Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Hong Kong Style Pancake / Egg Waffles

Author
Thread
kenc
Neutral

What I drive: Toyota FJ Cruiser
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 99%

Talking Hong Kong Style Pancake? quote:

I have no idea what they are called in English, but they are called "little chicken egg" in Cantonese (JJ). They are these Hong Kong style Pancakes, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I know The Desert House (B-Jai) used to have it, but everytime I call they said "not serving that today". It gets very frustrating.

Do you guys know of any other place in town that sells this? I know Edmonton and Vancouver both have places that serve this.

But any place in Calgary?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-27-2007 01:18 AM
kenc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenc Click here to Send kenc a Private Message Visit kenc's homepage! Find more posts by kenc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Rav4Guy
First Gear

What I drive: V8 Toy
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (15)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

^ not any places that are good... very few places see those "little chicken eggs". Lots of those places in Vancouver... *sigh*... I miss eating them too.

Old Post 01-27-2007 01:22 AM
Rav4Guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rav4Guy Click here to Send Rav4Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Rav4Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZZT23
Neutral

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (7)

quote:

What they had ever served that before? They are never even open when I want to go there.
I heard nobody sells it in Calgary, but I live life under a rock. If there really are such places that offer them please enlighten me.

Old Post 01-27-2007 01:25 AM
ZZT23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZZT23 Click here to Send ZZT23 a Private Message Find more posts by ZZT23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GTS Jeff
Resurrected from the dead

What I drive: Medical Condition
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (13)

Re: Hong Kong Style Pancake? quote:

Originally posted by kenc
I have no idea what they are called in English, but they are called "little chicken egg" in Cantonese (JJ). They are these Hong Kong style Pancakes, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I know The Desert House (B-Jai) used to have it, but everytime I call they said "not serving that today". It gets very frustrating.

Do you guys know of any other place in town that sells this? I know Edmonton and Vancouver both have places that serve this.

But any place in Calgary?

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Whoa whoa where in Edmonton?

Old Post 01-27-2007 09:49 AM
GTS Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GTS Jeff Click here to Send GTS Jeff a Private Message Find more posts by GTS Jeff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitetiger
Neutral

What I drive: rental
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Yea in Vancouver, in that "Arbahden mall" (spelling) in the food court.

Don't think there's a market in Calgary, they only go for like $3-6 MAX. (if it's more expensive, then all the Chinese parents will complain: "Waaaaa, that too expensive")

Something like that you make money on volume. And those machines (NOT the steel rack you cook on an open flame, but the electric ones aren't cheap)

And if anyone wants to buy a STEEL FRAMED "little chicken egg" thingy, let me know.

Old Post 01-27-2007 09:59 AM
Whitetiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitetiger Click here to Send Whitetiger a Private Message Find more posts by Whitetiger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BoS_DC2
First Gear

What I drive: 97' DC2R
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Whitetiger
Yea in Vancouver, in that "Arbahden mall" (spelling) in the food court.

Don't think there's a market in Calgary, they only go for like $3-6 MAX. (if it's more expensive, then all the Chinese parents will complain: "Waaaaa, that too expensive"

Something like that you make money on volume. And those machines (NOT the steel rack you cook on an open flame, but the electric ones aren't cheap)

And if anyone wants to buy a STEEL FRAMED "little chicken egg" thingy, let me know.

Aberdeen Mall in Richmond? Mmmm.. It's not that hard to make..

Old Post 01-27-2007 02:09 PM
BoS_DC2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BoS_DC2 Click here to Send BoS_DC2 a Private Message Find more posts by BoS_DC2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaroxantu Zero
Beyond Member of the Year 2009

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (60)

quote:

Originally posted by Whitetiger

The electric ones doesn't taste as good as the steel framed one anyway. :P

Sushi Bazooka Review | Sushi Magic Review | Magic Bullet Review | Slap Chop Review

Old Post 01-27-2007 04:11 PM
Xaroxantu Zero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xaroxantu Zero Click here to Send Xaroxantu Zero a Private Message Visit Xaroxantu Zero's homepage! Find more posts by Xaroxantu Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HiSpec
Second Gear

What I drive: AWD grandpa wagon
Posts/Day: 0.42
User Rating: 94%

quote:

^^

HK traditional street-side style FTW

Old Post 01-27-2007 07:14 PM
HiSpec is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HiSpec Click here to Send HiSpec a Private Message Find more posts by HiSpec Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boomph
Neutral

What I drive:
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

Yah if anybody knows where to get some SHARE THE WEALTH!!!

Old Post 01-27-2007 07:31 PM
Boomph is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boomph Click here to Send Boomph a Private Message Find more posts by Boomph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buh_buh
Mr. Beyond

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.34
Trader Rating: (37)

quote:

damn I used to love that shit as a kid, and still do even now.

Old Post 01-27-2007 08:49 PM
buh_buh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buh_buh Click here to Send buh_buh a Private Message Find more posts by buh_buh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadowz
Third Gear

What I drive: UCF20/R35
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

I had some from desert house not close to as good, I just get my friends to overnight them from van to me sooooo good

Originally posted by rage2
Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

Old Post 01-27-2007 09:21 PM
shadowz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadowz Click here to Send shadowz a Private Message Find more posts by shadowz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenc
Neutral

quote:

I just had some in Edmonton yesterday hehe. 98th Ave near all the Chinese shops, it's a cafe called Tan Fan Bui (ĵfM, didn't pay attention to its proper English name...)

Ken

Old Post 01-30-2007 04:34 AM
kenc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenc Click here to Send kenc a Private Message Visit kenc's homepage! Find more posts by kenc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Street vending is only good when there's traffic. I have not tasted anything in Canada that tasted remotely close to HK.

Old Post 01-30-2007 06:45 AM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GTS Jeff
Resurrected from the dead

What I drive: Medical Condition
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (13)

quote:

I just had some in Edmonton yesterday hehe. 98th Ave near all the Chinese shops, it's a cafe called Tan Fan Bui (ĵfM, didn't pay attention to its proper English name...)

Ken

Sweet, thanks. Imma check it out.

Old Post 01-30-2007 06:31 PM
GTS Jeff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GTS Jeff Click here to Send GTS Jeff a Private Message Find more posts by GTS Jeff Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenc
Neutral

quote:

No one know of any in Calgary? AT ALL?

Old Post 01-30-2007 07:16 PM
C4S
Third Gear

What I drive: Megun/Serpent/Losi/Xray/Kyosho/AE/Hpi .. 965 ..
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 89%

quote:

Buy the machine from HK .. and start your own business!!

Or just go HK and eat them ..

Even Van .. Toronto .. NY etc .. they sell those " little egg cake "

I tried those in Calgary and Edmonton before .. but like $5 or $6 .. vs $1 in HK .. or say $2US in NY and $3 in Van ..

GOOD LUCK ..

1234567, hҦho

Old Post 01-30-2007 08:24 PM
C4S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C4S Click here to Send C4S a Private Message Visit C4S's homepage! Find more posts by C4S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitetiger
Neutral

quote:

No one know of any in Calgary? AT ALL?

I dont know of any (as of now), but like I said, if you wanna make your own I've got a steel frame for it; make it at your next BBQ party or something.

Old Post 01-30-2007 09:13 PM
Whitetiger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whitetiger Click here to Send Whitetiger a Private Message Find more posts by Whitetiger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ogpog
Banned

What I drive: FG Civic
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Anybody got any pics of what you are all talking about?

Old Post 01-30-2007 09:18 PM
ogpog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ogpog Click here to Send ogpog a Private Message Find more posts by ogpog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaroxantu Zero
Beyond Member of the Year 2009

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (60)

quote:

Sushi Bazooka Review | Sushi Magic Review | Magic Bullet Review | Slap Chop Review

Old Post 01-30-2007 09:40 PM
Xaroxantu Zero is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xaroxantu Zero Click here to Send Xaroxantu Zero a Private Message Visit Xaroxantu Zero's homepage! Find more posts by Xaroxantu Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whitetiger
Neutral

quote:

Can't find it right now (in the basement somewhere) but thanks ^^^^ for the pics, it's that steel frame that makes the shape of the little eggs. And you put the frame on open flame like a white person would to waffles.

And other ppl in here are saying steel frames way are better than electric ones.

Originally posted by ogpog
Anybody got any pics of what you are all talking about?

Old Post 01-30-2007 10:02 PM
The time now is 08:23 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Hong Kong Style Pancake / Egg Waffles

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: