PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Traffic Fines And Demerits

NickGT
12-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Recently recieved a newsletter from the Alberta Construction Safety Association listing a number of Traffic Fines and Demerits associated with them. Thought I'd share it. If anything is inaccurate, I'll gladly change it.

Fail to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk - $575.00 - 4 Demerits
Stop Sign Violation - $287.00 - 3 Demerits
Fail to stop at a red light - $287.00 - 3 Demerits
Fail to obey traffic control device - $172.00 - 3 Demerits
Illegal U-Turn - $115.00 - 2 Demerits
Fail to signal lane change - $115.00 - 2 Demerits
Speeding 15km/h over limit - $89.00 - 2 Demerits
20km/h over limit - $124.00 - 3 Demerits
25km/h over limit - $150.00 - 3 Demerits
30km/h over limit - $177.00 - 4 Demerits
40km/h over limit - $264.00 - 4 Demerits
50km/h over limit - $351.00 - 6 Demerits
Over 50km/h - Mandatory Court Appearance
Careless Driving - $402.00 - 6 Demerits
Race on highway - $402.00 - 6 Demerits
Follow to close - $172.00 - 4 Demerits
Unsafe left turn - $115.00 - 2 Demerits
Fail to back up safely - $115.00 - 2 Demerits
Passing school bus violation - $402.00 - 6 Demerits
Driver/Passenger not wearing seat belt - $115.00
Fail to produce documents - $172.00
Display expired licence plate - $230.00
Vehicle equipment violation - $115.00

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by NickGT

Fail to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk - $575.00 - 4 Demerits

I hope the jay walking fine is the same, and equally enforced

FiveFreshFish
12-23-2004, 02:21 PM
What's the fine for failing to remain at the scene of an accident?

DUBBED
12-23-2004, 02:24 PM
^^^ You mean hit & run? Or like witness failure to remain at scene?

DayGlow
12-23-2004, 02:54 PM
fail to remain at a scene of an accident is an automatic court appearance.

There is no law that says a witness must remain or give a statement.

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
There should be additional fines for anyone that causes an accident that blocks traffic. I'me sure that everytime deerfoot get jammed for a few hours, there are big $$$ lost for calgarians, and calgary businesses.

Weapon_R
12-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
fail to remain at a scene of an accident is an automatic court appearance.

There is no law that says a witness must remain or give a statement.

How does the "failing to yield to a pedestrian" law work?

What if he's halfway crossed, does that allow you to pass the crosswalk?

Can this ticket be given in areas that are not designated crosswalks?

Tyler883
12-23-2004, 04:05 PM
There should be an extra fine for stupidity leading to an accident - LOL

FiveFreshFish
12-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What if he's halfway crossed, does that allow you to pass the crosswalk?

AFAIK, you're not supposed to proceed until the pedestrian has reached the other side. Look downtown and this never happens. Can you imagine how badly traffic will be during rush hour if turning cars waited for pedestrians to get all the way across?

Exception is when there is a median, you can go when the pedestrian reaches it.

DayGlow
12-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Tyler883
There should be additional fines for anyone that causes an accident that blocks traffic. I'me sure that everytime deerfoot get jammed for a few hours, there are big $$$ lost for calgarians, and calgary businesses.

They do. They recieve a bill from the Fire Department when their trucks have to go to the scene.

cmcl32
01-17-2005, 11:28 AM
With regards to demerits and the new insurance laws... I rec'd a ticket for failure to yield to a pedetrian in crosswalk, what does this now do to my insurance with the new guidelines set up by ralphy? Can anyone help I'm really scared my insurance will be cancelled.

brandon
01-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Speeding 15km/h over limit - $89.00 - 3 Demerits

im pretty sure that is 2 demerits

Speed_69
01-17-2005, 12:33 PM
if i am the driver and one of my passenger's is not wearing a seat belt....do i get the ticket or does the passenger?

iblizzard
01-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I seem to recall hearing that having a median doesn't matter at all. I may be wrong, but I thought I heard that they have to clear the ENTIRE road.

JeremyD
01-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
if i am the driver and one of my passenger's is not wearing a seat belt....do i get the ticket or does the passenger?

I think it depends on who the passenger is. If it is one of your buddies then they will get the ticket because they are responsible enough to obey the law on their own. If it is a child then it is your responsibility to make sure they are buckled up.

but i could be wrong.

AllGoNoShow
05-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Slight update....

Speeding 15km/h over is now $110 I'm assumng, atleast thats what my yellow one says for doing 17 over.

dansmith11
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by iblizzard

I seem to recall hearing that having a median doesn't matter at all. I may be wrong, but I thought I heard that they have to clear the ENTIRE road.

well i dunno if c-train tracks count as a median, but i know my buddy got a ticket for going after a pedestrian had gotten to the other side of the tracks. obviously far enough away to not get hit, still got the ticket.

Traffic_Cop
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Slight update....

Speeding 15km/h over is now $110 I'm assumng, atleast thats what my yellow one says for doing 17 over.

Then your ticket correctly states the fine, you were 17 over not 15. 15 over is 89.00

This is nothing new, this law (TSA) has been in effect sine May 2003.

If you read the notice Re:- received a ticket??....this explains things perfectly.

Khyron
05-22-2006, 06:33 PM
I think it's 15 or younger, driver is responsible for the pass seatbelt. 16 or over it's their ticket (going from memory).

And the pedestrian is definately once across street, or crossed a definate median.

Khyron

AllGoNoShow
05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
aaa ok thanks mr. blue, looked it over again and figured it out.

Crymson
05-23-2006, 11:03 AM
You're forgetting the hidden ticket costs, and that's the automatic insurance surcharges.

I think you need 3 "regular" traffic violations before you see a surcharge, but any violation in a school/playground zone, construction zone, or pedestrial fairway -- as well as infractions involving racing,stunting, and the likes, come with automatic surcharges to your insurance that last for 5 years (could be 3, not entirely sure).

I think the racing, jackassbehavior, surcharges are 50%, and the "getting a ticket in some type of zone" are 15% a year.

So, your 500$ not waiting for the pedestrian to cross the street ticket will bump your insurance up, i think, 15 or 25% for 5 years. So watch out.

/////AMG
05-23-2006, 11:18 AM
So for example if someone gets caught doing this:
Fail to signal lane change - $115.00 - 2 Demerits

They get the fine and points?

If so :thumbsup:

Traffic_Cop
05-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...unless they get an R/O deal.

Dren
05-26-2006, 11:14 AM

i second that !

rc2002
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Anyone know the demerits associated witih going 10km/h over? That's what my last ticket was.

JspecB16
05-26-2006, 11:22 AM
heres one for ya:

I got a ticket delivered to my house for careless driving. Appearently I cut someone off on the road, they called the cops, gave them my plate, filed a statement of what I did, and the cops gave me a $402.00 ticket for something they didn't see and I don't even recall!!! That real fair. So if I don't like somebody for whatever reason, I can just say they cut me off really bad and the cops will issue them a ticket for $402.00 cause I said so.....?

?????
05-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Can this ticket be given in areas that are not designated crosswalks?

Yeah it can basically any corner of a sidewalk can be an unmarked crosswalk and the ticket is around $100 less with less demerits i think.

Originally posted by Speed_69

Originally posted by Khyron
I think it's 15 or younger, driver is responsible for the pass seatbelt. 16 or over it's their ticket (going from memory).

I'm pretty sure thats correct too.

/////AMG
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...unless they get an R/O deal.

R/O means....?

yellowsnow
05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by JspecB16
heres one for ya:

I got a ticket delivered to my house for careless driving. Appearently I cut someone off on the road, they called the cops, gave them my plate, filed a statement of what I did, and the cops gave me a $402.00 ticket for something they didn't see and I don't even recall!!! That real fair. So if I don't like somebody for whatever reason, I can just say they cut me off really bad and the cops will issue them a ticket for $402.00 cause I said so.....?

Go to court. Once you plead not guilty, it's up to the prosecutor to prove that you're guilty. So the person who called you out will have to come in and provide evidence that he/she saw you cutting them off. if not, it should be thrown out.

JspecB16
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow

Go to court. Once you plead not guilty, it's up to the prosecutor to prove that you're guilty. So the person who called you out will have to come in and provide evidence that he/she saw you cutting them off. if not, it should be thrown out.

I am going to but it sucks that I have to either hire a lawyer or go downtown myself and plead not guilty then go downtown again for the trial. It is just a pain in the ass that I have to deal with because some asshole said I did something, that I don't even think I did. I don't drive like an idiot, might drive fast at times (not in res areas) but I am 21 and been driving since I turned 16 with a perfect absract. this is my first ticket. pretty fucking gay huh?

rony_espana
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
wow, fines have gone way up. I remember my first ticket was not stopping completely at a stop sign, and it was only like 50-60 bucks. Now its $287.00 :eek:

DayGlow
05-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by JspecB16

I am going to but it sucks that I have to either hire a lawyer or go downtown myself and plead not guilty then go downtown again for the trial. It is just a pain in the ass that I have to deal with because some asshole said I did something, that I don't even think I did. I don't drive like an idiot, might drive fast at times (not in res areas) but I am 21 and been driving since I turned 16 with a perfect absract. this is my first ticket. pretty fucking gay huh?

Turn it around though. You are fine outstanding citizen and feel you witness something dangerous done on the road that almost caused you to have a collision. You feel strong about it and are willing to go to court to state what you saw. The cops won't give you the time of day. Why? You area strong, moral person and would never do something unless you felt very strongly about it. Very little crime would ever be dealt with if the requirement is that a cop has to see it happen. Why should it be different for a driving offense, but other, more serious crime a witness can be used?

That's why it goes to court, for a Judge to determine through the evidence given what a reasonable person would believe to have happenned.

rc2002
05-26-2006, 02:46 PM
I had that happen to me before. I got called in for speeding and had 3 cruisers waiting for me at home.

I ended up getting a ticket for not having my latest insurance slip and then they sent me on my way. They didn't give me a ticket for speeding though. I'm just speculating, but I figure it's because they couldn't prove it. In the end it's just my word against someone else's and since I had a clean record it probably wouldn't stand. I'm pretty sure you'll get off if you fight it unless they have some good evidence against you. I'm sure they would also take the word of an off duty officer who called it in and is willing to testify.

harley11
05-26-2006, 05:13 PM

GOOD ONE!!!

slick2404
05-26-2006, 05:27 PM
is there a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving now in calgary? I've beeing hearing mixed answers, anyone know for sure?

Traffic_Cop
05-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
is there a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving now in calgary? I've beeing hearing mixed answers, anyone know for sure?

Nope, however if you are not paying attention and weaving across the road, or failing to make correct lane changes & failing to signal, you can be fined $402.00 for careless driving.

billy36
06-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Some of these tickets actually worth more than my car lol

Just out of curiousty, what happens if u don't pay, do u loose ur car, ur liscense plate, ur driver's license or do u actualy get a prison sentence.

And by the way, not having a third party liability insurance will get u a $3,000 ticket. Even if ur car was parked in a street (has to be off road) :eek:

Traffic_Cop
06-01-2006, 08:00 PM
If you dont pay a regular traffic ticket, the province will give you an additional surcharge of 20%. This will then be held against your personal MVID # - which is basically or your registries info. You will not be able to renew your plates, or drivers licence until this is paid.

If you are caught with no insurance, the fine is $2875.00. Failure to pay will net you 60 days in jail.

Some liquor tickets, EPA charges etc (anything thats pink), can also result in warrants being issued for your arrest...Even Transit Fines!!!!!

THELMIT
06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
JspecB16 i had that exact senario happen to me but the cop was wating for me at my house, i hired points and they knocked it down to registered owner still a huge fine though

barbarian
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM

AFAIK, you're not supposed to proceed until the pedestrian has reached the other side. Look downtown and this never happens. Can you imagine how badly traffic will be during rush hour if turning cars waited for pedestrians to get all the way across?

I believe the same law that made it $575 also made it legal for the car to proceed once it is safe (for the pedestrian and the car).

barbarian
06-01-2006, 08:50 PM

I hope the jay walking fine is the same, and equally enforced

A jaywalker endagers mostly himself, and consciously takes that decision.

A car not yielding to a pedestrian in a crosswalk makes the decision for the pedestrian, who may also be caught unawares and unready to react.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-01-2006, 08:54 PM
So if I nearly get run down while crossing the road, can I call it in myself, or do I need a police officer to witness it and/or other witnesses to collaborate? I mean, if I nearly get my ass mowed down while crossing 16th, am I supposed to find someone that saw it and is willing to testify?

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-01-2006, 11:14 PM
How long do demerits last on a license?

h_s
06-01-2006, 11:21 PM
3 years, my dl is suspended now because of a buttload of tickets, believe me, it sucks, makes you regret every wrong doing that youve done

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
but if they take away your DL... how do the demerits stay?

Crymson
06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
You can take a defensive driving course to remove 3 demerit points from your license.

I found this out, because i had to take a defensive/off-road course for my work, and even though i don't have any demerits, i got a certificate saying if i DO get any, within a year or two, that i can have 3 removed.

googe
06-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by h_s
3 years, my dl is suspended now because of a buttload of tickets, believe me, it sucks, makes you regret every wrong doing that youve done

its only a month suspension, life isnt that bad...

gotta hurt the wallet when going to insurance though :)

sam5309
02-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I got the $575 ticket when two kids were crossing the street against a red traffic light, green in the direction I was driving. They stopped and stood on the meridian between the two lanes of traffic when they saw I was coming. I proceeded throught the intersection and a bylaw officer stopped me, then called the RCMP to issue me the ticket. There are pedestrian signs but when there is a red light, which takes precidence?

Confussed... should I fight it?

Khyron
02-23-2007, 12:03 AM
If they had a red light and you had a green that's called jaywalking. I hit 2 jaywalkers and they got tickets while being hauled away in the ambulance. Plus I was told I could sue them for the damage to the car. But of course you'll need to prove you were on the green.

Khyron

steve3327
09-14-2007, 12:59 PM
I received a speeding ticket on highway 2 between Morinville and St Albert. Got stopped by the Sherrifs they wrote me a ticket for 136.00 for doing 122 in a 100 zone. However the Sherrif spelt my last name wrong, and did not write a postal code on the back of the ticket for mailing my payment to the Morinville Courthouse. I want to plead not guilty, how do I mail the offence in without a postal code? What are the odds of taking it to court noting that, and the spelling error in my last name and winning? Please and thanks for any help in advance.

BlueGoblin
09-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by steve3327
I received a speeding ticket on highway 2 between Morinville and St Albert. Got stopped by the Sherrifs they wrote me a ticket for 136.00 for doing 122 in a 100 zone. However the Sherrif spelt my last name wrong, and did not write a postal code on the back of the ticket for mailing my payment to the Morinville Courthouse. I want to plead not guilty, how do I mail the offence in without a postal code? What are the odds of taking it to court noting that, and the spelling error in my last name and winning? Please and thanks for any help in advance.

Several threads have dealt with this issue.

The odds of you winning on those grounds alone are about the same as a boiled dog turd tasting delightful.

REDRX8
04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
What happens with the mandatory court appearance for speeds over 50 km over posted speed limit. Is this an automatic licence suspension. What are the fines for this infraction.

Ben
04-06-2008, 07:51 AM
"Pink Tickets" require you to attend a hearing set on the date on the ticket. General outcomes are dependent on the amount over 50 you are. Sometimes if it's real close to 50, and depending on where you got the ticket, they will forgo the suspension, however this usually requires the assistance of a traffic lawyer. If it's in a small hick town, especially the stretch between Red Deer and Edmonton, you're usually grabbing your ankles.

Anything over 50 is 6 demerits right off the bat. Charge can be changed to careless/dangerous driving, racing, etc etc depending on how the JP/Judge reads the case and what the officer wrote. License suspension is usually standard with 30 days being minimum. Can go much much higher.

I know of a 190 in a 110 that got a 45 day suspension, 6 demerits, and 600 in fines. Infraction was Leduc / Wetaskiwin Jurisdiction. This was a number of years ago before laws tightened and fines increased.

The monetary value is much higher as your insurance company will usually drop you after seeing that, and then to get another insurer, you'll pay a far higher rate (double or more)

BTW, thanks for bumping an old assed thread when there's many newer ones.

Herpayvr
08-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Hi I am new and I thought I ask this question:

I recently received a speeding ticket from those new Sheriff's. Everything on the ticket seems Ok except for the complaint Signature area. It appears the Sheriff signed it with his name and added Sheriff to it. I thought about this and when a signature is required we all sign with our usual name. He added Sheriff to his name.

He is where I am going with this......He will be the crown's witness. He would have to prove he is teh complaint on the ticket. If his ID, like his Alberta Drivers Liscence or his Peace Office liscence has his normal signature, then I am thinking this is not the complaintant as it is no the same person.

You can say that is his position or title.....Well the requirement is signature not title. The Queen of Canada still signs her name without her title, and so does the Prime Minister. So is this ticket valid?

I love to hear from people on there thoughts and any legal guys out there. Is this something no one has thought of?

TACO.VIDAL
08-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Pure genius.

Originally posted by Herpayvr

I recently received a speeding ticket from those new Sheriff's. Everything on the ticket seems Ok except for the complaint Signature area. It appears the Sheriff signed it with his name and added Sheriff to it. I thought about this and when a signature is required we all sign with our usual name. He added Sheriff to his name.

He is where I am going with this......He will be the crown's witness. He would have to prove he is teh complaint on the ticket. If his ID, like his Alberta Drivers Liscence or his Peace Office liscence has his normal signature, then I am thinking this is not the complaintant as it is no the same person.

You can say that is his position or title.....Well the requirement is signature not title. The Queen of Canada still signs her name without her title, and so does the Prime Minister. So is this ticket valid?

I love to hear from people on there thoughts and any legal guys out there. Is this something no one has thought of?

phil98z24
08-25-2008, 08:51 PM

I've stopped laughing now, so I can finally type. That is actually a pretty interesting question, just a funny one.

I sign my tickets with my regular signature, but add Cst. in front of my last name where it says "Print Name" - and I have never ever had one person ask if my name is Constable or Cst, and it has never been a fact in issue when it comes to identifying a person. There is no "requirement" that the signature even be that persons name. I have seen people sign tickets with an X or a scribble that doesn't even look like a signature, and it doesn't matter one iota. So long as that person made that X/scribble/heiroglyphic, that is all that matters.

As far as it being a position or title, you are on with that, and it's the same as someone signing with Dr or PhD or what have you. That is an office that I hold, and as such I'm legally entitled to use that title if I so choose. In fact, it further reinforces that the person who signed that ticket is in fact a peace/police officer.

Sorry man, you are not going to get anywhere with this one. :)

Herpayvr
08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

I've stopped laughing now, so I can finally type. That is actually a pretty interesting question, just a funny one.

I sign my tickets with my regular signature, but add Cst. in front of my last name where it says "Print Name" - and I have never ever had one person ask if my name is Constable or Cst, and it has never been a fact in issue when it comes to identifying a person. There is no "requirement" that the signature even be that persons name. I have seen people sign tickets with an X or a scribble that doesn't even look like a signature, and it doesn't matter one iota. So long as that person made that X/scribble/heiroglyphic, that is all that matters.

As far as it being a position or title, you are on with that, and it's the same as someone signing with Dr or PhD or what have you. That is an office that I hold, and as such I'm legally entitled to use that title if I so choose. In fact, it further reinforces that the person who signed that ticket is in fact a peace/police officer.

Well sometimes things that look straight forward changes in court Take the French Truck Driver for instance, it was 1982 when the constitution became effective and in Alberta after all these years a succesful challenge has finally been made about the ability to have tickets in both offical languages. I happen to be French Also and may ask for a french trial, just to have some fun with this. I have checked many definitions of signature and none so far includes a title. Point being what ID or what proof would that complaiatant have that they are sheriff blank! The Goverment of Canada does not allow titles as part of a signature. I am going on the fact the legal document states signature and over on the side it ask for name etc. Offices and titles are also not part of signatures. I have several titles and one military medal and I use my regular signature to identify me.

I will need to get some more struture and examples of this and see if this will work. Mind you, this is simply one of three defense strategies.

phil98z24
08-28-2008, 12:00 AM

Well sometimes things that look straight forward changes in court Take the French Truck Driver for instance, it was 1982 when the constitution became effective and in Alberta after all these years a succesful challenge has finally been made about the ability to have tickets in both offical languages. I happen to be French Also and may ask for a french trial, just to have some fun with this. I have checked many definitions of signature and none so far includes a title. Point being what ID or what proof would that complaiatant have that they are sheriff blank! The Goverment of Canada does not allow titles as part of a signature. I am going on the fact the legal document states signature and over on the side it ask for name etc. Offices and titles are also not part of signatures. I have several titles and one military medal and I use my regular signature to identify me.

I will need to get some more struture and examples of this and see if this will work. Mind you, this is simply one of three defense strategies.

If you had checked the definition of signature, you may have noted that it is commonly accepted that any mark or sign made with intent to acknowledge, approve, accept or bear witness to any document or instrument is considered a signature. It's all about intent, and it doesn't matter what it reads so long as it was made by that person with the intent of acknowledgement.

As far as what Sheriffs have to identify themselves - just like any other peace officer in Alberta or in this country, they have a card that identifies them as such and can produce that as verification of identity. This card must include their rank and badge/regimental number so there is mo mistake as to who they are.

Regarding your legal definitions and the like, I would like to see this proof that the government of Canada does not allow titles as part of a signature. I have seen no specific statute or legislation prohibiting that, so if you can find it and apply it to your case than I will eat my words.

Herpayvr
08-28-2008, 08:36 AM

If you had checked the definition of signature, you may have noted that it is commonly accepted that any mark or sign made with intent to acknowledge, approve, accept or bear witness to any document or instrument is considered a signature. It's all about intent, and it doesn't matter what it reads so long as it was made by that person with the intent of acknowledgement.

As far as what Sheriffs have to identify themselves - just like any other peace officer in Alberta or in this country, they have a card that identifies them as such and can produce that as verification of identity. This card must include their rank and badge/regimental number so there is mo mistake as to who they are.

Regarding your legal definitions and the like, I would like to see this proof that the government of Canada does not allow titles as part of a signature. I have seen no specific statute or legislation prohibiting that, so if you can find it and apply it to your case than I will eat my words.

Perhaps it’s a weak argument; however there is a point in the reason for the signature. If today after you read this you walk into your bank to make a withdrawal and you change your signature on the withdrawal slip, depending which institution you deal with they may ask you to sign again or produce ID. Your intent is to withdrawal money and you are the same person, however your mark would be different so they would need to verify it’s you. This would be exactly the same thing as you mentioned about every peace officer having a card who identifies them as such.

On legal documents, an illiterate signatory can make a "mark" (often an "X" but occasionally a personalized symbol), so long as the document is countersigned by a literate witness. There is a difference between criminal and contractual law, with this said, the violation ticket is a legal document and as such must stand the scrutiny of law.

My only problem is time, time to gather all of the CRA (Revenue Canada) Pension board, Canadian Forces..etc..etc policy’s and regulations on signatures. In Alberta one must use their regular signature when dealing with Land titles, Personal Security property etc. I am trying to pull those records and previous court cases. I just have to ask myself how much time do I want to spend on this. Most Sheriffs are new with very little experience and I have ten years as an accident investigator in the Military and wrote and facilitated driver safety programs. In addition physics was one of my stronger subjects and even radar licensed officers are limited in their knowledge of the subjected matter, and I say that with respect as most do not recall their grade 12 or first years courses on this subject. My Sheriff is so new, his name does not come up on any current trials as I searched the current case files on line and he comes up blank.

If I do nothing I pay my fine and take the points, no big deal, but if I fight this I will get a reduction and most important of all, I receive the entrainment value of this process, not to mention more practice in public speaking, meet some new people, and perhaps make a friend or two. You have to have the right attitude. I am in BC so the cost to come out and fight this is far more than the ticket, so money is not the issue, it’s the principle.

khtm
08-28-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. I heard from a cop that although most people think that, in fact the law says you simply must yield to pedestrians.

Which means that if the pedestrian has to slow down, stop, or divert the direction they are walking because of your vehicle, you broke the law.

Apparently a lot of cops have given out the tickets incorrectly, simply because a car was on the opposite end of a crosswalk that a pedestrian was walking. But if those tickets ever make it to court they usually won't stand.

Hopefully someone can correct me if this is wrong.

malcolmk14
08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
herpayvr... how much do you value your time? Honestly.. just pay the fine. you're wasting your time and taxpayers money, and there's no way you're going to get the ticket thrown out because of this.

phil98z24
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Yah, what he said... :)

I'm all for people trying to fight the system and use it to their advantage (otherwise why have it in the first place?), but right now what you are doing is trying to make case law regarding a signature. Seriously - if your ticket gets tossed because of this it's going to set a precedent, and I have serious doubts about that happening.

Let me know how it turns out. I am genuinely interested in the results.

Seanith
08-31-2008, 12:02 PM
When you visit the Justice of the Peace with a ticket, can you show up with more than one even though they have different court dates?

Herpayvr
09-13-2008, 02:25 AM

Well it's done, I got off. I thought I go all out and have fun with this so I asked for a French trial and I wanted to challenge the ticket........crown offered a reduced fine and Regietred owner charge and I said sure...Done, the province gets a few bucks, the Sheriff feels good that he is doing something important, I saved a few bucks and keep a clean record, it's all good.

I love that "lets make a deal room" no matter if your guilty or not, save the court time so cut a deal with the crown...it's great.

As I drove home I hear on the radio about all of the crime Calgary is going through just as I look over at the Sheriff department hiding underneath the Deerfoot on the Southside and I said to myself....what a homourable profesion when you hide so you can catch everyday people such as school teachers, janitors, soccer moms who may of gone over the posted speed limit at the bottom of a hill on a beautifully paved and engineered built road with a artificially low speed limit. Oh well, life is that and those who do that can justify the need for such activities! But I am done, done and I feel good.

phil98z24
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM

Well it's done, I got off. I thought I go all out and have fun with this so I asked for a French trial and I wanted to challenge the ticket........crown offered a reduced fine and Regietred owner charge and I said sure...Done, the province gets a few bucks, the Sheriff feels good that he is doing something important, I saved a few bucks and keep a clean record, it's all good.

I love that "lets make a deal room" no matter if your guilty or not, save the court time so cut a deal with the crown...it's great.

As I drove home I hear on the radio about all of the crime Calgary is going through just as I look over at the Sheriff department hiding underneath the Deerfoot on the Southside and I said to myself....what a homourable profesion when you hide so you can catch everyday people such as school teachers, janitors, soccer moms who may of gone over the posted speed limit at the bottom of a hill on a beautifully paved and engineered built road with a artificially low speed limit. Oh well, life is that and those who do that can justify the need for such activities! But I am done, done and I feel good.

That is all fine and good, congrats on fighting your ticket and getting what in your eyes you deem to be a small victory.

However; I need to correct you regarding the Sheriffs and their role in law enforcement. They are NOT police officers, they are not designated to perform the role we do nor do they have the means to do so. So when you think about how much crap Calgary is going through in terms of crime and such, don't lump the Sheriffs in and think they are not helping the cause when they are simply do the job they are mandated to do - traffic, court, and protective services.

Herpayvr
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM

That is all fine and good, congrats on fighting your ticket and getting what in your eyes you deem to be a small victory.

However; I need to correct you regarding the Sheriffs and their role in law enforcement. They are NOT police officers, they are not designated to perform the role we do nor do they have the means to do so. So when you think about how much crap Calgary is going through in terms of crime and such, don't lump the Sheriffs in and think they are not helping the cause when they are simply do the job they are mandated to do - traffic, court, and protective services.

Sorry if I wasnt clear, the Sheriff's in my eyes anyways are not in the same level as real police or peace officers. I call them glorified meter maids. I won, small victory perhaps, but I had fun and I learned a great deal about our system, so for me it was worth it. My resources are covered by my job, so I am not out anything, and I am better off know with this knowledge.

The Sheriffs do consider themselves real police. When I went through my incident, I got out of my car after I opened my trunk as i wanted to get my ditigal camera so I could take pictures of where I was for reference. The Sheriff rushed out and joined me at the back of the car and informed me that as a peace officer he must always be alert and sudden movements are not a smart thing to do and I should ask his permisson before moving from my seat. I looked at him and thought, with my many years in the military as a combat soldier and the fire fights I had overseas, I can take this little punk out in a matter of seconds and hog tie him in the back of his brand new and shinny car.........but I simply smiled and said sorry I did not have your number and I had nothing better to do so I wanted to take pictures. I also reassured him that people like me have provided peace and security for our nation and he need not worry as us big boys look after the big stuff.

So they are peace officers and on the Alberta Goverment website they are called peace officers.

The Calgary Police Service does a fine job with their limited resources. I lived in Calgary when HAWKS 1 finally got off the ground and to this day when I drive South of the Deer Foot past Southland Drive I glance over at the memorial for Rick Sonnenberg with respect. I also knew on eof the four Mounties who were shot in Mytherope, so I know the role of the brave men and women who choose this line of work. I just think these wanabe or sorta of cop roles simply cheapens or "muddies" the water when placed along side or on the same page of what I consider real cops and heros.

cloud7
09-17-2008, 10:47 AM
I have an unrelated question. If I want to discuss my first ever ticket in 15+yr of driving with a justice of the peace ahead of the time shown on the ticket, do I go to Rocky Mountain Plaza or the address shown on the back of the ticket? I too would like to do my part and save the government some valuable court time. Thanks.

DayGlow
09-17-2008, 11:07 AM
all court services have moved to the new court building at 5 st and 6 ave SW. You can go any time before the date on the ticket, but wait a week or so for the ticket to get there. If you go too soon then the courts won't have recieved the ticket yet.

Herpayvr
09-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Years back when I went with a friend for a court date, and this was at the Rocky Mountain Plaza. They had like a monty Hall lets make a deal thing going where you stand in line with all of the incocent people, (keep your hands on your wallet) and you meet with the crown in a room one on one, make your case, cut a deal and then you go into the court room and then your done. It was quick and fast. Everyone wins.

What I over heard from people was the insurance issue, so you offer to pay the money as they want that, but save on the demerit points. So you go in and say my isurance company gives me cheap insurance for safe driving, you admit this is your only time and you just came back from volunterring some where, show emotion and then bob's your uncle.

Go down there on court day just to get a feel for the place and how it works. Yes you will need to burn your clothes and have a shower later. But this can be fun.

Redbag
10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I recently got a window tint ticketfor $115. Now if thats the fine for it then fine, but I know of people being charged $350 and $285. When I called the R.C.M.P today the lady said the fine was $178. The guy I know that was charged $285 went to court and piad $57 cause that was the max they could charge for window tint he was told. That was 7 or 8 months ago though so I believe it could have changed by now. Now like any other traffic violation it should be and I'm sure is a set rate for everyone, for instance seat belt is $115 for everyone. As well the R.C.M.P drive their ghost cars with tinted windows in the front, so like everyone else it should be illegal for them as they have to ABID by the provincial laws as well DON'T THEY? All I really want to know is wut is the actual charge amount for tinted windows on a vehicle and why are the police services allowed to have window tint and the general publis is not?:confused:

rinny
10-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Redbag
All I really want to know is wut is the actual charge amount for tinted windows on a vehicle and why are the police services allowed to have window tint and the general publis is not?:confused:

Alberta Traffic Safety Act is your fiend...I mean friend.

Here is any information you'll need for laws and fines for traffic:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/556.htm

mk1
05-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Hello, I recently was contacted by a police officer who said my car was caught on radar or camera or something speeding 150km/hr in a construction zone, i was not driving but was asleep in the back seat so i had no idea this happened until the officer called my phone and asked me questions about it 3 days or so later. the friend i was with says he met a girl and she was sober so she drove the car but that he doesnt have her contact info. Im pretty worried about all this, whats going to happen?

dirtsniffer
05-28-2010, 01:32 AM
nothing probably. just dont answer the door if they show up lol..

phil98z24
05-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by mk1
Hello, I recently was contacted by a police officer who said my car was caught on radar or camera or something speeding 150km/hr in a construction zone, i was not driving but was asleep in the back seat so i had no idea this happened until the officer called my phone and asked me questions about it 3 days or so later. the friend i was with says he met a girl and she was sober so she drove the car but that he doesnt have her contact info. Im pretty worried about all this, whats going to happen?

They will likely give out a registered owner ticket if no one owns up to driving the vehicle at that time... better see if you can track her down somehow, otherwise you are going to face the heat for it.

Scrat
06-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I recently got pulled over doing 151m in a 100 zone i have a mandatory court appearance im 17 just got my license 4 months ago but this is the first time i have been pulled over so i dont have any demerits yet, what are my fines, or will i lose my license and if so for how long, will my chances of not losing my license and a smaller fine increase if i have a lawyer fight my ticket for me?? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FiveFreshFish
06-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Scrat
I recently got pulled over doing 151m in a 100 zone i have a mandatory court appearance im 17 just got my license 4 months ago but this is the first time i have been pulled over so i dont have any demerits yet, what are my fines, or will i lose my license and if so for how long, will my chances of not losing my license and a smaller fine increase if i have a lawyer fight my ticket for me?? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You won't get suspended until you hit 8 demerit points under the GDL. http://www.plates.net/services/GraduatedDriverLicensingInfo.pdf

But you've screwed yourself with this one speeding incident.

Mitsu3000gt
06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
I just received a ticket for 105 in an 80 ($150) but the officer simply printed his last name only on the signature line...do you think I should be able to get out of it just like Herpayvr on the grounds that it isn't actually the officer's signature?

dexlargo
06-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Scrat
I recently got pulled over doing 151m in a 100 zone i have a mandatory court appearance im 17 just got my license 4 months ago but this is the first time i have been pulled over so i dont have any demerits yet, what are my fines, or will i lose my license and if so for how long, will my chances of not losing my license and a smaller fine increase if i have a lawyer fight my ticket for me?? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Going more than 50 over the limit is 6 demerits, but the judges will often impose a discretionary suspension for that kind of speed. You should be able to agree to plead to a lower speed with the crown and avoid the mandatory court appearance. Heck, if you pleaded to just 50 over, that gets you down to 4 demerits and no mandatory court appearance, but I think it's a $351.00 fine.

93VR6
06-21-2010, 11:14 AM
for buddy goin 151 in a 100.

Hire points, my brother got his first ticket almost the same way, doing 120 in a 60. He got off with no demerits a 200 fine and points was 200 so all in all you should be fine.

oilerfan4lyfe
06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
There were a few posts about yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks earlier on - does anyone actually know the proper rules? I tried the handbook but couldn't see it in there.

From what I gather, if there is no median, you have to wait until the pedestrian crosses completely. If there is a median you can proceed once the pedestrian has crossed the median. Is that right? Does it matter what kind of median it is?

derran.m
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
There were a few posts about yielding to pedestrians in crosswalks earlier on - does anyone actually know the proper rules? I tried the handbook but couldn't see it in there.

From what I gather, if there is no median, you have to wait until the pedestrian crosses completely. If there is a median you can proceed once the pedestrian has crossed the median. Is that right? Does it matter what kind of median it is?

I'd answer ya but I'm not a fan of any oiler fan lmao

speedog
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe

From what I gather, if there is no median, you have to wait until the pedestrian crosses completely. If there is a median you can proceed once the pedestrian has crossed the median. Is that right? Does it matter what kind of median it is? Nope, I don't believe we've seen any concrete evidence of what the rules actually are and at $575.00, it probably prudent to err on the side of caution. All I know is that downtown or at many lit (traffic light controlled) intersections, if I'm turning right then I wait until the pedestrian is well clear of my vehicle and in doing so, I've yielded to that pedestrian before safely proceeding. For regular crosswalks like the ones you'll find in many residential areas or near schools (see 4th Street NW just north of Diefenbaker High School), I wait until the pedestrian has crossed all the way, doesn;t matter if I'm turning or not - that $575.00 just feels way better in my hands and yeah, I'll remain stopped even if there's a median involved as the Alberta Traffic Safety Act defines a crosswalk as follows...

i) the part of a roadway at an intersection included within the connection of the lateral line of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured from the curb or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the roadway, or

ii) any part of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by signs or by lines or other markings on the road surface

Now the real thing to be watching out for is the fine you can get ($575.00 and 4 demerit points - section 41(2)) for passing a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk - that is why you should wait for that pedestrian to be all the way across. Now I suppose this rule could be used against someone who might decide to turn right downtown or at any regular light controlled intersection and I believe I have read of such an instance elsewhere on these forums, but for the most part, I suspect if you don't drive like a dick (being obvious to the police), then you'll be OK turning right at a light controlled intersection after the pedestrian has quite safely cleared your vehicle's path.

Driver16
07-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I got stopped for not having the registration '10' sticker on my plate. I have a valid registration and had the sticker in my car, but forgot to put it in. Yes, I've had in for almost a year, so my bad. However, $230 fine? I stuck it on as soon as he issued me the ticket. Any way out of this?

FiveFreshFish
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Driver16
I stuck it on as soon as he issued me the ticket. Any way out of this?
Did he see you do this?

01RedDX
07-21-2010, 05:32 PM

driver1892
08-29-2010, 05:17 AM
Well today I found out that those small residential medians with the grass and trees in them don't count.

I saw two pedestrians that were walking towards the street so I stopped and they proceeded to cross. There was a cop car parked on the corner they were crossing from so I made sure I didn't start moving till they'd safely crossed my side of the road and reached the median.

When they did I continued on my way and the cop pulled me over and shouted at me for "failing to yeild to pedestrians". When he calmed down a bit I asked him about the rule and he told me that I had to wait till they just about reached the sidewalk on the other side.

Anyhow he let me off with a warning though thankfully.

That was the first time I ever had a cop shout at me but man, are they ever intimidating as hell! :eek: (especially when they mention a $500+ fine!)

16hypen3sp
04-28-2014, 08:46 PM
BUMP!

I know this thread is super old.

But is there a law written that fines drivers that are actually moving too slow?
Somebody going 20 in a 50 zone should get a ticket for obstructing traffic or something.

Is there a law?

rage2
04-28-2014, 09:14 PM
2(1)(c) drive a vehicle at such a slow rate of speed so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic then existing on a highway except when it is necessary to do so for the safe operation of the vehicle or to comply with Parts 1 and 2.

16hypen3sp
04-29-2014, 06:24 AM
Hey rage,

So it's written in there. (Use of highway and rules of the road regulation)

But if someone was to get pulled over and fined, what would the charge be?

Im guessing it would say something like... impeding traffic? x amount of dollars??

dexlargo
04-29-2014, 01:48 PM
IANR, but it would likely read, "Drive at slow rate of speed" and cite the section number - UHRRR 2(1)(C). There isn't an exact wording that the officer has to write, it just has to be identifiable what you're being charged under.

The fine is $115.00. You didn't ask if it gets demerits and I don't feel like looking it up, but I'd guess it's a 2 demerit ticket.

rage2
04-29-2014, 01:57 PM
Section 2(1)(c) Demerits 2

CorollaXRS
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
passing emergency on highway is $650. I did that once and I pay big buck on that ticket.. and i dont just pay it at calgary, i have to pay it at a small town, (forgot the name already). FML.

Inzane
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
So it's written in there. (Use of highway and rules of the road regulation)

But if someone was to get pulled over and fined, what would the charge be?

Im guessing it would say something like... impeding traffic?

True dat. I saw that on an episode of Dukes of Hazzard. :nut:

Bo & Luke were driving Uncle Jesse's pickup truck, and Roscoe pulls them over.
Luke, puzzled, asked "Roscoe, what'd we do this time?"
Roscoe "Speeding, evading arrest, ..." (the usual)
Luke "Common Roscoe, this old truck won't even do the speed limit!".
Roscoe "Alright then, I'll write you a ticket for IMPEDING traffic. Gi-gi!!!"

Originally posted by CorollaXRS
passing emergency on highway is $650. I did that once and I pay big buck on that ticket..

What was the context in your scenario? You drove by a vehicle that was at the side of the road responding to an emergency and you drove too fast (> 50km/h)? Or they were just on the road travelling like any other vehicle, no lights etc. and you happened to pass them?

16hypen3sp
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
IANR, but it would likely read, "Drive at slow rate of speed" and cite the section number - UHRRR 2(1)(C). There isn't an exact wording that the officer has to write, it just has to be identifiable what you're being charged under.

The fine is $115.00. You didn't ask if it gets demerits and I don't feel like looking it up, but I'd guess it's a 2 demerit ticket.

Originally posted by rage2
Section 2(1)(c) Demerits 2

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

dexlargo
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CorollaXRS
passing emergency on highway is $650. I did that once and I pay big buck on that ticket.. and i dont just pay it at calgary, i have to pay it at a small town, (forgot the name already). FML. That's not a flat rate ticket. You just pay double the fines on the amount over the limit you are travelling, the same as for speeding in a construction zone with workers present.

60 km/hr is the limit when passing emergency vehicles with lights flashing (or the actual speed limit of the road - whichever is lower), so you would have to have been going 47 km/hr over to get a $651 fine.

I guess you were going 107 km/hr in the lane adjacent to where the emergency vehicle was stopped - amirite?

Dude. That's super-dangerous.