Quantcast
How to setup an iTunes US Account in Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How to setup an iTunes US Account in Canada

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default How to setup an iTunes US Account in Canada

So, I got a few PM's about this, glad to see there are legit music/movie purchasers out there other than me lol. I spent about an hour figuring out the whole process, so might as well share this with everyone.

So, why a US Account? The US iTunes store has content that's not available in the Canadian store. Not just music and movies... TV shows, iPod or iPhone apps, everything is better in the US store. There's even more free stuff to keep you busy. So even if you don't plan on buying anything, it's nice to run off the US account for the free stuff. If you're buying stuff, music store has a lot of older hit albums that for some reason isn't found in Canada, movie store has way more new HD stuff for rent, and TV show store just isn't comparable. It's like a completely new store! The Canadian store has CBC shows, and that's about it lol. The US store has *every* TV show imaginable.

Alright, now that's out of the way, first thing you need is a US iTunes gift card. I'm assuming you guys don't have US credit cards with US address. You can buy these off ebay, just search for iTunes US and you'll find tons of classified hits for them. If you want to access just the free stuff, buy the cheapest card. I bought a $60US card for $70. The sellers email these out fast, within the hour.

Once you get your gift card redeem code, open up iTunes. If you're already signed in, go to the Store menu and choose sign out. Next, you have to switch to the US store. At the bottom of the store "home", change My Store to the US store. Once the US store pops up, click Redeem, and enter your code. It'll ask you to create a new account or log in. At this point, create a new account with a fake Montana address (Montana has 0% tax, so use Montana otherwise you'll get taxed on each purchase). Just google up something from Montana and make up an address. Once the process is complete, you'll be logged into your new US account with the $ from your gift card, and you're good to go! In the future, just buy the cards off ebay (I'm going to buy them next time I'm in the US) to recharge my account.

For iPhone, the next time you sync, you'll be setup on the US account on the iphone. You may need to do a hard reboot of the phone to fully access the store (hold down power button to turn it off then turn it back on).

For AppleTV, go to your settings and sign out. Change the location to the US, then sign in with the US account. Simple as that.

Now that you have your US account, you may notice that downloads from the US store are slow compared to the Canadian store. REALLY slow. It's not noticable for music, but for movies and TV shows, it took an 70 minutes to download a 44 minute TV episode. I started diagnosing the problem, and realized that Apple (who uses Akamai for content distribution) will use a different cluster of servers for US. The bandwidth to Canada is just horrible, so downloads are just untolerable.

So, we have to trick Akamai to give us IPs for servers in the US, and for the techies, Akamai guesses your location based on the DNS server you're using. Thankfully, there are free US DNS servers we can use. After testing a few, the best are the Level 3 DNS servers. I used 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 and now get 11mbps downloads off the apple servers because it thinks I'm in Colorado with lots of bandwidth.

I wouldn't bother changing this for iPhone (it wont work well everywhere, besides you don't need the speed on it), but definately change it on AppleTV, as well as the computer that you have iTunes on. Your downloads will now be twice as fast as the Canadian store too!

That's it. Enjoy the US store!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

sweet thanks a lot!

i just got a buddy to buy me a us card from the states and send it out

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

dude...thanks...

But now, can I keep my CDN account active as well??...just for the CBC content...I love my Little Mosque and Discovery content haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Great write up! I'd be interested to know if there is another source for the US gift cards besides eBay... I'm assuming Apple restricts retailers from mailing them to foreign addresses?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Good read... I only have a US itunes account, haven't bothered to setup a CDN one yet.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can get anyone to buy you a US card anywhere (no taxes on gift cards) and email you the codes. So if you have family in the states, you're good to go!

As for keeping CDN account, you can have both, and swap between the 2. Once you do a purchase and start downloading, you can swap accounts and it'll continue to download.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Perfect...

*e-mail sent off to the cousins...*
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Model S

Actually iTunes wont charge state tax. I have my California address US account, which is even in the same county as Apple HQ, and my tax is $0 when I buy.

Also, these gift cards are everywhere, grocery store, 7-11, etc. If anyone needs a code, ask nicely and I can grab one next time I'm out

EK: Keep 2 accounts. There is no way to merge them. I have a US one and a Canadian one, but the Canadian one is shit They don't give access to a lot of good stuff.

Same with xbox live. Canadian accounts can't see netflix and stuff. Wtf!

Item Number Description Unit Price
    Q1098 Trinity
    Write a Review Report a Problem $9.99
    Subtotal: $9.99
    Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $9.99

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by googe

EK: Keep 2 accounts. There is no way to merge them. I have a US one and a Canadian one, but the Canadian one is shit They don't give access to a lot of good stuff.

It wasn't more about merging but me being worried I would loose my CDN account if I activate a U.S. one...

I don't use iTunes for a lot of things outside of managing my music files and a few movies that I get digital copies of...but I have a few Canadian TV shows I do order...and didn't want to lose access to those...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Actually iTunes wont charge state tax. I have my California address US account, which is even in the same county as Apple HQ, and my tax is $0 when I buy.
    CA is weird, it doesn't charge state tax on d/l's (but may change in the future). As of 2006, 15 states + DC charge tax on itunes

CA wants to pass a law to charge it. So, easiest thing to do is use a MT address, 0% state tax, it'll never affect you.

Same with xbox live. Canadian accounts can't see netflix and stuff. Wtf!
    xbox live's store SUCKS in Canada. Even with a US Live account, you won't be able to see the store in Canada. It's IP locked.

My Ride
    Model S

someone needs to set up a colo at the montana border for vpn

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have a colo in 3 states . It's not fast enough (or cheap enough) to use it regularly tho lol.

Thank god itunes doesn't lock canadian ip addresses. The akamai DNS trick makes it work perfect.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Just did this for iTunes UK and iTunes USA and worked perfectly. Used my parents California address and made one up for the UK

Thanks rage!

For the gift card, I can use those to buy apps, music, etc?

For some reason, I was once at the apple store looking to buy an iTunes gift card for a family friend and the guy at the apple store told me you can only use the gift card for music and not apps.... I never looked into it further, but that never made sense to me haha