Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > What is the best water softener?

Author
Thread
Talies R
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)
User Rating: 100%

Exclamation What is the best water softener? quote:

Looking for a brand/model that is true 24x7 soft water without the regeneration (cleaning? whatever it is) break.

Kinetico? Feedback?

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-20-2015 03:08 PM
Talies R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talies R Click here to Send Talies R a Private Message Find more posts by Talies R Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.64
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

http://www.aquatell.ca/water-softeners/fleck-9100sxt

If you want a 2 tank system.

Do you really use your water 24/7?

Old Post 07-20-2015 03:11 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

Fleck has some of the best valve sets in the industry, that is what I have in my house as well.

Mine also has true 1" internals so I get great flow through it, and it monitors water usage so it only regens only when it needs, saving water and material. Which is good, because I soften my entire household supply using potassium instead of salt.

It is just a single tank system, it regenerates quietly at 2:00am every 2 weeks or so... I don't know why anybody would need to have softened water at 2:00am, lol.

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 07-20-2015 at 03:30 PM

Old Post 07-20-2015 03:22 PM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Talies R
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.07
Trader Rating: (6)

quote:

Thanks guys.

Any dealer recommendations for Fleck systems in Calgary?
I didn't realize you could set a regen timer on it, if that's the case every 2wks at 2AM is no big deal and a single tank would be fine.

Old Post 07-20-2015 04:11 PM
Talies R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Talies R Click here to Send Talies R a Private Message Find more posts by Talies R Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benyl
Hayan Namja

What I drive: One from Affalterbach and Dearborn
Posts/Day: 1.64
Trader Rating: (22)
User Rating: 250%

quote:

There are a bunch of settings. It will regen after 2 weeks or if you have used a certain amount of water. which ever is earlier.

It will also only regen at a specified time. When you program it, you build in a lot of leeway, so if you go over the amount of water, it won't regen in the middle of the day.

I ordered mine from Aquatell and install myself with about $30 worth of supplies.

Old Post 07-20-2015 04:30 PM
benyl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benyl Click here to Send benyl a Private Message Find more posts by benyl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Strider
First Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.19
Trader Rating: (40)

quote:

+1 for the Fleck 9100 valve

and agreed with Benyl on ordering from Aquatell and install yourself (assuming you're working with PEX).

Originally posted by max_boost
Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Old Post 07-20-2015 04:51 PM
Strider is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Strider Click here to Send Strider a Private Message Find more posts by Strider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)
User Rating: 98%

quote:

I use one from Costco, was like $399 or $450 or something, got one at home and installed same one at parents, work perfectly fine. No point of spending crazy money on something simple. Mine regenerates like 3am every 10 days or so.

Old Post 07-20-2015 11:29 PM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
revelations
Third Gear

What I drive: 2g Eclipse / EP3
Posts/Day: 0.99
Trader Rating: (5)

quote:

While youre at it, get a whole house water filter system as well. Well worth it to help the H/W heater, softener and other appliances in the house. You can slightly lower the amount of softening required.

Old Post 07-20-2015 11:34 PM
revelations is offline Click Here to See the Profile for revelations Click here to Send revelations a Private Message Find more posts by revelations Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roopi
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.31
Trader Rating: (49)
User Rating: 237%

quote:

I have a Kinetico system. As for feedback I've never had an issue with it and works flawlessly.

Old Post 07-20-2015 11:41 PM
roopi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roopi Click here to Send roopi a Private Message Find more posts by roopi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deee_wreck
First Gear

What I drive: WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (23)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

-bump-

Bought the one from Costco, can someone recommend an installer ?

Nikon D50
Gaming Keyboard and Mouse

Old Post 09-19-2015 06:43 PM
deee_wreck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deee_wreck Click here to Send deee_wreck a Private Message Find more posts by deee_wreck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigShow
First Gear

What I drive: Corvette
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (5)
User Rating: 99%

quote:

Call Derek at BRM

thewaterman.ca/

Did a great job on my install.

Old Post 09-20-2015 12:12 AM
BigShow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigShow Click here to Send BigShow a Private Message Find more posts by BigShow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
avishal26
First Gear

What I drive: '12 Audi A7 S-Line
Posts/Day: 0.18
Trader Rating: (11)

quote:

Originally posted by BigShow
Call Derek at BRM

thewaterman.ca/

Did a great job on my install.

+1

- 2011 Chrysler 300C AWD (Hemi), Bright White on Black Interior (SOLD)
- 2006 Infiniti M35x Premium Journey, Obsidian Black on Bourbon Interior (SOLD)
- 1994 Jeep YJ softtop, 0-60 optional (SOLD)
- 1990 Nissan 240sx Sedan, Silvia Front (SOLD)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves”. - Edward R. Murrow

"When there are people in power that are more worried about what they can get away with legally as opposed to what is right or wrong, no amount of reform in the world will make a difference." - Rick Mercer

Old Post 09-21-2015 03:41 AM
avishal26 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for avishal26 Click here to Send avishal26 a Private Message Find more posts by avishal26 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eblend
Second Gear

What I drive: 03 Cadillac CTS
Posts/Day: 0.49
Trader Rating: (101)

quote:

Originally posted by deee_wreck
-bump-

Bought the one from Costco, can someone recommend an installer ?

I posted pictures of my install and the part numbers required for the trickiest pieces, rest is easy with pex crimper, like lego.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/water-s...;postid=4289049

Old Post 09-23-2015 02:44 AM
eblend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for eblend Click here to Send eblend a Private Message Find more posts by eblend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deee_wreck
First Gear

What I drive: WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4
Posts/Day: 0.12
Trader Rating: (23)
User Rating: 91%

quote:

Got two quotes , one from BRM ($250+tax), water solutions (aka jug free ) $195+tax

Spoke to both, and scheduled water solutions for next week. He explained he'd install the by-pass, and throw in a couple bags of salt as well.

I'd do it myself but, don't have the time nor equipment. Looking at the old posts you guys spent $70-$300 plus 3-4hours for installs. I don't wanna risk the leaks on my DIY project.

Will report back after.

Nikon D50
Gaming Keyboard and Mouse

Old Post 09-24-2015 06:07 AM
deee_wreck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deee_wreck Click here to Send deee_wreck a Private Message Find more posts by deee_wreck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bella_Jeri

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.03
Trader Rating: (0)

Re: What is the best water softener? quote:

I am planning to add a water softener to my home since we have hard water problems. I plan to also run a separate line off the softener so I can wash my cars.

I am also planning on buying a electromagnetic water softener which my plumber recommends. This will allow it to be run through the entire house and be used for cooking, ice cubes and drinking.

Have any of you had any experience with this kind of softener instead of the typical salt based systems.

Thanks!

Update: After researching for two or three hours on google I am finally going for Fleck 5600-SXT, this website also suggested that it is the best available right now, still if you guys have any better option please let me know. $700 is a big amount, so I don't want to take a chance.

Last edited by Bella_Jeri on 04-20-2017 at 12:31 PM

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:10 AM
Bella_Jeri is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bella_Jeri Click here to Send Bella_Jeri a Private Message Find more posts by Bella_Jeri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sugarphreak
Fifth Gear

What I drive: A moving pylon
Posts/Day: 2.08
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 155%

quote:

When I was researching softeners, I saw a lot of electromagnetic ones on the internet... without going into a detail, they are a scam.

If you want an alternative to salt you have 3 other realistic options:

1) Potassium softening
This is the way I went, it is more expensive, but the water won't kill your plants and it is supposed to be healthier for you

Pro: Most salt softeners can be used to potassium (just a longer wash cycle) which keeps the installation cost down, proven and widely used
Cons: More expensive than salt, hard to find places to buy potassium pellets

2) Citrus Softening
This works using a process called "chelation", and the main company that sells it is called NuvoH20. It does help reduce scale, however it is technically a water conditioner, and not a softener.

Pros: Doesn't need electricity, simple install, not too expensive up front
Cons: Gimmicky, questionable and unproven manufacturer testing results, expensive replacement cartridges (I think over 100$ a pop).

3) Reverse Osmosis
This is the guaranteed way to get the best water ever, however it is expensive and wastes a huge amount of water. You also need to add in minerals so it will taste decent after. Putting a system like this in a residential home is overkill and silly.

Pros: It will remove everything from your water
Cons: Stupid expensive upfront, hard to maintain, wastes a lot of water and energy, you have to buy minerals to add back into your water

Last edited by Sugarphreak on 04-19-2017 at 05:39 AM

Old Post 04-19-2017 05:37 AM
Sugarphreak is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sugarphreak Click here to Send Sugarphreak a Private Message Find more posts by Sugarphreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
R!zz0
First Gear

What I drive: A Slow Car
Posts/Day: 0.17
Trader Rating: (0)
User Rating: 97%

quote:

Did not know you can drink. Interesting.

1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

Old Post 04-23-2017 07:24 PM
R!zz0 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for R!zz0 Click here to Send R!zz0 a Private Message Find more posts by R!zz0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The time now is 07:04 AM (GMT) Post New Thread   
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > What is the best water softener?

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: