend to have a superiority complex, and there is little to no accountability (although that seems to be getting better).

Disoblige
04-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Remember everyone: with all things Mar there's what happened and then there's Mar's understanding of what happened.
THIS.

This is Mar we are talking about. All this thread shows is that another group (this time, CPS) got the luxury of dealing with this special man.

Feruk
04-11-2017, 12:56 PM
I have a hard time believing this story... Get the video and post it, or else I see nothing to debate here.

Kloubek
04-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Assuming the story is accurate, this is a whole pile of bullshit.

But chances are, the story is a whole pile of bullshit.

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

THIS.

This is Mar we are talking about. All this thread shows is that another group (this time, CPS) got the luxury of dealing with this special man.

I feel like someone needs to point me to more Mar threads to read, to understand.

phil98z24
04-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Well there you have it. The video and audio recording doesn't match his recollection of events, therefore the video and audio are wrong. Video and audio paint the picture in murder trials, but aren't right when it comes to your alleged encounter with the police? I find that.. interesting. Part of the reason we have cameras is this very thing.

Just to clarify: our cameras activate every time we use our emergency equipment, and the video file, image overlay, and metadata all reflect this. We can't alter it. No one can alter it. We can't stop it from happening. So when you're being told the video is running because his lights were on and it shows it, that's because it happened. If they heard audio of them speaking in a calm and professional manners, it's because that's what's happening. The video is disclosable and no one will stake their career on lying about what they saw or heard on a video file that can potentially be viewed by anyone.

Second: You weren't the victim of a hit and run. By your own admission you reached out to the light bar to 'stop' from being struck or pushed from the crosswalk, and you made contact with the vehicle, not the other way around. That isn't an offence.

You seem pretty ticked that the video doesn't show you being struck, and doesn't match your recollection of events. Sadly, the video and audio record don't lie. It's substantial proof of what happened, start to finish. You say you are there, but so were they and so was the impartial witness that captured their voices, their demeanour, and the video of what you and they were doing. Unfortunately for you it appears the evidence refutes your claim and therefore the complaint is dismissed because there was no finding of wrongdoing. You are being told to let it go because it's likely not worth your time and effort to pursue this and have it ultimately end up being dismissed again.

If you think this is some coverup scheme, let me assure you our PSS will charge members for any reason, and especially if there was a hit and run involved (or of it was deliberate, that's assault with a weapon), as that would be incredibly serious. They err on the side of caution even if the evidence is light because if it favours one side and supports an allegation, they must lawfully proceed with the complaint.

Based on your account of things, you already had it in your head that something was going to happen to you. You think the CPS beat people down, stop and search them, or otherwise cause confrontation over parking lot encounters. You already have a preconceived notion of how that encounter could go and how you won't give them a reason to hassle you, yet somehow you managed to get exactly that! What I'm seeing is you screwed around in an intersection, which btw, is an offence and not just someone getting mad. You have to clear it in a reasonable manner, otherwise you're blocking the road. You didn't, and were told to get moving.

J-hop
04-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Assuming the story is accurate, this is a whole pile of bullshit.

But chances are, the story is a whole pile of bullshit.

Yea I don't know mar, your description of what happened is a bit wonky. Even if the events are true the bizzare details in the story make the whole thing seem like an alternate view of reality. Something tells me there is a bit more to the story.

Also don't know why you claim they lied about putting on the lights when you even stated you were too afraid to look at them???

Either way I do feel bad that you are afraid of getting beat up in a Starbucks parking lot by cops in broad daylight. That is a horrible way to have to live day to day....

Hope you are able to sort this out...

btimbit
04-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yup. Completely different thread once people realize who's thread it is

The_Rural_Juror
04-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Continuity errors.

If you went to the Sunridge Starbucks by Chapters, then down is East, why would the cops pull a u turn when the easy exit is straight through South?

Subject title suggests that are adventures to come. More please!

Originally posted by Mar

btimbit
04-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Have to say though, I get a kick out of the visual aid and how much work must have gone into this thread

Feruk
04-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24
You seem pretty ticked that the video doesn't show you being struck, and doesn't match your recollection of events. Sadly, the video and audio record don't lie.
I didn't get the impression that he's even seen the video.

Based on your account of things, you already had it in your head that something was going to happen to you.
100% agreed. I've lived in Calgary 20 years and had a decent amount of interaction with cops. Never once did I think a cop was gonna "beat me down" or go out of my way to avoid cops. Quite the opposite.

Nismorphed
04-11-2017, 07:54 PM
The police should have beat you for being Mar

Mar
04-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Continuity errors.

If you went to the Sunridge Starbucks by Chapters, then down is East, why would the cops pull a u turn when the easy exit is straight through South?

Subject title suggests that are adventures to come. More please!

I was actually surprised they did go that way, there was an exit around the concrete below their vehicles and also below my vehicles. They made a point to drive through the parking spaces, then come around and drive through the crosswalk I was headed towards. I initially thought they did it on purpose but I didn't want to think that.

Originally posted by Feruk

100% agreed. I've lived in Calgary 20 years and had a decent amount of interaction with cops. Never once did I think a cop was gonna "beat me down" or go out of my way to avoid cops. Quite the opposite.

I haven't seen it, it wasn't provided to me.
I've seen cops do some stupid things.

16hypen3sp
04-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Hey Mar, is that an online program that you used to create those diagrams?

gwill
04-11-2017, 10:50 PM

If you think this is some coverup scheme, let me assure you our PSS will charge members for any reason, and especially if there was a hit and run involved (or of it was deliberate, that's assault with a weapon), as that would be incredibly serious. They err on the side of caution even if the evidence is light because if it favours one side and supports an allegation, they must lawfully proceed with the complaint.

You realize ASIRT recently commented on many issues with CPS investigating themselves? They are actively providing officers everything from the complaint before the officers have provided their statements.

In other words the police force is helping their officers cover up their mistakes. They are actively ruining the investigative process for no other reason then to protect their members. Why taint the investigation before it even begins?

I suppose you'll say ASIRT has their findings all wrong?

Mar
04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Hey Mar, is that an online program that you used to create those diagrams?

http://accidentsketch.com/

revelations
04-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Originally posted by Mar

I haven't seen it, it wasn't provided to me.
I've seen cops do some stupid things.

Phil, the complainant was never shown the video - a (PSS?) investigation team member just commented/opined on what they saw and then relayed it to the com.

phil98z24
04-12-2017, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by gwill

You realize ASIRT recently commented on many issues with CPS investigating themselves? They are actively providing officers everything from the complaint before the officers have provided their statements.

In other words the police force is helping their officers cover up their mistakes. They are actively ruining the investigative process for no other reason then to protect their members. Why taint the investigation before it even begins?

I suppose you'll say ASIRT has their findings all wrong?

She said there are problems with the investigative process, that's it. You are the one drawing conclusions from it.

I can assure you that on this side of things, they can and will charge us for anything and everything if it's warranted. In fact, if you'll set aside your bias for awhile you'll see a number of members have been charged by PSS and anti-corruption for various things, so in spite of their valiant efforts to protect the members, they are still charging them. Or is that just to look good every one in a while to placate the public?

phil98z24
04-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Phil, the complainant was never shown the video - a (PSS?) investigation team member just commented/opined on what they saw and then relayed it to the com.

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is he isn't happy about what he is being told that it doesn't show what he wants it to, or simply doesn't believe his recollection doesn't match what's there.

Hallowed_point
04-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
Have to say though, I get a kick out of the visual aid and how much work must have gone into this thread :clap:

revelations
04-12-2017, 08:44 AM

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is he isn't happy about what he is being told that it doesn't show what he wants it to, or simply doesn't believe his recollection doesn't match what's there.

My impression was that the OP was unhappy with the members' opinion of the video.

Can a complainant request disclosure of the dash cam video without a formal court proceeding pending? (ie. he hasnt laywered up yet)

phil98z24
04-12-2017, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by revelations

My impression was that the OP was unhappy with the members' opinion of the video.

Can a complainant request disclosure of the dash cam video without a formal court proceeding pending? (ie. he hasnt laywered up yet)

That's my sentiment as well, maybe I've not worded it properly. He doesn't like what he is being told.

I don't know what happens with that stuff, so I can't comment. I know it can eventually be accessed but I'm just not sure when and how. :dunno:

speedog
04-12-2017, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Mar

http://accidentsketch.com/

What, no pickups? Useless for Alberta then.

chkolny541
04-12-2017, 10:20 AM

She said there are problems with the investigative process, that's it. You are the one drawing conclusions from it.

I can assure you that on this side of things, they can and will charge us for anything and everything if it's warranted. In fact, if you'll set aside your bias for awhile you'll see a number of members have been charged by PSS and anti-corruption for various things, so in spite of their valiant efforts to protect the members, they are still charging them. Or is that just to look good every one in a while to placate the public?

https://img.memesuper.com/6386889e26cd740c43338154b70920cf_we-investigated-ourselves-memescom-we-investigated-ourselves-meme_620-407.jpeg

gwill
04-12-2017, 10:33 AM

From the cbc article;

Asirt mentioned there are concerns with calgary police protecting officers who are under criminal investigation with "murky" and "unprincipled" practices.

CPS accepting proffered statements - given on the condition it wont be held against the subject of an investigation - from officers who are under criminal investigation

and

CPS disclosing evidence gathered against the subject officer to his or her lawyer while the investigation is still underway and before the crown has decided to recommend charges.

This isn't just ASIRT having some random issue with the investigations.

As a police officer when your investigating someone for a crime do you willingly disclose all of your evidence to them before you've laid any charges? Why would the police intentionally release this info to other police officers lawyers before charges are recommended? Why do police get this info before hand but anyone else who's not a cop gets treated differently?

CPS is on record for regularly releasing statements, evidence and everything related to the investigation to the CPS officer's lawyer well before any statements are provided to the investigators. By doing this are they not helping their officers cover up their mistakes or crimes?

Perhaps in Mars case there's no cover up but its rather hilarious you'd take that stand with him when there is a very real issue with how CPS investigates itself.

Epididymitis
04-12-2017, 11:19 AM
This is where my zuchini practice all pays off.
Cop gets testy with you, suck his dick. Do or dont, you get shot in both situations though.

OTown
04-12-2017, 12:41 PM

From the cbc article;

Asirt mentioned there are concerns with calgary police protecting officers who are under criminal investigation with "murky" and "unprincipled" practices.

CPS accepting proffered statements - given on the condition it wont be held against the subject of an investigation - from officers who are under criminal investigation

and

CPS disclosing evidence gathered against the subject officer to his or her lawyer while the investigation is still underway and before the crown has decided to recommend charges.

This isn't just ASIRT having some random issue with the investigations.

As a police officer when your investigating someone for a crime do you willingly disclose all of your evidence to them before you've laid any charges? Why would the police intentionally release this info to other police officers lawyers before charges are recommended? Why do police get this info before hand but anyone else who's not a cop gets treated differently?

CPS is on record for regularly releasing statements, evidence and everything related to the investigation to the CPS officer's lawyer well before any statements are provided to the investigators. By doing this are they not helping their officers cover up their mistakes or crimes?

Perhaps in Mars case there's no cover up but its rather hilarious you'd take that stand with him when there is a very real issue with how CPS investigates itself.

My understanding is that every single person (civilian or police) is told what charges they are facing before they are questioned and given a chance for a defense. Its set out in law and in the the charter of rights and freedoms. They also get full disclosure for court.

So why shouldn't Phil get those same rights should he be investigated?

Gart
04-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by speedog

What, no pickups? Useless for Alberta then.

ha. I laughed.

Hmm no minivan either. They do have 6 different types of cars though, not too shabby..

edit:
someone already mentioned it here, but I do appreciate the amount of effort the OP went into in his original post in generating the pictures. Especially when you compare it to some of the other "accident" style threads we've seen on here over the years. (Even the MS paint ones we see are awesome!)

Now 'just need some excel plots and maybe a flow chart or two and I'd be hooked.

JRSC00LUDE
04-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by OTown

My understanding is that every single person (civilian or police) is told what charges they are facing before they are questioned and given a chance for a defense. Its set out in law and in the the charter of rights and freedoms. They also get full disclosure for court.

I don't think you understood the allegations being made.

gwill
04-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by OTown

I dont think you understand the seriousness of it and no the police don't provide every piece of evidence to their suspects before charging them with a crime. Why would they? That makes no sense. Up until charges are laid there is no reason to. Doing so in advance will only ruin the investigation. A suspects rights are to get their disclosure before their trial.. not before they are charged.

Imagine a big murder investigation with the police having to piece the puzzle together. Do you think they'll run to their suspect and provide them every single piece of evidence they have on their suspect before charging them? Of course not.. Hey mr murderer here is all the evidence we have on you. Do you mind giving us a statement now that you've read it. We haven't charged you yet but we'd love to hear your unbiased thoughts as to what happened.

CPS is purposely tainting their own investigations to help the officers figure out what to say.

Heres the CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-asirt-officers-investigation-chaffin-hughson-1.4005029

Heres a quote from that article:

"Furthermore, I cannot imagine a more unprincipled practice that has the obvious potential outcome of tainting any statement the subject officer could provide and leaving it fraught with the possibility of tailoring to be consistent with the evidence of other witnesses."

phil98z24
04-12-2017, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I don't think you understood the allegations being made.

I don't think you understand what Otown is saying.

I dont think you understand the seriousness of it and no the police don't provide every piece of evidence to their suspects before charging them with a crime. Why would they? That makes no sense. Up until charges are laid there is no reason to. Doing so in advance will only ruin the investigation. A suspects rights are to get their disclosure before their trial.. not before they are charged.

Imagine a big murder investigation with the police having to piece the puzzle together. Do you think they'll run to their suspect and provide them every single piece of evidence they have on their suspect before charging them? Of course not.. Hey mr murderer here is all the evidence we have on you. Do you mind giving us a statement now that you've read it. We haven't charged you yet but we'd love to hear your unbiased thoughts as to what happened.

CPS is purposely tainting their own investigations to help the officers figure out what to say.

Heres the CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-police-asirt-officers-investigation-chaffin-hughson-1.4005029

Heres a quote from that article:

"Furthermore, I cannot imagine a more unprincipled practice that has the obvious potential outcome of tainting any statement the subject officer could provide and leaving it fraught with the possibility of tailoring to be consistent with the evidence of other witnesses."

You also don't understand what he is saying. Everyone has a right to know what charges they are facing before questioning. He didn't say anything about evidence.

I'll address the rest of your comments later. In the meantime, you should read the press release from ASIRT in its entirety so you have the complete picture, and also a statement from one of our superintendents about how our internal investigations don't accept preferred statements, which seems to run contrary to your belief they are throwing things to protect each other.

gwill
04-12-2017, 04:28 PM

You also don't understand what he is saying. Everyone has a right to know what charges they are facing before questioning. He didn't say anything about evidence.

I'll address the rest of your comments later. In the meantime, you should read the press release from ASIRT in its entirety so you have the complete picture, and also a statement from one of our superintendents about how our internal investigations don't accept preferred statements, which seems to run contrary to your belief they are throwing things to protect each other.

I agree everyone has a right to know the charges they facing before questioning. Thats pretty straight forward. Whats not is the practice in cps to provide every bit of evidence to a police officer before theyve provided any statements.

Is the article wrong on this? They quoted CPS as saying this is common practice.

JRSC00LUDE
04-12-2017, 04:34 PM

I do. And I agree with the information he shared.

I believed he was answering a question correctly, but not the question that gwill asked. I don't agree with a lot of gwill's take on police/policing, I just felt Otown overlooked the point that he (gwill) was insinuating.

Env-Consultant
04-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Can you not just submit a FOIP request to obtain the video? If there were charges, you could request disclosure from the crown prosecutor, but it doesn't sound like that is the case.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Public-services/Freedom-of-Information-and-Protection-of-Privacy-Act-request.aspx

To be honest, I just really want to see the video vs. the original post...

revelations
04-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Oh BTW Mar, the CPS will charge their own - in this case a 13 year member - for striking a person with their vehicle (lightly).

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2017/04/13/calgary-police-member-charged-allegedly-striking-man-vehicle.html

Mar
04-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Someone hacked my server and all my images are gone, I'll have to upload them again. Give me a few days.

Seth1968
04-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Someone hacked my server and all my images are gone.

It was probably the cops:)

revelations
04-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Mar
Someone hacked my server and all my images are gone, I'll have to upload them again. Give me a few days.

Thats what backups are for??:dunno: