Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Home Automotive Forums > Beyond.ca - Car Forums Archive > Lounge > Careers

Electrical Apprentices Needed Now! - Click HERE for Original Thread

dinglenuts
I work for maximum electric systems, been there 5 years, its a solid job. If you're looking to start a trade and are honestly a good worker, not drinking every night, and willing to put in some effort call Mike @ Maximum electric or send a faxed resume to 403 273-5044. We're a small company with an assload of work, good opportunity, fair boss, good pay. For a first year(newbie) starts at $13.00 an hour plus 9.6% vac pay. Mostly residential work with light commercial, apartment buildings hotels etc. Apply now as we are hiring. P.S. the boss loves a straight forward approach, if you make the effort to meet him in person you'll pretty much be guaranteed a job, as long as you hold your own. WE ARE HIRING MORE THAN JUST FIRST YEAR APPRENTICES, 2ND,3RD,AND 4TH ALSO.
Tyler883
Is it union?

No offence, but I'm not going to spend 8 weeks in a classroom at 55%(UIC) of $12.50 an hour just because its a non-union job and the boss is too cheap to fork out a training allowance.

Also, $12.50 is a rape wage. Unskilled labor gets more than that.
TrevorK
Originally posted by Tyler883
Is it union?

No offence, but I'm not going to spend 8 weeks in a classroom at 55%(UIC) of $12.50 an hour just because its a non-union job and the boss is too cheap to fork out a training allowance.

Also, $12.50 is a rape wage. Unskilled labor gets more than that.

A lot of first year non-union apprentices get paid that. Some less.

Tyler883
Originally posted by TrevorK

A lot of first year non-union apprentices get paid that. Some less.

misery likes company

danno
that's good pay, not the best but decent. i took less in my first year. as far as on skilled labour getting more than that ( i don't think so) but if they do it's a dead end job they need you t0o work for them.

12.50 is a fair price to start at
Tyler883
ok, I will correct myself...there's lots of dead end jobs that pay more than your "fair price"

I know that you are getting apprenticed, but does he kiss you before he tells you to bend over????
dinglenuts
wow, I was posting for a job opportunity, not to be assaulted. For your information a first year apprentice with no experience gets 12.50 because they are considered unskilled labour at the beginning. This is also the minimum in calgary, lighter type working rate. If you think the entry position in the trade is worth more, go to fort mac, live in a trailer with a bunch of men, and I'm sure you'll be happy. Anyway, we are doing a company raise this month, but because its unclear as of yet, I'm posting 12.50 an hour. This is more than fair to be trained and indentured as an apprentice. Not to mention you are paid for travel time, you don't need to drive your own vehicle to work, christmas bonuses based on performance, hours lent to you when your broke, overtime, paid company outings to go karts, golf, lunch, and nobody at this company treats you like an idiot. Did I mention I started here 4 years ago at12.50 and now make 28.00 an hour? Its called PUTTING IN YOUR TIME. A good job for someone who is looking to develop a skill. Anyone who is interested don't listen to Tyler883, obviously knows nothing of earning your wage.
dinglenuts
Oh yeah, and if you pass your school you get 1/2 your tuition back, and we have a benefit plan with life insurance and a $750.00 a year deal where you turn in any receipts you want for full repayment. And no, we're not union, but we have a great company reputation for" actually working "to get the job done, and we are seriously busy.
MenteL
I have no electrician experience at all. Does this job involve wiring basic power throughout the buildings? If I walked in on tuesday and asked for the job would I have a chance at getting it? I'm tired of working dead end jobs (right now I install windshields on cars. shitty work and shitty that i have to train it all the way from whitehorn to chinook everyday to get there), I am looking for a career and something that will get me somewhere.

I'm definatly interested especially seeing that this job pays $4.50 more than my current one.
Tyler883
Your number seem strange.

Don't first year apprentices start at 55% of journeyman rate with an increase of 5 percent every 6 months? A starting wage of 12.50 is only about 22 bucks an hour, yet you are making 28 bucks an hour?
AllGoNoShow
Depends on the trade, and I think for most it goes up by Apprentice year not 6 months, as in First Year gets 55 Second Year gets 65, Third year gets 80 and Fourth gets 90 then Jouryney gets 100% obveously. Depends on the trade I believe but don't forget.

To be an appretice you have to have a blue book and be registered through the gov. Singing up and getting this position, doesnt automatically make you an apprentice so theoretically they dont have to pay you 55% until you have the blue book in hand and ready to go.
danno
once again tyler883 you have no idea what your talking about and don't know how to do simple math. 1st year start at 50% of the journey man rate. it then goes up by 10% each year. the journey man wage is determined by the company but there is a minimum ( i think 24 bucks). my company rate for journey man is at 28.50 with a raise at the end of may for .50$.

i don't think it took long at all to get my blue book, but i was payed the 50% right away.

it was hard to become a apprentice. so if someone has the hook up, it would be a good idea to give it a shot.
dinglenuts
yes, its based like this - 50% first year, 60% 2nd, 70% third, 80% 4th, 100% after 4th. I realize some companies are paying more, but that's probably mostly commercial I'd think. We do houses, apartments, condos, large custom homes, mostly, and we also do a couple hotels, funeral homes, farms, small retail outlets and service work. I would say to get a good skill set in the trade work a couple years in this type of work, a couple years of mostly commercial, and tough out some industrial. You'll always have a job, especially with a good residential base. Not to mention the cash jobs that are always around.:) I'm pretty sure our j-man rate is going to 26.50 but like I say, its not clear yet. Really though, good company to work for, I woudn't have stayed for my whole apprenticeship otherwise.
AllGoNoShow
Well said danno and dingle, if anyone is interested in this trade then you shoudl look into this opportunity seriously, even if it pays a buck less then another place.

I knwo for myself, finding a shop that would hire someone so young for a first year apprentice, was hard to come by, if I was going into Electrical I would probably take this opportunity, good luck on filling the position dingle.
danno
if you have to take a loss in pay to start as a apprentice it would be well worth it in the end.

28.50 plus 10% vacation pay is in the high $60 000. so not to shabby, plus all the side jobs you can do

take advantage of the oppurtunity
pyro
if i didnt already pay for my electrical course at SAIT i would be all over this oppertunity.
dinglenuts
yeah, its decent, I was almost bankrupt when i started at age 20, now my wife and I pull in $90k a year. not bad for 26 years old. Myself I'm making at least 55k a year without o.t. or sidejobs. I looked at this job as a great "fall back on" skill If I ever decide what I really want to do in the future, and if I never decide on something else, at lest this provides a comfortable living, not to mention you can actually shave years off an engineering degree once you have your ticket, as well as the doors that open into plcs, instrumentation etc. If you do a couple extra years, a hundred bucks an hour is not so far out of reach. If you really stick with it, you be making more than anyone in a long university course, and thats without the multiple thousands of debt that come with an extensive education. Atrade skill is never going to hurt you, only give an added source of income in the future.
Zero102
Are there still jobs available?
I'm a 2nd year going on 3rd year, just finishing up my second year classes (via distance learning, since I don't have 2 months to go to school in) looking for summer work. Just until the end of August, when I go back to university. For what it's worth, I'm a straight-forward guy, who doesn't drink. Sounds like I fit the criteria other than not being a 1st year apprentice.

I have 75% multi-family residential experience and about 25% commercial experience. Are they looking for anything other than 1st year apprentices?
Should I just give him a shout, and bring in a resume?

I didn't read the entire argument about rates here, so what is the journeyman rate at the company?
69cougar
Yep. Nothing like being a sparky. Hammer drilling inserts in concrete all day. getting yelled at by every other trade because your runs are in their way and they have priority. Not to mention blowing up your kleins on live wires that were suppose to be disconnected. GOOD TIMES!!

:thumbsup:
Tyler883
Originally posted by danno
once again tyler883 you ..... don't know how to do simple math.

danno, I don't have much faith in your simple math skills considering that you seem to be totally content with dingle's $12.50 and $28 figures.

When I went to school, 50% of 28 bucks an hour was $14 bucks an hour.

Team_Mclaren
Originally posted by danno
1st year start at 50% of the journey man rate. it then goes up by 10% each year. the journey man wage is determined by the company but there is a minimum ( i think 24 bucks).

man you must be blind. keyword here "MINIMUM"

If you can find a company that pays you 50 bucks for first year... doesnt mean everywhere else pays 100 for journeymen....

Tyler883
thats exactly my point, "minimum" is 50%, 12.50 an hour is below the 50% minimum if you beleive dingle's claim of $28 for juorneyman. I'm sure he has a good explanation, but it hasn't been offered, yet.

Edit: just forget it, you guys are obviously too fucken dumb to do the math.
:closed:
Team_Mclaren
wow you must be a fucking retard. who the fuck cares how much he gets, your wage (first year) is not determine by how much the company is paying the journeymen. Most companys will pay more than minimun for jourenymen because they are considered as skilled workers, unlike first years. if a company pays 50 bucks for a journeyman DOES NOT mean that the first years get 25....
Zero102
Interesting argument going on here....
I think it's time you guys step back from this argument. This is a thread from a guy giving first years a heads up on some work, not a pissing match about journeyman rates, and related crap.

Legally, a company has to pay a first year apprentice 50% of their journeyman rate. So, if you work for this company, and they state that their journeyman rate is $28/hour, and you're getting $12.50/hour, THEN complain, otherwise there is probably a misunderstanding here.

Anyhoo, does anybody know if they're looking for anything other than 1st year apprentices?
Team_Mclaren
Originally posted by Zero102
Interesting argument going on here....

Legally, a company has to pay a first year apprentice 50% of their journeyman rate. So, if you work for this company, and they state that their journeyman rate is $28/hour, and you're getting $12.50/hour, THEN complain, otherwise there is probably a misunderstanding here.

Is that the case?:confused: If so then there's a misunderstanding on my part. And I'm sorry if I have confused anyone... I'm confused myself now...

anyway, like Zero102 said, lets step back and not argue over the numbers, it's not what this thread was intented for.

Tyler883
agreed, let's kiss and make up:love:
danno
i'm back, let's put it this way i started off at $12 with a company that had journey man wage at 24 bucks( the minimum). the second company i worked for is was paying 13.50 for a first year(this is before the increases). jman was making $27. the company can decide what the jman makes and bases everyone salary accordingly. some jman make more within the company some make the companies bottom rate. the company has to base the first year off their jman bottom wage.

i should have explained that i have worked for two companies.

dingle must make more than the average jman on staff at his company.
where i work i'm pretty sure everyone makes the same except the oldtimers who might get more.

i'm not saying i'm right or wrong this is how i've seen it from first hand experience.
dinglenuts
I don't really understand why tyler883 is so concerned with my post, especially if he doesn't need a job? Find a hobby man. I am a foreman. Foremen typically receive more than a j-man on a site. My rate is currently $25.00 per hour as a j-man, while running two projects I will be on foreman rate. If you really want to be accurate I receive $27.40 per hour including my vac pay as a j-man. I'm sorry tyler 883, I cannot accurately tell you what my bonus will be this year, but I'll pm you when I get it. As a foreman I receive more. AS A FIRST YEAR A NEW APPRENTICE STARTING WITH US TODAY GETS 12.50 TO START plus 9.6% vacation pay and benefits.. WE ARE RECEIVING A RAISE THIS MONTH SO I CAN'T SAY EXACTLY WHAT 1ST YEAR RATE WILL BE. If tyler883 or anyone else would like to discuss my personal finances, feel free to pm me. I would appreciate you guys NOT RUINING MY THREAD as we are looking for help. If you find my add unsuitable, don't work here, but I would not have stuck around if it wasn't decent.
dinglenuts
p.s. Danno knows where I am coming from.
Zero102
I'll call tomorrow, since nobody seems to know if they're looking for 2nd/3rd year apprentices.
danno
thanks dingle. the feeling is mutual.
i'll try not to jump in anymore:D
bump for a good career
dinglenuts
soory if the post is vague, but we are hiring 1st,2nd,3rd year etc. It mostly depends on the person, not so much the level of skill.
Zero102
Sweet. I got carried away with something today that ran really long, I'm calling him tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up! :)
Tyler883
hey dinglenuts,

I'm going to call today, can you put in a good word for me?:nut:
narou
what rate can I expect if I have already taken a pre-employment course through sait with first-aid as well.. My TQ is on the 24
justincalgary
You do realize that this is more than 3 years old eh? Details Details Details....not sure you should be working in a job that could get you killed.
Sophal
What is the going rate for a Jman electrician around calgary these days?
msommers
Even though this thread is super old, this pay scale on average still holds true:

Residential < Commercial < Industrial

Know the sector one would be working in before spouting your mouth about pay.

Anyways, I believe the range would be 28-35/hr depending if unionized and sector.
mtsu
Ok, so what is the information I need in order to get this job? How do I get in touch with the person that is hiring? I didnt understand from the long conversation up above....is this a union or not? I am finishing up my 2nd year apprentice and want more information on this job. Thanks.
Nigel Mansell
Wow, how things have changed since 2005.

Journeyman rate in Calgary is now $36.50 + 9.6% holiday pay.

I work in Fort McMurray and I make 140k a year minimum as an electrician!
CUG
Originally posted by Nigel Mansell

Yeah, I remember doing a short electrical stint in 2004 or something and getting 19 an hour with ZERO experience. I was thinking this was on the low side. $13 an hour, you're not living on your own and you'd be lucky to own a vehicle in this city.

I giggled at the 24-28 an hour for a journeyman elec though..

mm883q
hello i just want to know if this offer for electrician apprentice is still up because this offer was made in 2005.

thx:thumbsup:
Nigel Mansell
Originally posted by mm883q
hello i just want to know if this offer for electrician apprentice is still up because this offer was made in 2005.

thx:thumbsup:

No, it most certainly is not! Things can change in a few days in this game, never mind five years.

Cos

dont become a tech.... haha

Nigel Mansell
Originally posted by Cos

dont become a tech.... haha

I'm miserable up here, I don't care about the money. I'd rather just make 60k a year working in Calgary, home everyday instead of home two nights a month.

HuMz

I'm miserable up here, I don't care about the money. I'd rather just make 60k a year working in Calgary, home everyday instead of home two nights a month.

I tried it up there as well for a year but wasn't worth the money in the long run. You can easily make 75-80 k in the city not including any side jobs.

Nigel Mansell
Originally posted by HuMz

I tried it up there as well for a year but wasn't worth the money in the long run. You can easily make 75-80 k in the city not including any side jobs.

Who do you work for? Is anyone hiring in Calgary right now?

HuMz
Canem Systems, we just got the new sait trades building although they won't be manning up for a while.

I'd try Trottier and morton, I know they were hiring just before christmas for the new childrens hospital down south.
Nigel Mansell
thanks buddy, i'll give them a shout.
eleanormilo
I realize this is from like 5 years ago. but is there any chance that company is still looking for apprentices??

Do you want to post a reply? This is a car forums archive, to participate in daily discussions on cars, visit our forums website and register today! Its free.

For the latest automotive news, visit the car blog