Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Uber in Calgary Thread

Author
Thread
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 100%

Uber coming to Calgary? quote:

For those who aren't aware, Uber is doing an introductory trial in Calgary this week.

http://blog.uber.com/calgary
https://www.uber.com/

Uber fits between car2go and taxis. You enter start and finish destinations in an app and receive a fare quote. If you accept, it will connect you to a driver who you can track on a map via GPS while they come to get you. I hadn't heard of it until a recent trip to San Francisco where it's apparently a big thing and makes getting around without a car very easy.

The trial run here seems very limited, but there are lots of options like requesting limos and splitting fares in cities where it's established. My biggest complaint about car2go is it's useless if there isn't a car nearby, which isn't a problem with Uber since they pick you up.

I'm posting this to try and generate some interest and help the trial run succeed. I thought it was a great service when I tried it and would like to see it come permanently to Calgary and provide another alternative to our terrible taxi system.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-31-2013 05:39 AM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

I'm excited for the service. The news says I can pay more to get picked up in an S Class Benz. Sign me up haha.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 10-31-2013 05:48 AM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

The only difference between this and a taxi is a fare quote.

I wonder how they are getting around the taxi bylaws in Calgary to run this...

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 10-31-2013 05:50 AM
spikerS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Great idea, so this should decrease costs compared to taxis?

Old Post 10-31-2013 05:53 AM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rage2

What I drive: Ricer SUV, Lexus Coupe in Mid Life Crisis Orange
Posts/Day: 1.11
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

Originally posted by spikers

I wonder how they are getting around the taxi bylaws in Calgary to run this...

They're not. They're trying to get exempted on the sedan rule of $80 minimum fare regardless of distance.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Old Post 10-31-2013 06:17 AM
rage2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rage2 Click here to Send rage2 a Private Message Visit rage2's homepage! Find more posts by rage2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kaput
Second Gear

Posts/Day: 0.24

quote:

Originally posted by spikers

It's much better than a taxi, it's the future of taxis.

It's no longer a game of cat and mouse to try and wave down a cab on the street or get through a grumpy middle aged woman in a call center and then wonder why your ride is 10 minutes late. The app tracks the cars on a map like car2go so you always know where they are. They offer a selection of vehicles ranging from a prius, a town car, a limo, etc. and provide immediate feedback about the availability and estimated time to pickup of each option. You can track your car on the map by gps as it comes to get you and you are connected directly to the driver and can phone them if there's a problem. You don't have to carry cash or a credit card or a tip, it's all taken care of by the app with credits that you purchase through your phone, and as you mentioned the price is provided up front so there are no surprises.

Taxi on steroids!

Old Post 10-31-2013 03:58 PM
kaput is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kaput Click here to Send kaput a Private Message Find more posts by kaput Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
austic
Neutral

What I drive: Born in Stuttgart
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

This sounds too good to be true. What is a good idea will be killed by the taxi mafia who will go protest how it will lower their standard of living and get the project killed.

Old Post 10-31-2013 05:17 PM
austic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for austic Click here to Send austic a Private Message Find more posts by austic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (4)

quote:

So anyone tried it? If I request a car, do competitive quote shows up for you to pick?

Last edited by Xtrema on 10-31-2013 at 06:26 PM

Old Post 10-31-2013 06:24 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kenny
Director of Awesomeness

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.69
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 148%

quote:

Used this service a few times while working in SF and its awesome. Fire up app, and request a car and within 3 minutes a sedan pulls up to pick our group up. Super quick because it just uses your GPS location and payment is done all through the app as well.

This works way too well, so the City of Calgary will never allow it

Old Post 10-31-2013 07:49 PM
kenny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kenny Click here to Send kenny a Private Message Find more posts by kenny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msommers
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 10' 4Runner SR5
Posts/Day: 1.39
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Such a simple concept and yet considerably better than any taxi service!

Old Post 10-31-2013 08:00 PM
msommers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msommers Click here to Send msommers a Private Message Find more posts by msommers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustinMCS
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.25

quote:

Bet you the taxi giants will try to squash this like they did that taxi app

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:03 PM
JustinMCS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustinMCS Click here to Send JustinMCS a Private Message Find more posts by JustinMCS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Type_S1
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.16
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

Can anyone answer if this will cost less than a taxi?

Taxi rates in Calgary are some of the highest I've seen in the world. New York and Tokyo are a bit more than Calgary scammers!

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:10 PM
Type_S1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Type_S1 Click here to Send Type_S1 a Private Message Find more posts by Type_S1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

This sounds awesome, basically taxi with pre-arranged payment, but I don't think they will be able to fix the problem of not NEARLY enough cars to handle demand on weekends or any holiday. Part of that is because Calgary is so sprawled.

I will enjoy not having my credit card number stolen roughly 1/5 cab rides though.

I will do anything to NOT use a Taxi, including pay more, walk further, wait longer, etc.

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:11 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l/l/rX
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

I just did a quote from my place in the NW to Local 8th ave, it said $5. This can't be right is it?

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:29 PM
l/l/rX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l/l/rX Click here to Send l/l/rX a Private Message Find more posts by l/l/rX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkupper

What I drive: 2004 Lexus IS300
Posts/Day: 0.01

quote:

Originally posted by l/l/rX
I just did a quote from my place in the NW to Local 8th ave, it said $5. This can't be right is it?

Its a flat rate of $5 until Sunday.

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:39 PM
jkupper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkupper Click here to Send jkupper a Private Message Find more posts by jkupper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gart
Neutral

What I drive: SpecB/SaturnPOS/GMCPOS
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Got a chance to try this out while in San Francisco last weekend.
Definitely a fan! Hopefully we get the same quality experience up here too.

there's also referral codes for people already on Uber that benefits new people too, so get your friends to refer ya! (Just check your email if you took a trip already)

We'd love for you to help us spread the word about Uber! Below is your custom Uber invite code . Each friend that signs up with your code will receive $10 off their first Uber ride. For each person you refer that takes a ride, we'll add $10 in Uber credit to your account. It's the ultimate Uber win-win, and there's no limit to how much credit you can earn.

(I didn't post my code, as I have no friends... but you get the point)

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:44 PM
Gart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gart Click here to Send Gart a Private Message Find more posts by Gart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mitsu3000gt
E-Gear Paddle Shifter

What I drive: 2017 Civic Hatch ST
Posts/Day: 1.80
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

So are costs pretty reasonable with the Prius? Similar to a cab?

Old Post 10-31-2013 10:58 PM
Mitsu3000gt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mitsu3000gt Click here to Send Mitsu3000gt a Private Message Find more posts by Mitsu3000gt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

I don't understand this. So after Sunday will there be the minimum $80 charge or not?

Old Post 10-31-2013 11:05 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sillysod
Second Gear

What I drive: oooo
Posts/Day: 0.32
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

Originally posted by JustinMCS
Bet you the taxi giants will try to squash this like they did that taxi app

You bet....

whenever they can find a way to show the city they may lose money they get anything shut down.

Total B.S. too, no taxi license. You know what you are getting into when you do it. Besides my experience with taxi drivers globally is just getting them to understand where you want to go is a chore, plus when it's all timed and by the mile they aren't about to start taking shortcuts.

2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

Old Post 10-31-2013 11:12 PM
sillysod is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sillysod Click here to Send sillysod a Private Message Find more posts by sillysod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51

quote:

Originally posted by jkupper

Its a flat rate of $5 until Sunday.

whaaaat?!

...too bad thats only a 50% savings over a cab for me

perhaps its a good weekend to get hammered in the suburbs

Old Post 10-31-2013 11:15 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 04:32 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Society / Law / Current Events / Politics > Uber in Calgary Thread

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: