Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Green cart for compost goes live (was trial)

Author
Thread
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

Green cart for compost trial quote:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...4515/story.html

Reducing solid waste going to the landfill is nice. Hopefully they can reduce the size of those carts. Three of those bins are going to take up a lot of space. Soon enough we'll have to double park the bins on the street.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:13 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

My thoughts on the matter, anyone that is interested in composting is already doing it.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:26 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by kenny
My thoughts on the matter, anyone that is interested in composting is already doing it.

No more room for bins either. Either set up central points for people to drop off like recycling centers which many utilized before the blue bins, or selling the black compost containers.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:32 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guillermo
Banned

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

I would compost but I live in a condo.

Also, what about people who would like to compost but aren't into gardening?

Compost bins were put out at the U of C a couple of years ago, and have been quite a success. E.g., during 2009-2010, 468000 pounds of compostable material was kept out of the landfills... and then the city can use it for gardening and landscaping.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:32 PM
Guillermo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guillermo Click here to Send Guillermo a Private Message Find more posts by Guillermo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

If they are serious about this, they need much smaller black bins.

In effect, there is no incentive to recycle or compost under the current system, since you can thorw away as much in the huge black bin as you want.

I currently only put out my bins every couple weeks, and that's with a toddler in disposable diapers too.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:34 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.61
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Not everyone can or wants to compost in their backyard. There is a fair bit of work maintaining a compost bin that not all people want to undertake.

However if given a method of composting where all they have to do is separate out the organic matter, then you may actually have quite a few people doing it.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:36 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.68
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Originally posted by Guillermo
I would compost but I live in a condo.

I imagine condos would be left out of green bin program like they are for the blue bin program.

My suggestion if they do implement it city wide, is for 1st and 3rd week to be for black bin collection, and then 2nd and 4th week for blue/green collection. Or something along those lines. Weekly collection of 3 bins is a bit silly.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:38 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guillermo
Banned

What I drive:

quote:

I imagine condos would be left out of green bin program like they are for the blue bin program.

My suggestion if they do implement it city wide, is for 1st and 3rd week to be for black bin collection, and then 2nd and 4th week for blue/green collection. Or something along those lines. Weekly collection of 3 bins is a bit silly.

Oh most certainly - we STILL don't have recycling service at our condo.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:43 PM
Guillermo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guillermo Click here to Send Guillermo a Private Message Find more posts by Guillermo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.09
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Why can't we opt out of these stupid fucking programs!!!!

Seriously, I don't need gigantic meter high f-ing blue bin or a massive twin green bin to go with my already huge black bin... it takes me over a month to fill the blue bin as it is already.

The cost of these things just adds insult to injury.

Why can't we opt for smaller bins, or opt out all together instead of turning half of our garages into our own personal waste sorting facilities?

Prior to the blue bins I used to collect a small box worth of recyclables and drop them off at the collection site the city already has setup all over the place. What was so bad about that? Oh right... it didn't collect enough cash for the city.

Old Post 10-19-2011 07:59 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I have no problem storing the bins. But other people who doesn't and leave them in the front is a vanity problem.

I love green bin for summer and fall (lawn clipping and leaves). But I see little effect in winter and I'm not able to separate organics out of my household trash which means it will be a sorting nightmare.

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:04 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
codetrap
Second Gear

What I drive: FJR1300/F150/Rocky Mtn Hammer
Posts/Day: 0.42
Trader Rating: (13)

quote:

Originally posted by sputnik
However if given a method of composting where all they have to do is separate out the organic matter, then you may actually have quite a few people doing it.

Do crusty tube socks count as organic matter?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:04 PM
codetrap is offline Click Here to See the Profile for codetrap Click here to Send codetrap a Private Message Find more posts by codetrap Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Masked Bandit
Forum Sponsor

What I drive: Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by Xtrema

I love green bin for summer and fall (lawn clipping and leaves). But I see little effect in winter and I'm not able to separate organics out of my household trash which means it will be a sorting nightmare.

That's exactly what I was thinking. However, being out in the 'burbs I can just leave this thing sitting on the side of the house & out of the way but there are lots of people that don't have the space. The poor bastards in our community that live in a townhouse style condo complex have the blue & black bins sitting on their front steps. It looks trashy (pun intended).

"Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

www.touchstoneinsurance.ca

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:16 PM
Masked Bandit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Masked Bandit Click here to Send Masked Bandit a Private Message Visit Masked Bandit's homepage! Find more posts by Masked Bandit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (2)

quote:

I use to drive to those big green bins once a while too. It's kinda nice and convenient in a way that I don't have to anymore.

I only roll out the blue bin every two weeks or so if not more. I roll out the black bin every week because I don't want it to smell but it is never close to full. I'm guessing that the size of the bins may have something to do with the picker truck.

Option may not work. It won't be feasible to send a truck to a neighbourhood to pick up garbage of two households.

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:17 PM
lilmira is online now Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)

quote:

Just another thing the city is going to add to our bills, and still resell it elsewhere, collecting more money.

Compost-able materials already compost in a landfill, and will aid in breaking other materials down in the landfill.

using the excuse that it is keeping it OUT of the landfills is a horrible argument, and just another way the city is trying to get their hand in your pocket. Oh, the added cost won't be that much you say? Ok, well add that to the waste collection fees, recycling fees, and all the other fees we can't make sense of on our Enmax bills, it adds up quite quickly!

I seriously hope this one does NOT go forward. As kenny said, those that are already interested in this, are already doing it.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:26 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.61
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by spikers
Just another thing the city is going to add to our bills, and still resell it elsewhere, collecting more money.

Municipalities that are composting, use the compost in city owned parks and green spaces instead of buying it.

Compost-able materials already compost in a landfill, and will aid in breaking other materials down in the landfill.

Really? How exactly does a rotting potato help break down a broken television?

Organic materials also need air and moisture to break down properly. Buried under a pile of garbage to then be covered by clay does nothing.

Composing programs like the one in Toronto take the organic matter and properly aerate it to ensure that it breaks down properly into a usable form.

using the excuse that it is keeping it OUT of the landfills is a horrible argument, and just another way the city is trying to get their hand in your pocket. Oh, the added cost won't be that much you say? Ok, well add that to the waste collection fees, recycling fees, and all the other fees we can't make sense of on our Enmax bills, it adds up quite quickly!

Seriously. The program will probably cost a few bucks a month. If you don't like it, you can live out in the country and haul your own garbage to the transfer station at $10-20 load or pile it up in your own backyard.

Having a modern civilization costs money.

Just wait until Canada ends up like Europe where your garbage is weighed every week and you get a bill based on how much you didn't compost or recycle.

Old Post 10-19-2011 08:47 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
atgilchrist
First Gear

What I drive:

quote:

In Kelowna, we have relatively small black garbage bins (only holds 1 large size black garbage bags) but have a big blue bin and a big yard waste bin. Garbage is picked up weekly, and the other two are picked up on alternating weeks. Considering how little effort is involved is putting your waste in 3 bins instead of 1, it seems worth it to minimize the amount of waste that is buried (especially here where there isn't unlimited land).

Old Post 10-19-2011 09:03 PM
atgilchrist is offline Click Here to See the Profile for atgilchrist Click here to Send atgilchrist a Private Message Find more posts by atgilchrist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hampstor

What I drive: GMC
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

As someone who composts, I certainly hope there is an opt-out option for those who already compost as I don't think i will even use this.

Old Post 10-19-2011 09:30 PM
hampstor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hampstor Click here to Send hampstor a Private Message Find more posts by hampstor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LollerBrader

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Originally posted by ExtraSlow

In effect, there is no incentive to recycle or compost under the current system, since you can thorw away as much in the huge black bin as you want.

It's been great for getting rid of reno waste that I couldn't otherwise have fit in a black plastic bag.

The black bin has saved me several trips to the dump.

Old Post 10-19-2011 09:35 PM
LollerBrader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LollerBrader Click here to Send LollerBrader a Private Message Find more posts by LollerBrader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)

quote:

Originally posted by LollerBrader

It's been great for getting rid of reno waste that I couldn't otherwise have fit in a black plastic bag.

The black bin has saved me several trips to the dump.

Yeah, that's handy, but it's exactly the opposite of the bahaviour we should be encouraging. People producing abnormal amounts of waste should be penalized.

Old Post 10-19-2011 09:44 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TimG
Neutral

What I drive: 2009 Forester
Posts/Day: 0.06

quote:

I don't get why any of the bins are so freakin huge here in Calgary. When i lived in Ottawa the black/blue/green bins were all 1/3 to 1/4 of the size of the ones here.

Old Post 10-19-2011 10:51 PM
TimG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TimG Click here to Send TimG a Private Message Find more posts by TimG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 03:24 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Green cart for compost goes live (was trial)

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: