Beyond.ca

Registration is free! Car Forums - Member Rides Car Forums - Find other members Car Forums - Calendar Car Forums - Frequently Asked Questions Forum Rules and Regulations Car Forums - Search Logout
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Time for a new lawnmower

Author
Thread
The_Penguin
Neutral

What I drive: '10 CTS
Posts/Day: 0.11
Trader Rating: (2)
User Rating: 99%

Time for a new lawnmower quote:

I haven't been able to cut the lawns for 2 months due to an injury.
Mrs. Penguin can't start our 20 year old Toro (it always starts for me on 3 pulls - it likes me) so she wants to get a new one.

She likes the idea of the cordless electric, particularly the Greenworks 40v twin blade. Looks good to me but knowing Lithium Ion packs don't last forever, I tend to think twice. Personally I'll do another gas powered, or battery, but not corded, friggen hate those.

Have any Beyonders used one of these battery units?

Also, any late-season deals out there? Budget is up to $600 but prefer cheaper.

Report this post | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-07-2015 06:28 PM
The_Penguin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

jacky4566
First Gear

What I drive: is broken
Posts/Day: 0.21
Trader Rating: (7)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Cant speak for battery mower but I have a Reel mower from Lee & Valley and its fricken awesome.
No maintenance ever. Self sharpening blade. $150 for life.

Yes it requires slightly more effort to use but if you keep up with weekly/bi-weekly mows then its no different from a regular mower.

Old Post 09-07-2015 06:55 PM
jacky4566 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jacky4566 Click here to Send jacky4566 a Private Message Find more posts by jacky4566 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
carson blocks
First Gear

What I drive: Leaks oil and is slower than taking the bus.
Posts/Day: 0.13
User Rating: 103%

quote:

At this time in the season, check the sears.ca clearance and outlet sections as it's often half price. I scored a $600 6.5hp electric start RWD mower for $300 and a half price trimmer as well. That said, I'm thinking about the reel mower jacky4566 mentioned as I think it might be easier on my steep front hill working around my trees than the super heavy gas mower.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
like fuck if I ever want a toy that has an engine. Bikes, sleds, quads, no fuckin way. I much prefer to get on a mountain bike and earn it like a man. Real toys don't have engines. "Motor" and "sport" should never be associated with each other if you ask me.

Old Post 09-07-2015 07:02 PM
carson blocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for carson blocks Click here to Send carson blocks a Private Message Find more posts by carson blocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr2mike
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.58
Trader Rating: (10)
User Rating: 95%

quote:

Had a battery one given to me from relatives. It's quiet but that's where the benefits end.
It's heavy with the massive battery and if it's in a unheated garage over winter... battery life will die off quickly.
I'd do gas powered. Newer ones are easier to start. Although I still love my family relic that's 30 yrs old and still works fine. Tougher to start but only if you don't know what you're doing. Keep the gas fresh and it's fine.

Old Post 09-08-2015 07:06 PM
mr2mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr2mike Click here to Send mr2mike a Private Message Find more posts by mr2mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
schurchill39
Second Gear

What I drive: Ford, Acura, Harley
Posts/Day: 0.34
Trader Rating: (15)

quote:

I had a craftsman gas powered unit and recently replaced it with a self propelled battery powered unit that was given to me. Despite the value of the battery powered one being 3x what I paid for my gas job, I still prefer the gas powered one. I have a smaller yard so the self propel feature is a huge pain in the ass as it just makes it harder for me to go back and forth around tight spots. Its also heavier than my gas unit and feels much more cheaply made. The Mrs. would probably have an easier time getting the battery powered one started but IMHO its an inferior unit.

Originally posted by rage2
...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You dudes have some squeaky clean assholes. I commend you.

Old Post 09-09-2015 02:18 AM
schurchill39 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for schurchill39 Click here to Send schurchill39 a Private Message Find more posts by schurchill39 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sr20s14zenki
Fourth Gear

What I drive: 3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone
Posts/Day: 1.54
Trader Rating: (47)
User Rating: 94%

quote:

My lawnboy starts first pull even after winter, lol. Yknow what sucks? Hit something metal in the grass, crank is bent =( . Not worth replacing. but it was awesome.

Old Post 09-09-2015 02:21 AM
sr20s14zenki is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sr20s14zenki Click here to Send sr20s14zenki a Private Message Find more posts by sr20s14zenki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Thanks for the replies.
These heavy battery units must be lead-acid batteries?
The li-ion ones are very light.

Old Post 09-09-2015 03:55 AM
The_Penguin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The_Penguin Click here to Send The_Penguin a Private Message Find more posts by The_Penguin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrSector9
First Gear

What I drive: Horse
Trader Rating: (4)
User Rating: 100%

quote:

Had a battery fail recently on a customer and replacement was $250 +, they had paid that for the mower so another mower in the scrap yard. Lead Acid battery packs are usually cheaper but still $100+

My suggestion is get a name brand unit with electric start, Sears no longer services mowers, they do some warranty repairs however sometimes booking/scheduling can be insane. Other big box stores do sell reliable name brands but at the same time do not service them so PLEASE even if you see a smoking deal at a box store call a dealer and see if they can match it or not.

A good gas mower cuts far superior to an electric as well (mulch/bagging is also better)

So TLDR: buy name brand mower with electric start from a dealer (not a box store) if they can match the price you need to pay or a good manual reel mower (cut amazing)

Schurchill: husqvarna 7021p, honda engine, large rear wheels, no self propel, around $399.99 never have to buy another mower

Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Old Post 09-09-2015 04:14 AM
MrSector9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MrSector9 Click here to Send MrSector9 a Private Message Find more posts by MrSector9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Originally posted by MrSector9

My suggestion is get a name brand unit with electric start, Sears no longer services mowers, they do some warranty repairs however sometimes booking/scheduling can be insane. Other big box stores do sell reliable name brands but at the same time do not service them so PLEASE even if you see a smoking deal at a box store call a dealer and see if they can match it or not.

A good gas mower cuts far superior to an electric as well (mulch/bagging is also better)

Thanks. Electric start may be a good compromise, as I really want to stay with the power of gas. Looking at the state of my lawn right now, I'd bet a battery mower would not handle it well.

Any suggestions on dealers? Arn's is on the way home from work, may stop in there.

Old Post 09-09-2015 03:17 PM
killramos
Third Gear

What I drive: ///M235i
Posts/Day: 1.10

quote:

i have never used anything but an electric. Have a nice black and Decker one. Pretty convenient to just plug it in in the garage and never have to worry about having gas on hand or anything.

Corded electric is more powerful if that's a compromise you can handle.

* Use of this avatar makes no statement of me implying I own a BMW M division car, that the BMW M235i model is a BMW M division car, or any other statement regarding BMW M division or its debated superiority over other makes and models of vehicles

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.

Originally posted by Toma
fact.

Old Post 09-09-2015 03:21 PM
killramos is offline Click Here to See the Profile for killramos Click here to Send killramos a Private Message Find more posts by killramos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sputnik
Third Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.61
User Rating: 98%

quote:

Originally posted by The_Penguin
Thanks for the replies.
These heavy battery units must be lead-acid batteries?
The li-ion ones are very light.

My neighbour has the Gardena 4043 lawnmower and if she lets the lawn grow too long it takes her 3 full charges (10-12 hrs per charge) to cut around 4000 sq ft.

She is buying a gas mower at the end of the season.

http://www.amazon.ca/GARDENA-Electr...e/dp/B001P4LZIG
click for larger version
» Click image for larger version

Old Post 09-09-2015 03:41 PM
sputnik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sputnik Click here to Send sputnik a Private Message Find more posts by sputnik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mix123

Posts/Day: 0.02
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

Honda

Old Post 09-09-2015 03:50 PM
mix123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mix123 Click here to Send mix123 a Private Message Find more posts by mix123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spike98
Second Gear

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.33
Trader Rating: (25)
User Rating: 93%

quote:

Once my yard is finished, this will be the one i will be getting. The youtube reviews are fantastic. Li-ion, fast charge, 45 min cut time.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/20-...wn-mower/865553

Old Post 09-09-2015 04:19 PM
spike98 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for spike98 Click here to Send spike98 a Private Message Find more posts by spike98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MrSector9
First Gear

quote:

My suggestion for a dealer would be me but that being said even if you go somewhere else like arms let me know the price they give you and I can let you know if it is a good deal or what else to ask for.

Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

Old Post 09-09-2015 06:04 PM
MrSector9 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MrSector9 Click here to Send MrSector9 a Private Message Find more posts by MrSector9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A790
PC Principal

What I drive: A future rustbucket.
Posts/Day: 1.31
Trader Rating: (68)
User Rating: 103%

quote:

I have a Kobalt 19" cordless electric. I love this thing. Came with two batteries- one lasts about an hour, the other for half an hour. I can do my entire front/back and trim on a single battery.

The batteries plug into any other Kobalt cordless electric product, from mowers to trimmers.

I'm very happy with it. Starts in 3 seconds, is quiet, and does a great job.

Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses & Niche Content Websites.

No contracts, just results. Websites, SEO, PPC, Content Creation. Learn more @ SimplifiedSEO.com (website under dev).

Old Post 09-09-2015 07:20 PM
A790 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A790 Click here to Send A790 a Private Message Find more posts by A790 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BerserkerCatSplat

What I drive: Jeep of Theseus
Posts/Day: 1.32
Trader Rating: (25)

quote:

I have a Craftsman RWD 22" gas mower, got it on sale for $300 (~half price) in December or something. No complaints so far, cuts very well and the B&S engine starts on the first pull every time. I considered an electric unit, but I didn't want to have it taking up space in the garage over winter and the longevity (and associated replacement cost) of batteries turned me off.

With that said, we were given a Ryobi 4-stroke trimmer and while it's good and powerful, it's noisy as all hell and if I were buying a trimmer it'd be a cordless electric, no question.

Old Post 09-09-2015 09:25 PM
BerserkerCatSplat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BerserkerCatSplat Click here to Send BerserkerCatSplat a Private Message Visit BerserkerCatSplat's homepage! Find more posts by BerserkerCatSplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
huch

What I drive:
Posts/Day: 0.01
Trader Rating: (0)

quote:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ari...wn-mower/916274

They sell these in the store for $250.

It's nothing fancy by any means but it has a wicked motor with enough torque to get the job done. No complaints at all.

Old Post 09-09-2015 09:35 PM
huch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for huch Click here to Send huch a Private Message Find more posts by huch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Weapon_R

What I drive: 335i
Posts/Day: 1.64
Trader Rating: (101)

quote:

The electric mowers don't seem to hold a charge for long enough and eventually need a battery replacement, which is expensive. I picked up a craftsman gas mower with key start last year end of season for $300 and it's been fantastic. It's awesome not having to pull start it each time.

Originally posted by r3cc0s
Felon or Mistermeiner

Old Post 09-09-2015 11:09 PM
Weapon_R is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Weapon_R Click here to Send Weapon_R a Private Message Find more posts by Weapon_R Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The_Penguin
Neutral

quote:

Thanks for all the replies.
Didn't another lawnmower thread (I always find them after I start a new one) mention that Briggs and Stratton engines are no longer the decent quality they once were?

Old Post 09-09-2015 11:41 PM
MrSector9
First Gear

quote:

Briggs were never a quality engine but the new ones are better for sure. They still run forever but they are usually noisier and have more vibration compared to a Honda or a Kawasaki. Look after it and they will still last 20+ years.

Sent you a pm penguin regarding mower pricing.

Old Post 09-10-2015 12:23 AM
The time now is 05:27 PM (GMT) Post New Thread   

Last Thread   Next Thread
Beyond.ca - Car Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.9 Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Lounge > Home and Garden > Time for a new lawnmower

Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this Thread

Forum Rules: