PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get an old and cheap projector?

Mar
04-26-2017, 10:47 PM
I've tried pawn shops and thrift stores but is sort of a specialty item, I'm looking for one to play old NES games so I don't care how good it is as long as it works. All the places I go to only seem to care about stocking newer projectors that people can actually use for movies and stuff. It'd be nice to have one with HDMI input but my main focus right now is playing old video games that were pretty low resolution anyway.

I haven't had a lot of luck lately, so far I got 3:
- one I got from Kijiji for $60, it works but there's a large blue tint to 1/4 of the screen
- one my girlfriend brought home from work, it doesn't turn on
- a second my girlfriend brought home from work, it's black and white for some reason. Something about the colour wheel exploding?

Maybe someone knows of an office blowing these out or something.

jwslam
04-27-2017, 09:08 AM
I've been looking to upgrade mine.

Epson S4. Got a couple hundred hours on the bulb at low brightness.
$180? :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Keep in mind anything you buy with a traditional bulb will eventually require a new bulb which will cost a lot more than the projector. Bulbs also require a certain amount of care or you will dramatically reduce their lifespan, which pretty well guarantees anything used you buy will have to be replaced soon.

I'd buy something like this long before buying other people's junk off Kijiji - HDMI, and it has an LED light source so you don't need to worry about bulbs:

https://www.amazon.ca/Mpow-Projector-Portable-Multimedia-Backyard/dp/B01LLMNZN4/ref=sr_1_3?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1493321890&sr=8-3&keywords=projector

It's also tiny so you can bring it around wherever you want.

revelations
04-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Buying a projector is not simply point and click setup. You need to look at MANY things before choosing the right model - like - throw distance, ambient light, projection surface, lumens, keystone angles, etc. You would do well to pick a projector from projectorcentral.com and go from there - instead of the other way around.

5 years ago I bought a used EPSON 1080p projector, with a bulb that was dying (as stated by seller). I bought an lamp for something like 70$ (*which came with a housing, but turned out that housing is not necessary). We use it at least once a week for 3-4 hours. Has been flawless since, spent hours finding one on kijiji and matching it to our needs on projector central.

Mitsu3000gt
04-27-2017, 02:53 PM
^^ I don't think he cares about any of the standard projector buying advice, especially with a budget between free and $60, and the only requirement being that "it works" haha. He's probably also just projecting onto his wall unless he somehow has a screen.

eblend
04-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Got one, yours free. It's an HP one, VGA inputs.

Has other inputs too, I am sure RCA as well, will have to go look.

Kloubek
04-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Now there's a deal. Was going to offer mine up for one bill, but that is far better. :)

Mar
05-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Got one, yours free. It's an HP one, VGA inputs.

Has other inputs too, I am sure RCA as well, will have to go look.

Cool, how many lumens? Thanks for the offer, let me know where you're located.

eblend
05-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Cool, how many lumens? Thanks for the offer, let me know where you're located.

Will give you info in a bit. Just got back from vacation, in catchup mode.