Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Why Don't Wagons Sell?

Author
Thread
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

Question Why Don't Wagons Sell? quote:

So after reading several threads here, a question lingers in my head:

Why don't we buy more wagons?

- They're roomy
- Provides comfort of a car with the utility of a minivan
- Looks cool
- Goes fast (some of them haha)
- Enthusiasts love 'em

So why don't they sell? Why does North America have a fascination with the crossover SUV when a wagon can do all those things?

Or is it because there's no wagon that's priced aggressively to against these crossovers? An E63 AMG wagon is $100k while a CTS-Vagon is >$50k easy.

Discuss.

Last edited by flipstah on 07-25-2013 at 07:40 PM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:21 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

lint
Second Gear

What I drive: Ecoboost
Posts/Day: 0.30
Trader Rating: (72)
User Rating: 120%

quote:

when people hear wagon, they think of

And women prefer the higher seating position of the SUV, so they can see over other cars and feel safer

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:25 PM
lint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lint Click here to Send lint a Private Message Find more posts by lint Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tik-Tok
Cowboy Hunter

What I drive: Japanese functionality, Swedish style.
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (12)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Because Americans don't buy wagons, because women like to sit higher, "feeling safer", and most men would prefer to be seen in a SUV like car, rather than a wagon. It's not "manly" to drive a wagon

I get a lot of grief for my Audi estate from my friends, but I love the thing.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:26 PM
Tik-Tok is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tik-Tok Click here to Send Tik-Tok a Private Message Find more posts by Tik-Tok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.64
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

It is also because gas is cheap in North America.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:33 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boosted131
First Gear

What I drive: cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 grizzly 700, rmx450
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Because most people like the look of their non wagon equivalent or think "wagons are gay".

If I could take the cts-v or the wagon, id take the non wagon

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
2010 suzuki rmx450
2004 cbr600f4i
2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS (27's, clutched, warn winch, chipped)

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:35 PM
Boosted131 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boosted131 Click here to Send Boosted131 a Private Message Find more posts by Boosted131 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
corsvette
Second Gear

What I drive: 6.6 turbo
Posts/Day: 0.53
Trader Rating: (3)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

There have been some awful sweet wagons come out in the last few years. Seems the only wagons that sell well are Subarus. SUV/CUV have killed wagons.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:36 PM
corsvette is offline Click Here to See the Profile for corsvette Click here to Send corsvette a Private Message Find more posts by corsvette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xnvy
Second Gear

What I drive: Horse
Posts/Day: 0.72
Trader Rating: (3)

quote:

Because we hate utility

xnvy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for xnvy Click here to Send xnvy a Private Message Find more posts by xnvy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Perfect Dark
Neutral

What I drive: RSTi
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

I had a constant revolving garage of vehicles until I got my WRX wagon and now that I have it the plan is to drive it into the ground. It's perfect for what I need out of a daily driver and when the time comes for something more fun at least I'll always have a practical car to fall back on.

Gratuitous photo:

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Last edited by Perfect Dark on 07-25-2013 at 07:41 PM

Perfect Dark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Perfect Dark Click here to Send Perfect Dark a Private Message Find more posts by Perfect Dark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.74
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

Re: Why Don't Wagons Sell? quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
... while a CTS-Vagon is <$50k easy.

No it's not. Not even close.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:38 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

Re: Re: Why Don't Wagons Sell? quote:

Originally posted by Disoblige

No it's not. Not even close.

Oops. Wrong sign. FAIL.

Edited.

I don't think the height factor was the one that killed the wagon because the Jeep existed with the wagons and they were doing fine.

Old Post 07-25-2013 07:40 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Meh, a Wagon is like a bungalow with a half ass expansion done on the side that makes it look awkward. If you need the extra space, get a two story that will was designed from the start to have it.... Or in car terms an SUV

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:06 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

So another question - are any of these real station wagons or are they glorified 4 door hatchbacks. Back in the 60-70's, wagons either had fold down tailgates or they had swing-to-the-side tailgates but all of what is considered a modern wagon is in reality a 4 door hatchback. Even all of the SUV/CUV's are just bigger versions of a hatchback - I remember when SUV's had roll down rear windows and a tailgate that flopped down just like a station wagon.

So when is a vehicle considered a wagon and when is it considered a 4 door hatch? Case in point, a 2013 Mini Countryman or a 2013 Honda Fit - are they 4 door hatches or a 4 door wagons (in the modern sense)? They both have that side window behind the rear door which would seem to fit the loose definition of what a wagon has evolved into. What about a 2013 Chev Sonic - missing that extra side window but fits in nicely in the class of vehicle that the Fit does. So what is a wagon?

Last edited by speedog on 07-25-2013 at 08:23 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:09 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Inzane
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.23

Re: Why Don't Wagons Sell? quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
Why don't we buy more wagons?

- They're roomy
- Provides comfort of a car with the utility of a minivan
- Looks cool
- Goes fast (some of them haha)
- Enthusiasts love 'em

So why don't they sell? Why does North America have a fascination with the crossover SUV when a wagon can do all those things?

Very good question.

When I bought my 335i in 2009, the ONLY wagon option in the line at the time was the 328xi, which is not what I wanted. (may have only been AT too, can't recall). They sell very few and hence the rarity. If they had offered a 335i wagon I would've very strongly considered it over the sedan.

The next summer I was in Munich and got a tour of the BMW plant where they built my E90. The production line I saw on the tour was the sedan and wagon line (same line). The production split at that time was approximately 50/50. Obviously the first thought that came to me was... where the fuck are all those wagons going (because they sure as hell don't come over here). Wagons are hugely popular in Europe.

They just haven't ever caught on here, and I suspect as someone else already eluded to we are stuck with a stigma from the past from the revenge of the nerds style domestic full size wagons.

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:30 PM
Inzane is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Inzane Click here to Send Inzane a Private Message Find more posts by Inzane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomt64
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by Perfect Dark

click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Fantastic daily.

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:33 PM
tomt64 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tomt64 Click here to Send tomt64 a Private Message Find more posts by tomt64 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

It's all about perception.

Just like Minivans. It is by far the roomiest and most practical of all "family" vehicles, yet everyone wants an SUV instead, which are often less roomy, worse on gas, and more expensive. Station wagons fall into the minivan category for lots of people.

Also, a lot of wagons are hideous. The Germans are the only ones putting out good looking wagons (IMHO) and the entry price is high. That weeds out even more people.

More than anything it comes down to perception. People don't want to tell people they drive a minivan or station wagon - women especially want SUV's for this reason, along with the "safe" feeling of a large, high, SUV.

The RS6 wagon is my all time favorite. Such a perfect vehicle. The CTS wagons look the worst IMO, almost as bad as the CTS coupe.

Last edited by Mitsu3000gt on 07-25-2013 at 08:52 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:48 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CanmoreOrLess
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.52
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

I can see a point being made about a wagon being slightly louder than a sedan, also there is the lack of security in carrying your Picasso (Married with Children ref.) in the rear of a wagon as opposed to a locked down trunk. Modern day wagons just look better to my eye, as do mid 70's to mid 80's Mercs.

I'll bet more gay guys drive SUV vehicles than drive wagons, so much for the manly theory. I'll further the bet to include hairdressers and male church organ players as SUV owners.

I am open with my desire for a brand new Landcruiser and somewhat secure enough to admit it.

Last edited by CanmoreOrLess on 07-25-2013 at 08:55 PM

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:52 PM
CanmoreOrLess is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CanmoreOrLess Click here to Send CanmoreOrLess a Private Message Find more posts by CanmoreOrLess Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CapnCrunch
First Gear

What I drive: Vettel's #1
Posts/Day: 0.46
User Rating: 99%

quote:

You're generally sacrificing a cars looks for 3-4 cubic feet of extra storage space.

Vettel's #1

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:53 PM
CapnCrunch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CapnCrunch Click here to Send CapnCrunch a Private Message Find more posts by CapnCrunch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
speedog
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.66
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 104%

quote:

D pillar - a wagon has to have a D pillar.

Some B-class competitors - the 2013 Honda Fit and the 2013 Ford Fiesta are wagons while the 2013 Chev Sonic is a 4 door hatch.

Old Post 07-25-2013 08:58 PM
speedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for speedog Click here to Send speedog a Private Message Find more posts by speedog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blitz
Third Gear

What I drive: S4 Avant / Fiesta ST / Forester XT
Posts/Day: 0.57
Trader Rating: (23)

quote:

Same fun factor as a car, but you can haul around a table saw if need be. It's win/win in my eyes.

I'd blame the amount of space in North America. People like straight line speed, which an SUV can provide, and have the space to own and park 2 vehicles (an SUV and a sports car).

Old Post 07-25-2013 09:00 PM
blitz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blitz Click here to Send blitz a Private Message Visit blitz's homepage! Find more posts by blitz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
You're generally sacrificing a cars looks for 3-4 cubic feet of extra storage space.

Storage space is just a small part of the equation. Clearance for larger items is the big plus for station wagons, as well as isolation for a dog. There's only so much you can choose from at Ikea in a sedan with the seats folded down. Although somehow I surprised myself and was able to bring home a 55" TV in the box as well as a kids bike in the CLS last month...

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 07-25-2013 09:04 PM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 08:16 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Car Forums > General Car/Bike Talk > Why Don't Wagons Sell?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: