PDA

View Full Version : Alonso to race in Indianapolis 500!

Pages : [1] 2

Sykes
04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
I'm definitely going to be tuning in this year...!

The surprise move has come against the backdrop of a disappointing start to the 2017 Formula 1 season for the Spaniard, with the McLaren-Honda package not delivering all that had been hoped.

However, despite Monaco perhaps offering McLaren its best chance of a result early in the campaign, the lure of contesting the iconic Indy 500 has proved too much for Alonso.

Following weeks of secret talks involving Honda, McLaren and Alonso, agreement has been reached for the two-time F1 champion to race in a McLaren-Honda entry run by Andretti Autosport, which will be painted in McLaren's iconic orange livery.

It will be Alonso’s first attempt on IndyCar’s most famous race and his first experience of oval racing.

“I’m immensely excited that I’ll be racing in this year’s Indy 500, with McLaren, Honda and Andretti Autosport," said the Spaniard.

“The Indy 500 is one of the most famous races on the global motorsport calendar, rivalled only by the Le Mans 24 Hours and the Monaco Grand Prix, and it’s of course a regret of mine that I won’t be able to race at Monaco this year.

"But Monaco will be the only 2017 Grand Prix I’ll be missing, and I’ll be back in the cockpit of the McLaren-Honda MCL32 for the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in early June.

“I’ve never raced an IndyCar car before, and neither have I ever driven on a superspeedway, but I’m confident that I’ll get to grips with it fast.

"I’ve watched a lot of IndyCar action on TV and online, and it’s clear that great precision is required to race in close proximity with other cars on the far side of 220mph."

McLaren has yet to officially confirm who will replace Alonso for the clashing Monaco F1 race, but retired 2009 champion Jenson Button is considered the favourite to land the seat.

Source:
Motorsport.com (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-to-skip-monaco-gp-to-contest-indy-500-892869/)

g-m
04-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Wtf, oval 'racing'?

rage2
04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
I watch Indy 500 every year. Looking forward to crashgate 2.0 and Alonso winning it all haha.

Fucking Honda curse. Engine so bad their star driving would rather race Indy 500 than the crown jewel F1 race lol. At least Honda is competitive in Indycar.

Or maybe it's the Alonso curse, and Honda cars have reliability issues at Indy 500 while McLaren wins Monaco. :rofl:

mikestypes
04-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Honda was fast at Long Beach this past weekend, but they did blow up a couple times so it is entirely possible!

speedog
04-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by g-m
Wtf, oval 'racing'?

Ha, next step is racing under the lights at Bristol with all the redheaded stepchildren. You know, I know it, it's inevitable - the lure of being another Ricky Bobby will be just too great.

Sentry
04-12-2017, 09:16 AM
He just wants to go fast

schocker
04-12-2017, 09:40 AM
Now I will watch this. Wonder who will race in his place at monaco, Button?

Inzane
04-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Can someone please explain what the big deal is about the Indy 500?

It's just a big fucking oval. Why is it considered the "most famous race in the world"? :dunno:

speedog
04-12-2017, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

It's just a big fucking oval. Why is it considered the "most famous race in the world"? :dunno:

From Wikipedia...

One of the oldest existing purpose-built automobile racing circuits in the United States, still in use, is the 2.5-mile (4.02 km)-long Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Speedway, Indiana. It is the largest capacity sports venue of any variety worldwide, with a top capacity of some 257,000+ seated spectators.

Plus it's a race that dates back over 100 years, is there any other single auto racing event that's been run at the same facility that can make claim to such a long history. Now is the Indy 500 high on my list of forms of racing to watch, nope but I will record and watch it as it is a spectacle in itself.

OTown
04-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Its probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for him seeing as he will likely retire in the next few years. Tough to pass up monaco though.

SKR
04-12-2017, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

You don't have to like it, but you can't be a racing fan and not understand ovals.

flipstah
04-12-2017, 07:58 PM
Let's go McLaren! Apparently the Indy500 motor is also Honda? They should put that in the F1 car lol

phreezee
04-13-2017, 07:42 AM
I don't care about Indy, but I hope Button is racing in Monaco!:clap:

phreezee
04-13-2017, 11:06 AM
RmpWHC1Kek4

KfhJ30T4tRA

Hallowed_point
04-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Wow..thanks for posting. This is exciting

cycosis
04-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Button confirmed

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/39589767

speedog
04-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Fernando wants to win other series and other famous races. And now Lewis is in the news talking about MotoGP and the Daytona 500 as things he'd like to try out. I think it would be great to see these two try their hand in a stock car, Pablo's done it so recently why not others?

r3ccOs
04-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by SKR

You don't have to like it, but you can't be a racing fan and not understand ovals.

cuz rubbin's racing son

that said, Nascar/stockcar on an Oval... sure but an opened wheel racer, where the pedigree are typically graduates of carting and formula racing... why insist on keeping a substantial % of your races on power ovals

Chris Elyea
04-14-2017, 04:07 PM
"Honda has a strong mower engine that will finally allow me to be competitive against the 19-year-olds. And lawn care comes with easy access to deck chairs, which I also enjoy," stated Fernando.

SKR
04-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

cuz rubbin's racing son

that said, Nascar/stockcar on an Oval... sure but an opened wheel racer, where the pedigree are typically graduates of carting and formula racing... why insist on keeping a substantial % of your races on power ovals

I guess because Indycar's pedigree is the Indy 500. I didn't know until only a couple years ago that they raced on other ovals. I always knew about Indy of course, but I just assumed that was the only one. I have never thought about it much but yeah, you're right, I don't think many Indycar drivers grew up racing Saturday night dirt tracks in the south.

I think racing is racing, doesn't matter what it's in, which way they turn, or if they turn at all.

rage2
04-15-2017, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by SKR
I guess because Indycar's pedigree is the Indy 500. I didn't know until only a couple years ago that they raced on other ovals. I always knew about Indy of course, but I just assumed that was the only one. I have never thought about it much but yeah, you're right, I don't think many Indycar drivers grew up racing Saturday night dirt tracks in the south.
Mario Andretti is the first name I can think of that grew up racing dirt ovals.

Indycar has always been a good mix of ovals and roadcourses, until the split and IRL was created which was all ovals. By the tail end of the split, CART was pretty much all roadcourse so that's probably what you remember. Since the reunification of the 2 series, it's been back to a good mix of the 2.

It's too bad the series was so mismanaged, from the split, to CART bankruptcy. Indycar rivaled F1 in popularity back in the day and had top talent. Now it's a bunch of nobodies, has beens, and well I guess a top driver in a shitty team haha.

flipstah
04-15-2017, 03:22 AM
Sounds like a riot!

SKR
04-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Mario Andretti is the first name I can think of that grew up racing dirt ovals.

Indycar has always been a good mix of ovals and roadcourses, until the split and IRL was created which was all ovals. By the tail end of the split, CART was pretty much all roadcourse so that's probably what you remember. Since the reunification of the 2 series, it's been back to a good mix of the 2.

It's too bad the series was so mismanaged, from the split, to CART bankruptcy. Indycar rivaled F1 in popularity back in the day and had top talent. Now it's a bunch of nobodies, has beens, and well I guess a top driver in a shitty team haha.

Looking on Wikipedia, I am indeed retarded.

I was never a big fan, so the only way I knew about it was if it was on TV. And I only had CBC and CTV growing up in the 90s. Probably the only races televised were the Indy 500, and the two road course races in Toronto and Vancouver.

rage2
05-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Practice starts today!

Live stream, Alonso on track right now.

XuS6mwx6nUc

rage2
05-15-2017, 11:01 AM
Alonso and Honda at the top. :nut: Rookies only so far but still!

http://preview.ibb.co/gm11wQ/alonso.jpg (http://ibb.co/hKbZGQ)

OTown
05-16-2017, 02:41 PM
That's pretty impressive.

killramos
05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
Anyone know how many hours Alonso has actually had in the car? Very impressive indeed.

phreezee
05-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Pretty far down at the end of the day @ #20 +0.5907s .... but then again they had a suspension problem and didn't complete the program:

https://racingnews.co/2017/05/15/indy-500-practice-time-may-15-2017/

rage2
05-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Suspension problem was yesterday.

phreezee
05-17-2017, 08:56 AM
^yeah that post was in regards to Monday.

Tuesday practice: Alonso was 24th, just after Max Chilton. Alonso completed the most laps though, at 117.

rage2
05-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Don't get too carried away with actual performance during these practice sessions. It's all over the map every single year. Friday when they turn up the boost, quali, and practices next week are more telling of actual performance.

In the end, it doesn't matter. It's all down to strategy and luck during the race. Maybe Alonso can bring some Crashgate experience to the Indy 500, seeing as they full course caution absolutely anything. Have another driver brush the wall a few times over the course of the race at the right time to maximize his strategy haha.

revelations
05-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Fernando wants to win other series and other famous races. And now Lewis is in the news talking about MotoGP and the Daytona 500 as things he'd like to try out. I think it would be great to see these two try their hand in a stock car, Pablo's done it so recently why not others?

I had no idea Lewis was a serious rider until I saw a clip of the F1 drivers' personal vehicle parking are and he had a couple of bikes to choose from. Would be interesting to see how good he could do against The Doctor.

phreezee
05-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Day 3:

1. Ed Carpenter USA Ed Carpenter Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 222.894mph
2. Scott Dixon NZL Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 222.599mph
3. JR Hildebrand USA Ed Carpenter Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 220.553mph
4. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda Andretti Dallara-Honda 219.533mph
5. Conor Daly USA A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 219.233mph
6. Max Chilton GBR Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 218.872mph
7. Carlos Munoz COL A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 218.840mph
8. Zach Veach USA A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara-Chevrolet 218.636mph
9. Charlie Kimball USA Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 218.122mph
10. Jay Howard GBR Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 217.299mph
11. Tony Kanaan BRA Chip Ganassi Racing Dallara-Honda 217.057mph
12. Graham Rahal USA Rahal Letterman Lanigan Dallara-Honda 216.866mph
13. Mikhail Aleshin RUS Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 216.844mph
14. James Hinchcliffe CAN Schmidt Peterson Dallara-Honda 216.333mph
15. Josef Newgarden USA Team Penske Dallara-Chevrolet 159.591mph
16. Jack Harvey GBR Michael Shank Racing Dallara-Honda 156.680mph
17. Sage Karam USA Dreyer & Reinbold Racing Dallara-Chevrolet 151.130mph
18. Takuma Sato JPN Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda 109.878mph
19. Alexander Rossi USA Andretti Herta Dallara-Honda 107.319mph
20. Marco Andretti USA Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda 102.752mph
21. Oriol Servia ESP Rahal Letterman Lanigan Dallara-Honda 61.301mph
22. Spencer Pigot AUS Juncos Racing Dallara-Chevrolet no time
23. Ryan Hunter-Reay USA Andretti Autosport Dallara-Honda no time
24. Sebastian Saavedra COL Juncos Racing Dallara-Chevrolet no time
25. Gabby Chaves COL Harding Racing Dallara-Chevrolet no time
Read more at http://www.crash.net/indycar/results/247570/1/indy-500-free-practice-results-3.html#qp2OKF0A4Fiz0fc0.99

rage2
05-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Relevant article on Player's Trubune.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/fernando-alonso-indy-500-mclaren-honda-andretti/

Thanks Mibz for the headsup.

speedog
05-18-2017, 11:51 AM
Man, if Alonso thinks Indy is more pure/raw than F1 then he'd probably shit his pants in NASCAR running in a pack of 30+ cars at over 200MPH where the front and rear of the pack are under 3 seconds apart, the cars around you are inches away and often the driver behind you is bumping you to get you going faster.

rage2
05-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Really impressed with Alonso so far. Watching live stream/clips here and there's he's making some solid moves, driving deep into the apex on the painted lines, and working well in traffic. He's 4th overall but currently the fastest driver in the afternoon.

He on track right now practicing passing.

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

R154
05-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Man, if Alonso thinks Indy is more pure/raw than F1 then he'd probably shit his pants in NASCAR running in a pack of 30+ cars at over 200MPH where the front and rear of the pack are under 3 seconds apart, the cars around you are inches away and often the driver behind you is bumping you to get you going faster.

I don't understand why you take every opportunity to compare nascar with F1, or really any other series.

They are different.

Indy is to Alonso, more of a grassroots open wheel racing feel. He talks fondly about his time in kart-racing. He misses the equal footing run what you brung type of racings where he isn't seriously hampered by shit equipment. Indy 500 is also one of those legendary racing events that any competitive drier wishes to be a part of. Regardless of what series they drive in.

Nascar is not open wheel or open cockpit racings. Completely different animal.

Montoya raced both series and prefers nascar. A lot of F1 drivers have expressed interest in nascar. But it is a completely different racing animal.

It's like comparing baseball and basketball. The only things those two have in common is that they are team sports played with a round object.

Completely different objectives and scoring. Different equipment.

speedog
05-18-2017, 05:21 PM
So sensitive. Anyhow, isn't the objective of any form of auto racing just to win?

Alpine Autowerks
05-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by R154

I don't understand why you take every opportunity to compare nascar with F1, or really any other series.

They are different.

isn't that what makes comparisons intersting?

OTown
05-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Wow 4th after the little practice he's had. Nicely done Fernando!

R154
05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Genuine question: how many NASCAR drivers have switched over to F1?

rage2
05-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Mario Andretti would be the only one I can think of, but that's a whole different era of racing. Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart have driven an F1 car through the seat swap events.

The other way around, Montoya competed at the top level at NASCAR, Villeneuve and Piquet Jr competed in the lower levels, and Hamilton drove one during the seat swap event.

Let's see if my racing history is half decent haha.

edit - apparently not that good. Missed A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney, and Mark Donahue that has competed in both disciplines (F1 first) from a quick google search.

edit 2 - missed Kimi racing in NASCAR truck series, 1 race.

edit 3 - Christian Fittipaldi, Eliseo Salazar, Jan Magnussen, Max Papis, Narain Karthikeyan, Olivier Beretta, Scott Speed, Mika Salo (test only), and Jarno Trulli (test only).

Yup, my racing knowledge is terrible.

R154
05-19-2017, 12:32 AM
I meant, raced in NASCAR for significant periods of time and then become formula 1 drivers.

Lots of formula 1 drivers try out other disciplines.

rage2
05-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Ya, Mario Andretti would be the only one.

speedog
05-19-2017, 06:36 AM
I do not believe that there has been any NASCAR drivers that have become Formula 1 drivers. Not sure why as the aim in either type of racing is to win and the ultimate goal is to win the season. Different types of racing, one is very technical in nature, shorter races, smaller fields - the other very much less so but with much longer races, larger fields and inches apart racing.

If the point of the question posed is to demonstrate that one series only attracts the best of the best, then so be it - each to their own. I guess if it bothers someone that I dare to make comparisons then I'll cease doing such even though I have made it quite obvious that I totally enjoy the insane technical side of F1 and the whole 'over the topness' of F1. What I get from NASCAR though is the almost never ending close quarters racing and I will readily admit that NASCAR was losing it's way until they brought in the stage racing and playoff points this year. I thought the playoff racing was really dumb when brought in a few years ago but it proved to change the series for the better but nothing can compare to the stage racing element and playoff points that NASCAR added this year.

Anyhow, this thread should be about Alonso and his adventure at the Indy 500 and his quest to sip from the glass bottle of milk at the end of the race. I happen to find the Indy 500 not all that interesting but the spectacle of it all is almost in a league by itself, the yard of bricks is but one small testament to that spectacle.

R154
05-19-2017, 07:21 AM
You misunderstand me. The very first racing event I ever went to was the Daytona 500. I went with my dad when I was tiny. I loved it. The second was a rally stage in north wales. I didn't start watching or actively start loving F1 until the end of 2003.

Dad started taking me to racecity so we could sit in the stands of our oval and chat about cars. We'd go to secret street. And then I started building my own cars and going to secret street. Never did get to drive on our oval.

I am a motorsports enthusiast through and through. I hope you DON'T stop posting your opinions. Just because I don't necessarily agree with each of your posts, doesn't mean they don't resonate with other members, here.

My question wasn't to be passive aggressive. It was one of genuine interest.

At the end of the day, it's only plebs like me arguing the virtues of one racing series against another. While people like Alonso and Montoya are actively out there doing it. Regardless of what I say, each league holds interest in their hearts for different reasons. Obviously they are challenging and important to racing drivers too.

My opinion is that they aren't comparable series and that drivers in each division of motorsports train and compete for their style of racing their whole life. To say a series or a driver from a series is better in any way, is fool hearty.

My favourite memories are seeing the Subaru of Colin McRae just ripping between trees. Am I going to say wrc is a more exciting series than NASCAR? To me? Sure, but that doesn't make it any less challenging or exciting for NASCAR fans. They race in different ways. Present different angles of excitement. For me the exhilaration of my first wrc race has never been paralleled by any other. I was a kid though. And I never got to see the v10 turbos in real life.

I will say that F1 these days in comparison to when there were still v10's makes me weep. F1 isn't nearly as exciting to watch as a singular event. More a technical marvel and a cumulative building of moments over an entire season.

We are talking about the same thing just viewed from opposite sides.

OTown
05-19-2017, 11:00 AM
I think the reasons why they normally go F1 to NASCAR are basically money and prestige.

NASCAR drivers make fractions of what F1 makes, thus lowers their opportunity to buy their way into the sport. The sponsors arent the same. Its also pretty hard to impress when driving stock cars compared to F3, GT racing, open wheel racing IMO. Its just less glamorous and they don't have the same level of skill vs internationally renown circuits. Not that NASCAR isnt hard or the drivers dont have skill, its just that its not at the same level as F1.

Team_Mclaren
05-19-2017, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by OTown
I think the reasons why they normally go F1 to NASCAR are basically money and prestige.

NASCAR drivers make fractions of what F1 makes, thus lowers their opportunity to buy their way into the sport. The sponsors arent the same. Its also pretty hard to impress when driving stock cars compared to F3, GT racing, open wheel racing IMO. Its just less glamorous and they don't have the same level of skill vs internationally renown circuits. Not that NASCAR isnt hard or the drivers dont have skill, its just that its not at the same level as F1.

You are crazy if you think there's less money in Nascar, not to mention half the F1 grid are paid seats that teams actually make money from having that driver.

rage2
05-19-2017, 02:19 PM
Average Nascar salaries sit between top F1 and bottom feeder driver salaries. So if you're someone in the middle in F1, say, Kevin Magnussen, going to Nascar would probably be a salary bump, while a top driver like Alonso/Vettel/Hamilton would be a demotion. There's more money to go around in Nascar though, my guess is more double digit million dollar Nascar salaries than F1 by a huge margin. Then there are sponsorship and marketing income, which is much larger in F1 than in Nascar. So yea, it's hard to really make a definitive statement here. They're just 2 completely different beasts.

Anyways, back on topic. Storm has cleared, they're back on the track again. Alonso seems to have no issues with qualifying setup today, topping the timesheets on his first laps out there, and now still sitting in 5th from this morning (3rd for No-tow).

R154
05-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Alonso is almost in quali!!!

R154
05-20-2017, 03:13 PM
I really hope he gets a better drive next year. I did some reading about him and he really is a fantastic Stewart to motorsports.

I might be a lewis fan, but today I have become an Alonso (quiet) fan.

speedog
05-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Alonso conditionally sitting fourth in qualifying. What a tremendous crash by Sebatien Bourdais, pretty much 230MPH straight into the wall - no word on his injuries yet but the fact that he was concious and moving is a testament to both the construction of the car and the Safer barrier.

speedog
05-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Bourdais, being operated on tonight, multiple fractures to pelvis and a fracture to his right hip.

R154
05-20-2017, 08:32 PM
As soon as I saw the back end twitch I knew he was going straight into that barrier.

Such a shitty deal.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

speedog
05-20-2017, 10:19 PM
YeXWqXz0ltw

rage2
05-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Alonso starts 5th next week. Crazy shit.

R154
05-21-2017, 05:47 PM
He was so fast. Unbelievable. Can't believe he just walked into this car and this race and just dominated.

bjstare
05-22-2017, 05:03 AM
That crash was tough to watch, what an impact.

rage2
05-24-2017, 12:23 PM
https://youtu.be/D3Q8HWnzkD8?t=8m30s

Poor Honda. :rofl:

tonytiger55
05-24-2017, 01:19 PM
YeXWqXz0ltw

Holy Crap!! That slam! :eek:

rage2
05-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Alright, next on the agenda! What milk are we gonna see today? :poosie:

http://media.theindychannel.com/photo/2017/05/27/milk_1495933159130_60307447_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

R154
05-28-2017, 10:55 AM
Alonso leading!!!

rage2
05-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Pass on the inside, check.

Pass on the outside, check.

Own the pit stops, check.

Pass everyone, check.

Alonso in a fucking McLaren Honda leading a race in 2017. Haha

tonytiger55
05-28-2017, 10:57 AM
Hey one of the cameras shots has flowers on the left side.. whats that about..?

tonytiger55
05-28-2017, 11:00 AM
Interesting line Alonso takes. He uses the whole of the inside line of the track compared to the car in front...

R154
05-28-2017, 11:08 AM
That crash was CRAZY

R154
05-28-2017, 11:09 AM
Pass on the inside, check.

Pass on the outside, check.

Own the pit stops, check.

Pass everyone, check.

Alonso in a fucking McLaren Honda leading a race in 2017. Haha

How happy are you right now on a scale of 1 to mp4-12c haha.

Button fucked his regular ride. Maybe he stays in this one...

lilmira
05-28-2017, 11:10 AM
He's lucky to walk away for sure. Had the car landed on the barrier at the cockpit.........

tonytiger55
05-28-2017, 11:12 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!!! How lucky he was not to have hit on his head...

R154
05-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Man helio was crazy lucky as well.

rage2
05-28-2017, 11:24 AM
That totally reminded me of the Greg Moore accident. So lucky to walk away from that.

speedog
05-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by tonytiger55
Hey one of the cameras shots has flowers on the left side.. whats that about..?

It's an Indy thing.

R154
05-28-2017, 11:42 AM
By the end 10 cars will finish.

speedog
05-28-2017, 11:43 AM
4, 5 wide - something had to give, Daly in the wall.

rage2
05-28-2017, 11:56 AM
How happy are you right now on a scale of 1 to mp4-12c haha
Not gonna lie, I forgot what it feels like to cheer for my team when they actually have a chance of winning. These butterflies in my stomach feels so new. It's been too long.

R154
05-28-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm largely a neutral but I am absolutely floored how well Alonso is doing. A rookie that has lead a bunch of laps... Oh fuck ya. The field is thinning and he has pace... I'm more riveted by this race than this mornings.

speedog
05-28-2017, 12:10 PM
By the end 10 cars will finish.

How do you figure that?

Last 10 years at the Indy 500 (an average of 22.8 cars running and finishing the race = 69%)...

2016 - 25 of 33
2015 - 22 of 33
2014 - 25 of 33
2013 - 26 of 33
2012 - 22 of 33
2011 - 25 of 33
2010 - 19 of 33
2009 - 20 of 33
2008 - 21 of 33
2007 - 23 of 33

In comparison, for the last 10 years at Monaco including this year had an average of 14.5 of 20 cars have been running and finished the race for an average of 72.5% and one can not really compare these two races because of the amount of passing and side by side racing at the Indy 500. Coca Cola 600's same percentage over the past 10 years - 83.6%, again a different kind of racing - lots of passing and side by side racing.

R154
05-28-2017, 12:29 PM
I was being sarcastic. Thanks for those figures though.

rage2
05-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Alonso driving like a seasoned pro. That was a great restart.

R154
05-28-2017, 12:59 PM
He really is amazing.

speedog
05-28-2017, 01:03 PM
It'll be interesting to hear what he's got to say about the race at the end of it - he's probably done more passing and close quarters racing in the one race than he's done in the last 5 years in F1.

speedog
05-28-2017, 01:06 PM
I was being sarcastic. Thanks for those figures though.

NP, the Coca Cola 600 numbers came as a complete surprise to me - I would've expected a much lower finishing percentage. New this year at Charlotte, a traction compound has been added to the high groove to encourage more passing.

speedog
05-28-2017, 01:08 PM
Lap 148 - 5 wide with Alonso on the inside, nuts.

R154
05-28-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm really digging this race. A lot more than I thought I would.

rage2
05-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Alonso got a little fucked by the yellows. Balls out to the end now, he needs to make some passes.

phreezee
05-28-2017, 01:33 PM
HAHAHAHA:rofl:

yJxCdh1Ps48

lilmira
05-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Oh o

R154
05-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuck. God fucking damn it. Fucking bullshit.

schocker
05-28-2017, 01:34 PM
What a buzzkill

rage2
05-28-2017, 01:35 PM
:facepalm:

R154
05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Fucking bullshit. Honda just can't catch a break in any series.

rage2
05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Time to buy a Honda and burn it to the ground.

I hope Chevy wins this.

rage2
05-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Chevy in the lead. Fuck you Honda. 6 to go.

Nismorphed
05-28-2017, 02:02 PM
Sato

rage2
05-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Fuck. Still angry. Japanese driver winning for Honda is something Honda doesn't deserve.

tonytiger55
05-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Oh dear... oh dear indeed... :facepalm:

Oh well....Nascar in a hour....

Though im tempted to go out to the park instead... Kinda nice outside..

Alpine Autowerks
05-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Fuck. Still angry. Japanese driver winning for Honda is something Honda doesn't deserve.

On Japanese tires.

There is nothing subtle about the way those engines lot go...I wonder if they can reuse the valve covers?

On the plus side for America's greatest race.Sato drank milk and didn't claim lactose intolerance.

cloud7
05-28-2017, 03:56 PM
What a race and what a finish. Sure beat watching the Monaco race this morning.

R154
05-28-2017, 04:00 PM
I was so angry I just stopped watching and went for a walk. Threw a bunch of shit. An absolutely horrible racing weekend. Just a total disaster.

I can't remember ever being so angry about anything not directly related to me in my life.

I feel like Honda stole the fairytale from us. Fernando deserved to finish. He deserved that. And all those crashes. He survived it all.

I just feel robbed. Robbed for him. I would be solemnly surprised if Alonso chose to drive for a Honda team again. Did he do any interviews?

rage2
05-28-2017, 04:34 PM
He did interviews and was pretty upbeat. Didn't shame Honda. Praised the drivers there.

The fairy tale would've been close if the engine didn't let go. Probably Sato was the only one that posed a challenge to the end. Everyone ahead of Alonso at the restart were there because of desynched pit stops. He passed a car a lap with 23 to go, was the fastest car on the track. All the other fast cars pretty much blew up or crashed.