Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary?

Author
Thread
bosa
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.08
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 97%

Question Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary? quote:

Hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in the next few weeks. I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi, with a nice atmosphere for dinner. Romantic and fun. Price isn't really an issue. Please let me know where you have enjoyed or keep going back to.

Also what alcohol goes well with most raw fish?

Thank you in advance to those who reply!

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:43 PM
bosa is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bosa Click here to Send bosa a Private Message Find more posts by bosa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.98
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

Zipang or Wa's come to mind.

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:45 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xtrema
Sixth Gear

What I drive: 2016 MB C450
Posts/Day: 1.55
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Wa's has good sushi but that place is far from romantic and fun.

Kinjo is definitely fun but noisy and only has mediocre food.

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:49 PM
Xtrema is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Xtrema Click here to Send Xtrema a Private Message Find more posts by Xtrema Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Shikiji has a fancier layout than Wa's (not by much though) but their sushi is so-so. Noodles however...

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:51 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtsniffer
Second Gear

What I drive: Silverado
Posts/Day: 0.64
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

Zipang is prett nice with great food. Not overly 'fun' though. There is a new fusion place just south of chinook that I have heard is good.

My personal dirty south fave is li-ao in bridlewood. Not expensive, not romantic, but clean and delicious!

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This thread is great, finally we are mixing the regular hate and intolerance with some actual car talk.

Originally posted by Mar
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:55 PM
dirtsniffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dirtsniffer Click here to Send dirtsniffer a Private Message Find more posts by dirtsniffer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
n1zm0
Fourth Gear

What I drive: S14|TB1
Posts/Day: 1.00
Trader Rating: (14)
User Rating: 96%

Re: Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary? quote:

Originally posted by bosa

I always think a cold glass/bottle of Asahi makes sushi even better.

Old Post 11-12-2013 07:56 PM
n1zm0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for n1zm0 Click here to Send n1zm0 a Private Message Visit n1zm0's homepage! Find more posts by n1zm0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

the service sucks balls, but Sho on Macloed trail seems (at least to me) to have pretty good quality.

Take it with a grain of salt though. This is coming from a guy who likes Kinjo, and Macloed trail sushi and BBQ.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:03 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Disoblige
Third Gear

What I drive: '90 Z32, '03 TJ, '15 Grom
Posts/Day: 0.75
Trader Rating: (28)
User Rating: 110%

quote:

Originally posted by spikers
the service sucks balls, but Sho on Macloed trail seems (at least to me) to have pretty good quality.

Take it with a grain of salt though. This is coming from a guy who likes Kinjo, and Macloed trail sushi and BBQ.

LMAO. Do not take advice from spikers on sushi. No offense to you spikers haha..

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:07 PM
Disoblige is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Disoblige Click here to Send Disoblige a Private Message Find more posts by Disoblige Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taemo
Second Gear

What I drive: rally pig
Posts/Day: 0.77
Trader Rating: (17)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

do you like rolls or nigiri sushi?

our favorites are:
Zipang
Shikiji
Towa
Koiji

other than beer, for me cold sake goes well

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:07 PM
taemo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for taemo Click here to Send taemo a Private Message Find more posts by taemo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
95EG6P
First Gear

What I drive: K20A2
Posts/Day: 0.25
Trader Rating: (48)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

blowfish is good too and sushi club

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:10 PM
95EG6P is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 95EG6P Click here to Send 95EG6P a Private Message Visit 95EG6P's homepage! Find more posts by 95EG6P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spikerS
Third Gear

What I drive: 2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
Posts/Day: 0.97
Trader Rating: (44)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

Originally posted by Disoblige

LMAO. Do not take advice from spikers on sushi. No offense to you spikers haha..

Oh dude, none take at all.

I have liked what I have eaten, but I really don't know what to be looking for when going for sushi.

Originally posted by Mibz
Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:14 PM
spikerS is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spikerS Click here to Send spikerS a Private Message Visit spikerS's homepage! Find more posts by spikerS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

I'm sure you're a cool guy but I'd pass on Sho. It looks fancy but I wouldn't go back.

Originally posted by taemo
do you like rolls or nigiri sushi?

our favorites are:
Zipang
Shikiji
Towa
Koiji

other than beer, for me cold sake goes well

Towa gets packed fast and isn't really romantic atmosphere but they're pretty good.

Asahi is pretty delicious, especially on teppanyaki (but there's no good ones here in Calgary that I know of).

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:15 PM
89coupe
Third Gear

What I drive: BMW 750i M Sport
Posts/Day: 0.50
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 98%

Re: Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary? quote:

Originally posted by bosa
Hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up in the next few weeks. I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi, with a nice atmosphere for dinner. Romantic and fun. Price isn't really an issue. Please let me know where you have enjoyed or keep going back to.

Thank you in advance to those who reply!

What part of the City do you live in?

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:25 PM
89coupe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89coupe Click here to Send 89coupe a Private Message Visit 89coupe's homepage! Find more posts by 89coupe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
n1zm0
Fourth Gear

What I drive: S14|TB1
Posts/Day: 1.00
Trader Rating: (14)

quote:

I remember my fiancee's sister was raving about this place shortly after their opening calling it an 'awesome sushi experience' and I took it with a grain of salt because she is one of those 'of course I eat sushi, all the time! Except not the raw stuff cause that's disgusting' kind of sushi eaters - so we go there, naturally all (obvious to me at least) Chinese staff, so I am already on the decline as to what i'm expecting to recieve.

You go in there and you get served this 3 item appetizer tray, it has the seasoned nori you get in the rectangles as a snack from T&T or w/e - which is fine, next to that is a bunch of kim-fken-chi and next to that ikan bilis and peanuts, there could not have been a more unauthentic display to being labeled as a 'sushi' restaurant.

So of course in the end I thought the sushi was garbage, would never go back or goto a sushi restaurant which my future sister-in-law suggests as 'awesome' But it seems to do well in terms of those who want to go there for the typical maki-sushi california/dynamite roll stuff if that's what you're into.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:29 PM
n1zm0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for n1zm0 Click here to Send n1zm0 a Private Message Visit n1zm0's homepage! Find more posts by n1zm0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.51

quote:

Zipang and Wa's are good if you like the more traditional type of japanese food, not the Cali roll/BC roll type of thing. They are ok to carry on a normal conversation but I wouldn't call them romantic, good enough for a casual date.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:39 PM
lilmira is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeleriousZ
Second Gear

What I drive: 1988 300zxt, 90 jetta
Posts/Day: 0.41

quote:

I'm stoked to try ramen from Shikiji. Been going to Menyatai and it's closest to the stuff I used to get in Vancouver so far.

Now back to sushi talk lol

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:40 PM
DeleriousZ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeleriousZ Click here to Send DeleriousZ a Private Message Visit DeleriousZ's homepage! Find more posts by DeleriousZ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
89coupe
Third Gear

What I drive: BMW 750i M Sport
Posts/Day: 0.50
User Rating: 98%

quote:

FYI, sushi means rice, not raw fish.

Also, if anyone ever tells you that the best sashimi is 'fresh' out of the Ocean doesn't know anything about raw fish.

Also, the best sushi chef's in the world will tell you that its 95% about the rice, and 5% about the fish.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:46 PM
89coupe is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 89coupe Click here to Send 89coupe a Private Message Visit 89coupe's homepage! Find more posts by 89coupe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

Originally posted by 89coupe

Also, if anyone ever tells you that the best sashimi is 'fresh' out of the Ocean doesn't know anything about raw fish.

Also, the best sushi chef's in the world will tell you that its 95% about the rice, and 5% about the fish.

What he said.

Sushi is the sashimi + the rice on the bottom. Sashimi is just the flesh.

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:50 PM
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: 79cx500 01UCF31
Posts/Day: 1.52
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

this thread is hilarious

first off... this: "I'm looking for the best fresh authentic sushi and sashimi" ...is an oxymoron. authentic sushi is NOT fresh. fresh fish doesnt have time to build any flavor

also rice wine... with rice? no... sake is not to be enjoyed WITH the sushi

zipang gets my vote for most authentic

but just from your lack of experience i would say do sukiyaki house on 9th ave. that will probably be more enjoyable. the vibe will be more "romantic" than zipang. zipang is more like a sushi bar that a westernized sushi restaurant

i cant recommend blowfish any more... but it USE to be a really good fusion joint, ubu... again really good fusion. but the service is by far the worst

Originally posted by 89coupe

you watching Anthony Bourdain the other night too?

Old Post 11-12-2013 08:55 PM
ercchry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilmira
Second Gear

What I drive: The SHBARUS
Posts/Day: 0.51

quote:

What flavour? That's why you dunk it in soy sauce.

Old Post 11-12-2013 09:05 PM
lilmira is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lilmira Click here to Send lilmira a Private Message Find more posts by lilmira Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 06:26 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Food and Dining > Best Sushi/Experience in Calgary?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: