Quantcast
Pacific Coast Highway - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Coast Highway

Default Pacific Coast Highway

Hi Guys,

I have a bunch of holidays to take here and have been kicking around the idea of driving to Vancouver and then hitting up the PCH in northern California down to LA. I am interested in driving the picturesque sections and where the great driving/twisty sections are. Is it worth checking out the Washington/Oregon sections or save the time and take the Interstate?

Has any one driven this highway and if so any tips as where to jump on it and also any other tips of what to see and where to stay along the way?

Thanks

My Ride
    Exploded.

If you're going to do PCH, you have to start from Vancouver all the way down. It's not the same if you cut two states off.

Ok, thanks for the tip...

I was jut told by a friend that Washington and Oregon have nothing on the California part...

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by BMDUBS
    Ok, thanks for the tip...

I was jut told by a friend that Washington and Oregon have nothing on the California part...
    Well, technically, they're right. It's not that exciting but if you're going from Vancouver, might as well.

Unless you like giant redwoods, then take I-5 from Vancouver/Seattle. Awesome scenery too.

My Ride
    Corvette

A great place to checkout is Pepperdine University in Malibu overlooking the highway and ocean of course, great parks and grass to just chill and gaze away.

The washington part is boring. I've done that trip a couple times, latest was last year. Usually start at Astoria Oregon and go south. There are some really twist windy parts in Oregon with some breath taking lookouts.

I would just caution against the volume of traffic if your going in July or August. Its pretty congested. Have been in early june and its pretty quiet, late june is getting busier but nothing like the summer!

Thanks for the tips so far guys. Keep them coming. Is the Redwood forest/national park worth visiting? I wouldn't mind seeing that drive through tree...

I am going in the next few days and even though I have time on my hands, I am hoping top make the drive in 3-4 days to LA through Vancouver. I also just plan on staying in hotels as I come across them on the road. Bad idea?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Man I've heard the 101 in Oregon along the coast is gorgeous! Have I been led astray?!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    NC1

Pch in la, simply amazing. Efff I wish I was rich lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Wristshots

Well, this thread was started at the right time. In the last two days, we've hit Dana Point (opted for it over Laguna after seeing both), Santa Monica and a good chunk of LA. This place is absolutely gorgeous, on and off the highway.

As we're now in the area, I've got some questions:

We should be able to get through to Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach today... Any thoughts on how time is best spent at this time of year in these areas or restaurant recommendations?

We're heading towards Palm Springs and Joshua Tree at some point as well, any recommendations for there would also be great.

We're also thinking about heading towards Red Rock Canyon; is this something we should not miss? Is there anything else in that direction which you'd recommend? Death Valley?

There are a lot of parks and forests around, which are your favourites in California?

I'm told that Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the like is overrated and no more than a few hours should be spent; is this right? What are your thoughts?

Any recommendations for Santa Catalina? I've booked a dive with a local shop and am planning to hit some trails.

Unfortunately, we won't be hitting the northern parts of the PCH as my wife is required to be in LA for work every few days. We'll have to do so ex Vancouver at a later time. However, we will be fairly mobile in SoCal for the next week or so, so any general recommendations are also greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays and the best in the new year to you all!
    Last edited by statick; 12-26-2013 at 09:00 AM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I did the section that starts at Leggett where highway 1 begins and goes out to Rockport (there's one creepy house there and that's it) and then Westport (another abandoned town). The road is incredibly twisty and a hell of a lot of fun for the driver, but not the passenger. There is basically nothing between Leggett and Fort Bragg except woods, and 2nd gear hairpins. I had to slow down because my wife was getting nauseous after about 5 miles. Fort Bragg is a hole, but at least you can get gas and some diner food there. It gets better after that, but be prepared with a full tank for that north section and gravol for your passenger.

Oregon part of PCH is very nice and diverse, highly recommend it. Done the whole drive all the way to California and I would not miss Oregon cost.

My Ride
    Corvette

Agreed, but watch for the damn logging trucks that plague this section of highway.

I've done the drive but the opposite way. Flew down to San Diego, bought a car and drove the PCH from LA to Vancouver.

My favourite part by far was the the area by Big Sur, CA. Pebble beach is in that area but man, the corners, etc are great.

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://goo.gl/maps/6Az6L

Hope your car has aftermarket suspension and performance tires.

I did the PCH from San Fran down to LA and it was amazing. Absolutely stunning in a convertible, top down the entire way. Would definitely recommend it.

My Ride
    rally pig

from what I've read, PCH is best done driving north but southbound, you'll be on the coast side so you'll have a more exciting drive and better view right?

i've only done it southbound but would like to do it northbound next

My Ride
    V8s

I did it northbound on a sport bike, switched to the I-5 after California because we ran out of time and were getting too cold (final destination Victoria, did it in September).

I did a bunch of driving around on the northern bits as well on different trips, and IMO, by far the coolest part is through Big Sur (and most fun for riding/driving). Don't miss Big Sur. Also saw some really cool cars there, most notably a pair of 300SL gullwings.

My Ride
    '12 Ram1500 Sport

Beautiful drive. Last last summer from San Fran to LA. good scenery. really gets lots of bends around big sur area, if I remember correctly. We stayed overnight in santa maria, next day drove through the outlet malls on way to LA.

I'm planning on taking the family to Disney and maybe a quick trip to Vegas as well in July, we have about 2 weeks so I'm planning ahead to see where to stop at along the way and budget.

Probably taking the the I15 on our way back and I've done that trip before so I'm not too concerned about the drive back. If anyone has done this recently any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bumpin' this up.

I'm heading to California this week. I'm thinking of driving the PCH from San Jose down to Los Angeles. Google maps is suggesting about 8.5-9 hour drive. Is that a pretty accurate number, assuming minimal rest stops and no construction?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast