PDA

View Full Version : Calgary water bill set to go up

rage2
05-03-2017, 09:12 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/47-million-revenue-shortfall-could-lead-to-water-bill-spikes-in-2019

Water bills could rise faster than expected in the coming years as the city looks to make up for a $47-million revenue shortfall that’s being blamed on a lack of building activity.

New development in Calgary fell to a 33-year low in 2016, according to a city report, resulting in lower off-site levies being paid to the city’s water utility._

The priorities and finance committee heard Tuesday morning that despite significant work to mitigate much of the revenue shortfall, “the magnitude of the shortfall will still put pressure on the rate increases in the 2019-2022 business cycle.”

“As a result of the less-than-predicted amount of development happening in 2016, what we end up with is a shortfall in revenue that means that utility ratepayers are now offsetting the shortfall in off-site levy revenues,” Gillian Skeates, a city finance manager, told members of council Tuesday.[/b]
Kind of funny that all the bitching over the years about new suburbs draining infrastructure and funding, it was new suburbs that's been subsidizing everyone else all along.

civic_stylez
05-03-2017, 09:31 AM
Keeping with the trends, if gas/heat goes up, make sure water is right with it. Once we're all down, an extra kick is easy.

schocker
05-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Kind of funny that all the bitching over the years about new suburbs draining infrastructure and funding, it was new suburbs that's been subsidizing everyone else all along.
I don't know if I can believe that. I am evil because I don't live in a multi-story inner city dwelling where the water mains never require repair or replacement. :rofl:

HiTempguy1
05-03-2017, 09:40 AM
it was new suburbs that's been subsidizing everyone else all along.

Yea, but who didn't know that? :nut:

88CRX
05-03-2017, 09:59 AM

Link this back to the ‘suburbs are the devil’ thread. LOL

The suburban developments were paying for all sorts of things. The amount of levies and fee’s tacked onto developers for infrastructure upgrades is staggering.

speedog
05-03-2017, 10:16 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/47-million-revenue-shortfall-could-lead-to-water-bill-spikes-in-2019

Hasn't ever changed as pretty much every community was a suburb at one time or another. If anything, they're not pulling their weight now. :D

Sugarphreak
05-03-2017, 12:59 PM

g-m
05-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Water already costs a fortune

Star1995
05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by g-m

The funny thing about this is water literally falls from the sky! :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by g-m
My wife bitches about $1/litre for gasoline but will easily drop $4 on a litre of Fiji water ;)

J-hop
05-03-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm fairly certain Calgary is pretty average (if not below average for major cities) on cost for clean+gray water charges even after the increase.

I'll be paying an extra $4.50/mo, whoop dee MFIng doo

spikerS
05-03-2017, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

My wife bitches about $1/litre for gasoline but will easily drop $4 on a litre of Fiji water ;)

I hate it when people make that comparison. Really the only thing those two have in common is they are a liquid. Or gas versus any other liquid like Coke.

Might as well compare the price of a pineapple to the cost of a pine tree and try to assert there is a correlation between them.

Back on topic, yeah, I can't understand spending that much on water that is usually the equivalent of tap water, and sometimes worse.

ercchry
05-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Paying for sewer for water that evaporates leaves me a little salty... at least pools aren't common in this province

timdog
05-04-2017, 08:22 AM
you can't like, own water, man.

civic_stylez
05-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

LOL this is a very real reality in my house as well. Wife wont drink that cheap store brand stuff, but that quality Fiji water... thats sent from the heavens.

speedog
05-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Star1995

The funny thing about this is water literally falls from the sky! :dunno:

I'm pretty sure the amount that falls from the sky on my yard would never even come close to approaching my family's usage.

Xtrema
05-04-2017, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Paying for sewer for water that evaporates leaves me a little salty... at least pools aren't common in this province

But if come back down eventually and goes thru storm drains right? :rofl:

The BS is green cart when I have a garburator for all my organics. I guess at least I can separate lawn clippings.

Feruk
05-04-2017, 08:49 AM
Nice to see another shortfall instantly means taxpayers get fucked in the ass again instead of cutting costs (see: not trying to cut costs but actually just doing it).

Originally posted by civic_stylez
but that quality Fiji water... thats sent from the heavens.
Even the locals in Fiji will tell you not to drink the water. Every time I see the Fiji water, I think "well that must taste like shit." Evian though, that's like some next level French spring water fit for a God! :rofl:

mr2mike
05-04-2017, 09:22 AM
At some point, people are going to start installing bypass lines on their meters and slipping water.

But in reality, 60% of my water and sewer bills are service charges. Not the actual usage.

HiTempguy1
05-04-2017, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by speedog

I'm pretty sure the amount that falls from the sky on my yard would never even come close to approaching my family's usage.

We have a 40x50 shop at the acreage. We also have a 5k L water tank that is hooked up to the downspouts which we use for watering the lawn (on a well, and watering it would be such a waste otherwise).

One overnight rainfall? Full.

And if we didn't do that, it all just drains into the back 40 and makes it a swamp. So you'd be surprised. Also, rainwater is essentially purified already :dunno:

speedog
05-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

We have a 40x50 shop at the acreage. We also have a 5k L water tank that is hooked up to the downspouts which we use for watering the lawn (on a well, and watering it would be such a waste otherwise).

One overnight rainfall? Full.

And if we didn't do that, it all just drains into the back 40 and makes it a swamp. So you'd be surprised. Also, rainwater is essentially purified already :dunno:

You haven't met my daughter.

Sugarphreak
05-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Hallowed_point
05-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So.... being this is Beyond: Pics?

Assuming of course it isn't jail bait :D

Pics in the shower please.

speedog
05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Not jail bait but I won't indulge you perverts.

J-hop
05-04-2017, 12:08 PM

but would you drink water that's been sitting in your tank for a week?

ExtraSlow
05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
Greydog is 86. His daughter is probably in her late fifties. Not that I'm judging . . . :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
05-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Not jail bait but I won't indulge you perverts.

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
05-04-2017, 02:18 PM

HiTempguy1
05-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

but would you drink water that's been sitting in your tank for a week?

That tank specifically? No. But if I set it up properly, yea I'd have no problem with it :dunno: And I'm not talking anything fancy, mainly just dividing the tank into a "dirty" settling side and a "clean" drinking side. Have the tank de-germified once per year. Maybe throw a tad of chlorine in every once in a while. Ya, I'd totally drink that.

My point was that you can collect a LOT of water in not much area. That's all. Would be great for greywater use.

flipstah
05-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Beyond is weird.

rage2
05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Beyond is weird during a recession.
FIFY.

Tik-Tok
05-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I hate it when people make that comparison. Really the only thing those two have in common is they are a liquid. Or gas versus any other liquid like Coke.

:werd: If gas was sold in 500ml bottles, and advertised like H20, it would be $20 a litre.

eblend
05-04-2017, 04:28 PM
And people called me crazy when I built this...haha. 11x55gallon barrels under that. Once full can water my lawn for 20 min per day for two weeks straight (with a pump).

https://photos.smugmug.com/ForumPictures/n-L432s/i-7Ww46BD/0/4f70eb2e/XL/i-7Ww46BD-XL.jpg

quick_scar
05-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by eblend
And people called me crazy when I built this...haha. 11x55gallon barrels under that. Once full can water my lawn for 20 min per day for two weeks straight (with a pump).

https://photos.smugmug.com/ForumPictures/n-L432s/i-7Ww46BD/0/4f70eb2e/XL/i-7Ww46BD-XL.jpg

Got a build thread??

I have a space like that I would like to make useful

jwslam
05-04-2017, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Which you're also getting screwed on for electricity and carbon taxes :rofl:

eblend
05-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Which you're also getting screwed on for electricity and carbon taxes :rofl:

Yah well haha, I feel better about it. Whole IN = OUT for water on the bill is annoying as hell when you water the lawn.

And no, there was no build thread, I posted it under some "post what you have done this weekend" threads I think under Home and Garden. Here are some pics when I first build my 4 barrel version back in the day, it's the bigger version of this underneath as I moved everything to the side of the garage to make room for a bigger deck.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-xR8zdmW/0/ef871969/XL/20140816_100809-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-KvsgF2n/0/be691a79/XL/20140817_154320-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-7xhxRtQ/0/b763d7a9/XL/20140817_162555-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-9ZrvtGj/0/a9a7c161/XL/20140817_170852-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-stsV9nG/0/bdc34b52/XL/20140817_182939-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Dima/House/i-nJVqcgm/0/eb3f770c/XL/20140817_192856-XL.jpg

J-hop
05-04-2017, 06:03 PM

That tank specifically? No. But if I set it up properly, yea I'd have no problem with it :dunno: And I'm not talking anything fancy, mainly just dividing the tank into a "dirty" settling side and a "clean" drinking side. Have the tank de-germified once per year. Maybe throw a tad of chlorine in every once in a while. Ya, I'd totally drink that.

My point was that you can collect a LOT of water in not much area. That's all. Would be great for greywater use.

Why don't you then?

HiTempguy1
05-04-2017, 08:48 PM
I just went and looked at a property this evening that would be the perfect candidate for something like this. So maybe i will? Haha

Sugarphreak
05-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Swank
05-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by timdog
you can't like, own water, man. It really is a rental fee, then you have to pay again to ship it out (sewage).

kertejud2
05-06-2017, 07:39 AM

Always need new development to pay for the previous development? There's another thread talking about Ponzi schemes somewhere...

Off-site levy is going up significantly as well this year and next, as the city was covering a larger share the past several years, so developers of a new single detached will have to pay $4.5K more in 2018 than they did in 2016 to offset infrastructure costs. The developments still aren't paying for themselves and the budget shortfall without new development shows that. Why would the water bill across the city need to go up if new developments were subsidizing old ones in any sustainable way?

ianmcc
05-06-2017, 08:05 AM
Funny but there is no mention anywhere in the news about water services not hiring any seasonal staff this year. So in essence you could be paying more if they didn't cut staffing levels.