PDA

View Full Version : Is this reasonable wear and tear?

whiteout
05-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Currently have a roommate who up until a couple of months ago had a cat. Said cat decided to use the concrete in the basement as a littler box and it currently stinks, airing the basement out doesn't fix it.

Pulled the lower level of insulation and it appears that it seeped below the bottom plate of the framing, which can't be cleaned or sealed. This means the smell will keep coming back.

I don't think that this is covered under normal wear and tear, and that they should be responsible for fixing the issue in it's entirety (including under the framing). Am I out to lunch here?

killramos
05-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Cat piss is not wear and tear, renting 101

03ozwhip
05-10-2017, 05:01 PM
good luck. I've been through this and maybe worse with room mates and unless this person is very willing to do something for you, be prepared to lose this person as a friend and not get anything out of it.

to answer your question, it's more than acceptable to ask for them to repair it, just don't expect that it will happen. (hopefully it does)

max_boost
05-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
good luck. I've been through this and maybe worse with room mates and unless this person is very willing to do something for you, be prepared to lose this person as a friend and not get anything out of it.

to answer your question, it's more than acceptable to ask for them to repair it, just don't expect that it will happen. (hopefully it does) pretty much....

the question is, how much to fix? seems like a lot of work? :dunno:

Xtrema
05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

to answer your question, it's more than acceptable to ask for them to repair it, just don't expect that it will happen. (hopefully it does)

This.

All pets will do some damages to a degree. I hope you considered that when you picked your roommate.

J-hop
05-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

This.

All pets will do some damages to a degree. I hope you considered that when you picked your roommate.

I agree with this but only for cosmetic damages.

rx7boi
05-10-2017, 10:47 PM
If you have a cat that isn't litter trained, you're doing something wrong.

The_Rural_Juror
05-10-2017, 11:37 PM
Fur f sake. You should ask him to get a quote on the repairs right meow. I can't imagine living with the smell of a meowtain of poop.

riander5
05-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Your friend is a fucking scab

ercchry
05-10-2017, 11:58 PM
So many non-cat owners in here... cats are fucked, even good cats that use litter will piss in other places if feeling ill

You already let a cat in the house, the mess has been made, use google... find something that neutralizes cat piss and pour it on the affected area! Done!

Thank god it's an unfinished basement and not a hidden area of carpet and move on with your life

you&me
05-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
So many non-cat owners in here...

Uh, yeah... Isn't Beyond like 99% male posters?

ercchry
05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Uh, yeah... Isn't Beyond like 99% male posters?

And 98% of them are forever alone without a female in the house :poosie:

shakalaka
05-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Can see this going south real fast...

XylathaneGTR
05-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by you&me
Uh, yeah... Isn't Beyond like 99% male posters? Am male living alone. Have cat.

max_boost
05-11-2017, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
Am male living alone. Have cat. My cat is a good cat.

SportEL
05-11-2017, 01:16 PM
I'm male and I have a cat. The best thing is to get yours toilet trained like mine is.

killramos
05-11-2017, 01:20 PM
My wife has a cat? Hes a complete shithead. But he's my shithead :rofl:

bjstare
05-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

And 98% of them are forever alone without a female in the house :poosie:

So what subset of the 2% is like me and picked a woman smart enough to not get a cat?

:rofl:

JfuckinC
05-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Sweet, my GF and her cat are moving in this weekend lol :banghead:

msommers
05-11-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm totally a cat person but our cat, despite most of the time pissing in her litterbox, decided every once in awhile that she'd piss wherever she liked - especially the carpet. Reason #1 to not let pets in a rental.

Reason#2: Upon ownership of my condo I ripped out the entire flooring, industrially sealed the cement and put brand new flooring down. There will never be an animal in that house so help me God!

03ozwhip
05-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm totally a cat person but our cat, despite most of the time pissing in her litterbox, decided every once in awhile that she'd piss wherever she liked - especially the carpet. Reason #1 to not let pets in a rental.

Reason#2: Upon ownership of my condo I ripped out the entire flooring, industrially sealed the cement and put brand new flooring down. There will never be an animal in that house so help me God!
I said the same thing. now I have a brand new house but with a dog, no cats. no issues.

Feruk
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

So what subset of the 2% is like me and picked a woman smart enough to not get a cat?

:rofl:
I was part of the reason my girlfriend's cat is dead now. Girlfriend at the time, wife now. :eek:

CMW403
05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
seriously? litter training a cat is litterally (hehe) a three step process MAX.

most of the cats I have had I threw them in the litter box as a kitten every 15-20 minutes until they use said litter and POW, the cat is litterally litter trained.

tirebob
05-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Vinegar the shit out of everything. It does the best job at killing the amonia smell.

Fucking hate cats