Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > 2015 Beyond Portfolio Challange

Author
Thread
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

2015 Beyond Portfolio Challange quote:

Welcome to the 2015 Portfolio Challenge!

Every year we have had a stocks contest... however the number of stocks has always been limited and usually a single stock can burn somebody. We often we limit the market in which to invest as well, which detracts from the selection of stocks you can pick. This year however, we are opening the flood gates!

Basic Contest Structure

-You will be given $100,000 CAD in Beyond Dollars to invest evenly across 10 stocks.

-10,000 CAD per stock, and USD stocks will converted based on the exchange rate on XE.com on the start day, and converted back to CAD on the end date. During the contest, your portfolio will show CAD and USD balances separately.

-You cannot sell your stock prior to the end of the contest, and dividends will not be accounted for. The contest is based on the principal price amount only.

-You can choose any stock you like with three exceptions:

A) The stock must work with Google spreadsheets.
For the last contest last it was too much work to keep updating the tickers which were not functioning. If it does not function with Google spreadsheets, I will send you a PM.

B) You cannot have the same 10 stocks as someone else, 9 however is acceptable. If there is a duplication, the person who posted first will be allowed to retain, the second poster will have to change at least one selection.

C) It must be on a Canadian or US exchange

Please list the exchange and stock ticker neatly in your replies. The official start date will be based on the end of day price on May 15th, 2015

D) Clarification made on page 2 regarding how many repeat stocks you can purchase:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
if somebody decides to pick just 4 stocks (which is the minimum if they pick a 3 stocks 3 times, plus one) it won't will let them run away with a single lucky win.

This contest will conclude at end of day on May 13th, 2016

The contest winner will be offered a goofy prize of some kind, suggestions for the prize are welcome.

Good Luck!

Link to Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vFWBwys/pubhtml

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vFWBwys/pubhtml

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 10-10-2015 at 03:57 AM

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-16-2015 06:16 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

ExtraSlow
Third Gear

What I drive: 2010 Recession Fighter LX
Posts/Day: 1.12
Trader Rating: (27)
User Rating: 101%

quote:

Pure Energy Services portfolio!
Stock ticker - Market
SDRL.NYSE
HAL.NYSE
NOV.NYSE
RIG.NYSE
ATW.NYSE
CDI.TO
PD.TO
TDG.TO
ESI.TO
XDC.TO

Last year I was awesome, let's see if I can improve on that poor performance.

Edited to follow Google spreadsheets format.

Last edited by ExtraSlow on 04-20-2015 at 08:18 PM

Old Post 04-16-2015 06:57 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

What I drive: E90M3 510 Wagon
Posts/Day: 1.51
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

with the volatility of the energy sector it seems insane to make your picks a month out

also how about other products that trade on canadian or US exchanges, can we pick those? like HOD/HOU, or etf's?

Old Post 04-16-2015 06:58 PM
ercchry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

What I drive: exploded.
Posts/Day: 1.96
Trader Rating: (13)
User Rating: 102%

quote:

NYSE: CMG
NYSE: LMT
NYSE: RTH
TSE: WJA
NYSE: F
NYSE: ENB
NYSE: XOM
NASDAQ: NFLX
NYSE: BUD
NYSE: AGU

I put 4 down so no one can steal them lol.

Last edited by flipstah on 04-16-2015 at 09:03 PM

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:06 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mazdavirgin
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.05
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Originally posted by flipstah
NYSE: CMG
NYSE: LMT
NYSE: RTH
TSE: WJA

I put 4 down so no one can steal them lol.

B) You cannot have the same 10 stocks as someone else, 9 however is acceptable. If there is a duplication, the person who posted first will be allowed to retain, the second poster will have to change at least one selection.

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:10 PM
mazdavirgin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mazdavirgin Click here to Send mazdavirgin a Private Message Find more posts by mazdavirgin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

If I win again, can I get a trophy with a person bowling on top of it?

Or some BC wine!

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:30 PM
flipstah is offline Click Here to See the Profile for flipstah Click here to Send flipstah a Private Message Visit flipstah's homepage! Find more posts by flipstah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

If I win again, can I get a trophy with a person bowling on top of it?

Or some BC wine!

i think you used up all of your golden horseshoes... having a single stock come out of no where and double in the last month isnt going to do the same thing when its only 1/10th of your portfolio

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:34 PM
ercchry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for ercchry Click here to Send ercchry a Private Message Visit ercchry's homepage! Find more posts by ercchry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BavarianBeast
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.51
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Sure I'm in.

1. CNE - TSX
2. TOU - TSX
3. ARIA - Nasdaq
4. MVN - TSX Venture
5. LQDT - Nasdaq
6. PTK - TSX Venture
7. E - TSX
8. SLTD - Nasdaq
9. SGY - TSX
10. TRX - TSX Venture

We should do a $20 buy in and winner takes all.

Should make the trash talking that much more enjoyable.

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:38 PM
BavarianBeast is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BavarianBeast Click here to Send BavarianBeast a Private Message Find more posts by BavarianBeast Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DJ_NAV
Neutral

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.04
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

I"m in. Certainly cant pick the 10 a month out. Too volatile these days.

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:39 PM
DJ_NAV is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DJ_NAV Click here to Send DJ_NAV a Private Message Find more posts by DJ_NAV Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

Originally posted by ercchry
with the volatility of the energy sector it seems insane to make your picks a month out

also how about other products that trade on canadian or US exchanges, can we pick those? like HOD/HOU, or etf's?

Go for it... however first make sure they work with google speadsheets, if they do, post the working ticker and exchange

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
We should do a $20 buy in and winner takes all.

Should make the trash talking that much more enjoyable.

Did you see the mousepad Flipstah got for winning the last time? No amount of money can equal the bragging rights of that, haha

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:41 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ercchry
Fifth Gear

quote:

whats the formula you need for spreadsheets?

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:42 PM
Feruk

What I drive: G6
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Sugarphreak, can we pick less than 10? Say 5? Otherwise I might just pick each stock twice.

Edit: Can we short?

Edit 2: How are you treating dividends?

Last edited by Feruk on 04-16-2015 at 07:50 PM

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:46 PM
Feruk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Feruk Click here to Send Feruk a Private Message Find more posts by Feruk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

whats the formula you need for spreadsheets?

These are a few example formulas of stocks on different exchanges:

=GOOGLEFINANCE("BMO.TO","PRICE")
=GOOGLEFINANCE("NASDAQ:AAPL","PRICE")

So for peoples list, the easiest thing for me is use these formats:

BMO.TO
NASDAQ:AAPL

You can check to see if it works easily using google docs btw

Originally posted by Feruk
Sugarphreak, can we pick less than 10? Say 5? Otherwise I might just pick each stock twice.

Edit: Can we short?

Edit 2: How are you treating dividends?

-I will allow you guys to pick the same stock twice or even three times if you really want. No more than that though.

-No shorting

-As per the OP, dividends will not be considered. The contest focuses on the principal amount only.

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 04-16-2015 at 08:01 PM

Old Post 04-16-2015 07:58 PM
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

Based on my investing success, I don't think an extra month of data is going to help me out in any way. Plus, I'll probably forget to enter and then be annoyed for the rest of the year.

I will edit my original post with the correct format and verify that they work with your spreadsheet before the deadline.

Old Post 04-16-2015 08:07 PM
ExtraSlow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ExtraSlow Click here to Send ExtraSlow a Private Message Find more posts by ExtraSlow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
24gtis2

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (1)

quote:

CAT - NYSE
CJ - TSX
COS - TSX
BBD.B - TSX
TCW - TSX
CPG - NYSE
BDT- TSX
WYNN - NYSE
CP - TSX
HPQ - NYSE

Old Post 04-16-2015 08:31 PM
24gtis2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 24gtis2 Click here to Send 24gtis2 a Private Message Find more posts by 24gtis2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ExtraSlow
Third Gear

quote:

I know I'm not running this, but I think if it's ten stocks, its' ten unique stocks without the ability to pick fewer, or pick the same one multiple times. Makes it harder to ride one or two lucky picks to victory.

Although, since I was 27th place out of 28 entries last time, maybe I'm just bitter.

Old Post 04-16-2015 08:48 PM
flipstah
The Gimp

quote:

i think you used up all of your golden horseshoes... having a single stock come out of no where and double in the last month isnt going to do the same thing when its only 1/10th of your portfolio

You are such a petty loser.

But I changed it.

Why do we need a month to pick? Technically, I can change mine so many times.

Old Post 04-16-2015 09:02 PM
Mibz

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 1.25
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

Excited to wait for the last day, and combine the portfolio's of two people who I think will succeed.

Fuck clean energy!

Old Post 04-16-2015 09:07 PM
Mibz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mibz Click here to Send Mibz a Private Message Find more posts by Mibz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

quote:

I think we should make the rule that Mibz needs to pick only clean energy stocks

Why do we need a month to pick? Technically, I can change mine so many times.

Last contest there were a lot of people who wanted to join but didn't see the thread in time.

A month will give people enough heads up and time to get their picks sorted

Old Post 04-16-2015 09:09 PM
Sorath
REAL Pedophile

What I drive: VANS AND MORE VANS
Posts/Day: 0.71
Trader Rating: (52)

quote:

HOU:TSX
AYA:TSX
WJA:TSX
RVX:TSX
MEG:TSX
CPG:TSX
AAPL:NASDAQ
TSLA:NASDAQ
HOU:TSX
VET:TSX

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I walked into one the other day, at 11:15 and she says "sorry, it's past 11". I said, "but the eggs are RIGHT THERE....in THAT door. You either grab me an egg, or you grab me a piece of turkey....what's the difference??". She still said "Sorry". WTF??

So I ordered the most disgusting tasting 12" sub, and at the end, said "Actually, I changed my mind. I'm going to head to the Subway down the road. They serve the breakfast sandwich all day long. Tell your boss, he can have this sandwich. Thanks anyways".

karmas gonna bite you in the ass

Old Post 04-17-2015 12:22 AM
Sorath is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sorath Click here to Send Sorath a Private Message Find more posts by Sorath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 02:34 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Real Estate / Finance > 2015 Beyond Portfolio Challange

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: