PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Brokerage Fees (UPS et al)

Z_Fan
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
:)

EDIT: Moderator move to general, didn't mean to put this here.

There are a lot of posts on beyond.ca about UPS. Duty, GST and specifically brokerage fees seem to be the largest area of complaint.

Unfortunately, the opinion that brokerage fees are a 'scam' or 'ripoff' are largely formulated on ignorance of the process. They are very lucrative for the companies doing the brokerage work, that I would conceed. But they are not a 'racket'. Duty and GST are unavoidable, however, I will point out a way to 'cheat' on duty a little bit, if you wish to try. (See end of post)

DUTY AND GST (OUCH!)

"Other" shipping companies are still required to charge the same things for Duty and GST. Duty charges vary depending on the type of item you are importing. These are fixed percentages based on the amount and classification of the item. Please note that your government has established the rates applicable - not some shipping company. Duty and GST are not charges the shipping company is making up - they are actually charges from Canada Customs. The shipping companies merely collect this from you because they incurred these charges when they cleared the packages for you.

BROKERAGE FEES TOO... (UGH!)

The only variance in what you will pay to import your goods will be brokerage fees. But likely you will still pay brokerage fees of some level while it may vary from shipping company to shipping company. You may also find it increases based on the quantity and value of goods imported.

So, for all those people who don't understand how to NEVER PAY BROKERAGE FEES AGAIN, this post is special for you. Read on...

POWER OF ATTOURNEY

First, shipments to businesses are different than shipments to individuals. When you ship via UPS, UPS has a little thing called Power of Attourney over personal shipments. This gives them the ability to automatically clear your package through customs. They fill and file the paperwork, and charge you a brokerage fee.

For businesses, Power of Attourney is not automatically given to UPS. So, UPS will contact the business asking who the broker for the company is. Large businesses will likely have a brokerage company do the work. OR the business can fill out a form which will give Power of Attourney to UPS for purpose of clearing the package(s) through customs as another option.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS IMPORTANT

Whether your shipment is a personal thing, or a business thing, you have the option of "Self Clearing". What this means is that you are going to have to do the filling and filing of the paperwork yourself. In the case of a personal shipment, you MUST notify UPS as soon as you have the tracking number that you intend to self clear. In the case of a business, they will contact you - at which point you indicate you are going to self clear.

SELF CLEARING - THE BASICS

Once you have indicated that you are going to self clear...when your package 'arrives' at your shippers warehouse, they will prepare the necessary forms for self-clearing. You must then go to your shippers warehouse, and pick up these forms. You won't even require a pen! The forms are filled out already with the necessary information from the computer. So, off you go...

Once you have the clearing forms, you must then proceed to Canada Customs. (It's just off 32nd Avenue, N.E. - you turn left just before Staples, then right, then right in to the parking lot). This is handy, because pretty much all the shipping companies have warehouses just minutes away from this location.

Keep in mind you must be the person who the shipment is to, or you must be an individual with Power of Attourney over the Company if it is a business shipment.

Once you are inside, you will find a computer - and a book. The book contains all the line codes you may require to understand in order for you to fill out the forms correctly. Kind of like doing your taxes! (Same idea). When you have entered all the information, which will usually include ports of exit and port of entry, method of shipment, costs of goods, classification of goods, importer name, shipping costs, etc. The computer will then print out the finalized forms which will indicate how much you must pay in Duty and GST for your imported goods.

They have agents there who will then have a quick once over of your information, and then you will proceed to pay what you owe at the cash desk.

Once you have paid what you owe, your papers will be stamped "cleared". You return to your shipper with these papers, and they will retrieve your packages. You have just brokered your own packages, and have avoided brokerage fees completely.

SOUNDS LIKE TOO MUCH WORK

Then pay the damn brokerage fee and don't bitch! :rolleyes:

AS PROMISED, CHEATING THE SYSTEM

All goods imported in to Canada have different DUTY rates applied to them depending on the type of good. Even within the automotive realm, duty rates are not all the same. For example, importing a flywheel, may have a higher duty rate than say, 'automative transmission components' - now, you're just a silly chump filling out the forms, so if you know which areas require less duty, you can 'work' the system slightly to allow a lower rate of duty to be applied to your imported goods. You're only going to save a few percentage points. But it can be done. Uhm, and if for some reason what you are doing gets questioned, you'd be like :dunno: But more often than not, you're not going to be questioned unless you are completely re-classifying the goods.

Cheating the duty by a couple percentage points isn't the point of this thread. Completely removing brokerage fees is the point!

Hope some people find this helpful. If brokerage fees annoy you, this the way to avoid them. If you think it's easy, power to you. If you think, my god, why would I do that? Pay your brokerage fees but at least understand the process so you know what it is you are paying for...

Enjoy :D

xkon
10-21-2004, 12:20 PM
that reminds me i need to go there and pay them for my damned camera!!! I didnt know where it was though :)

Seanith
10-21-2004, 07:31 PM
Great post! And yes that sounds like its worth the effort.

nismodrifter
10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
great info!!!!!

Z_Fan
10-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Hopefully some people find this useful.

On a $2k purchase cleared through UPS versus a $2.3k purchase self-cleared. The UPS cleared version was $237.73 and the self-cleared one was $185.47.

So the higher value shipment was actually less to clear!

rage2
10-21-2004, 11:22 PM
For the lazy cheap ass like myself, if your company you work at ships a lot of stuff back and forth, they might have better brokerage rates through 3rd party companies, and it'd be cheap for you to ship stuff to your work, and reimburse your work. Works well for me, since I'm at work really more than I'm at home.

If you HAVE to use UPS or Fedex, depending on price of item, it might be cheaper to ship it next day international instead. Brokerage fees are included and paid by the shipper with this service.

The other option is to ship through Canada Post if you can handle the wait ($5 flat rate regardless of cost of item). The biggest problem with Canada Post is that if your shipper doesn't ship with the proper invoices, they don't call you, they MAIL you (5 business days) requesting paperwork. Then you fax them, and 5 business days later the item is cleared and sent to you. Worst case scenario for me was 5 weeks to get an item because of this problem.

DHL seems to be really good too, I've had a couple overnight and ground shipments with a $5 flat rate brokerage fee. Not terribly expensive items ($200usd), so the $5 may not be a flat rate because my items weren't expensive enough. If anyone else has experience with DHL brokerage fees, please post your experience here.

Redlyne_mr2
10-21-2004, 11:27 PM
Another simple and effective method is having the item shipped by greyhound to Great Falls or any other Montana border town then driving down there and picking it up. its only a 3 hour drive. Totally worth it on big purchases

Toms-SC
10-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Man, maybe I just got it lucky but though FedEx I payed a little under $40 CAN for a Supercharger and Inlet Plenum to be shipped from some hick place in the states. :D I feel the best way to avoid really high shipping fees is to avoid UPS. :)

SUPRAPHAT
10-22-2004, 03:27 AM
Or you could just ask the sender to mark the package down to $15 or less and UPS will not charge you brokerage fees!

All they have to do is make a reciept that says it's worth $15 instead of whayever amount it supposed to be.

Has worked for me everytime. Or if it's big ticket item(like 1-5K)
just have it overnighted and then they don't charge you brokerage.

I bought two turbos at the same time(worth $2600 U.S.) and my options were to sned it regular through UPS ad have to fully insure it and pay duties and brokerage(I think they said the total for the two would be $145) plus the $60 some dollars to actually ship them. Or I could over night it for $160 and not have to worry about paying the brokerage fees and not having to worry about it getting lost or anything and it was on your door step the next day.

Just an idea.

Jason

Khyron
10-22-2004, 08:32 AM
I don't think anyone was bitching about brokerage fees in general - more about how UPS gouges you compared to every other shipper.

At my old work we used UPS for national shipping, but if it crossed the border we used FedX. With multi million dollar accounts, the fact that we were willing to deal with the hassle of having 2 shipping companies should tell you something about UPS international.

Best for personal crap is USPS isn't it?

Khyron

Z_Fan
10-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Toms-SC

If you imported a super charger, and didn't pay duty & GST, well, you're damn lucky! In fact, wonder why/how that happened?

SUPRAPHAT

Just the GST alone should have been about $280. (Assuming your turbos were worth $4k CDN. Plus duty, plus brokerage. Yeah, you should have paid about $400 for that purchase.

Example, one of my orders for my car recently was $8.1k CDN. The GST, Duty and Brokerage fees totalled $993.94. CDN. So it put the purchase over $9k. :eek:

Nice.

Brokerage is a small amount to worry about when you have GST and Duty as a certain fixed cost when importing.

Ben
10-22-2004, 10:36 AM
I would also recommend DHL.

Fantastic company.

Z_Fan
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
My most recent experience with DHL went just like this.

Needed some more car parts (of course) and needed them fast. Ordered them Wednesday around noon. Shipped from California at 4:30PM. (Aired it)

Decided I'd track it online. Next morning (at 8AM) I check the tracking and it is in Calgary waiting for customs clearance. Self cleared it and had my stuff by noon.

DHL rocks.

Toms-SC
10-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
Toms-SC

If you imported a super charger, and didn't pay duty & GST, well, you're damn lucky! In fact, wonder why/how that happened?

I wish I knew! It was written down for the proper amount, it was written as an 'airpump' in the discription. I was thinking maybe due to it being christmas when I got it there may have been an accounting error. :)

SUPRAPHAT
10-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
SUPRAPHAT

Just the GST alone should have been about $280. (Assuming your turbos were worth $4k CDN. Plus duty, plus brokerage. Yeah, you should have paid about $400 for that purchase.

Example, one of my orders for my car recently was $8.1k CDN. The GST, Duty and Brokerage fees totalled $993.94. CDN. So it put the purchase over $9k. :eek:

Nice.

Brokerage is a small amount to worry about when you have GST and Duty as a certain fixed cost when importing.

Well sense it was guarenteed to not got lost(basically) since it was being overnighted, we told the shipper to mark it down to $100 per turbo. This way we avoided most of the GST and dutie charges. Sorry, I was tired last night and forgot to mention that.

Overall it was the best option, atleast in my eyes.

But generally just get it sent through USPS if you want to avoid all th brokerage fees.

Jason

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-22-2004, 03:02 PM
great post, bump to the top!

QuasarCav
10-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Thought I's post this here:

Called the customs office to see why my package was taking so long. I guess the Vancouver office is backed up about 50 days and the Winnipeg office is no better. something to do with rotating walkouts.

So I guess I'll be waiting a whole lot longer:(

QuasarCav
11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Bump: where the hell is my package?

It was shipped out on Oct 8th and the guy used USPS. He had a 4000 trader rating and seemed like a good guy, should I be worried?

I've e-mailed him but that was no help, Is there anyone else I can call? Customs? The Canada post?

TIA

NP Aaron
11-09-2004, 11:51 PM
I am still waiting on an order that shipped out via USPS on OCT 4th. Give it another week or two...the customs back log has really slowed things down. FWIW the last USPS package that arrived here took over a month.:zzz:

Aaron

googe
11-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Airborne Express and DHL are both great. Fast as anything else, and a $5 flat brokerage fee.

Khyron
11-10-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm having a sword shipped from the US - the guy told me to expect 12-16 weeks wait due to how slow customs is (Japan->US then US-Can).

I thought the USPS had a tracking system for the larger items now?

Khyron

QuasarCav
11-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Well I feel a little better that I'm not the only one.

Next time I'll put down the extra cash for it to get here in less than 6 weeks.

Zero102
11-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Another simple and effective method is having the item shipped by greyhound to Great Falls or any other Montana border town then driving down there and picking it up. its only a 3 hour drive. Totally worth it on big purchases

Redlyne!! SHHH!! That's my top secret plan!! LOL.
It seems like a really good idea to me, I'll let you guys know how it works out. Greyhound is the cheapest way to ship anything big (I have fenders, a hood, belly pans, etc coming from California), so that's why it's going via greyhound. UPS wanted over $300 to ship it all, FedEx was $425, and everybody else was around $400.
With Greyhound it will be $86US, and whatever it costs me to drive down there and get it (Err whatever it costs Ryan to drive me down there and get it!).

Great to know about self-clearing with UPS, I always bitch about their brokerage gouging. I wonder, can you do the same with FedEx?

Somebody mentioned flat $5 brokerage with DHL, is that for ANY package? If that's the case, then all my medium-sized things will be shipped DHL from now on!!

shadow
11-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Good post... . I forgot how much ups charges to broker items.
I just got a 40 dollar item from the U.S. and they charged me 30 bucks for brokering... it used to be lower... I guess I will take the easy route and ask people who they use to ship before buying crap. =P

Thanks for the info.

benyl
11-25-2004, 10:43 AM
I don't know if this was mentioned here, but you have to be at the port of entry to do this.

I just ordered a package from Seattle and it entered Canada in Vancouver. The only way for me to self clear is to goto Vancouver.

I am pissed that I am being charged $35 for a $60CDN item. Fuck it, I am going to call and complain and complain to UPS.

Johnny@CustomAuto
11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Great post. All that information is all true!!

I agree with the poster who said aviod UPS if you want to avoid high brokerage fees. I find they charge the most as well. USPS/Canada Post usually charges $5.00 for brokerage.

As for DHL, they are a good company (when they get their shit together). I've had headaches with them, but nothing in this world is perfect I guess.

For poster who said mark the item worth less than it is... well that is illegal. I am not saying don't do it. I am just telling you. If you they inspect your package, and they feel it's worth more than it is, you will be fined.

benyl
11-25-2004, 11:55 AM
I am just going to refuse the package when it gets here. I will get them to ship it Fed Ex, or USPS.

djfob
11-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I am just going to refuse the package when it gets here. I will get them to ship it Fed Ex, or USPS.

hmm never heard much about fedex...how are they for shipping from the U.S?

SUPRAPHAT
11-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Johnny@CustomAuto
For poster who said mark the item worth less than it is... well that is illegal. I am not saying don't do it. I am just telling you. If you they inspect your package, and they feel it's worth more than it is, you will be fined.

Well, that is true, but if you have a fake reciept made up from the seller(usually a company or shop) then they cannot question the value of the package.

This year I ordered all the parts required for 3 different full builds for some members of our supra club and have not had a single issue as long as you stick to the guildlines that I posted earlier.

Generally, just don't ship through UPS, problem solved.

Jason

SUPRAPHAT
11-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by djfob

hmm never heard much about fedex...how are they for shipping from the U.S?

Fedex is almost as bad as UPS, they just send you the bill a month later.

Jason

Skylinelover
11-25-2004, 04:51 PM
May have been answered didn't read the hole thing, but lets say I get a bodykit from a company but the guy ships it from his house. Will I have to pay duty?

Also, If I payed nothing for the item(s) will I still have to pay duty? Or would he have to mark it as a gift?

googe
08-03-2005, 03:05 AM
bump, anyone tried this since?

benyl
08-03-2005, 07:28 AM
yeah, I tried it a few months ago. Unless you are in Winnepeg or Vancouver, you can't do it. You can send a proxy.

In calgary, you only get air shipments... it will save you $5-$10

googe
08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
yeah i was told you cant do it if youre not at the port of entry too, but i know some people that have done it here before. maybe things changed?

Seks
08-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Someone please sticky this thread