Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Where to put my money?

Author
Thread
leftwing
Neutral

What I drive: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Posts/Day: 0.10
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Where to put my money? quote:

Hey all,

I am wondering where I should look to invest my money, I have a large amount (>$50,000) that I want to invest somewhere. Now should I take it to a place like Edward Jones, SunLife etc.? or Take it to a bank ie CIBC? I have never invested and am new to it, am young and have lots of time to watch it grow, but would like to make it grow faster rather than slower. I would like to ensure financial security at a young age and also have financial freedom.

Any suggestions of what to do with my money would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot guys.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-30-2010 12:56 AM
leftwing is online now Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Jetta-2.0
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

Save it in a savings account, nothing grows for free

Old Post 11-30-2010 12:59 AM
Jetta-2.0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jetta-2.0 Click here to Send Jetta-2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by Jetta-2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dilmah
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04

quote:

Put it towards your mortgage. You can pay now or pay later

originally posted by "paulb1320"

(so tight that my hands went numb in minutes and a have bruises, infact my hands are still numb, 2 hours later)

I'm going to find each and every one of your little internet friends!

I now feel like I went into shock. I started breathing heavily and lost my sense of what was going on.

Old Post 11-30-2010 03:00 AM
Dilmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dilmah Click here to Send Dilmah a Private Message Find more posts by Dilmah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leftwing
Neutral

quote:

I am planning to put another large amount into a house.

Old Post 11-30-2010 05:41 AM
leftwing is online now Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dingmah

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
User Rating: 100%

quote:

If you're risk adverse: High rate GIC at Ally.ca
If you have a high risk tolerance: Bet on black at the roulette table.

Old Post 11-30-2010 06:45 AM
dingmah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dingmah Click here to Send dingmah a Private Message Find more posts by dingmah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

There is a ton of advice in the long term investing thread.

But, the easiest thing is to just pile it into your mortgage. Whatever your mortgage interest rate is, that's your garanteed return on the investment. Very low risk.

Old Post 11-30-2010 11:07 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: Budget Baller
Posts/Day: 1.81
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Unless you are familiar with investments in general, probably the best thing to do is pay down your mortgage. Make that priority #1. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Old Post 11-30-2010 11:15 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89coupe
Third Gear

What I drive: BMW 750i M Sport
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 98%

Re: Where to put my money? quote:

Originally posted by leftwing
Hey all,

I am wondering where I should look to invest my money, I have a large amount (>$50,000) that I want to invest somewhere. Now should I take it to a place like Edward Jones, SunLife etc.? or Take it to a bank ie CIBC? I have never invested and am new to it, am young and have lots of time to watch it grow, but would like to make it grow faster rather than slower. I would like to ensure financial security at a young age and also have financial freedom.

Any suggestions of what to do with my money would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot guys.

I can show you a company that will pay you dividends of $304/mth plus annual gains of roughly 15% per year.

Old Post 11-30-2010 11:50 PM
89coupe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89coupe Click here to Send 89coupe a Private Message Visit 89coupe's homepage! Find more posts by 89coupe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

^Which company are you watching this time?

Old Post 11-30-2010 11:57 PM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toma
Banned

What I drive: You Crazy
Posts/Day: 0.38
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Buy US real estate and rent it out with some of your cash.

Old Post 12-01-2010 12:10 AM
Toma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toma Click here to Send Toma a Private Message Find more posts by Toma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toma
Banned

What I drive: You Crazy
Posts/Day: 0.38
Trader Rating: (2)

Re: Re: Where to put my money? quote:

Originally posted by 89coupe

I can show you a company that will pay you dividends of $304/mth plus annual gains of roughly 15% per year.

With a $50k investment??

Now were talkin. What is it?

Old Post 12-01-2010 12:11 AM
Toma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toma Click here to Send Toma a Private Message Find more posts by Toma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89coupe
Third Gear

quote:

PPL.TO

I have been investing with them for the past 6 years

Last edited by 89coupe on 12-01-2010 at 12:49 AM

Old Post 12-01-2010 12:39 AM
89coupe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89coupe Click here to Send 89coupe a Private Message Visit 89coupe's homepage! Find more posts by 89coupe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
e36bmw///
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

wow nice div yield

Old Post 12-01-2010 02:09 AM
e36bmw/// is offline Click Here to See the Profile for e36bmw/// Click here to Send e36bmw/// a Private Message Find more posts by e36bmw/// Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leftwing
Neutral

Re: Re: Where to put my money? quote:

go on......

care to PM me with more info?

Old Post 12-01-2010 03:54 AM
Euro_Trash
Second Gear

What I drive: ////M
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (9)

quote:

PPL.TO

I have been investing with them for the past 6 years

+1

Old Post 12-01-2010 04:07 AM
Euro_Trash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Euro_Trash Click here to Send Euro_Trash a Private Message Find more posts by Euro_Trash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

AVF.un, SPB, PBH, RSI.UN.

That's a lot of good yield out there. But for a guy who zero experience, I wouldn't recommend putting all his money into any one thing, especially based on the advice of any one person on the internet. Not even Brad, or myself.

Old Post 12-01-2010 04:45 AM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Unless that one thing was a sure thing, like his mortgage.

Old Post 12-01-2010 04:47 AM
89coupe
Third Gear

Re: Re: Re: Where to put my money? quote:

Originally posted by leftwing

go on......

care to PM me with more info?

I posted the stock symbol.

PPL.TO

Your $50k will make you $3667.00/year in dividends and roughly $7500 in gains the first year. If you continue to re-invest those dividends back into the stock every month, your $50k will be roughly $161,670.00 in 10 years.

I'm not great with math, so you might want to double check this...LOL

Old Post 12-01-2010 04:27 PM
Chandler_Racing
First Gear

What I drive: '14 Audi A6 and '16 Acura MDX
Posts/Day: 0.09
Trader Rating: (7)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to put my money? quote:

I posted the stock symbol.

PPL.TO

Your $50k will make you $3667.00/year in dividends and roughly $7500 in gains the first year. If you continue to re-invest those dividends back into the stock every month, your $50k will be roughly $161,670.00 in 10 years.

I'm not great with math, so you might want to double check this...LOL

You have to be very careful with the stability of the dividends, especially with the requirement to convert from a trust to corp (I'm not sure how this affects Pembina). They're distributing $.13 / share.

A company like Zargon distributes $.18 / share. They also have significant tax pools in place to maintain the distribution.

The other problem is with dividends, they're taxed very different then capital gains. Re-do the calculations after tax and the dividend route does not seem as attractive.

Old Post 12-01-2010 06:25 PM
Chandler_Racing is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Chandler_Racing Click here to Send Chandler_Racing a Private Message Find more posts by Chandler_Racing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89coupe
Third Gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to put my money? quote:

Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

You have to be very careful with the stability of the dividends, especially with the requirement to convert from a trust to corp (I'm not sure how this affects Pembina). They're distributing $.13 / share.

A company like Zargon distributes $.18 / share. They also have significant tax pools in place to maintain the distribution.

The other problem is with dividends, they're taxed very different then capital gains. Re-do the calculations after tax and the dividend route does not seem as attractive.

You invest inside of an sDRSP.

Pembina has already converted to a corporation.

Have a look at Pembina's annual report and you will see they have many contracts that are guaranteed for 20+ years.

I've been investing with them for the past 6 years, all within an sDRSP and the mole hill has turned into a mountain

Old Post 12-01-2010 06:36 PM
The time now is 02:18 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Where to put my money?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: