Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Best no-fee bank account?

Author
Thread
Zero102
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 99%

Best no-fee bank account? quote:

I know this has been discussed somewhat before but the threads I see are all somewhat dated and I believe current offerings have changed in that time....

I am currently with PC financial, who has done something that has pissed me off for what I would like to be the last time and I no longer trust them with my money so I would like to move it somewhere else.

Here is what is important to me:
No fee bank account for a reasonable number of debit / interac transactions (unlimited would be nice but I only use about 20 a month)
Free cheques (although I have used less than 20 in the past 10 years so this isn't super important)
Good online banking - easy bill payments, including scheduled bill payments, and easy viewing of long term history
No surprise fees

It would be nice if it was from an institution that I could also move my unsecured LoC to as well.

It would also be nice if they offered 2-3 separate savings accounts as we have several automated deposits coming in each month and I like to let the money pool up separately, although again, this isn't a huge deal to me.

Previously I banked with First Calgary, but this was ages ago and the only no-fees account they had was a student account (which I was at the time) and their online banking was crap. I have seen a bunch of commercials for their new no fees account but I don't expect them to come right out and list the shortcomings, so, does anybody on here have this account? What's the catch?

If not them, who offers the best bank account for me?

Originally posted by Vagabond142
Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-07-2012 04:21 PM
Zero102 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zero102 Click here to Send Zero102 a Private Message Find more posts by Zero102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

turbotrip
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (61)

quote:

TD Select Service, but minimum $5k balance required at all times to waive fees

Old Post 06-07-2012 04:26 PM
turbotrip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for turbotrip Click here to Send turbotrip a Private Message Find more posts by turbotrip Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JLau

What I drive: SLK55 AMG, CLK320
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

I think first calgary financial has a new no fee account, you should check them out

if you can keep 5k at td, the select service account is awesome

Old Post 06-07-2012 04:26 PM
JLau is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JLau Click here to Send JLau a Private Message Find more posts by JLau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corsvette
Second Gear

What I drive: 6.6 turbo
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

I have a no fee account at First Calgary, happy with it so far, no minimum balance to keep either.

Old Post 06-07-2012 05:31 PM
corsvette is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corsvette Click here to Send corsvette a Private Message Find more posts by corsvette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

PC Financial

Old Post 06-07-2012 05:37 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Originally posted by max_boost
PC Financial

Re-read the OP

Originally posted by Zero102

I am currently with PC financial, who has done something that has pissed me off for what I would like to be the last time and I no longer trust them with my money so I would like to move it somewhere else.

Details? Just curious what they've done, as I've considered going to them a few times.

Old Post 06-07-2012 05:53 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
max_boost
Beyond Bully

What I drive: nothing special :(
Posts/Day: 1.79
Trader Rating: (31)
User Rating: 123%

quote:

Damn. Totally missed it.

Old Post 06-07-2012 06:16 PM
max_boost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for max_boost Click here to Send max_boost a Private Message Find more posts by max_boost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Another recommendation for TD Select Service Account -> 5K balance negates all fees and it comes loaded with free services and other products

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...unts/select.jsp

•Unlimited transactions
•Deposits are free
•Annual fee waived on a Premium TD Credit Card
(a value of up to $170)
•Free small Safety Deposit Box (subject to availability, a value of $60.00 annually)
•Free Paperless or monthly statement Record Keeping option
•Free certified cheques (a value of $10.00 per cheque)
•Order your Free personal cheques online through EasyWeb; any style, including premium (a value of up to $53)
•No-fee Canadian and U.S. Dollar drafts
•No commission fee for Canadian and U.S. traveler's cheques
•No TD or network fee for non-TD ATM use anywhere in world (Interac network in Canada; Plus network outside of Canada3)
•Free Borderless Plan with a U.S. Dollar Account (a value of US $4.95 / month)
•TD U.S. Dollar Visa Card with annual fee waived4 (a US$39 value)
•Preferred foreign exchange rates
•No commission fee for regular U.S. Dollar Travelers' Cheques
•No-fee U.S. Dollar drafts
•$25 off the annual fee on your Self-Directed RSP/RIF with TD Waterhouse Discount Brokerage
•1/4% interest bonus on 1-5 Year Guaranteed Investment Certificates

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 06-07-2012 at 06:44 PM

Old Post 06-07-2012 06:38 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zero102
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (10)

quote:

TD Select Service sounds pretty sweet... I don't quite have a 5K minimum balance in my account but I am trying to get there and then some as I would like to have a 6-months living allowance rainy day fund.

So far it sounds like First Calgary has the best account for me right now.

As for what they did, there has been about 12 years of occasional screw-ups on their part, things like:

Not properly updating my address when I called in to change it so I would receive cheques at my new address with my old one printed on them (in a different province, a bit of an issue...), then screwing it up 5 more times until finally I have a mountain of cheque books with the wrong address and I stopped caring any more

Charging my NSF fees when I had the money in my account and available

Outright rude and deliberately unhelpful staff when I call in

Today's screw up is yet another completely unjustified $45 charge that I had to call in and argue with them again to have them reverse and I've had enough of catching their mistakes. Especially when they had no right to charge me $45 in the first place, then get mad at ME when I don't accept them telling me that crediting me 22,500 PC points counts as "meeting me half-way" and that I should be happy to get that much. I don't give a fuck about their PC points, they took $45 of my money and I expect all of it back.

I stuck with them due to a lack of alternatives but I feel like there are much better options right now and this thread is confirming that. Thanks for the advice

Originally posted by Vagabond142
Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Old Post 06-07-2012 07:08 PM
Zero102 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Zero102 Click here to Send Zero102 a Private Message Find more posts by Zero102 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schocker
Fifth Gear

What I drive: Euro Accord Brah
Posts/Day: 1.46
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Another recommendation for TD Select Service Account -> 5K balance negates all fees and it comes loaded with free services and other products

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...unts/select.jsp

edit: i am so dumb, i am so dumb
That account sounds pretty great. $5k in savings seems like a good chunk but those features are awesome.

Old Post 06-07-2012 07:15 PM
schocker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for schocker Click here to Send schocker a Private Message Visit schocker's homepage! Find more posts by schocker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
silvercivicsir
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (18)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

only bad thing about First Calgary is the limited number of Branches/ATM's... With PC atleast you can use any CIBC..

Old Post 06-07-2012 07:19 PM
silvercivicsir is offline Click Here to See the Profile for silvercivicsir Click here to Send silvercivicsir a Private Message Find more posts by silvercivicsir Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OU812
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

•No TD or network fee for non-TD ATM use anywhere in world (Interac network in Canada; Plus network outside of Canada3)

What does this mean? Dont they charge you a fee on top pf your withdrawl amount? ie 20 + 1.75 so 21.75??

Old Post 06-07-2012 11:54 PM
OU812 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OU812 Click here to Send OU812 a Private Message Find more posts by OU812 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lauphman
Neutral

What I drive: 2010 Genesis coupe 2.0t
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

It won't be always no fee but because I set up a new account at rbc at there new branch walden Gate they waved all my bank fees for 6months. After that there basic account is 4$ a month and it can be waived or reduced with additional products from rbc like a credit card or mortgage.

Old Post 06-08-2012 12:14 AM
lauphman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lauphman Click here to Send lauphman a Private Message Find more posts by lauphman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dezmarez
Neutral

What I drive: 2015 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 2
Posts/Day: 0.06

quote:

Originally posted by OU812

What does this mean? Dont they charge you a fee on top pf your withdrawl amount? ie 20 + 1.75 so 21.75??

That extra fee you get at the ATM is the charge from the ATM itself. Most banks charge you a seperate $1.50 at the end of the month every time you use one of these machines ($3 in North America, $5 outisde north america)

What the select service waives is the extra month end service charge.

Great value. Along with all of the other benefits of it.

It is definetly more cost effective to carry a $5,000 balance in the Select Service account, then $5,000 in any savings account at the moment.

In theory you could save around $800/year in bank fees (if you use every feature) which is about a "16%" return on your $5,000 investment.

Old Post 06-08-2012 12:40 AM
dezmarez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dezmarez Click here to Send dezmarez a Private Message Find more posts by dezmarez Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bladeh
Neutral

What I drive: Gas guzzler!
Posts/Day: 0.03

quote:

There's the TD Infinity account,

Fees:
TD Canada Trust

$14.95/month - waived with a $3,500 minimum monthly balance

No way near as many benefits as the Select though.

Old Post 06-08-2012 02:53 AM
Bladeh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bladeh Click here to Send Bladeh a Private Message Find more posts by Bladeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swak
Second Gear

What I drive: FERD ST & Bikes
Posts/Day: 0.35
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Originally posted by Bladeh
There's the TD Infinity account,

Fees:
TD Canada Trust

$14.95/month - waived with a $3,500 minimum monthly balance

No way near as many benefits as the Select though.

This is what i have, not the $3,500 min tho... Didn't know that feature existed actually.... Possibly worth it to transfer monies from savings account

Old Post 06-08-2012 03:07 AM
swak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swak Click here to Send swak a Private Message Find more posts by swak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CanmoreOrLess
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.52
User Rating: 92%

quote:

I use ING, been three months in and no issues.

Old Post 06-08-2012 05:29 AM
CanmoreOrLess is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CanmoreOrLess Click here to Send CanmoreOrLess a Private Message Find more posts by CanmoreOrLess Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JLau

What I drive: SLK55 AMG, CLK320
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

Originally posted by silvercivicsir
only bad thing about First Calgary is the limited number of Branches/ATM's... With PC atleast you can use any CIBC..

You can use their global payment car to withdraw month at any atm that has MC symbol on it

Old Post 06-08-2012 05:34 AM
JLau is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JLau Click here to Send JLau a Private Message Find more posts by JLau Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
claxx

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.00

quote:

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I use ING, been three months in and no issues.

+1

Old Post 06-08-2012 09:45 AM
claxx is offline Click Here to See the Profile for claxx Click here to Send claxx a Private Message Find more posts by claxx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZenOps
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08

quote:

The bank that has the best pennies and nickels

RBC is supposedly starting to charge 16 cents per roll at some branches, now that we are in the final stages of copper confiscation.

Old Post 06-08-2012 12:06 PM
ZenOps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ZenOps Click here to Send ZenOps a Private Message Find more posts by ZenOps Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:32 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > Best no-fee bank account?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: