PDA

View Full Version : SOMEONE PLEASE HELP 1997 Prelude Top End Making Noise

Matt @ Skye Service
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Getting a lot of top end noise from my 1997 honda prelude, I have recently had the valves adjusted but no fix. The car has 143,000 kms on it, and the engine seems to run smoothly and sound perfect when it is cold, but as the temperature rises, the noises does also. Can anyone suggest anything or direct me to a good H22 mechanic who can help me:confused:

Matt @ Skye Service
10-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Also the car has had a recent oil change with penziol 5W30

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
10-14-2004, 03:12 PM
ITS not the oil. its depending whether the mechanic set the valves properly or not. I had the same problem with my old one. They can be set with the car either at running temp. or absolutely cold, anywhere in the middle and your noise is still there!!

Matt @ Skye Service
10-15-2004, 08:42 PM
it was done by village honda, cold temp.

it doesn't sound like valve ticking, it sounds more like a really quiet diesel. also seems to be the loudest at 3000 RPM.

gonna try 5W50 synthetic and see if that helps any.

how did you get your noise to go away? :dunno:

Matt @ Skye Service
10-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Is anyone on this site going to help me?? Im sure one of you people might know what is wrong!:banghead:

Primer_Drift
10-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah I've had that on a 2001 lude, it was the timing belt tensioner. TnT honda diagnosed that one correctly, and replaced it under warranty. No more noise.

Gspotracer
10-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
Yeah I've had that on a 2001 lude, it was the timing belt tensioner. TnT honda diagnosed that one correctly, and replaced it under warranty. No more noise.

I had a similar issue on my 99, but changing the tensioner helped nothing, the T-belt was rubbing on the T-belt cover, Honda said this is a common problem with these engines, & often its just a warped T-belt cover caused by the heat of the engine.:dunno:

Matt @ Skye Service
10-19-2004, 02:58 PM
Great Thanks I really appreciate that, im going to check the tensioner as soon as I can get it into T&T, I will will keep you guys in touch.:clap:

403Gemini
10-19-2004, 03:12 PM
loud noise in high revs would be vtec ;) j/k

what exactally does the noise sound like? rumble? vibrating? scratching? and only when your in motion or you can be in neutral and push revs up there and you hear it?

89coupe
10-19-2004, 03:47 PM
LOL...I'm pretty sure what you're hearing is absolutely normal, just valve train noise.

Originally posted by pimped_up
it was done by village honda, cold temp.

it doesn't sound like valve ticking, it sounds more like a really quiet diesel. also seems to be the loudest at 3000 RPM.

gonna try 5W50 synthetic and see if that helps any.

how did you get your noise to go away? :dunno:

Gspotracer
10-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Did you recently have you timing belt changed? is it a rubbing, kinda squeeking sound, mine wouldn't do it til the engine warmed up either.

Matt @ Skye Service
10-19-2004, 07:51 PM
The Timing belt was changed about 40,000 kms ago, it does sound like Valve train noise, not ticking like valves would make, but more like a gumble rattle sound, If it was normal valve train noise, I dont understand why it only does it when the car is warm, I thought it would do it more when it is cold because the clearance is larger. The noise is so hard to describe,
Fin Boy has also heard the noise, it does not do it at all when it is cold, and the hotter the day the louder it gets, The car will do it when the is in both motion and standing still.

finboy
10-19-2004, 07:55 PM
i've never heard another honda that does the same, but i'm used to listening to civic's. it just seems to be running quite loud for a honda :dunno:

Primer_Drift
10-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Mine did the EXACT same thing, and it did sound like valves. It was there still after a valve adjustment, so I complained of top end noise to the service guys, and after another appointment (those who go to TnT know what getting appointment times with courtesy cars is like) they diagnosed it correctly.... so I needed another appointment to have it replaced. *sigh* Took damn near a month to have it done, but hey it was free :D

Gspotracer
10-20-2004, 01:34 AM
The Timing belt was changed about 40,000 kms ago, it does sound like Valve train noise, not ticking like valves would make, but more like a gumble rattle sound, If it was normal valve train noise, I dont understand why it only does it when the car is warm, I thought it would do it more when it is cold because the clearance is larger. The noise is so hard to describe,
Fin Boy has also heard the noise, it does not do it at all when it is cold, and the hotter the day the louder it gets, The car will do it when the is in both motion and standing still.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like the same problem I had:dunno:

Matt @ Skye Service
10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
So for you it was the tensioner, I know my car is not still under warranty, I wonder how much to replace that.

Gspotracer
10-20-2004, 03:42 PM
So for you it was the tensioner, I know my car is not still under warranty, I wonder how much to replace that.

I think the part was about $100+/-, however if you need to pay for labour it could get pricey since you have to basically remove you T-belt, I would make sure this is the problem before spending the money to get it done.(mine wasn't under warranty either):thumbsdow

Matt @ Skye Service
10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Scott!!! I had no Idea that was U!! Thanks fo the tips man (Primer_Drift)