My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Ottawa sued over car import rules

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...bColumnsBlogs/

I hope BMW has to pay out BIG.

GREG KEENAN

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

February 28, 2008 at 1:48 AM EST

Two vehicle leasing companies have launched a class-action lawsuit on cross-border vehicle shopping with a new twist, alleging Transport Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency were participants in a conspiracy to keep vehicle prices high.

The two arms of the government have been named along with BMW Canada Inc., Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. and Mercedes-Benz USA LLC in a lawsuit that alleges actions they required of people or companies trying to import U.S. vehicles into Canada reduced competition and enabled prices of vehicles sold here to be 20 per cent to 35 per cent higher than similar U.S. models.

The auto makers, Transport Canada and the CBSA imposed restrictions on vehicle importers that created additional fees and charges, said a statement of claim filed with the Ontario Superior Court.

Fournier Leasing Co. Ltd. and Canadian Auto Associates Ltd. are seeking damages that total in excess of $1-billion.

“These additional charges, fees procedures and restrictions prevent more competitively priced Mercedes vehicles from entering into the Canadian market, thereby enabling the Mercedes defendants to charge higher prices for new vehicles sold and leased by them in Canada,” the statement said.

For Mercedes and BMW, “these additional fees and charges are not payable under Canadian law,” the lawsuit said.

The charges have not been proven in court and none of the defendants in the lawsuit has filed a statement of defence.

JoAnne Caza, a spokeswoman for Mercedes-Benz Canada, would not comment. BMW Canada spokeswoman Stacy Morris said the auto maker was not aware that any such lawsuit has been filed.

The two luxury auto makers were among the first companies to offer cash incentives in Canada last fall when the Canadian dollar hit par against the U.S. currency. The rise of the loonie enabled Canadians to potentially save tens of thousands of dollars in the U.S. on such luxury vehicles as those sold by BMW and Mercedes Benz.

Luxury vehicles are believed to represent the bulk of the record 189,738 vehicles imported into Canada last year.

Transport Canada is named in the suit because of its role in certifying vehicles imported into Canada through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program, which maintains a list of vehicles allowed to be imported and outlines the modifications necessary to make sure vehicles comply with Canadian regulations.

Among the requirements is one that importers provide proof to the CBSA that any repairs required under recalls have actually been made.

The auto makers forced importers to pay “artificially high fees and charges” for information about recalls, the lawsuit alleges.

BMW Canada's website says importers require a letter of admissibility from the company that costs $350. The fee for a letter saying the vehicle has been repaired under any recall orders is $500.

“There is a process. The law is quite clear that if you follow that process, you're entitled to import a vehicle into Canada,” said Brian Osler, one of the lawyers for the two leasing companies.

My Ride
    335i

Finally! Let's hope that it makes it to the trial level, because what they are doing is completely wrong.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

It's about time someone stood up even if it is futile.

corportaions & government > small business & working citizens

My Ride

FINALLY!

I really really really want a BMW, either a 135i or a 335xi, but i just cannot bear to deal with this underhanded company! I hope they're forced to change their policies and realize they can't treat us like retards for long.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i doubt they'll win, it'll be dragged on for years and years, but at least they might bring some media attention to it and open some eyes.

Originally posted by Crymson
    FINALLY!

I really really really want a BMW, either a 135i or a 335xi, but i just cannot bear to deal with this underhanded company! I hope they're forced to change their policies and realize they can't treat us like retards for long.
    so, teach em a lesson, buy something else.
    Last edited by Thaco; 02-28-2008 at 10:53 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride

I put the story on Digg, but it'll probably just get burried.

I think we need to hit the BMW booth in FORCE this year at the autoshow, and make a point to mention that Canadians are not stupid, gullible, and will not stand for this bullshit.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I think we need to hit the BMW booth in FORCE this year at the autoshow, and make a point to mention that Canadians are not stupid, gullible, and will not stand for this bullshit.
    post the link here so we can all digg it.

found the link

http://digg.com/autos/Transport_Cana...port_practices
    Last edited by Thaco; 02-28-2008 at 10:59 AM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Bicycle

US tried the same lawsuit when cars were cheaper here. Don't think that's resolved yet. Neither will this.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

good
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    E90 M3

Sweet, I heart this.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Just make sure you talk to a BMW bigwig and don't blast the sales guy who is only there to do his job. We sales guys know exactly what the score is, and are sick and tired of people giving us "economic/pricing lessons" everytime we talk to them.. Our hands are tied, dealers buy from the suppliers (Bmw canada, Mercedes Canada) and have to cut margins down to literally nothing to try to keep sales in Canada.

At least in my industry (motorcycles) The gap is not that severe.. You could probably save $100-300 on a motorcycle once all is said and done (travel, RIV, Hotel, gas, out-of province ect) if you buy in the states, but it just isn't worth the hassle in my opinion for such a little return.
    Bought not built!

My Ride

Originally posted by kevie88

Just make sure you talk to a BMW bigwig and don't blast the sales guy who is only there to do his job. We sales guys know exactly what the score is, and are sick and tired of people giving us "economic/pricing lessons" everytime we talk to them.. Our hands are tied, dealers buy from the suppliers (Bmw canada, Mercedes Canada) and have to cut margins down to literally nothing to try to keep sales in Canada.

At least in my industry (motorcycles) The gap is not that severe.. You could probably save $100-300 on a motorcycle once all is said and done (travel, RIV, Hotel, gas, out-of province ect) if you buy in the states, but it just isn't worth the hassle in my opinion for such a little return.
    Definately. However, you have to pressure the sales guy somewhat though -- but it's not enough to bitch. I think you have to leave the sales guy with the knowledge that he lost a sale, BECAUSE of BMW's policies. They obviously know the score, but they're the rank and file of the BMW corporation -- the message has to come up from them, that they're losing on the "front lines". I plan on leaving my card with a salesman with the knowledge that if BMW is going to get real withing a few months, i'll be in the next day to purchase. Otherwise, i'll be driving another vehicle by then.

My Ride
    City Transit

Yahoooo.......... It's about time....

My Ride
    02 RSX

finally, BMW is fuked 500 bux for a peace of printed paper!

its either going to settle out of court or drag on for 10 years... regardless... its good because it will bring media attention to the issue which i think is ultimately the goal here. if you want things to change... stop buying MB and BMWs...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Destinova403
    if you want things to change... stop buying MB and BMWs...
    bingo

My Ride
    Corrado G60/BMW 323iT

If anyone has been affected by this you can contact the lawyers at the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../28/c6093.html

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

I want another response by the president of bmw canada lol.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB