Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread

Author
Thread
frinkprof

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 102%

Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread quote:

A thread to discuss public transit in Calgary. Information, questions, current issues, pros, cons, ideas, future plans, past experiences, whatever. I'm not sure if there will be enough interest here to sustain this thread, but it's a topic that comes up often enough in other threads.

I've compiled a bit of an information resource below to let everyone know what is currently happening with the system, and what is to come. All to the best of my knowledge of course, so if you have any other information, post it and I'll make the changes. I have kept most of the images as small as possible to make navigation easier. Just click on the image to see the larger version.

These first couple posts are basically a carbon-copy of a similar thread I started on Calgary Puck if any of you post there.

CURRENT PROJECTS

LRT INFRASTRUCTURE

West LRT

Stations: 7 - 11th Street West, Sunalta, Shaganappi Point, Westbrook, 45th Street, Sirocco, 69th Street
Completion: Opens December 10th, 2012

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version
http://www.westlrt.ca/files/WestLRT_Map.pdf

click for larger version
Sirocco Station

http://www.westlrt.ca/files/Signal%...0Elevations.pdf

http://www.westlrt.ca/contentabout/route_animation.cfm

Northeast LRT Phase II Extension

Stations: 2 - Martindale and Saddletown
Completion: 2012

Martindale
click for larger version

click for larger version

Saddletowne
click for larger version

www.gecarch.com

Northwest LRT Phase IV Extension

Stations: 1 - Tuscany
Completion: 2014

click for larger version
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu...rom_tuscany.pdf

click for larger version
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu..._ped_bridge.pdf

7th Avenue Refurbishment Project

Stations: Rebuilding and/or relocation of all platforms along 7th Avenue
Status: 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th and 8th Streets completed. City Hall and 4th Street Under Construction, Centre Street and 11th Street to be done

click for larger version
http://compscience.info/public/imag...ations-west.jpg

New LRVs

Model: SD160 Series 8
Number: 38 on order
Arrival Status: 11 units have arrived as of 01/12/11

Exterior:

click for larger version

New Seating Arrangement:

Video:

BUS

Airport Service

Description: The bus service to the airport is being improved and revamped. There will be two new routes and eventually a tram.
Completion: New route to/from McKnight-Westwinds Station by 2011, new BRT route to/from downtown by 2012.

Calgary Transit's Proposed Service Plan for YYC Airport

2012:

click for larger version

Routes 430 and 57 are existing (57 currently goes all the way to terminal, but doesn't in above map due to Barlow Trail closure).

Route 100 would be in service by 2011

Route 310 is a BRT route that would be in operation by 2012

Long Term:

click for larger version

Route 310 is replaced by "European-style" Tram.

New Buses

Model: Nova LFS 40102
Number: 49 on order
Arrival Status: 11 have arrived as of 01/12/11

SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS

Systemwide 4-car LRV Capacity and Traction Power Upgrades

Stations: All but Shawnessy, Somerset, Dalhousie, McKnight, Crowfoot, 7th Avenue.
Status: Whitehorn station currently undergoing extension and reconstruction, all others to be done.

Advanced Passenger Information System

Description: Realtime vehicle arrival information for LRT and BRT lines using GPS/INS or similar and visual displays at stations

Electronic Fare Payment Systems

Description: Ability to pay fares on LRT and BRT (possibly more) using some form of Smartcard technology, machines that take plastic and/or bills

Improved CCTV Security at LRT Stations

Description: New and more cameras with better resolution

More Information: May 2009 Transit Funding Press Release

Continued in post below..

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2011 08:59 PM
frinkprof is offline Click Here to See the Profile for frinkprof Click here to Send frinkprof a Private Message Find more posts by frinkprof Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

frinkprof

What I drive:

quote:

FUTURE PROJECTS

Note: all maps below from http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/c...etwork_plan.pdf

SOUTHEAST LRT

Stations: 18 - 14 at-grade, 4 underground downtown

click for larger version

NORTH CENTRAL LRT

Stations: 8

click for larger version

8th AVENUE SUBWAY

Stations: Likely 3

click for larger version

WEST LRT EXTENSION

Stations: 1 - Aspen Woods

SOUTH LRT EXTENSION

Stations: 2 - Silverado, 212 Ave.

click for larger version

NORTHEAST LRT EXTENSION

Stations: 4 - 96 Ave., Country Hills, 128 Ave., Stoney

click for larger version

SYSTEM

RESOURCES

Official Links

Calgary Transit Website

City of Calgary Current LRT Construction Projects

West LRT Project

Calgary Transit Twitter

Calgary Transit LRT Network Plan

May 2009 Transit Funding Press Release

Other Links

Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board

CPTDB Wiki - Bus and LRV fleet inventory and information

LRT in Calgary - SkyscraperPage Forum contributer srperrycgy's website. Pictures, information, current maps, future maps and speculation

Bus Drawings - Transit operator and CPTDB contributer Peter McLaughlin's Bus Drawings website. Large stockpile of bus and LRV photos

Kevin's Bus and Rail - CPTDB contributer Kevin Lo's website. More bus and LRV pictures

Beltliner Blog- SkyscraperPage Forum contributer Beltliner's blog. Proposal for LRT and Streetcar infrastructure buildout and other speculation

GrowsmaRT.ca - Third party website advocating alternate alignment to North Central LRT route

Station Construction Information Graph - Courtesy Steve Perry

Disclaimer: I do not work for Calgary Transit or the City of Calgary.

Old Post 01-15-2011 08:59 PM
frinkprof is offline Click Here to See the Profile for frinkprof Click here to Send frinkprof a Private Message Find more posts by frinkprof Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CUG
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
User Rating: 100%

quote:

What would you like to talk about, it seems you've detailed most of that well.. It's going to be a pretty dense discussion

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

Old Post 01-15-2011 10:38 PM
CUG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CUG Click here to Send CUG a Private Message Find more posts by CUG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HungryJack

What I drive: 2001 Chevy Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I was neighbors with Kevin Lo growing up.

Carry on...

Old Post 01-15-2011 10:53 PM
HungryJack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HungryJack Click here to Send HungryJack a Private Message Find more posts by HungryJack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-D
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

I've never understood why the trains stop running before the bars close.

Old Post 01-15-2011 11:05 PM
J-D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-D Click here to Send J-D a Private Message Find more posts by J-D Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
frinkprof

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by CUG
What would you like to talk about, it seems you've detailed most of that well.. It's going to be a pretty dense discussion

As per the first post: Information, questions, current issues, pros, cons, ideas, future plans, past experiences, whatever.

So in other words, the idea behind the thread is to be a catch-all for transit discussion as issues or ideas come up. I included the information database because there's usually a new thread here every few weeks or months and a lot of the information that had been posted in older threads gets lost or forgotten and then gets rehashed, with varying accuracy, in the new thread.

It's also a place to put new information or articles as they come up, which I'll actually do below, since there was a good article in the Herald today.

Old Post 01-15-2011 11:10 PM
frinkprof

What I drive:

quote:

Good and thorough article on the C-Train in today's Herald.

Calgary's C-train at 30

Skepticism met people-mover plan

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald January 15, 2011 9:00 AM

Crammed. Feels like a sauna. Winter coats, wool scarves and coffee breath emit more heat.

Newspaper pages rustle loudly. Smartphone buzzes. Can't answer it, or even scratch an elbow, without getting five people to move one step over.

Finally, the doors slide open and the rats spill out into the concrete canyon. Free from the C-Train, and off to another holding cell known as the office cubicle.

Cities with light-rail systems all over North America experience varying degrees of the morning rush, but for the past 30 years, only few know the morning crush like users of Calgary's busy system.

Those who have long boasted that it's the busiest LRT system in the continent overlook the heavier ridership of the Metrorrey system in Monterrey, Mexico. But second ranking is little to be ashamed of in a city notorious for the car's dominance.

[...]

It would roll along the roads, just like the streetcars Calgary had scrapped, rather than the big eastern cities' full-fledged subway systems? When Edmonton's system opened in time for the 1978 Commonwealth Games with stations smartly burrowed underneath its downtown?

But flash forward to the present, when Calgary's 38-station system boasts 268,000 riders on an average weekday and Edmonton's newly expanded 15-stop LRT moves around 74,000 people daily.

Staying above-ground let Cowtown do more by spending less building the initial 13-kilometre Anderson-to-downtown stretch for $175 million, opening in May 1981. By contrast, the 1980s extension of the Edmonton LRT by less than two kilometres and three downtown subway stations cost $160 million.

[...]

New cars finally have air conditioning -- the same new-style cars Edmonton has, Mandryk notes -- and platforms this year will tell riders how many more minutes they have to wait. That might bode for a slower system, but not necessarily a less successful system. North America's No. 1 LRT system in Monterrey runs sleek-looking cars on lines that are fully underground or elevated, not on the road like some lowly streetcar.

And for those wary of that morning crush, stay tuned for longer, four-car trains. In 2014.

Link to rest of article

The C-Train turns 30 on May 25th, 2011

To accompany the above article, here is a Calgary Herald video of Mayor Nenshi speaking about the future of the C-Train, with emphasis on the north-central line and airport service:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/videos...OGSanHiQRZZtXUT

Old Post 01-15-2011 11:11 PM
J-D
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

Old Post 01-15-2011 11:33 PM
J-D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-D Click here to Send J-D a Private Message Find more posts by J-D Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Do you know when the 4th street station downtown will open? It looks done.

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:37 AM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
frinkprof

What I drive:

quote:

^Yes. It will be open this coming Friday the 21st.

That leaves the following left before the 7th Avenue work is compete:

- Complete both platforms at City Hall (should be done later this year)

- Removal of Olympic Plaza Station (will be done shortly after City Hall opens)

- Extend Centre Street Station (shouldn't take long, and probably won't start until City Hall is done)

- Complete dual platforms at 11th Street West (being done as part of WestLRT)

- Remove 10th Street West Station

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:45 AM
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

Expansion, I love it.

It will also mean less wait times in the core area!

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:45 AM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Will the new station at 11 street still fall within the free fare zone?

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:52 AM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twin_Cam_Turbo
Fourth Gear

What I drive: VA WRX, EK Civic
Posts/Day: 1.89
Trader Rating: (8)

quote:

I am just glad I rarely have to take public transit.

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:54 AM
Twin_Cam_Turbo is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Twin_Cam_Turbo Click here to Send Twin_Cam_Turbo a Private Message Find more posts by Twin_Cam_Turbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
frinkprof

What I drive:

quote:

Originally posted by kaput
Will the new station at 11 street still fall within the free fare zone?

Good question. I don't think I've seen anything official on it, but I would have to assume so.

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:55 AM
Benny
Neutral

What I drive: Red with stripes and a shitbox truck
Posts/Day: 0.06
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

Originally posted by J-D
I've never understood why the trains stop running before the bars close.

THIS!

I don't really care about the bus not running that late, but holy fuck is it ever awful trying to get a cab late at night. Not to mention I've had to leave a bunch of concerts at the Dome early because the last train is about to come. What the hell kinda supposed "World Class City" doesn't have a 24 hour train line?

Old Post 01-16-2011 12:57 AM
Benny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Benny Click here to Send Benny a Private Message Find more posts by Benny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nutella

What I drive:

quote:

Why did they choose to have the North Central LRT end at the zoo? At least that's what it looks like to me on the map. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. You may as well call it the North Central East LRT since it kinda veers off to the east.

People that take the 301, 3, and the express buses that go from the north to downtown and beyond will most likely still continue taking the buses.

If your stop is downtown and/or you need to transfer downtown - why would you take the North Central? That's an extra transfer you would have to do. Get off at the zoo, try to board the packed City Centre train to get downtown, only to have to transfer again.

But hey it's great for families going to the zoo.

Old Post 01-16-2011 01:00 AM
nutella is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nutella Click here to Send nutella a Private Message Find more posts by nutella Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cos
Fourth Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.76
Trader Rating: (19)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

^^ I can answer part of that. The original plan was to bury up center street and come north out of SAIT. They cant figure out a way to do it without raising the road or burying the line.

This is a cheaper and viable option. They also figure they can run east-west shuttle buses for the middle communities and reduce some of the north-south traffic.

Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta

"The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Old Post 01-16-2011 01:06 AM
Cos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cos Click here to Send Cos a Private Message Find more posts by Cos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oz-
Neutral

What I drive: TL
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

West LRT observation. The yellow track thing really lost steam in December. The big supports are still being worked on, while the yellow thing sits idle. I wonder how behind schedule it is?

My other questions are around the opening of 33rd street at Bow Trail - when?

The stretch of Bow Trail west between Crowchild and 24th St and when will it be shifted over to the new permanent alignment?

Old Post 01-16-2011 01:07 AM
Oz- is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oz- Click here to Send Oz- a Private Message Find more posts by Oz- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4DoorGTZ
First Gear

What I drive: a couple S/C'd V8's
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I'd be surprised if that last pic gets fulfilled in my lifetime. And by then the city will need much more, thats what we seem to be getting, plan today for what we need today, then build it in 25yrs when we then need so much more.

-But I'm not a transit user anymore, only for flames games since leaving school.

...... and have since bought an AWD suv

Old Post 01-16-2011 01:10 AM
4DoorGTZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4DoorGTZ Click here to Send 4DoorGTZ a Private Message Visit 4DoorGTZ's homepage! Find more posts by 4DoorGTZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nutella

What I drive:

quote:

Sometimes cheaper isn't better...

I see what you're saying and I truly don't expect them to place the LRT line right on Centre Street

Maybe there are plans to have the North Central LRT line continue past the zoo, into downtown and/or beyond? If so then I can definitely see the potential for this line

Old Post 01-16-2011 01:14 AM
nutella is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nutella Click here to Send nutella a Private Message Find more posts by nutella Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:05 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: