Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Bike Talk > helmet speakers - illegal?

Author
Thread
Dumbass17
First Gear

What I drive: Dodge Caliber
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 86%

helmet speakers - illegal? quote:

does anyone know if aftermarket motorcycle helmet speakers are illegal?
and while we're on it, is it illegal to have your ipod earbuds in your ears while driving? either on a bike or car? i've seen so many people driving brand new cars and they have their earbuds in lol
is this legal or illegal? i can't find any straight up answer anywhere

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-10-2009 08:59 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

natejj
First Gear

What I drive: 05 Outback 2.5xt
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I'm in the process of getting my moterbike license, and don't know how to ride yet..... but isn't riding one dangerous enough, is there seriously people who are stupid enough to listen to their ipod while riding??

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:08 PM
natejj is offline Click Here to See the Profile for natejj Click here to Send natejj a Private Message Find more posts by natejj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mibz

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.42
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I can't find any specific offense for headphones or music being too loud but I'm sure they can nab you under a catch-all offense if they find that impaired hearing was the cause of a problem (Not getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle).

As for whether aftermarket helmet speakers are legal, well I imagine they'd advertise DOT approval if they were, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I assume the post below mine is meant for the guy above me.

Last edited by Mibz on 08-10-2009 at 09:13 PM

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:11 PM
Mibz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mibz Click here to Send Mibz a Private Message Find more posts by Mibz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

quote:

^^ haven't you seen harley riders with earbuds/earplugs in?
riding any bike at 120km/hr gets pretty noisy with the wind man.

i wouldn't use them around town lol, that's dumb. but for long trips they'd be a headache safer.

tons of riders where them

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:11 PM
Dumbass17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dumbass17 Click here to Send Dumbass17 a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbass17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aget

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Looks like the provincial government sets the law on distractions while driving. Seems that headphones are only illegal in Manitoba. I guess you are safe in Alberta

Most provinces and territories limit the use of distracting devices in cars, but only Newfoundland and Labrador has banned the use of handheld cellphones while driving. The Manitoba government prohibits listening to headphones while driving but not the type used for cellphones.

Source

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:30 PM
aget is offline Click Here to See the Profile for aget Click here to Send aget a Private Message Find more posts by aget Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GQBalla
Third Gear

What I drive: 04 civic, 04 cbr600rr
Posts/Day: 0.94
Trader Rating: (57)
User Rating: 139%

quote:

Originally posted by Dumbass17
^^ haven't you seen harley riders with earbuds/earplugs in?
riding any bike at 120km/hr gets pretty noisy with the wind man.

i wouldn't use them around town lol, that's dumb. but for long trips they'd be a headache safer.

tons of riders where them

i never needed some sort of ear plugs, i guess my helmet had some pretty good sound deadening

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:36 PM
GQBalla is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GQBalla Click here to Send GQBalla a Private Message Find more posts by GQBalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

quote:

^^^hmmm weird

laws are goofy

yes i said goofy

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:38 PM
Pollywog
Second Gear

What I drive: '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (31)

quote:

I want to say that it is moronic for a motorcyclist to wear earbuds or to listen to music in general while riding, but its hard to when you see the majority of people in cages driving almost blind with the cheeseburgers, Lil Wayne and cellphones distracting them on a daily.

I do advocate wearing hearing protection such as ear plugs for louder bikes and wind noise however.

Old Post 08-10-2009 09:41 PM
Pollywog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollywog Click here to Send Pollywog a Private Message Find more posts by Pollywog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dumbass17
First Gear

quote:

^i agree

hence why i'm asking about helmet speakers though.
i know i've seen helmets with built-in speakers but that doesn't necessarily mean they're legal

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:00 PM
snoop101
First Gear

What I drive: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
Posts/Day: 0.20

quote:

^i agree

hence why i'm asking about helmet speakers though.
i know i've seen helmets with built-in speakers but that doesn't necessarily mean they're legal

Arent those for two-way comm devices?

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:03 PM
snoop101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snoop101 Click here to Send snoop101 a Private Message Find more posts by snoop101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
civic_stylez
First Gear

What I drive: starts with a screwdriver...
Posts/Day: 0.26
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

Im going to start wearing ear plugs... the wind noise under my helmet is brutal.... i get wicked headaches when i do the okotoks/black diamond/longview tour. I'd consider an ipod on the highway but not in the city.

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:41 PM
civic_stylez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for civic_stylez Click here to Send civic_stylez a Private Message Find more posts by civic_stylez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pollywog
Second Gear

What I drive: '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.
Posts/Day: 0.73
Trader Rating: (31)

quote:

hence why i'm asking about helmet speakers

Hence why I said " it is moronic for a motorcyclist to wear earbuds or to listen to music in general while riding".

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:45 PM
Pollywog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pollywog Click here to Send Pollywog a Private Message Find more posts by Pollywog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grogador
First Gear

What I drive: AWOL
Posts/Day: 0.41
Trader Rating: (26)

quote:

Why? Nobody is gonna sneak up behind you at 280kph. On that note, speakers are better used for radar detectors...

Old Post 08-10-2009 10:54 PM
Grogador is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grogador Click here to Send Grogador a Private Message Find more posts by Grogador Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AutodreamFrank
Neutral

What I drive: RBS13
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

my shoei rf-1000 is wicked for noise deadening, but I wouldn't mind some background music while riding. I am always aware of other drivers around me if they are texting or on there phones, I keep distance. As long as it's not too loud, I think it's okay.

Originally posted by JfuckinC

haha while the party does look lame, don't let the beyond wolves phase you, most of them were probably playing world of warcraft on halloween.

Old Post 08-10-2009 11:13 PM
AutodreamFrank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AutodreamFrank Click here to Send AutodreamFrank a Private Message Find more posts by AutodreamFrank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SetoJai

What I drive: 2004 Yamaha R6, 2005 Acura RSX Type-S
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 96%

quote:

No music in the city only on the highway. It gets boring after awhile without music and also my HJC helmet has HORRIBLE sound deadning capabilities... need a new one soon.

Old Post 08-11-2009 03:37 AM
SetoJai is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SetoJai Click here to Send SetoJai a Private Message Find more posts by SetoJai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
95EagleAWD
Second Gear

What I drive: S54 M Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.54

quote:

You can't hear much on a bike anyways besides your own exhaust... I listen to music. Not blaring loud, but I have my iPod going.

Old Post 08-11-2009 06:41 AM
95EagleAWD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 95EagleAWD Click here to Send 95EagleAWD a Private Message Find more posts by 95EagleAWD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cos
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 3 Fords, One NA, One S/C, One Turbo'd
Posts/Day: 2.24
Trader Rating: (17)

quote:

you on CGP?

anyways, I will say in this thread what I said in the other thread. I dont think the headphones themselves are illegal, just impeding your hearing (same as having your car stereo too loud) is illegal. I dont wear when i am running around town or if I am with a buddy for a boot. However if the wife and I are running out to camore on 1A or the Bragg->BD run then I will. I find it helps me from having my mind wander on straight pieces of road.

If my mind wanders I am paying LESS attention. BTW I keep it at seriously 10 - 15% volume.

Originally posted by codetrap
Ignorance can be educated, crazy can be medicated, but you can't fix stupid.

Originally posted by Ecofx86
I love it when I'm rolling baby coal out my eco!

Last edited by Cos on 08-11-2009 at 06:46 AM

Old Post 08-11-2009 06:43 AM
Cos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cos Click here to Send Cos a Private Message Find more posts by Cos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
95EagleAWD
Second Gear

What I drive: S54 M Coupe
Posts/Day: 0.54

quote:

Yeah, mine are set quite low. I bought black earphones so the white iPod cord doesn't stand out against my jacket. I run the cord under my leathers too, so all you can see is the cord by my ears a little. Try and keep it under the radar, haha.

Old Post 08-11-2009 07:08 AM
95EagleAWD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 95EagleAWD Click here to Send 95EagleAWD a Private Message Find more posts by 95EagleAWD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: '02 Bandit 1200, '10 Ram 1500
Posts/Day: 0.60

quote:

I doubt that it's actually illegal. I wear mine on the highway. I don't think there's any difference between the earbuds or earplugs at highway speeds / noise volume.

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 08-11-2009 04:02 PM
Masked Bandit is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
donnie533

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00

quote:

I have never tried the earbuds, but do have speakers installed in my helmet. This is part of a rider-to-rider communicator. The iPod can be connected to the device with a small cable. A cellphone or GPS can be bluetoothed to it also --- have not done this as taking on the phone while riding would be insane.
I have used iPod and had no problem hearing vehicles around me - since the speakers are not actually in your ears.
IMHO - the communicator is priceless for riding with wife (on her bike or on back of mine).

Old Post 08-11-2009 07:34 PM
donnie533 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for donnie533 Click here to Send donnie533 a Private Message Find more posts by donnie533 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 10:45 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: