PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Windows Illegal?????

Pages : [1] 2

redblack
08-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Have a friend that got pulled over twice tonight in two separate loacations in Calgary both told him that there's a new law window tint on cars are now illegal. My friend has back window tint but the front driver & passenger window is so lightly you can't even tell, not to mention his tint was done like 2 years ago. Is it really illegal now? Does anyone know? :dunno:

illeagle
08-11-2005, 12:21 AM
yes it is illegal, and you are not supposed to have any kind of film on the main 3 front windows.

dj_rice
08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Yes its always been illegal but in the newspaper they said that starting this month they are cracking down on people who have the drivers/passenger windows tinted....$57 fine, if u remove the tint...ticket is cancelled

mroseneder
08-11-2005, 12:26 AM
i posted on this three hours ago in the law society section... ;)

yes, it's illegal. smoked glass is illegal too.

57 dollar fine. contrary to section 69(1) of traffic safety act.

Any tint on the FORWARD windows, including windshield, is against the law.

Payner
08-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I thought the cops only need to see people in the cars a light 30% tint should be allowed to have at least that much

ryder_23
08-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Payner
I thought the cops only need to see people in the cars a light 30% tint should be allowed to have at least that much

nope, any front tint is illegal, minus the slight amount factory gives you. If you buy front tint from a dealership, it is still illegal. I have really really slight tint, and its not illegal, but anythign that is noticebly dark is. 30% is dark, and is really illegal

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Man I didn't know they had started cracking down. My front windows are tinted but only the lightest tint... guess I'll just have to be careful and keep an eye out for cops.

Xtrema
08-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I guess I'll drive my other car for the next little while...... sounds like a mad cash grab for the cops before they go hibenate in the winter.

Anything lower than 35% is really noticable. 35% is borderline, tint 40% and up is pretty much pointless.

Ben
08-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Where the hell have you been living?! Under a rock?! Everyone knows window film in front of the drivers shoulders is illegal. Always has. Way to keep up with the times.

3G
08-11-2005, 07:03 PM
loool i seen some guy in a 85ish tempo get pulled over for tint, the ticket will be more than his car is worth

dooman24
08-11-2005, 07:08 PM
:nut: :nut: :nut:

Originally posted by 3G
loool i seen some guy in a 85ish tempo get pulled over for tint, the ticket will be more than his car is worth

Kobe
08-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Isn't there suppose to be tint check stops???

Anyone seen one yet lol....

hockeybronx
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Where the hell have you been living?! Under a rock?! Everyone knows window film in front of the drivers shoulders is illegal. Always has. Way to keep up with the times.

Who are you talking to Ben?

88CRX
08-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Isn't there suppose to be tint check stops???

Anyone seen one yet lol....

you must be kidding :thumbsdow

Kobe
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

I wish :banghead:

http://www.cfcn.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B/20050804/tint?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=tint&date=20050804&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

?????
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

http://www.cfcn.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B/20050804/tint?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=tint&date=20050804&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

88CRX
08-11-2005, 09:13 PM
oh snap theres an ep3 in that cfcn link!!! shit !!!!! there coming for me :banghead: :D

redblack
08-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Sorry maybe I should be more clear I know that front window tint is illegal but I'm pretty sure that the back was not. There are plenty of cars with back windows tinted, and most mini vans and suv's when brought come with back window tint. Both cops only bitched about the back.

Leb_Rs
08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
back i dont think isnt but front sure in hell is !!!!

2.4l
08-12-2005, 01:57 AM
what a joke

Sorath
08-12-2005, 02:01 AM
depends on the province

czuy
08-12-2005, 02:22 AM
its not illegal just ur front two windows can be 35% and no less u can go as dark as like 2% ne whre else

?????
08-12-2005, 07:14 AM
http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/auto_provincelaws.html

Tyler883
08-12-2005, 07:29 AM
I thought I heard a cop quote someting about any modification that is not OEM can be viewed as ilegal. He was refering to lights, tinting - front and rear.

Can anyone confirm this?

old&slow
08-12-2005, 08:34 AM
Why was my tint ticket $115???

?????
08-12-2005, 08:36 AM
you had 2 windows tinted? ;)

Toms-SC
08-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by czuy
its not illegal just ur front two windows can be 35% and no less u can go as dark as like 2% ne whre else

your wrong

CRX-R
08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
CFCN.ca

POSTED AT 5:25 PM Thursday, August 04

Calgary Police are cracking down on vehicles with window tinting.

Police have not been enforcing the rule about tints, but that's about to change.

They will soon start handing out 57 dollar tickets, and can even tow your vehicle to a shop to have it removed, all at your expense.

Police say the tinted windows make it hard for drivers to see, and make it hard to identify a driver who has committed an offence.

Mostly, they are worried about officer safety when approaching a vehicle they can't see inside of.

Window tinting done at the factory is still allowed.

Window tint checkstops will begin this weekend and will run for two weeks.

Am I reading this wrong or am I Ok because VW put my tint on in the plant and I have the little 'printing' at the bottom of my window to prove it?

Rabid
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CRX-R
CFCN.ca

POSTED AT 5:25 PM Thursday, August 04

Calgary Police are cracking down on vehicles with window tinting.

Police have not been enforcing the rule about tints, but that's about to change.

They will soon start handing out 57 dollar tickets, and can even tow your vehicle to a shop to have it removed, all at your expense.

Police say the tinted windows make it hard for drivers to see, and make it hard to identify a driver who has committed an offence.

Mostly, they are worried about officer safety when approaching a vehicle they can't see inside of.

Window tinting done at the factory is still allowed.

Window tint checkstops will begin this weekend and will run for two weeks.

Am I reading this wrong or am I Ok because VW put my tint on in the plant and I have the little 'printing' at the bottom of my window to prove it?

As long as it came that way from the factory, ie: stock, then you're ok.

Khyron
08-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Holy fuck the press is messed up, or the cop they grabbed didn't know the right answer.

You can paint your rear windows with black paint and still be legal, it's only shoulders forward they care about. You just have to have outside mirrors. Otherwise SUVs full of stuff, or vans with no windows would be illegal. This is why the safety argument is BS. You could have 3 shotgun wielding ninjas in the backseat to blow away the cop before he even reaches the front window. If safety is a concern, the rear window would be the one they are worried about .

It's purely about the film. That's why "factory tint" is allowed - there is no film, it's in the glass. When a cop pulls you over, they will make you partially roll down the window so they can see the seam of the film. If it's not there, you're fine!

Khyron

CIVIC_MAN
08-12-2005, 12:03 PM
honestly, :whocares:

CRX-R
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Rabid

As long as it came that way from the factory, ie: stock, then you're ok.

Sweet, I have no doubt that I'll be getting pulled over for it. But the little writing in the bottom corner of the window that has the VW symbol and the 'DOT 130 Tinted' should make it go away! Thanks

Z_Fan
08-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
your wrong

That's for sure.

If you put a CLEAR glaze over your window simply to filter UV - that is technically illegal and you could be ticketed because the violation is identical to if you had put 100% block on your window. You are not allowed to put any film on your window. PERIOD.

35% or other numbers are just pulled out of someones ass. NO film on the driver/passenger front windows. It has been this way for a good twenty years!

Now, I still think the law is fucked up. I think there should be a screen of say 20%-30% that is legal on the driver/passenger front windows...but hey, that's just me. I used to have all my cars that I owned tinted.

Fact is, it does impair your vision at night - it can be dangerous - and that's for sure. None of my cars have tint now. :dunno:

The ticket is simply not enough to warrant the removal. Unfortunately, it's the RCMP that you don't want to get pulled over by for this infraction. The reason being that most of them will also issue you a notice of appearance at which you must present yourself and your car to the local RCMP detachment to prove you've removed your window tint.

When I was a big fan of tinting, I got such a ticket with a notice. I took the car in - had it removed - showed the car - put it back on half an hour later. The shop didn't charge me anything to remove it as part of the deal providing they could charge for the re-application. ;)

88CRX
08-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
When I was a big fan of tinting, I got such a ticket with a notice. I took the car in - had it removed - showed the car - put it back on half an hour later. The shop didn't charge me anything to remove it as part of the deal providing they could charge for the re-application. ;)

Thats a good idea.... i might use that :rofl:

old&slow
08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
The RCMP ticket I got was for $115!
Nobody know why they are costing more??

chimeraxp
08-13-2005, 08:45 AM
$57 X 2 windows = $114 looks like they rounded you up to $115.00 ,
really I have talked to people in the past that have gotten a ticket for tinting and the cops charged a whole lot more then this.

I personal think this is a good idea , some people have started to get out of hand with the whole tinting idea , I have never been one for tinting the forward 3 windows due to safety reasons , as stated in the news paper . but I have always tinted the rear windows .

paulnosty
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Can they actually tow you for it if you refuse to remove it and they have issued a ticket recently for it ?

I have one recent ticket on file so what happens the next time I get pulled over ?

Is there any way of telling or is it just a roll of the dice to see how much the cop wants to be a dick that day?

Other than that I am refusing to abide to the law cause there is no valid reason.

Passenger safety should count for all windows not having film that supposedly keeps glass together after shattering.

Officer safety as mention before is in danger from threats behind rear windows as well.

So just a cash grab from the rich n ballin ?! ;)

blitz
12-15-2011, 01:54 PM
6 year bump. Really?

Maxx Mazda
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah. My general attitude towards tint has alwas been "who gives a fuck." Every vehicle I own has dark ass windows all around. Just had my winter beater done last month:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5015/img1537h.jpg

C_Dave45
12-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by paulnosty
blah blah blah
Why the hell would you bump a 6 yr old thread??

Just get your drivers license?? It's always been illegal.

The BMW Guy
12-15-2011, 02:24 PM
What's wrong with bumping a 6 year thread?
Would you rather he not use the search button and make a new thread? :dunno:

-relk-
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy

:werd:

People complain when people don't search for threads, and then people complain when they do so, and then bump the old thread.

Its a lose lose scenario

Mar
12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
I've had mine for 6 years, been pulled over many times, passed many cops, nobody mentioned anything. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how you drive and talk to the cop.

Tomaz
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I've had mine for 6 years, been pulled over many times, passed many cops, nobody mentioned anything. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how you drive and talk to the cop.

Yup, my thoughts too.

I have had one tint ticket because i was caught speeding. It has been mentioned to me during a checkstop, but I mentioned to the officer that his main concern of being able to see into the car was addressed as i rolled down the windows on his side so he had clear vision. Out of respect. He let me off. :dunno:

clem24
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Of the 3 or so tickets I got in my car, not one cop mentioned the tinted windows... Although I do conscientiously roll them down before they get to my car just in case ;)

I DID get pulled over one time in Richmond, BC by a bored RCMP who advised me that someone stole by front license plate LOL, without realizing AB didn't use front plates. Then after he had nothing, he mentioned how tinted windows are illegal in BC but couldn't really write me a ticket as he was unsure of laws in AB LOL (and not sure he could've even written me up if he knew they were).

The BMW Guy
12-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Really pushing me towards getting my windows tinted with all these comments. My biggest concern was being paranoid of cops pulling me over just for my tint.

Obviously not getting anything dark, just would like a nice tint to help with the contrast and a little privacy for when I'm singing to myself :D
What's a good percentage, 30%, 35%?

For those who have been pulled over but not ticketed, what % tint do you have?

Mar
12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Really pushing me towards getting my windows tinted with all these comments. My biggest concern was being paranoid of cops pulling me over just for my tint.

Obviously not getting anything dark, just would like a nice tint to help with the contrast and a little privacy for when I'm singing to myself :D

See my above post.
Mine are 35% on all 5 windows of my coupe.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by clem24
and not sure he could've even written me up if he knew they were).

:rofl: You're lucky you got a noob RCMP. Regardless of Alberta laws, the vehicle is being driven in B.C., so B.C. rules apply.

To the guy who bumped the thread... legally even the first cop could have had your car towed as it is considered non-road worthy due to the tint (ridiculous, but true). However not a lot of cops are THAT big of dickheads, where they'd actually impound you.

Mar
12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:rofl: You're lucky you got a noob RCMP. Regardless of Alberta laws, the vehicle is being driven in B.C., so B.C. rules apply.
Foreign cars are not always bound by local laws, often they are exempt.

desi112
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
But somehow its perfectly legal to tint your windshield....GO FIGURE.

clem24
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM

LOL I think I have 15% or 20% all around ahahahaha. I went more conservative with my wife's van with 28% fronts and I think 20% back but makes it almost opaque due to the factory tint already on.

Originally posted by desi112
But somehow its perfectly legal to tint your windshield....GO FIGURE.

WTF.. No it's not.

Window glazing

70(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent, translucent or opaque material.

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2009_122.pdf

C_Dave45
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
I'd rather he use his noggin and realize the topic has been beat to death for the past 10 years, nothing has changed, and about as informative as a thread entitled "HEY...did you know you can't pass on a double solid line?!??!!??"

But I guess this is beyond...let's start the discussion ALLLL over again.

:rolleyes:

The BMW Guy
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't think you read his post at all did you?
I assume you think he is bumping this thread to ask if tinted windows are illegal.

He knows tint is illegal. He got a ticket already.
He's just asking if officers will actually tow his car if they pull him over a second time and he still has his tint.

It's okay, I blaze through posts sometimes too. :thumbsup:

Cos
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
A friend of mine just got a tint ticket a couple nights ago. Audi SUV. Grown man with his wife and baby in the backseat. Wasnt driving like an ass (he isnt like that).

So it does happen.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Errr no. When i got a tink ticket in Sask he had to radio back to the station where they checked the Ab Laws.

As soon as we cross the borders we dont have to put front plates on. TSA is king in the province in which the vehicle is registered.

paulnosty
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
One bump and this threads all the rage again!

I have full limo tint all the way around, and its a black 09 Suburban, with custom license plate. And I'm 25, I think thats why I get a lot of attention, Cops are jello! Because its not my driving.

I always roll my windows down as they approach, and Im super nice and co operative, and play dumb like its my first time getting pulled over. I guess I just have bad window tint ticket luck. :facepalm:

I had 30 on my car before and I still got a ticket, so figured might as well go all the way if your getting tickets anyways!

Now I roll my windows down every time I pass a cop !

Tomaz
12-16-2011, 01:01 PM

What can I do ?

Don't drive like a cock, and you should only get the odd ticket.

Odds of the cops towing are very slim, again, don't be a cock.

If you are super concerned, don't tint/remove tint.

Cos
12-16-2011, 03:07 PM
and play dumb like its my first time getting pulled over. !

You know they can see every ticket/warning you get right? So they know you are BS'ing them which probably isnt helping the situation.

luxor
12-16-2011, 04:03 PM

30-35% is nowhere near enough for other to not be able to tell you are singing to yourself. Try 5-20%.

Originally posted by Cos

You know they can see every ticket/warning you get right? So they know you are BS'ing them which probably isnt helping the situation.

You sure about that? I'm sure they can too if they dig for it, or radio in, but I don't think they can see your past tickets by just running your name and plate on a routine traffic stop. Warrants are different, I know they can see that right away.

Please provide your source for them being able to see every ticket/warning. I've told a cop some bullshit before just to see if they could find my past tickets and they weren't able to call my bs, and if they did all I would have to say is I "forgot" about that time, but they didn't.

clem24
12-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by luxor
You sure about that? I'm sure they can too if they dig for it, or radio in, but I don't think they can see your past tickets by just running your name and plate on a routine traffic stop. Warrants are different, I know they can see that right away.

I've wondered about that... Though I do know when you're at the JP, you absolutely cannot BS them cause they can pull up every single ticket you've gotten since the time you were conceived. I know cause I snuck a peek at the JPs screen when he had my history up on it and there was stuff dating right back to when I first started driving.

Cos
12-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Please provide your source for them being able to see every ticket/warning. I've told a cop some bullshit before just to see if they could find my past tickets and they weren't able to call my bs, and if they did all I would have to say is I "forgot" about that time, but they didn't.

Yes if they want to read farther they can. However you may not have the time or you may end up being read into another person and they may not bother reading your file. The reason is that the internal computer system is comprehensive and when you search a name comes up with a percentage. It is the percent chance it is the person it is you. It also ranks depending on probability v. safety risks.

Say you run your name, there is a guy in Vancouver with a warrant for murder, sexual assault, and assault of an officer. Even if you have a different middle name and DOB it will say '38%' and list the offenses and most likely show him first (I dont know the rules behind how the computer worked). This is to save the officer in case he got your name or info wrong or you are lying. Anything over 97 or 98% is considered your file. If they run your plate they get your vehicle and you right away.

If you pull up the full report it tells you everything. It even tells you the times you were stopped and nothing happened.

My cousin is with the CPS on the street. A friend of mine is the CLO in D6. I have gone on 3 ride along's (two with D1 in vans where we routinely ran plates) with different teams and districts and got 1/2 through my application with the CPS.

And just to note while I am on this. When there are two officers they are running ever plate they can get into the system. It is insane. If you are even 3 or 4 car up they rum them.

edit: Just a caveat. I cant remember if they can pull out of province plates. For some reason I want to say those had to be radio'd in but I cant remember.

99.999% cops know more than they lead on. Most cops can be the most stone cold fuckers I know. Even if they know you are lying but it wont benefit anything to call you on it they will just let it go. As hard as it is to believe they are some of the most mentally and emotionally stable people I have ever met.

JustGo
12-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Yes if they want to read farther they can. However you may not have the time or you may end up being read into another person and they may not bother reading your file. The reason is that the internal computer system is comprehensive and when you search a name comes up with a percentage. It is the percent chance it is the person it is you. It also ranks depending on probability v. safety risks.

Say you run your name, there is a guy in Vancouver with a warrant for murder, sexual assault, and assault of an officer. Even if you have a different middle name and DOB it will say '38%' and list the offenses and most likely show him first (I dont know the rules behind how the computer worked). This is to save the officer in case he got your name or info wrong or you are lying. Anything over 97 or 98% is considered your file. If they run your plate they get your vehicle and you right away.

If you pull up the full report it tells you everything. It even tells you the times you were stopped and nothing happened.

My cousin is with the CPS on the street. A friend of mine is the CLO in D6. I have gone on 3 ride along's (two with D1 in vans where we routinely ran plates) with different teams and districts and got 1/2 through my application with the CPS.

And just to note while I am on this. When there are two officers they are running ever plate they can get into the system. It is insane. If you are even 3 or 4 car up they rum them.

edit: Just a caveat. I cant remember if they can pull out of province plates. For some reason I want to say those had to be radio'd in but I cant remember.

99.999% cops know more than they lead on. Most cops can be the most stone cold fuckers I know. Even if they know you are lying but it wont benefit anything to call you on it they will just let it go. As hard as it is to believe they are some of the most mentally and emotionally stable people I have ever met.
You're pretty close with your explanation of how further checks are conducted, with the exception of the percentage thing... just a minor difference, it's shown as a score.

Say your name is John W. Smith, and you were born 1950/01/01. I enter your name and birth date. Since there are a million John Smith's, it will show me a score out of usually about 42. If you've never had a criminal history, there will be no perfect score matches. The best I will get will be a John M. Smith born on 1951/01/01, and his score will be like a 35. So that's a pretty close score, that might warrant some more digging to make sure you're not lying about your middle name and birth year, since those are easy to lie about. Under that it will show John M. Smith's CRIMINAL history. Not ticket's or anything like that. It will also show if he's currently facing any charges, or if he has any outstanding warrants.

Under that, there will be a John W. Smith, born 1962/04/24 who will have a score of 16 due to the birthday being so far off... so pretty much eliminating him as a possibility. So on and so forth, as the scores get lower and lower.

Now if you have an uncommon name, let's say you had parents that were smoking some of the really good stuff, and named you Huckleberry Finn, and you were born 1976/07/19... if you don't have a criminal record, chances are slim you'll get anyone with a score above 0 back...

As far as seeing previous tickets, that information is kept in a separate program that we can access in the car as well. I only check that info once in a while, like if someone has no bumpers on their car, or something ridiculous and they say they didn't know it was illegal, I'll check to see if they've gotten a ticket for it before... caught a couple dummies like that...

'Oh geez, officer, I didn't even know it was illegal to not have bumpers on my car'...
'You got a ticket for it 2 months ago...' .....
'Ohhhhh thaaaat ticket....'.....
'Yeeeaahhhhhh..... ' :rolleyes:

Also, we have an agreement with.... I'm gonna say 7 or 8 of the other provinces where we can run the plates and see the registered owner information... there are 3 or 4 provinces that won't give us any info back (but I'm not gonna say which ones... :D )

On a side note, speaking of checking people's names on our system... first, don't lie to the police about your name. It's stupid. 98% of the time we will catch you in your lie, and you'll be in more crap than you would have been to begin with. Those 2%, they are obviously pro's at lying about their name. I've been snowed a couple times by people who have been using a fake name for years, they even have their own criminal record under that name, and will use whichever name doesn't currently have warrants. But I'm pretty sure nobody on beyond is that far into the criminal realm, so just don't even try to lie.

If you have ever possessed a valid, government issued identification card/license in Canada, you WILL show up on our system. It's fun when someone lies to me, I check the system, they don't show up, and I can go back and say 'Wow, you don't even exist right now, that's a crazy magic trick!'.

Anyways, that was a bit of a rant, but hopefully somewhat informative to the inquiring minds...

Cos
12-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by JustGo

You're pretty close with your explanation of how further checks are conducted, with the exception of the percentage thing... just a minor difference, it's shown as a score.

Dammit that is right. Last time I went out was in 2008 so it has been a while and this isnt typical pub conversation. Hahahah

JustGo
12-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Dammit that is right. Last time I went out was in 2008 so it has been a while and this isnt typical pub conversation. Hahahah
Hey, not a bad memory for 3 years ago.... I pretty much forget how that stuff works every day! :nut:

paulnosty
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Just an Update from the guy who bumped the thread when he got a ticket 3 weeks ago.

Got a ticket yesterday again !

A cop passed me as I was leaving the mall parking lot, he literally turned around followed me out past 2 lights and pulled me over.

Even though some of you guys have experienced luck I feel I am not in the same boat. My suburban just attracts too much attention as is, and Edmonton police just have a hard on for me. This is seriously so retarded but after getting 2 tickets in 3 weeks, and being threatened by cops that next time they will tow me, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Now my Vehicle is going to look shitty, and Im going to get blinded by lights constantly.

Thanks COPS, You Win !

clem24
01-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Even though some of you guys have experienced luck I feel I am not in the same boat. My suburban just attracts too much attention as is, and Edmonton police just have a hard on for me. This is seriously so retarded but after getting 2 tickets in 3 weeks, and being threatened by cops that next time they will tow me, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Hmm it seems like EPS and cracking down on this WAAAAY more than CPS. My friend who lives in Edmonton says he's now had a few tickets. I guess EPS really needs the cash.

schocker
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Now my Vehicle is going to look shitty, and Im going to get blinded by lights constantly.

Thanks COPS, You Win !
I sold my car that had mild tint on every window and am now driving a car with zero tint and it is like night and day. During the day the sun kills me and every set of headlights is like high beams. Cant wait to get back to a car with some tint :rofl:

Maxx Mazda
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Have the front Windows smoked instead of film so they can't peel it off?

rage2
01-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Where can you get that done? I have yet to find a place that can do it.

C_Dave45
01-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Thanks COPS, You Win !

:cry:

JustinMCS
01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Apparently they're starting to focus on window tint again....

Maxx Mazda
01-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Where can you get that done? I have yet to find a place that can do it.

I'll look into it. That way, you can just say "no it's factory" and let him try to peel it off to prove it. No ticket.

If he still gives you a ticket, oh well, you're exactly where you would have been with film on the window, only now you won't have to get it redone if he picks at it.

adam c
01-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

one of my mom's cars had this, she still got tickets even though it was factory

revelations
01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
All my vehicles have had 35-40% tint on the fronts (20% in the back), and in 15 years I've never had issues with cops.

luxor
01-07-2012, 12:41 AM
What the fuck kind of % are you guys running that makes is a "night and day difference"? Limo tint? well no shit.

I have 20% all around on my personal vehicle, and my company vehicle has no tints in the front and its honestly not that bad, I don't even notice that there's no tint there most of the time. Usually you are looking out your WINDSHIELD, not your side windows anyways. If it wasn't for the tint that was already installed on my personal vehicle, I probably wouldn't have even put it on just so these cops can't harass me for some stupid shit whenever they get bored during their miserable shift.

The best part about having everything legal on your vehicle is that you can shit talk to the cops after you get pulled over and they can't give you anything else, all they get is another shitty day at work lol.

charlie2
01-07-2012, 08:37 AM
There is no such thing as "factory" front window tint that I am aware of. Maybe on a $500,000 bentley, but your average north american car does not have "factory" tint on the front windows.....some of you will disagree i am sure, so prove me wrong and I will take it back....and "my mom's acura has it" isn't proving anything.

As for smoking the glass, if you could manage to somehow smoke the glass then you wold be able to have tint as the legislation reads something about "glazing" or "film". You will still get stopped, you will still get a ticket, you'll have to prove yourself in court with receipts or what have you. Still a big waste of your time.

The whole reason tint is illegal is it defeats the safety glass feature on the front windows. When in a collision the glass doesn't break into many little pieces and crumble. It stays held together, in a couple of big chunks or one big piece, by the window tint film and can and will act like a big blade of glass and do some serious damage, and or possibly decapitation in some circumstances....yes it happens. It also creates obvious problems with being able to make eye contact with other drivers on the road leading to collisions.

speedog
01-07-2012, 08:40 AM
"Now my Vehicle is going to look shitty, and Im going to get blinded by lights constantly."

"During the day the sun kills me and every set of headlights is like high beams."

C'mon. Is this shit for real? Been driving for 35 years now and can't ever recall having these issues despite never once having a vehicle that had tinted windows beyond what came from the factory. The sun kills me - that's almost too rich and my vehicle's going to look shitty because of no tint, oh the humanity.

C_Dave45
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by schocker
During the day the sun kills me and every set of headlights is like high beams.

Shocker:

http://images.wikia.com/marvelmovies/images/2/25/Deacon_Frost.jpg

cancer man
01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by speedog
"Now my Vehicle is going to look shitty, and Im going to get blinded by lights constantly."

"During the day the sun kills me and every set of headlights is like high beams."

C'mon. Is this shit for real? Been driving for 35 years now and can't ever recall having these issues despite never once having a vehicle that had tinted windows beyond what came from the factory. The sun kills me - that's almost too rich and my vehicle's going to look shitty because of no tint, oh the humanity.

Chill bro maybe he's an albino?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dogman8018/Family.jpg

revelations
01-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by charlie2
There is no such thing as "factory" front window tint that I am aware of. Maybe on a $500,000 bentley, but your average north american car does not have "factory" tint on the front windows.....some of you will disagree i am sure, so prove me wrong and I will take it back....and "my mom's acura has it" isn't proving anything.

As for smoking the glass, if you could manage to somehow smoke the glass then you wold be able to have tint as the legislation reads something about "glazing" or "film". You will still get stopped, you will still get a ticket, you'll have to prove yourself in court with receipts or what have you. Still a big waste of your time.

The whole reason tint is illegal is it defeats the safety glass feature on the front windows. When in a collision the glass doesn't break into many little pieces and crumble. It stays held together, in a couple of big chunks or one big piece, by the window tint film and can and will act like a big blade of glass and do some serious damage, and or possibly decapitation in some circumstances....yes it happens. It also creates obvious problems with being able to make eye contact with other drivers on the road leading to collisions.

All your other points are valid however the reason why tinted front glass was made illegal in AB (provincial law) was because it makes identifying the driver very difficult.

schocker
01-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I am not albino but yes it does make me feel like a vampire now. One hand on the wheel, other hand on the sun visor :rofl:
Might have exagerated on the high beams due to the fact a very large number of calgarians do not know they have them on :nut:

luxor
01-07-2012, 11:50 AM

The whole reason tint is illegal is it defeats the safety glass feature on the front windows. When in a collision the glass doesn't break into many little pieces and crumble. It stays held together, in a couple of big chunks or one big piece, by the window tint film and can and will act like a big blade of glass and do some serious damage, and or possibly decapitation in some circumstances....yes it happens.

Not even close. Please tell me where you got this information from? Provide sources that prove TEMPERED side windows don't get broken into little pieces due to a tint FILM.

Khyron
01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Not even close. Please tell me where you got this information from? Provide sources that prove TEMPERED side windows don't get broken into little pieces due to a tint FILM.

That's the reason I've heard as well - not so much that it will slash you into pieces, but for EMS to break the side window.

Disoblige
01-07-2012, 12:08 PM

:werd:

Kavy
01-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Windshields are laminated glass and the rest of your car is tempered.

Laminated windows break like this

http://www.tintworks.net/crowbar.jpg

Because of the FILM they have on the inside of them. It is extremely difficult to penetrate a front windshield because of this film. Notice the fact that instead of breaking into little pieces the window at point of impact beads but further out locations become large sharp shards. This film (and its extreme strength) prevent those shards from separating.

Tempered glass breaks into tiny little pieces like this.

http://www.tintworks.net/Car%20window%20film%20broken%20glass.jpg

Add a film to it (like window tint) and you remove the protective system put into the window. The window WILL break into beads at point of impact but larger shards will be created due to the adhesive properties of the window tint. Because it is much thinner and weaker then the laminate used on the front windshield you can expect those shards to potentially break free from the rest of the window and move inwards.

The rationale for the law is that it's important for pedestrians to be able to see the driver of a vehicle and make eye contact before crossing the street. Other drivers also need to make eye contact before entering traffic, etc. Under certain light conditions (such as at night), a dark tint can adversely affect a driver's ability to see out, particularly if it's raining or the windows are dirty. The police also like to be able to see the driver as they approach a vehicle.

So long story short, he was not correct in the breakage reasoning on it being illegal. However he was correct in Tint being a safety issue when applied to tempered glass on motor vehicles.

I know you wanted "sources" but there is hundreds by just typing film on tempered window into Google.

Disoblige
01-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

I know you wanted "sources" but there is hundreds by just typing film on tempered window into Google.
Actually, if you type that in (film or tint), you get thousands of hits saying the film itself adds safety and strength to tempered glass lol.

Most sources say this: "When film is applied to this type of glass, it holds the little pieces together. This lessens the possibility of human injury and interior damage if you are in an accident"

So, I still agree with luxor. Tempered glass is still going to break into little pieces, but the tint may hold those pieces together is all. But the pieces are shattered already, I doubt it's going to pose the same risk as if it was one large piece of untempered glass.

Edit: Kinda like this:

http://www.car2tint.co.uk/images/window-big.jpg

TomcoPDR
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Shocker:

http://images.wikia.com/marvelmovies/images/2/25/Deacon_Frost.jpg

Originally posted by cancer man

Chill bro maybe he's an albino?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/dogman8018/Family.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No offense, but you old timers are classic... :clap: :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

revelations
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
The rationale for the law is that it's important for pedestrians to be able to see the driver of a vehicle and make eye contact before crossing the street

Whats your source for this? I was with the RCMP for 2 years in BC, where I worked with the Traffic division on occasion, and they all said the law was originally brought about because of the need to ID a driver - in case of a hit and run for eg.

All the other reasons (officer safety, better driver visibility, shattering vs. not) were secondary.

Khyron
01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

So, I still agree with luxor. Tempered glass is still going to break into little pieces, but the tint may hold those pieces together is all. But the pieces are shattered already, I doubt it's going to pose the same risk as if it was one large piece of untempered glass.

Edit: Kinda like this:

http://www.car2tint.co.uk/images/window-big.jpg

That's the point - if EMS is bashing your window to get you out or open the door they WANT it to shatter into tiny little pieces and out of the way vs the giant pieces all stuck together above.

I don't really buy the cop visibility option since it's legal to paint the rear windows with black paint. Sure you can see the driver but what about the thug in the backseat with the shotgun?

Disoblige
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
^^ Sure, but I suppose we were talking about 2 different things.

I was just responding to charlie2's post that stated the glass stays in chunks or one big piece and could possibly cause decapitation. Didn't buy that, that's all.

J-hop
01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

I don't really buy the cop visibility option since it's legal to paint the rear windows with black paint. Sure you can see the driver but what about the thug in the backseat with the shotgun?

in a car and driver article several months ago now, they interviewed a cali state trooper and their #1 concern when pulling over a car is being able to see the driver and what they are doing so I think that theory has merit. Plus there isn't always someone in the back but 100% of the time there is going to be a driver...

I don't buy the glass breaking off in large dangerous chunks either. If it did cause this much of a safety hazard dealerships would not tint windows in fear of legal repercussions. you are NOT compromising the safety features of the glass by tinting it with film.

C_Dave45
01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
What does it matter "why" it's illegal? :dunno: It's illegal. Always has been. /thread

charlie2
01-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Lemme see if I can find some pictures to back up my statement.....I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true. Decapitation by tint is Rare, but can happen.

Large chunks of glass held together by tint in a collision is not rare. I should be able to find pics of that no problem.

Gimme a day or two

Kavy
01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Whats your source for this?

Court

I copy and pasted exactly what was presented on paper by the crown when I attempted fighting the ticket.

Doesn't necessarily mean its correct.

luxor
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I posted this in a similar tint thread a while back:

"The tempered glass is made so that the whole thing is internally stressed and any crack will transfer the stress throughout the glass causing the whole thing to shatter into little pieces."

Source:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-tempered-glass.htm

"Automobiles use a different type of safety glass for the windshield and tempered glass for the back and side windows. Windshields are made from laminated glass, which sandwiches a sheet of plastic between two panels of glass. When the windshield breaks, the glass panels stick to the plastic film, rather than falling away to possibly injure the driver or other passengers.

Tempered glass breaks in a unique way. If any part of the glass fails, the entire panel shatters at once. This distinguishes it from normal glass, which might experience a small crack or localized breakage from an isolated impact. Tempered glass might also fail long after the event that caused the failure. Stresses continue to play until the defect erupts, triggering breakage of the entire panel. "

Now everybody, stop spreading useless false information. There is no fucking way a piece of tint can reverse tempered glass to break like normal glass.

J-hop
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Lemme see if I can find some pictures to back up my statement.....I wouldn't have said it if it wasn't true. Decapitation by tint is Rare, but can happen.

Large chunks of glass held together by tint in a collision is not rare. I should be able to find pics of that no problem.

Gimme a day or two

find me a single case where someone was decapitated or seriously hurt because of tint causing the tempered glass to break off in large chunks.

Disoblige
01-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I should be able to find pics of that no problem.

Gimme a day or two
:rofl:

Everlast
01-09-2012, 03:10 PM

That's just silly. Sunglasses aren't illegal.

Disoblige
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Been a couple days. Pics?

HHURICANE1
01-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Here's the solution for all your tinting problems.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/14/dual-power-windows-emphasis-on-dual/

Maxx Mazda
01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
Here's the solution for all your tinting problems.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/14/dual-power-windows-emphasis-on-dual/

I'd fuck with cops ALL the time! Haha!

Get pulled over, wait till he's walking up to the car, roll the tinted window down. When he asks you to roll it up so he can check for film, up comes the clear one.

http://blog.gushcloud.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/z3450_mind-blown.jpg