Quantcast
Selling speakers from the back of a van - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling speakers from the back of a van

Default Selling speakers from the back of a van

Saw these guys today in a parking lot at Crowfoot centre. Tried to sell me "premium" speakers from the back of their van. They pretended that they had acquired them illicitly (extra speakers given on a shipment). I know most people on here would see through this scam right away, but you may have friends or relatives that would not.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

If this is from a white Chevy Astro van then join the rest of the ppl

A new thing I encounted this Saturday was a guy driving around in a rental at Future Shop asking for directions to the airport then after giving them, hes all I am from Italy, in his Italian accent, I work for Giorgio Armani, and I have 4 very nice jackets for sale very cheap, I sell to u discount, then he showed me his Armani catalog and everything, $400 for leather jackets?I assume fake?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Yah the guy's been up to me a few times at malborough mall trying to sell speakers to me. He's dressed up in a business suit and claims its very high end and price can't be beat. Was offering them for a either couple/few hundred. Both times i've said i haven't got any cash on me and they insist that its not a problem and they'll drive me to the bank to get the cash. After that i just say no i'm not interested and they continue their plead and i just walk away.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by dj_rice
    If this is from a white Chevy Astro van then join the rest of the ppl

A new thing I encounted this Saturday was a guy driving around in a rental at Future Shop asking for directions to the airport then after giving them, hes all I am from Italy, in his Italian accent, I work for Giorgio Armani, and I have 4 very nice jackets for sale very cheap, I sell to u discount, then he showed me his Armani catalog and everything, $400 for leather jackets?I assume fake?
    Ahahahahha, that guy's been looking for the Airport for years!

Originally posted by dj_rice
    [B]If this is from a white Chevy Astro van then join the rest of the ppl
    Dodge caravan with fleet plates (i.e. rental), this time. Wine colored, I think.

I was like, "Hey, I read stories about you guys on the internet!" and they took off.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

Those guys have been around for years....

So what's the story about these "salesman" anyways? I've had them approach me before but just felt sketchy about the whole thing and ended up just walking away.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    So what's the story about these "salesman" anyways? I've had them approach me before but just felt sketchy about the whole thing and ended up just walking away.

Prolli selling 5 finger discount shit?

I'd like more info on the Giorgio Armani guy....are those jackets fake?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    05 GSXR600

ya hahaha that happened to me a few times...weird

Originally posted by BokCh0y
    These guys are often selling legitimately bought merchandise, of low quality, represented as high quality. They often have glossy brochures of contrived audiophile magazines with their product represented as the second coming. The product usually has a "suggested retail price" printed right on the label on the back of the speakers. Walk into a retail store and see how many have that on the speaker nameplate--none of them do. They act like you're getting a great deal, because they acquired them by an accidental factory mistake and just want to offload them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/4/9/224439/1810
    Last edited by barbarian; 07-03-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Originally posted by barbarian

These guys are often selling legitimately bought merchandise, of low quality, represented as high quality. They often have glossy brochures of contrived audiophile magazines with their product represented as the second coming. The product usually has a "suggested retail price" printed right on the label on the back of the speakers. Walk into a retail store and see how many have that on the speaker nameplate--none of them do. They act like you're getting a great deal, because they acquired them by an accidental factory mistake and just want to offload them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/4/9/224439/1810
    Thank-You very much for the information. I knew it was sketchy but did not know to what extent.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

My buddy actually bought some of those speakers, they were $300, and worth maybe $30. Made in Taiwan, sounded awful, the box was made of thin partical board, it was hilarious. Man was he ticked.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

I bought some of these (PSD 2.8's) out of the back of some guys van, hes like these speakers are $3000 EACH and showed me all these shitty made brochures saying that they are sound booth quaility etc etc...

he tells me he will cut me a deal and give me a pair for $1000

I offer him $100 for four. LOL, He takes it.

They are actually fairly decent... not super quality or anything, but better than shite wal-mart crap.

My Ride
    2000 323i

Originally posted by DeeK
    he tells me he will cut me a deal and give me a pair for $1000

I offer him $100 for four. LOL, He takes it.

They are actually fairly decent... not super quality or anything, but better than shite wal-mart crap.
    Hahah, great. I'll keep an eye out for them.
    Mike

My Ride
    180sx

ya I bouth theatre research towers off these guys but the quality is excellent they are the best quality and I have them hooked up to my basement stereo and ya suggested sale price 3000 each I picked them up for 300.
    Payner

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Payner
    ya I bouth theatre research towers off these guys but the quality is excellent they are the best quality and I have them hooked up to my basement stereo and ya suggested sale price 3000 each I picked them up for 300.
    If you think those are the "best quality", you have never heard good speakers. Hell, you have never heard $100 bookshelf speakers from futureshop, because trust me, they are shit.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

haha.. i got suckered into buying a pair for $300 around 4 years ago.. i wonder if they're trying to sell the same brands as before

yes they are crappy speakers!

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

it makes me think...For you people that bought shit from these people, did you ever get the thought into your head that something wasn't right..Or when something is too good to be true, it probably is...

If your buying crap from out of a back of a van at a so called discouted price, then you deserved getting ripped off....lol

Originally posted by Payner
    are you one of the guys who is doing this?

My Ride
    POS

Those guys will take ANY amount of money you have or can get within a few hour time period. They are selling junk, it is an actual job to take that crap and sell it, the details I am unsure of but I am 100% sure those guys are not selling stolen shit or no factory mistake shit. that is their fulltime j.o.b

selling product that is heavy on the look cheap on the last

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast