Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

Author
Thread
MalibuStacy
Neutral

What I drive: 2001 Taurus Road Warrior
Posts/Day: 0.14
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 99%

Question Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice quote:

So I am applying to the CPS this summer/fall, and I have a few questions about the application process. I have collected all the references and everything required for the paperwork; but I am concerned that I need to practice for the panel interview. I am wondering if anyone on here has any sites or documents I could use to prepare. Perhaps TrafficCop would like to weigh in.

Any help would be great, seeing as this is a career that I have been working towards for some time now.

PM me if you have any good people to talk to or have specific info.

Jory

Originally posted by speedog
So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-13-2015 10:11 PM
MalibuStacy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MalibuStacy Click here to Send MalibuStacy a Private Message Find more posts by MalibuStacy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ShermanEF9
Second Gear

What I drive: '13 F150 King Ranch, 99 Civic SiR
Posts/Day: 0.40
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Just make sure you're 100% honest and really think through your answers during the panel. My friend went through it a couple of years ago and it was the most stressful week of his life.

Old Post 03-13-2015 10:53 PM
ShermanEF9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShermanEF9 Click here to Send ShermanEF9 a Private Message Find more posts by ShermanEF9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bourge73
First Gear

What I drive: CRV, Expedition, Maxima
Posts/Day: 0.27
Trader Rating: (35)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

have you ever done drugs ?
Do you drink?
Have you done anything bad ? ( driving and HHR counts ) jk
They will find everything out about you...be honest!!

A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Old Post 03-14-2015 02:59 AM
bourge73 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bourge73 Click here to Send bourge73 a Private Message Find more posts by bourge73 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LadyLuck

What I drive: 15 Civic Si
Posts/Day: 0.13
Trader Rating: (16)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

blueline.ca
Public Forums - Law Enforcement Applicants FAQ - Calgary Police Service, lots of reading but also lots of great info from successful applicants.

Good Luck.

What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
"It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Old Post 03-14-2015 04:55 AM
LadyLuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LadyLuck Click here to Send LadyLuck a Private Message Find more posts by LadyLuck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traffic_Cop
Neutral

What I drive: My wife crazy!
Posts/Day: 0.03

quote:

I actually sit on some of the recruit panels. pm me

Old Post 03-14-2015 01:18 PM
Traffic_Cop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traffic_Cop Click here to Send Traffic_Cop a Private Message Find more posts by Traffic_Cop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ianmcc
First Gear

What I drive: 94 SN95, 00 V6 Focus
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (12)

quote:

Just remember-it's not a lie if you believe it.

Same applies to stupid.

Old Post 03-14-2015 02:36 PM
ianmcc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ianmcc Click here to Send ianmcc a Private Message Find more posts by ianmcc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duaner
Neutral

What I drive: Something Swedish
Posts/Day: 0.07

Re: Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice quote:

Originally posted by MalibuStacy
So I am applying to the CPS this summer/fall, and I have a few questions about the application process. I have collected all the references and everything required for the paperwork; but I am concerned that I need to practice for the panel interview. I am wondering if anyone on here has any sites or documents I could use to prepare. Perhaps TrafficCop would like to weigh in.

Any help would be great, seeing as this is a career that I have been working towards for some time now.

PM me if you have any good people to talk to or have specific info.

Jory

I went to a recruiting information session last year and I'm pretty sure that the officer leading the session said they hold practice classes for the interview. If I were to apply, that would be the hardest part for sure.

Old Post 03-14-2015 02:48 PM
duaner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duaner Click here to Send duaner a Private Message Find more posts by duaner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MalibuStacy
Neutral

What I drive: 2001 Taurus Road Warrior
Posts/Day: 0.14

quote:

Traffic_Cop pm'd

Originally posted by speedog
So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

Old Post 03-16-2015 11:27 PM
MalibuStacy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MalibuStacy Click here to Send MalibuStacy a Private Message Find more posts by MalibuStacy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traffic_Cop
Neutral

quote:

If anyone else is considering applying just post a question or PM me. I also recommend this video for the interview.

http://youtu.be/ZlHuVh5mp_M

Old Post 03-18-2015 05:43 PM
Traffic_Cop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Traffic_Cop Click here to Send Traffic_Cop a Private Message Find more posts by Traffic_Cop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
snowcat
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.22

quote:

Apply for traffic and give tickets to double parking cabs.

Originally posted by eblend
But seriously, is this one of those cases where Asians buy expensive things they can't afford only to keep up the appearances...who drives a BMW with one way coverage

Old Post 03-18-2015 06:53 PM
snowcat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for snowcat Click here to Send snowcat a Private Message Find more posts by snowcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trevh

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
If anyone else is considering applying just post a question or PM me. I also recommend this video for the interview.

http://youtu.be/ZlHuVh5mp_M

I watched this video just now. How did I manage to pass the interview?!?! Very well done.

Old Post 03-18-2015 09:51 PM
trevh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trevh Click here to Send trevh a Private Message Find more posts by trevh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.98
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Recommend a good refresh of English and Grammar skills. Typing reports and making phone calls will become 1/4 of your shift.

Your reports have to be extremely clear and precise (personal member notes dont).

Old Post 03-18-2015 11:08 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rat Fink
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

I see that it is recommended for responses to be in the 6-8 minute range for each question. If you have an applicant that tends not to have much fluff in what they say in person and comes up with a 3-4 minute example yet still covers all points with the STAR format, would you see that as acceptable?

Old Post 03-19-2015 12:59 AM
Rat Fink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rat Fink Click here to Send Rat Fink a Private Message Find more posts by Rat Fink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CanmoreOrLess
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.54
Trader Rating: (1)
User Rating: 92%

quote:

From the three cops I've spoken with in the last year, you should practice your British accent.

Old Post 03-19-2015 01:05 AM
CanmoreOrLess is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CanmoreOrLess Click here to Send CanmoreOrLess a Private Message Find more posts by CanmoreOrLess Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dertz

What I drive: Big Blue
Posts/Day: 0.05

quote:

look and ACT the part

Your #1 hater

Old Post 04-15-2015 08:42 PM
Dertz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dertz Click here to Send Dertz a Private Message Find more posts by Dertz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
se7en
First Gear

What I drive: a really big tow vehicle
Posts/Day: 0.15
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Um trafficcop, couple questions.

Let's just say I decided to try to become a cop...are any criminal records a no go? Arrest records? Is it true that you can't have done drugs for three years?

Old Post 04-17-2015 03:42 AM
se7en is offline Click Here to See the Profile for se7en Click here to Send se7en a Private Message Visit se7en's homepage! Find more posts by se7en Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leftwing
Neutral

What I drive: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Posts/Day: 0.10

quote:

From the CPS application form. Doesn't say anything specific to drugs, but I assume drugs would fall under 'criminal activity'.

REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
Canadian citizen, landed immigrant status or permanent resident status (living in Canada or the United States for three years).
At least 18 years of age.
Class 5 Driver's license (non GDL) with no more than five demerit points.
Meet medical/health and fitness standards. Medical requirements self-assessment
No unpardoned criminal convictions.
No criminal charges pending before the courts.
No criminal activity within the last three years both detected and undetected.
Strong credit rating.
One year clear of discharge date from a bankruptcy.
Please note that these requirements are a prerequisite and you must meet them to apply. Also, remember that having the minimum requirements allow you to apply, but does not necessary mean you will be successful in our competitive hiring process.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum of two years post-secondary education and/or consistent employment history.
Volunteer experience in the community.
Work experience involving a position of responsibility and trust.
Duties that involve significant interaction with the public.
Applied knowledge of computers, including but not limited to, MS Windows, Word, Outlook, etc., and basic typing skills

Old Post 04-17-2015 03:49 AM
leftwing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for leftwing Click here to Send leftwing a Private Message Find more posts by leftwing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Traffic_Cop
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by se7en
Um trafficcop, couple questions.

Let's just say I decided to try to become a cop...are any criminal records a no go? Arrest records? Is it true that you can't have done drugs for three years?

No criminal records except where a pardon has been granted. As for drugs, arrests records etc, look at the PDF disclosure portion on the recruiting web site. You are also required to be 3 years clear of any criminal activity detected or undetected.

Old Post 04-17-2015 08:54 AM
Rat Fink
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.32

quote:

Last edited by Rat Fink on 04-17-2015 at 01:42 PM

Old Post 04-17-2015 01:22 PM
Rat Fink is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rat Fink Click here to Send Rat Fink a Private Message Find more posts by Rat Fink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phil98z24

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.02

quote:

Originally posted by se7en
I bet the po-lice person was mad because your exhaust tip reminded him of his wife's you know what. The only reason someone would want a job like that is for reasons only known to my junk email folder. (enlargement, mail order brides, etc)

Why not just be a fireman? Everyone appreciates them. Oh yeah, you dont get to be a douce(yup, i mean douce, as in poop) all the time

All just my opinion of course!

I think the law enforcement community would be better off without you or those who think this way. You're right: be a firefighter..

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Old Post 04-17-2015 01:47 PM
phil98z24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phil98z24 Click here to Send phil98z24 a Private Message Find more posts by phil98z24 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 10:03 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Careers > Tips for Applying for CPS/What to Practice

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: