Quantcast
Basement Floors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Basement Floors

Default Basement Floors

We are having our basement developed by the builder and they indicated that they install the carpet and tile over concrete and don't put any form of sub floor. They do offer this product Delta Fl but costs $6 a sq ft to have installed. For those that have installed carpet right over concrete do you find any moisture issues come summer (i.e mold)? Are the floors really cold in the winter? Any other recommendations?

Thanks

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

It's fine, they will most likely install a mold resistant pad. I did two basements without anything else and it's perfectly fine, and warm. Under every carpet there is a pad.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I went with a DriCore subfloor, then pad, then carpet. Feels a lot softer than concrete + pad + carpet. It's pricey, but you can do the cheaper version, which is planton + plywood + pad + carpet which will feel the same. Only issue is its not as easy to get the flooring even.

Go to a flooring and carpet store, they can setup all sorts of different layers for you to walk on and try out.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Floors will definitely be cold, and hard. That's what we had before I renovated. Even though we have a short ceiling height, I still put in a real subfloor with styrofoam insulation between the 2x4's, and holy crap does it make a difference. The floor is the same temp. as the main now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Floors will definitely be cold, and hard. That's what we had before I renovated. Even though we have a short ceiling height, I still put in a real subfloor with styrofoam insulation between the 2x4's, and holy crap does it make a difference. The floor is the same temp. as the main now.
    I don't remember how cold my undeveloped floors with patches of pad+carpet were, I always wore shoes downstairs back then. But yea, with the DriCore + pad + carpet, you don't even need heated floors. Even on the coldest days it feels exactly the same as upstairs.

btw - Delta-Fl is the cheaper system that I was talking about in my first post there. At $6 a sq foot, that's fucking expensive.

Delta-Fl : http://cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca-en/...roducts/fl.php

DriCore: http://www.dricore.com/en/homeowner.aspx

DriCore is the pricey option, and costs about $2/sqft + labour.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by eblend
    It's fine, they will most likely install a mold resistant pad. I did two basements without anything else and it's perfectly fine, and warm. Under every carpet there is a pad.
    That's what I did in basement. Yes, it's fine. But not a day goes by that I wish I have softer floor, especially after years of use.

But now that most insurance has changed their policy on sewer backup after 2013 flood, you may not want to invest too much in basement.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Xtrema

That's what I did in basement. Yes, it's fine. But not a day goes by that I wish I have softer floor, especially after years of use.

But now that most insurance has changed their policy on sewer backup after 2013 flood, you may not want to invest too much in basement.
    Unless you are with Masked Bandit.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Instead of doing subfloor I just did 10lb underlay with memory foam. I've never heard complaints of my floors cold. In fact I've been told by many people that it's the softest floor they've ever stood on. Sub floor is overkill IMO unless you have extra cash laying around.

How much is the memory foam? I've heard of others doing that and that it too was the softest floor.

My Ride
    MDX

Having a soft floor is great, but if it is still cold what good is it? I'd rather have a thermal break and dry floor over soft.

Suited basement, you'll want to put down the thickest matting you can.
    No mold issues.

Cold air returns are the best way to ensure your basement is warm.
    Or a dedicated furnace for the basement.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

This is what I used when I developed my basement.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dmx-1-step/813313

I have laminate flooring, its cheap and effective. And pretty much the same idea/ tech with Delta and Dricore

If your installing carpet I think you still need to put plywood. There should be instructions on their website for each type of flooring your putting in.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by DENZILDON

I have laminate flooring, its cheap and effective. And pretty much the same idea/ tech with Delta and Dricore

If your installing carpet I think you still need to put plywood. There should be instructions on their website for each type of flooring your putting in.
    Yea, that's the same as Delta-Fl, which is why I'm kinda shocked the homebuilder is charging $6/sq foot. If I remember right, even with the plywood, it works out to around $1/sqft + labour and only takes an hour or 2 to install.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

^^^That is a bit pricey

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Originally posted by juwantme
    How much is the memory foam? I've heard of others doing that and that it too was the softest floor.
    For 650 sq ft it was 1500 more. We live in Alberta here, not many people ate going to tell you they have moisture problems in their basement. Easily one of my best upgrade decisions

When you go up to a 10lb underlay or higher its all mold resistant anyways.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Originally posted by DENZILDON

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Does the DMX handle minor uneven concrete well (no squeaks in floor)? I know laminate is a solid floor, but I'm also wondering if it feels softer or more cushioned somehow with the DMX.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You'll have to even things out by working in smaller sections and shimming the DMX/Delta-Fl for that area. Not sure what you'd use for shims.

edit - Delta-Fl website says to use cut strips of the material as shims up to 1/4". Guessing that's the same with DMX.

You're supposed to put T&G plywood/osb over the Delta-FL, which will raise the cost.

Anyhow I used it at the old house. I didn't use it again at the new house. Put down the heaviest underlay I could find, it's warm. The top end stuff has a plastic membrane on top to prevent spills from going down to the subfloor.

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Does the DMX handle minor uneven concrete well (no squeaks in floor)? I know laminate is a solid floor, but I'm also wondering if it feels softer or more cushioned somehow with the DMX.
    Web site says if I'm not mistaken has 1/4 inch leeway on a 120 degree radius.

I have one spot that I missed on a corner of my music studio. No squeaks but I can tell when I step on it that its softer than most of the basement but no issues at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast