Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics

Shaw HDTV PVR for $99 (new AND existing customers) - Click HERE for Original Thread

rage2
Confirmed that this deal works for new and existing customers. The CSR's on the phone are not aware of this, so you have to go to Shaw Court to get this deal.

Go there with an old (broken whatever) Bell or Starchoice receiver. Tell them you want to do the Satellite trade in deal. They'll take your old satellite receiver, and give you either the HDTV DTC for free, or the HDTV PVR for $99.

Perfect for you guys that have HDTV's and Shaw, and want real HDTV content on your TV's! At $99, there's no excuse not to get HDTV heh. That and PVR functionality!

BTW - the HD package with shaw is free. As long as you subscribe to digital cable (any package), The 6 HD channels are free.
Melinda
I was gonna post a thread on HDTV today but hopefully I can go off topic a tiny bit so I dont need to make a new thread?

We have an HDTV ready TV but we havent bought the reciever or anything to actually get it working. My brother and I want to get this done for my dad for xmas (get the reciever, arrange for whatever needs to be hooked up, paid for ect) What do I need to do and how much would it cost?? I'm totall lost on this issue
rage2
First you need the receiver.

$399 for the Shaw HDTV DTC
or
$499 for the Shaw HDTV PVR

-$400 if you have an old ExpressVu or Starchoice receiver to give them for trade in.

Next, you need the service.

$40 setup fee from Shaw if you're a new customer (you'll get $150 credit in ppv and stuff)
$45.95/month for basic digital cable package
$0 for HD package
tc3
how did u find this out?!? I never heard about it...if it's true, that's an incredible deal!!
Inzane
Hmm.... a nice attractive deal, but I think I'll wait and see what Bell ExpressVu eventually does for an HDTV receiver + PVR.

I kinda pride myself in having a totally SHAW-FREE household now and don't plan to go back to them if I can avoid it.
:guns:
redec
Originally posted by Inzane
but I think I'll wait and see what Bell ExpressVu eventually does for an HDTV receiver + PVR.

you may be waiting for a while....last I heard they had been working on an HDPVR but they've scrapped the project until the technology matures. afaik there are no plans to release a bell HD PVR in the immediatly forseeable future.

sputnik
Can you use a non HDTV (4:3 CRT) with the HDTV+PVR box since most of the signals are analog anyways?
Xtrema
^ You may but why? You won't gain anything over standard PVR/cable box.
itsalebaron
I have talked to several people .. a few actaully AT SHaw Court, and they tell me the only deal they run is for a swap of a satellite reciever for a regular cable box, and then towards credit for an HD or HD PVR. The HD would be an additional $200 and the PVR $300. So if you could please provide us with soem cantact infromation that would be great, because noone seems to have any knowledge about this deal. :confused:
sputnik
Originally posted by Xtrema
^ You may but why? You won't gain anything over standard PVR/cable box.

Is there a non HD cable box that has a PVR?

Xtrema
Originally posted by sputnik

Is there a non HD cable box that has a PVR?

True, $99 for standard channel PVR is still pretty sweet.

rage2
Originally posted by redec
you may be waiting for a while....last I heard they had been working on an HDPVR but they've scrapped the project until the technology matures. afaik there are no plans to release a bell HD PVR in the immediatly forseeable future.

:werd:

The HD PVR (Dish921 based) is indeed scrapped. BEV still tells people that it's coming though. The only evidence of the HD PVR was in an internal Bell newsletter way back in July.

Oddly enough, the 921 (bell version's) beta firmware is still sent down the datastream, so some high level executives and engineers must have 'em at home :D.

sputnik
Originally posted by Xtrema

True, $99 for standard channel PVR is still pretty sweet.

Is that a yes or a no?

rage2
Originally posted by sputnik
Can you use a non HDTV (4:3 CRT) with the HDTV+PVR box since most of the signals are analog anyways?

Yes you can. You gain 1 advantage, and that's seeing your network shows in widescreen format because it's broadcast that way in HD.

CSI's in widescreen :thumbsup:.

Khyron
Originally posted by itsalebaron
I have talked to several people .. a few actaully AT SHaw Court, and they tell me the only deal they run is for a swap of a satellite reciever for a regular cable box, and then towards credit for an HD or HD PVR. The HD would be an additional $200 and the PVR $300. So if you could please provide us with soem cantact infromation that would be great, because noone seems to have any knowledge about this deal. :confused:

Bump for this. Anyone selling an old sat receiver btw? :D

Khyron

tc3
Originally posted by itsalebaron

Any answer to this??
thx

rage2
Ask to talk to a supervisor. A whole whack of people got the $400 rebate with an old receiver. One guy got a HD receiver for free and a PVR for $99 with 2 old evu receivers. I know 2 people that got the HD pvr for $99.
rlde.us
aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

i just got shaw cable, as a new customer on monday night, and i gave an old bell receiver and all I got was a digital box. I need to go see if I can swap that digital box for the hdtv pvr and pay $99.
itsalebaron
Originally posted by rlde.us
aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

i just got shaw cable, as a new customer on monday night, and i gave an old bell receiver and all I got was a digital box. I need to go see if I can swap that digital box for the hdtv pvr and pay $99.

I went in today and then called and spoke to various people including supervisors, and they all outline the deal your recieved. Is there any documented advertisments or anything we could reference this to other then "my friend said his friend got this deal when he traded in this" ......kinda thing? I know rage isn't trying to give us the run around or anything, but it's honestly a waste of time, without conctrete proof of the offer.

rlde.us
Ya, I *just* phoned, they talked to a supervisor, phoned me back. and the only thing I can do, is take my digital box back, pay $300 and get the hdtv pvr.

which might not be a bad deal, but thats alot of money. especially since they still dont have time shifting, i might have to hook up the bell also and have both till my free shaw runs out.
rage2
It's not documented anywhere on Shaw's site. I read about it on another forum, and told a few people about it, and they all said it worked. What you're supposed to ask for is the satellite exchange program.

Here's the link to some details.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/fo...ead.php?t=16385

The prices on that link is outdated, the 6200 and the 6208 (HD DTC and HD PVR) dropped by $300 recently, therefore it's $0 and $100 for the receivers.

A lot of CSR's don't know about it because it isn't advertised.
rlde.us
does it matter what model of bell or star choice receiver I turn in?
i gave them an old 1000 bell rec (didnt even work) to get the basic digital box.

I want that hdtv pvr from shaw. I could grab a star choice rec perhaps for cheap if that would help me out.
rage2
It doesn't matter what receiver you have, they'll give you the $400 credit towards any receiver. The CSR's on the phone seems to know NOTHING about the deal. The people I know went down to Shaw court and said others they knew got the deal, after talking to supervisors, they traded in 3 receivers between 2 people for $400 credit each. This was on Monday.

This offer's been around for quite some time, but it's not advertised anywhere. The link I posted dates back to October.
Jynx
Can u trade in a non hdtv shaw cable terminal and get the hdtv one for 99?
Neil4Speed
Originally posted by Jynx

same question lol, I would love to get the PVR

sexualbanana
Originally posted by Jynx

I think you pay the $99 if you exchange a satellite receiver. Reason being that since satellite is their biggest competitor, they're trying to increase the penetration of their digital cable PVR.

In the case of existing customers, I think Rage already said you just pay $400 for the box

bart
is this still on by any chance? :)
GoChris
Originally posted by bart
is this still on by any chance? :)

nope, but I got mine a year ago for $200 as a new customer.

the thing is that price was for the single tuner, they now have the dual tuner so no way that would go for $99, or even $200 I bet.

rtsen
Quick question about High Definition TV and channels.

I hear HDTV + HD channel is unreal but with HDTV + analog signal, the picture is worst than a CRT + analog.

If this is true how does the HDTV + regular digital channel (non HD) compare with CRT + analog?

If the picture is worse than I don't really see a reason to get HDTV other than DVD movies since there are only a limited HD channels offered.
Xtrema
Originally posted by rtsen
If the picture is worse than I don't really see a reason to get HDTV other than DVD movies since there are only a limited HD channels offered.

It really depends on the analog tuner quality of your TV. My TV's analog tuner looks way better than the Happuage in my PC.

But this would be pointless anyway since your HDTV tuner's sole purpose is watching HD content, everything else is just pointless extras.

kaput
I find that analog cable looks worse on my HDTV then on my 30 year old POS. So I have both set up right now and just use the HDTV for movies and computer games until I bother to get an HD cable setup.
e7c
is there any further details to this other than rage's friends did such and such? I called shaw here in Winnipeg and they said $200 trade-in, not $400. also, they said the hdpvr is $750, with $250 in ppv for new customers only
dodad
I got shaw hooked up yesterday and asked about ...

Can i give you my old satellite equitment and you give me hdtv receiver for $99?

NO

Well then whats the deal?

I will give you regular digital box for 99.99 wwith trade in
Khyron
Got Bell hd pvr on Friday - normal shows look better because the tv auto adjusts the aspect (I just had normal cable before so no dvi cable box) and HD stuff looks a lot better. Very pleased!

Khyron
e7c
Originally posted by dodad
I got shaw hooked up yesterday and asked about ...

Can i give you my old satellite equitment and you give me hdtv receiver for $99?

NO

Well then whats the deal?

I will give you regular digital box for 99.99 wwith trade in

lol, shaw sells regular digital box for $60 here without trade-in

WHAT'S GOING ON!

navdeep
i got a HDTV receiver for free i went and got a start choice one for 70$ went to shaw and got the HDTV for free i told them i dont want 3months free so they give it to me for free just call saw and talk to them over the phone and get them to write a note in your account and go to shaw and then will look it up it will work that way the people that work there if you go in person are bitchs
dodad
Originally posted by navdeep
i got a HDTV receiver for free i went and got a start choice one for 70$ went to shaw and got the HDTV for free i told them i dont want 3months free so they give it to me for free just call saw and talk to them over the phone and get them to write a note in your account and go to shaw and then will look it up it will work that way the people that work there if you go in person are bitchs

umm sounds interesting...

Xtrema
Sometime I wondering calling in to cancel all shaw services (tell them switching to Bell/3web) and see what kind of special they'll throw in to keep you.
b_t
so if I already have the HDTV PVR for shaw, could I take that one back and get my $300?
navdeep
take it to best buy or something they will take the pvr back but give u full money on a gift card
dodad
I talked to a supervisor today and yet still got the brush off. I asked and asked and finially got an anwser of which they'll give me 100 for any reciever i bring in and that will go towards $577 pvr box
navdeep
you just have to keep calling and talk to someone different i had to do it 3times be they said ya thy will do it
Bill Cosby
i just got the shaw digital cable service with every single channel minus hustler.. jw.. what channel are the HD channels?.. i have an hdtv and wanna see something beautiful!
Xtrema
Originally posted by Bill Cosby
i just got the shaw digital cable service with every single channel minus hustler.. jw.. what channel are the HD channels?.. i have an hdtv and wanna see something beautiful!

I think 301 and up (to 308 ?)

Standard digital terminal won't do HD signals.

navdeep
its 301 to 309
Khyron
Just a caveat for those jumping on the Bell bandwagon - I got mine installed on Friday but am having signal loss and losing channels, and they won't send a guy out for another 8 days. Shaw has a lot better service than that last time I checked, but maybe they are all crap?

Khyron
tc3
Originally posted by dodad
I talked to a supervisor today and yet still got the brush off. I asked and asked and finially got an anwser of which they'll give me 100 for any reciever i bring in and that will go towards $577 pvr box

u should get a $200 credit for a sat receiver, plus 3 mths free!!!
PM me if u want to do that, I can set it up. AS LONG as u are a new DIGITAL cust.
TC

tc3
Originally posted by b_t
so if I already have the HDTV PVR for shaw, could I take that one back and get my $300?

R u looking to get rid of/sell yours?

e7c
is it possible to buy the same motorola pvr thing from like ebay or something, and use it on the shaw system? or is it fairly proprietary?
tc3
Originally posted by e7c
is it possible to buy the same motorola pvr thing from like ebay or something, and use it on the shaw system? or is it fairly proprietary?

No, It has to be from Shaw.

bart
or from futureshop, etc...
tc3
Originally posted by bart
or from futureshop, etc...

Yes, as long as it is Shaw specific. It can't be from another cable system. IE rogers or comcast etc...

umreeka91
im going to bump this, does shaw still offer a deal of this sort? I have an old DISHNET receiver id like to trade in, as well as a digital receiver from shaw.. for a HD non PVR most likely..!
GoChris
Originally posted by umreeka91
im going to bump this, does shaw still offer a deal of this sort? I have an old DISHNET receiver id like to trade in, as well as a digital receiver from shaw.. for a HD non PVR most likely..!

nope. well they might have a trade in deal, but you most certainly will not get the hdtv pvr for $99. I did a trade in deal 1.5+ years ago and got the box for about $2-300 or so.

umreeka91

thank you hussein, i printed it out, i will take it to them tommorow and ask them to maybe take 200 off of the price of the HD receiver, or better still call them and ask them to put a note on my account. I have an old DNET receiver lying around :D, tks for the feedback guys

Thaco
quote from shaw's site
"You provide the Receiver, Controller, card and Dish, and we will exchange it for one DCT 2500 for FREE" "You must own your current satellite equipment and it must be removed from your home."

i wonder how sticky they are on this.
umreeka91
Originally posted by Thaco
quote from shaw's site
"You provide the Receiver, Controller, card and Dish, and we will exchange it for one DCT 2500 for FREE" "You must own your current satellite equipment and it must be removed from your home."

i wonder how sticky they are on this.

just called SHAW has nothing to do with this at all, its a third party, and you MUST be a NEW shaw customer, great deal for new customers, however you have to be NEW...there is no way around that :( crap!

Thaco
Originally posted by umreeka91

just called SHAW has nothing to do with this at all, its a third party, and you MUST be a NEW shaw customer, great deal for new customers, however you have to be NEW...there is no way around that :( crap!

sure there is, call their retentions dept, tell them you'd liek to cancel and you'll sign up again tomorrow to be a "new customer", usually they'll make you the same deal.

Or tell them you want to switch to another provider because they'll offer you that deal, generally they'll make it happen.

umreeka91

sure there is, call their retentions dept, tell them you'd liek to cancel and you'll sign up again tomorrow to be a "new customer", usually they'll make you the same deal.

Or tell them you want to switch to another provider because they'll offer you that deal, generally they'll make it happen.

number?

Thaco
Just call and say you wnat to cancel your service, they'll forward you to their retentions dept.
umreeka91
Just call and say you wnat to cancel your service, they'll forward you to their retentions dept.

nope they didnt give me terminal trade in, they were able to give me 120 for the DCT-2000 :D, as well as give me free previews for a few months and they even threw in a few PPV movies :D :D, aweeeesome!!

tks Thaco!

slick2404
^hey sounds like a good deal where you a regular shaw customer with cable TV and upgraded to digital?

I was thinkin about goin to star choice, but if this sounds cheaper I might just do that.

Details of what you said and what you had before please!
umreeka91
Originally posted by slick2404
^hey sounds like a good deal where you a regular shaw customer with cable TV and upgraded to digital?

I was thinkin about goin to star choice, but if this sounds cheaper I might just do that.

Details of what you said and what you had before please!

no i was an existing customer, with the student promotion, i save about 50 bucks a month, i went on financing for the receiver (14/mo for 3 years), its expensive but its worth it for HD IMHO!!

hussein
Do you have any more information on the student plan? THX
HondaRice
is this still on?
analbumcover
*nudge nudge* * yo dude wake up *, dude.. wake up * you've been sleeping for 3 years *

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog