PDA

View Full Version : titanium and tungsten rings

lint
07-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know if there are any good jewelers in Calgary that sell Ti and W rings? Preferably with some customizability?

Shopping around for a wedding band.

Obscura
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I bought my tungsten ring at Birks in TD square about two years ago. It still looks the same, they are really tough.

here's the website of the manufacturer

www.trewtungsten.com

As far as modifying the ring I don't think you can (as far as they say on the site).

You have to be really careful about the sizing because they can't be re-sized or in the case of it getting stuck on a finger, cut. Don't let friends try it on...

I get compliments everday on it.

I'm not sure where my titanium ring came from, it was a gift.

lint
07-07-2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I'll check out Birks. I saw some of his stuff when I was in Seattle. My concern with Tungsten is the nickel content though. So I think I might have to rule it out.

infected
07-07-2005, 05:07 PM
PM Kiwi about titanium rings, she can give you some info.

Davetronz
07-07-2005, 06:47 PM
My Ex got my Titanium ring at People's in Market Mall... Not sure if it was peoples exactly but it was the one right across from sirens...

lint
07-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by infected
PM Kiwi about titanium rings, she can give you some info.

Thanks, but I'm looking for retailers not information. Information I've already got. So far though, no store I've been to can compare to what you can find online. More styles, designs, more unique. Most don't even know what tungsten is, let alone carry it.

Obscura
07-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Not one person has ever been able to guess what my ring was made of.

Does tungsten carbide have a high nickel content?

ninspeed
07-07-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Obscura
Not one person has ever been able to guess what my ring was made of.

Does tungsten carbide have a high nickel content?
About 35%-45%..... if you really want a tungesten, brinks had ok deals, but there is a jewlets at the bottom of calgary towers thats knows lots about tungsten... they did my parents 21st bands that i did for them (gotta give it to them in dec)... they also did my sis/brother in law's wedding band out of Ti

Impreza
07-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Is tungsten expensive?

Obscura
07-08-2005, 02:15 AM
more than Titanium... not that expensive though. Depends if you get gold or platinum inlays as well.:dunno:

str8jkt
07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I know you're looking for local but boonerings.com has an awesome selection and some good reviews as well. He is great about answering questions and getting the done quick. Pretty sure I will be buying from here within a year unless something really good comes up local.

sputnik
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
I bought the rings for me and my wife online.

www.titaniumrings.com

They were GREAT... good selection and fast shipping. They are also out of Kelowna so there are no duty/brokerage fees.

sputnik
07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Obscura
You have to be really careful about the sizing because they can't be re-sized or in the case of it getting stuck on a finger, cut. Don't let friends try it on...

Titanium and Tungsten rings can both be cut. My wife's cousin is an EMS in the Crowsnest pass area and has cut both types of rings.

lint
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by str8jkt
I know you're looking for local but boonerings.com has an awesome selection and some good reviews as well. He is great about answering questions and getting the done quick. Pretty sure I will be buying from here within a year unless something really good comes up local.

I checked out his site, but I found some other designs that I prefered. Also, I decided on a canadian site, to avoid any problems with customs and duties. Pricing did seem to be very similar for the more complicated designs.

With regards to sizing and cutting, most jewelers are completely oblivious to the actual facts. Titanium is as hard as steel, it's not some super metal. It just happens to be half the weight. So if you can cut steel, you can cut Ti. And from manufacturers websites, they've noted that you can cut through a Ti ring with a hacksaw in about 2 mins. It just isn't as easy compared to cutting off a gold or plat ring is all. Tungsten is actually a brittle metal, so you can crack it with a vise. Again, more difficult than regular jewelery metals, but not impossible.

My impression so far, jewelers don't want you to buy Ti, because it costs far less than Plat and less than white gold, and they have a snooty attitude that "it's not jewelery material". Most can't speak about it because they haven't bothered to find out for themselves. Personally I find it quite a turn off to go to a store and having the staff, the experts, fumble around with excuses when you ask them something they should know, but don't.

Anyways I picked a ring from Titanium Era.

frostyda9
07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
If you go ti, just be careful around porcelain sinks. ;) Titanium marks up porcelain very easily. I found this out the hard way :banghead:

Zero102
07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
^^^^
Haha, good advice, I as well learned that the hard way. :(